• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mattaken

mattaken

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Reading, the great outdoors, and the history of this, our fair city.

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:46 PM

I don't know how relevant this is to anything, guess I'm just wasting time. Drove south on Main Street the other day and passed the old grain silos up close for the first time in years. What's the story on these? How long have they been out of commission? I'm relatively young (30) and they have stood unused for as long as I can remember.

I recall the local news reporting a few unsuccessful attempts to implode some Silos (I believe on the North side of Ft Worth - correct me if I'm wrong) not too many years ago. Turns out they were made of stern stuff and it took several attempts (and lots more TNT) before they finally came crashing down.

I wonder how much longer before the ones on Main are doomed to implosion? South Side is slowly seeing more and more development and I reckon that it won't be too long before that this real estate is being sought after for something more profitable. I know of one silo in North Dallas that has been converted into a climbing gym - smart, but there's really no practical/profitable use for such structures anymore. I've always sort of admired them and consider them a nice reminder of when agriculture was alive and well in this area. I would be sad to see them go.

What about everyone else? Eyesores or historical icons?

#2 TexasPacific52

TexasPacific52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Railroad fan, Boyscouts, Photography and some backyard birdwatching

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:44 PM

I assume your talking about the silos in the 1600 blk of Main St just south of Allen St. There are two sets of silos. One on each side of the road. The silos on the west side are actually still in use. They receive RR cars and truck shipments but it's not a real big operation. The silos on the east side are abandoned. They removed all of the large exterior metal walkways and equipment a few years ago and scrapped the equipment.

Actually, the silos are practical and profitable for some companies. The silos in Saginaw are huge and big money makers. One big one is for a flour company. The silos on the south side and the one on short east side must have been from smaller companies and fell to the competition.

Agriculture is booming but today's product is so sought after that it goes straight to market without needing to be stored in silos. The BNSF & UP railroads have daily grain trains that come through town coming out of the grain belt and heading for the gulf coast ports or Mexico. No need to stop here anymore for the most part. In the panhandle, silos are widely used because they store grain for the cattle lots.

In regards to tearing them down....I believe your right. It takes massive explosives to take some of those concrete ones down. I went through Lubbock a few years ago when they were tearing one down. They were having to use a ball/crane and it was taking for ever to make a dent in it because of all of the reinforcing rebar in it.

I dont think that property on South Main ST would be useful for anything other than industrial or commercial. Way to much railroad traffic right next door to it. I dont mind living a few blocks from one track but I cant see how some of those residents can handle 3 major rail lines and one large railroad yard right next door to them.

I think the most interesting thing at this location is the small KRESS building tucked in next to the silo. Is there a relationship between KRESS and the silo companies? I've never seen the KRESS buidling occupied so I don't it's story.

JPB
FTW

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

Welcome to the forum, mattaken! The grain elevators that were imploded were on the short West Side where So7 is now located. It did take several attempts to bring that one down, which is more the norm for elevator implosions. They are designed to withstand spontaneous combustion of the grain.

The elevators in the 1600 block of S. Main are actually five separate buildings. Two are on the west side and three are on the east side. TexasPacific, which building has "KRESS" on it? I'm curious because those are the old Kimbell Milling Elevators, and all the buildings that I have seen have "Kimbell" on them.

#4 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:57 AM

They are designed to withstand spontaneous combustion of the grain.

What?

Please elaborate. Very interesting.

I too would like to know more about the Kimbell and KRESS arrangements.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#5 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Mar 28 2006, 09:57 AM) View Post

They are designed to withstand spontaneous combustion of the grain.

What?

Please elaborate. Very interesting.

I too would like to know more about the Kimbell and KRESS arrangements.

Grain silos are prone to explosion. The powder from all that grain suspends in the air and mixes with the oxygen - a spark could spread from one floating grain to the next, resulting in a huge chain reaction explosion.

I thought the only Kress store in Fort Worth was the one downtown. I would also love to know more about this other Kress building.

--

Kara B.

#6 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:22 AM

WOW! I honestly did not know that.

Yet all this time I had been thinking that they were structured as so to keep the rodents out and to prevent tampering with by competing companies. rotflmao.gif

Boy, I sure hope my nephews didn't remember a word I said a few years back about them there silos. biggrin.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#7 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:15 PM

DeBruce Grain Elevator Explosion in Wichita, KS:

IPB Image

Wikipedia.org - Flour bomb

More info than you could ever want to know.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#8 TexasPacific52

TexasPacific52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Railroad fan, Boyscouts, Photography and some backyard birdwatching

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:58 PM

Mr. Roberts is correct. It is not KRESS but in fact KIMBELL. I just drove down the block to verify it. I dont know where I came up with KRESS.

The KIMBELL building is a one story brick structure with several wings. All of the windows and doors are boarded up. Looks like they have a serious plumbing problem in the front. I dont recall ever seeing the building occupied.

Sorry to all for my screw up....Just checking to see who's paying attention...obviously not me enough..

John Briggs
FTW

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

Don't worry about not having a good recall on the name on the buildings. Kay Kimbell, the once owner of Kimbell Mills, is the same man who had a fabulous art collection that is housed in a museum in the Cultural District.

#10 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 05 July 2023 - 12:08 PM

The Star-T has published some articles on the silos on Alice off Hemphill: https://ca.sports.ya...a8-TyssBUfRK2P5

#11 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 05 July 2023 - 12:40 PM

The Star-T has published some articles on the silos on Alice off Hemphill: https://ca.sports.ya...a8-TyssBUfRK2P5

hmm-ok.gif

My blog: Doohickie

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 10:44 AM

The city of Fort Worth is taking renewed steps toward the demolition of an abandoned grain elevator complex on the edge of the Worth Heights Neighborhood.  The story in in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.  Below is a link, if you have a subscription:

https://www.star-tel...e287399240.html

#13 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 12:32 PM

That reminds me of the member here, years ago when talking about TEXRail, saying that he couldn't imagine who thinks it's a good idea to run trains through the Mistletoe Heights neighorhood.  I think my reply was along the lines of "I bet 100 years ago there were a couple of train engineers running through the area saying to each other 'can you believe they're building a neighborhood right next to these train tracks?'"

So if they can't reach the owner, is the owner paying taxes?  If they spend that kind of money on demolition, can they foreclose or place a lien on the property to be reimbursed for the expense?  (Sorry, I don't have access to the article.)

• TLA likes this

#14 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 05:08 PM

The silo in question is currently on fire

#15 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 05:25 PM

The silo in question is currently on fire

:huh: I heard Paulie Walnuts was spotted in the neighborhood.

On another note, does anyone know what the grain silos held?  When I was a kid, we'd often come out of services at Travis Avenue and the wind smelled like fried chicken.  My parents told me it was cotton seed being stored at one of the nearby grain silos.  Wonder if it was this one?

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 08:28 PM

I didn't get home until late, so I did not notice the smoke.

The cotton seed mill was further north, closer to W. Biddison Street.  This silo is right off of W. Dickson Street, approximately 3 blocks south.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users