#51 jmilam

jmilam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE(mmiller2002 @ Mar 6 2007, 09:13 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Sam Stone @ Mar 5 2007, 02:39 PM) View Post

Is there no end to the stream of disappointments this project will bring to me?

Estate homes?! Carpeting?! Drop Ceiling?! Beige?! The only thing missing is crown molding, but I'm sure they'll take care of that before move-in.

Are we completely incapable of building and living in true urban spaces? Oh, what it must have been like to buy and live in an actual warehouse loft in SoHo back in the 80s.

Thank you Weber, KimCo, and FW City Council for taking one of the city's most unique urban properties and turning it into Plano. madgo.gif

Why do y'all care what they do inside unless you were hoping to buy?

I can understand your fussing about the exterior/parking lots not meeting your urban vision since that affects you as you drive by or use the development.

Obviously the developers are finishing these out so that they can get big bucks for them. They've probably done their market research. This is FW not NY. You can't force "coolness" so fast.

As for the old SoHo loft thing. They were originally cheap/large spaces in vacant buildings outfitted by the hip crowd of lesser income. Now days I bet they have also been "upgraded" for the trendies.

AGREED! If someone wants that look, they can rip all the nice finishes out after moving in... smile.gif

#52 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:53 PM

I can understand the frustration, the whole loft frame of mind is a lot of space for a decent price, people went the loft direction because they had no other option initially. Then it became popular, you saw them in every other movie and it became just another way to finish out a unit. Why it took Texas two decades to catch on is a mystery to me. The MW would have been a good choice for lofts if that was going to be it, but when they build a convenience neighborhood around it everything changes. It would have been nice to have had that level of amenities at the Tower, but I’m sure that if they had been available I wouldn’t have been able to afford to buy one, which is why I just looked at it as the price of a shell and planned on gutting and starting over. I’m now in the final stages of that process so maybe one day soon I’ll have a MW level interior right down town.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#53 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE(David Love @ Mar 7 2007, 02:53 PM) View Post

I can understand the frustration, the whole loft frame of mind is a lot of space for a decent price, people went the loft direction because they had no other option initially. Then it became popular, you saw them in every other movie and it became just another way to finish out a unit. Why it took Texas two decades to catch on is a mystery to me. The MW would have been a good choice for lofts if that was going to be it, but when they build a convenience neighborhood around it everything changes.

Today's (and specifically FW's) development environment is a lot more "evolved" than the original loft scene, I think. There weren't developers looking to looking to grab a big buck "urban" trend in the "old days" of lofts in NYC. It's all completely about turning huge profits, with elaborate planned urban oaises now. Very artificial. But, Texas has always appeared that way to me when it comes to becoming city-fied like the real, old US cities. Mayube in 20-50 years TX will have realized their own flavor of city life. For now it looks like they are trying hard to have insta-urban mini scenes. Some could be fun play places, though.

#54 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:46 PM

Big tents were put up in the parking lot today.

#55 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:08 PM

HUGE grand opening tonight. The finish out is much more edgy-urban than you guys have given the folks credit for...everything for the interiors is contemporary. I thought it odd that the band was old "big band" sound except that I know a lot of the Gen X&Y are really into the big band sound.

Very well attended-I was told 1200 expected. They also say they have a number of reservations. Pricing no surprise: 900 square feet starting at 200K.

#56 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:48 AM

I saw the price sheet along with the book of floor plans, and was surprised that the larger units were generally MORE per square foot than the smaller ones. Most of them are on the higher floors so I guess it makes some sense. From what I saw, the bigger places like 2000+ sq feet were all in the $300 per foot range. Ouch.

Their promotional materials are top notch though. They're doing a fantastic marketing job.

#57 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE(redhead @ Mar 8 2007, 11:08 PM) View Post

HUGE grand opening tonight.

I drove by it on my way to the evil big box store. It was impressive how many people were there. The parking lot was stuffed with cars.

#58 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:13 PM

I may have to stop by tonight.....FUN!!

#59 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:23 PM

I was impressed by the size of the crowd. It will be interesting to watch the progress of the sales.

Kitchens and bathrooms were impressive, but it's a shame there won't be more windows/unit - most of them are long and narrow, with just a couple of windows. Also, the windows are divided, and there's a divider right at eye level (for most people) so the view is partially blocked.

Like redhead, I was surprised by the swing band, until I looked around and noticed a ton of people with silver hair.

#60 sarahlmac

sarahlmac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth, triathlons, yoga, crossfit workouts, running, reading, photography

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:36 PM

The swing band was intended to honor the era in which the building was first built.

