2 replies to this topic

#1 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:21 AM

As some of you may already be aware, I am the publisher of the 200+ Antique Maps of Texas CDROM which was first introduced in 2001 and is now in its 3rd edition. Details at my website below

I am in the final stages of preparation of another CDROM volume tentatively entitled "Antique Maps & Views of Fort Worth, Dallas & North Texas" for publication early this fall. An early cover design is attached. This time the format will allow operation with both the Windows and Mac operating systems. Unlike the previous CD, this one is more of a labor of love since it is much more specialized.

I have been collecting Fort Worth, Tarrant County & North Texas maps for a long time and have a fairly good selection. While there will be a number of old Dallas and North Texas maps included to fill the CDROM, as a personal preference I am frankly more interested in building this compilation around Tarrant County and Fort Worth.

I also intend to have a section on local rail maps and the Rosen Heights & Northern Texas Traction city streetcar & interurban lines. A North Fort Worth and Niles City category is also in place.

Presently there are about 75+ Fort Worth/Tarrant County maps and views ready to go into the CD. In very high resolution the total reaches almost 250 megabytes. Most of these are from my personal collection. To fill and give continuity a few are from public domain sources and a few are from other individuals who have kindly allowed use of maps from their collection.

If you have older pre-1950 Fort Worth/Tarrant county maps or views of this nature, no matter what the size or content, I would like to ask that you consider allowing their publication in this new volume. This includes road maps, oil maps, pocket maps, transit maps, engineering maps, rail maps, commercial brochures or broadsides, promotional maps, or similar maps or city views and pictures of any nature or size. Even map fragments will be considered.

The CD will be encrypted for safety. Full credit will be given on the map itself and the image will not be individually accessible. All printing will be low resolution and will be visibly watermarked to prevent republication with full credit shown for the map source on the print. If high resolution scans are not available I will have them made with a copy to the donor at no charge. If your map is a copy, not an original, I will consider it under certain conditions if it meets publication standards.

If have or know of some one that has maps or views or pictures that should be included in this volume, I would appreciate it if I could be contacted. All information is on the signature below. It is my intent to make this little CDROM a landmark reference for readers, historians, researchers and institutions as well as a popular gift item. You interest and help in appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

Pete Charlton
Electric Books
P.O. Box 79260
Fort Worth, TX. 76179
817-238-9579 Fax & Phone
www.lectricbooks.com
ebooks@lectricbooks.com
djold1@lectricbooks.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#2 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE(djold1 @ Jul 10 2006, 11:21 AM) View Post

If you have older pre-1950 Fort Worth/Tarrant county maps or views of this nature, no matter what the size or content, I would like to ask that you consider allowing their publication in this new volume.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pete, I have nothing of value or interest as regards Ft. Worth Maps, but let me know when you get around to El Paso, I have something that MIGHT be interesting.

#3 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:28 AM

Thanks Pup...

While I'm probably not going to do a CD on El Paso alone, I have been collecting older and antique maps of Texas cities of all sizes for some time. My current AMoT CD has a nice 1906 El Paso on it. I also have a 1916, Corpus Christi, a 1920 San Antonio, 1884 Houston, etc. There aren't a lot of older city maps of Texas cities around and it's been a lot of fun and I have learned a lot by collecting these.

In addition to asking for the submissions of possible inclusions on the new CD, I neglected to mention above that I am also interested in acquiring older Fort Worth maps for this collection as well. I can be contacted at the emails above or by phone.

In the last few days I have decided to focus this new CDROM on Fort Worth & Tarrant County and to only peripherally include other North Texas maps as necessary. The space gained will allow me to include some additional Fort Worth related materials that are not specifically maps, but which I think will add a good deal of local interest.

In addition, since my initial request, I have had several replies to my general request for submissions from collectors with very interesting maps and other items that will probably wind up in the CD. I think the content is going to be excellent. I urge anyone that has any Fort Worth maps or pictorial items that they feel might be interesting to contact me ASAP.

It looks as if there will be a number of outside submissions for the CD and that the whole effort will end up being something of a collaboration of those of us who have a deep interest in Fort Worth & Tarrant County history. Therefore I have decided that while the Antique Maps of Texas Volume 2: Fort Worth, Tarrant Count & North Texas CDROM will be marketed commercially, all proceeds will go directly to a well known and deserving Fort Worth historical institution. Arrangements are being made and an announcement will follow soon.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users