• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts
  • Interests:Writing, music, photography, games, sci-fi.

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:40 PM

Well, as I've mentioned a few times, I've recently moved to a 4th floor loft at the Electric Building at 7th @ Lamar. Got moved in over the weekend, and here are a few pics:

IPB Image

This is the view out the living room windows. Despite the presence of Burnett Plaza, I actually like the view quite a bit. Burnett Park really is a lovely little hideaway, and one that's forgotten by many in the city. I'm glad that this end of downtown is starting to see some action, with the Neil P. joining the Electric Building in bringing residents here on the west side of downtown.

IPB Image

The jumbo-sized closet by the front door.

IPB Image

A pic of the bathroom, sans shower curtain.

IPB Image

Looking out into the living room from the loft. Those windows are the original ones from 1929, and they're huge. That's a 27-inch TV, for reference.

IPB Image

Another view of the huge old windows.

IPB Image

The dining area behind the living room.

IPB Image

The loft. A small bed and my eMac live up here.

IPB Image

The kitchen. I'm loving the counter space.

IPB Image

The equally huge windows in the bedroom.

IPB Image

The bedroom.

IPB Image

A slightly blurry view of the loft area from the living room.

IPB Image

Another shot of the living room.

IPB Image

Another shot of the bathroom.

IPB Image

Now, for the view. This is out the window, looking left. You see the Neil P. Anderson building, St. Andrew's Episcopal Church on the corner, Burnett Park, and part of the U. S. Courthouse. Yes, I can hear the bells and the songs they play drifting on the breeze down from St. Andrew's.

IPB Image

Looking more right, over Burnett Park. Burnett Plaza is starting to come in to view on the right. Between BP and the courthouse, you can also see the Central Fire Station, and (hard to see in this size) the towers of the Public Market on Henderson and the old Dr. Pepper bottling plant. At the edge of the courthouse, you can see some of the hospitals.

IPB Image

Looking out the windows toward Burnett Plaza and 500 West 7th Street.

IPB Image

Looking right, through the fire escape, down Lamar Street. At the end of the street, you can see the Central Library.

IPB Image

Looking down at the intersection of 7th and Lamar.

Getting nice & settled now. Need to do some decorating - I have a 20x30 poster-sized print of that old Electric Building/Neil P. Anderson/7th Street Canyon postcard I posted a while back that I've had printed, and will frame for the wall.

So, there it is - my own little home downtown. Not as glamorous as The Tower, I'll admit, but I'm loving it all the same. Especially nice since I work in Burnett Plaza, so I have a nice and *short* commute. smile.gif

- Architecture/urban planning/transit blogger, Fort Worth Weekly

Fort Worth District 9 Zoning Commissioner

#2 lens314

lens314

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes, Cars, Computers, LEGO

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:49 PM

Yay, MST3K smile.gif

Nice view!
-Doug

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

Very nice shots. I'm glad I wasn't the only dork that noticed MST3K on the TV in the first shot.

#4 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

Great pictures. Hope you enjoy your new place. I lived in FW when those apartments were fairly new. Had a really good friend that lived there. He really loved the place. I've been to some really good parties there.

#5 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:24 PM

Yes, Thanks for the tour. Great Views.

[shhhh quite note... toilet lid was up. you might want to lower it.. for a polite internet wide photographic reshoot]

Dave

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#6 bburton

bburton
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:25 PM

Your new digs look very elegant and cozy at the same time. I think you'll be quite content there.

#7 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:04 PM

must be nice to call that place "home sweet home" cool.gif

#8 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:37 AM

Cool Pad man! cool.gif
SO...........when is the LOFT WARMING party? biggrin.gif

John

#9 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:43 PM

Awesome views from your new home, Kevin! Is it expensive to live there?

And since nobody else is asking about a couple of the prior posts...what the heck is MST3K?

#10 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE(Wildcard @ Mar 14 2006, 11:43 PM) View Post

Awesome views from your new home, Kevin! Is it expensive to live there?

And since nobody else is asking about a couple of the prior posts...what the heck is MST3K?

I guess everybody has their own definition of "expensive," but I don't think it's bad at all. Certainly not for downtown.

MST3k is Mystery Science Theater 3000, a truly marvelous program that ran from 1988 to 1999 on various channels (local KTMA in Minneapolis, Comedy Central, and Sci-Fi). The Peabody Award-winning show centered on main character Joel Robinson, a janitor at a top-secret research facility, Gizmonic Institute, who was kidnapped by the Institute's maniacal Dr. Clayton Forrester and his lab assistant TV's Frank. Dr. Forrester built a space station, the Satellite of Love (or SOL), and marooned Joel on the station to serve as the guinea pig for his evil plot. He would force Joel to watch the worst movies ever made, and observe his reactions, until he found the one movie awful enough to use to force mankind into submission and take over the world. To help him survive the movies, Joel took parts from the SOL to make four robots. Cambot served as the camera, and it's through his lens that we watch the proceedings. Gypsy maintained the ship's systems, while Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot accompanied Joel in the Mystery Science Theater. The three used their only weapon - their senses of humor - to battle their way through the movies, by making jokes at the film's expense. We watch as Joel, Tom, and Crow, silhouetted in movie theater seats along the bottom of the screen, rip the movie to shreds. About halfway through the show's run, Joel escaped, and Dr. Forrester kidnapped his new temp, Mike Nelson, to replace him, who carried the show onward through the other half of its run.

From the show's site:

"Essentially the same thing happened in each episode: After some brief preliminaries, Dr. F. sent Joel/Mike the movie and in response Joel/Mike and the bots yelled "Movie Sign!" and then rushed to their places in the theater as we, the viewers, saw Cambot's path through several strange hatchways to his place in the back of the theater. There, Cambot watched as Joel/Mike and the bots took their seats and the movie began. We could see their silhouettes, sitting in theater seats at the bottom of our TV screens and, as they watched the movie, the three offered riotously funny commentary, satire and general heckling. The comments from Joel/Mike and the bots, about 700 per episode, were the real heart and point of the show. The comments varied a great deal, from scatological silliness and sarcastic needling one moment, to complex wordplay and obscure references the next. The show ran two hours, enough time to show an entire horrible movie, and sometimes a terrible one-reeler, as well. And three times (about once every half hour) during the movie, Joel/Mike and the bots came out of the theater to the SOL's bridge for short comedy bits known as host segments -- tomfoolery which may or may not have had some connection to the film they were watching."

The show aired 197 episodes, and got its own movie in 1996. "Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie" featured Mike & the bots riffing on the old Universal sci-fi film "This Island Earth."

The best resource on the show is the fan-site-turned-official-site, http://www.mst3k.com .

#11 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:25 PM

Slowly but surely starting to get some decor in the loft. I've added my "Forbidden Planet" poster, my big print of the vintage Electric Building postcard, and a Russian painting I've had for years:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#12 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:39 PM

What a great view! I worked in Burnett Plaza I think in 1989.

That closet by the front door...whoa. How wonderful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users