11 replies to this topic

#1 joeqpublix

joeqpublix

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:26 AM

Being a native of Arlington, I have always known of the area around Lake Arlington as an upper end nice neighborhood (for Arlington anyway) but have always wondered why the Fort Worth side of the lake never developed any nice areas. I know there are established neighborhoods like Stop Six there but the south end of the lake has larger tracks of land. Is it due to the city owning the land on the lake, as opposed to Arlington's side?

#2 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • Location:Stop Six/Echo Heights/Eastwood/Forest Hill/Meadowbrook/Fossill Creek

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(joeqpublix @ Feb 23 2006, 04:26 AM) View Post

Being a native of Arlington, I have always known of the area around Lake Arlington as an upper end nice neighborhood (for Arlington anyway) but have always wondered why the Fort Worth side of the lake never developed any nice areas. I know there are established neighborhoods like Stop Six there but the south end of the lake has larger tracks of land. Is it due to the city owning the land on the lake, as opposed to Arlington's side?

IMHO, the Stop Six side has been slow to develop because:
1A) It's a predominantly black area.
1B) There is a lot industrial waste and trash that would need to be cleaned up.

Tarrant County has built some new homes on the westside of the lake, but the area still looks like a wasteland east of 820 between Ramey and Berry.

Having grown up in Stop Six and Eastwood, I always felt that the area by lake could be a nice development.

#3 joeqpublix

joeqpublix

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:41 PM

I would guess that people don't want to be close to the power plant at the north end of the lake, inhibiting developement between there and Stop Six. South of Stop Six, maybe it's more beneficial for the city to collect taxes from commercial enterprises than resource draining home developments, not to mention difficulties in rezoning. I guess the schools in the area scare people away from building new neighborhoods.

#4 Lobster Eastside

Lobster Eastside

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

Anyone know the history of the cemetery on the west side of the lake on Arkansas Lane almost to the dam? We used to hang out there in high school but the road has been gated for quite some time.

#5 Flynnyrd

Flynnyrd

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Anyone know the history of the cemetery on the west side of the lake on Arkansas Lane almost to the dam? We used to hang out there in high school but the road has been gated for quite some time.

I know a lot of those awful hoodlums from Eastern Hills used to hang out there and do God only knows what sorts of criminal and morally bankrupt activities. Thugs, the lot of them. Especially that one kid with the old Prelude. Always had Queensryche or Iron Maiden or some other Satanist music blaring from his windows. Probably contributing to the delinquency of younger, wholesome kids.

#6 Lobster Eastside

Lobster Eastside

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

I know a lot of those awful hoodlums from Eastern Hills used to hang out there and do God only knows what sorts of criminal and morally bankrupt activities. Thugs, the lot of them. Especially that one kid with the old Prelude. Always had Queensryche or Iron Maiden or some other Satanist music blaring from his windows. Probably contributing to the delinquency of younger, wholesome kids.

Ha! Yes, Flynnyrd! Although, most, if not all, of those wholesome youngsters, many from Nolan, actively and enthusiastically participated in said morally bankrupt activities (until the undercover cop broke cover) and even suggested others...that were pretty cool, actually.....! LOL!

#7 Flynnyrd

Flynnyrd

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

Ha! Yes, Flynnyrd! Although, most, if not all, of those wholesome youngsters, many from Nolan, actively and enthusiastically participated in said morally bankrupt activities (until the undercover cop broke cover) and even suggested others...that were pretty cool, actually.....! LOL!

This is 100% accurate.
My mom was telling a story about you this weekend. Remember when we talked my granddad into driving a golf ball in my front yard, and right as he swung you walked in front of him and got smacked in the leg by a 100mph golf ball? My mom is still amazed that you had a perfect imprint of a golf ball, dimples and all, on your thigh for a few days.
And for some reason, everytime I see an "Iron Horse" or "Easyriders" magazine, I think of "Defender" and Copenhagen snuff.

#8 Lobster Eastside

Lobster Eastside

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

This is 100% accurate.
My mom was telling a story about you this weekend. Remember when we talked my granddad into driving a golf ball in my front yard, and right as he swung you walked in front of him and got smacked in the leg by a 100mph golf ball? My mom is still amazed that you had a perfect imprint of a golf ball, dimples and all, on your thigh for a few days.
And for some reason, everytime I see an "Iron Horse" or "Easyriders" magazine, I think of "Defender" and Copenhagen snuff.

Oh yes...your granddad could pound them...I don't think he ever really thought I was too bright.. Hanging out at both of your houses and your grandparents' is an integral part of my historical fabric, as well as all the knucklehead things that happened.....Yes..and everything else you've mentioned...the golf course (Meadowbrook and Woodhaven), Playway, Paisan's, KC's Icehouse, bugging the guys at Bolen's, Nub Rd. (HA!)....Hope your mom is doing well as well as is your bro, sis and niece and nephew....

#9 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

From the RootsWeb site:

aka Ebenezer Cemetery, aka Old Handley Hill Cemetery, aka Handley Hill Colored Cemetery

This fits with what I was told by my grandmother years ago and she said the small cemetery located next to the power plant was Handley Cemetery and the one up the hill was Handley Hill Cemetery. The gate just off 303 at Arkansas is usually open during the day. Texas law requires the public be given access to any cemetery, even on private land, by a reasonable route and reasonable times, although a land owner can set that reasonable route and times. Texas Health & Safety Code, section 711.041.

Not sure that statute covers partying hoodlums from EHHS, but I guess it depends on who is defining "reasonable". IMO, it would definitely depend on the brand of beer consumed. My fragile sensibilities won't allow my mind to drift to other possible activities.

#10 Lobster Eastside

Lobster Eastside

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:13 AM

From the RootsWeb site:

aka Ebenezer Cemetery, aka Old Handley Hill Cemetery, aka Handley Hill Colored Cemetery

This fits with what I was told by my grandmother years ago and she said the small cemetery located next to the power plant was Handley Cemetery and the one up the hill was Handley Hill Cemetery. The gate just off 303 at Arkansas is usually open during the day. Texas law requires the public be given access to any cemetery, even on private land, by a reasonable route and reasonable times, although a land owner can set that reasonable route and times. Texas Health & Safety Code, section 711.041.

Not sure that statute covers partying hoodlums from EHHS, but I guess it depends on who is defining "reasonable". IMO, it would definitely depend on the brand of beer consumed. My fragile sensibilities won't allow my mind to drift to other possible activities.

Ha! Thanks, Phil!

#11 Sailor

Sailor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

It is a very old black cemetary, you will notice that is directly accross from Rose Hill. Also, we did some checking at the site and found that extends on down the hill west toward what looks like another part of the same set of plots.

#12 Lobster Eastside

Lobster Eastside

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

It is a very old black cemetary, you will notice that is directly accross from Rose Hill. Also, we did some checking at the site and found that extends on down the hill west toward what looks like another part of the same set of plots.

Thank you, Sailor!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users