#61 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:40 PM

Welcome to the Forum! And thanks for insight---now it makes sense.

#62 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE(hooked @ Mar 9 2007, 03:23 PM) View Post

Kitchens and bathrooms were impressive, but it's a shame there won't be more windows/unit - most of them are long and narrow, with just a couple of windows. Also, the windows are divided, and there's a divider right at eye level (for most people) so the view is partially blocked.

What to you mean by the windows are "divided"?? What and why is this???

#63 sarahlmac

sarahlmac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth, triathlons, yoga, crossfit workouts, running, reading, photography

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:52 PM

Thanks! And, you're welcome. Did you get to go up to the 8th floor?

#64 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(hooked @ Mar 9 2007, 01:23 PM) View Post

...until I looked around and noticed a ton of people with silver hair.

They may generally have the money it takes to buy into the place.

#65 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:59 AM

Maybe they just got lost enroute to TTerrace.

Ouch.

Were they brought there by bus, and were they sportin them (Bawbawbhahaaaa Buh Bop) BLUEBlockers? cool.gif

#66 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:43 PM

I stopped in there today, was too late to tour anything, picked up the books of floor plans. Did I hear them right that they’ve not started on any of them?

But 50 or so are under contract…

Just spoke with the girl at the front desk for a minute.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#67 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE(David Love @ Mar 10 2007, 11:43 PM) View Post

I stopped in there today, was too late to tour anything, picked up the books of floor plans. Did I hear them right that they’ve not started on any of them?

But 50 or so are under contract…

Just spoke with the girl at the front desk for a minute.

I do not believe that work has started on any of the units yet.

I play '60s-inspired power pop in The Diabolical Machines

Yes, I was the Fort Worthology guy

#68 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Mar 9 2007, 02:42 PM) View Post
What to you mean by the windows are "divided"?? What and why is this???

The old-style windows have something like "panes," and have an upper and a lower part. Unfortunately, there's a strip of wood or metal right at eye level that kind impairs the view. Don't get me wrong, though. Overall, I like the interior designs, and you certainly can't beat the W. 7th Street location.

#69 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:49 AM

Prices have already been raised $25 per foot from last week's quotes. My parents went in for a meeting yesterday, and the one they were looking at, which was $250 per foot on the high end last week, is now $275 per foot "due to the extremely high interest". Potential buyers are having to put down $10k to hold a unit, and it's only refundable for 3 days. Also, dues are $.30 per month.

My prediction is that, when the dust settles in a few weeks, they won't have sold nearly as many of these things as they're now predicting. $275-325 per foot is just so high for this market when you're talking about 250+ units...MP makes the townhomes at So7 look like a raging bargain at $180 per foot.

#70 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:04 PM

Perusing the floor plans on the Montgomery Plaza site today, I noticed that there are a good many of them marked "Sold" now. More than I expected.

#71 brian777

brian777

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Mar 20 2007, 10:04 PM) View Post

Perusing the floor plans on the Montgomery Plaza site today, I noticed that there are a good many of them marked "Sold" now. More than I expected.

approx 43% sold.......anyone know when they will be finished?

#72 jmilam

jmilam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:57 AM

Anyone who purchased, or in the "know" have any info on this project. I have not seen any construction activity...

#73 rsowell

rsowell

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:28 PM

Sorry, but I don't see paying that much money for a condo that is in the same center as that horrible suburban shopping mall with a Dollar Tree.

#74 jmilam

jmilam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:56 PM

From a count of sold units on the website, it appears that they are right around 60% sold...Any time frames on construction? completion?

#75 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(jmilam @ Jun 21 2007, 01:56 PM) View Post

From a count of sold units on the website, it appears that they are right around 60% sold...Any time frames on construction? completion?

60% sold and no construction yet???!!!

#76 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:37 PM

^^^ Who would buy something yet to be built??? If so, I got some swamp land they may be interested in wink.gif

#77 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(DrkLts @ Jun 21 2007, 07:37 PM) View Post

^^^ Who would buy something yet to be built??? If so, I got some swamp land they may be interested in wink.gif

It's very normal in condo projects that the developer won't get started until a certain amount are pre-sold. The bogey in this case was 50%, so I would think things will get moving soon.

#78 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(DrkLts @ Jun 21 2007, 07:37 PM) View Post

^^^ Who would buy something yet to be built???

About 285 people in the Tower.

#79 sarahlmac

sarahlmac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:42 PM

I believe I heard they are beginning construction in July.

#80 brian777

brian777

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:56 PM

construction to start august...from top down i heard:
timeline i think is approx 18 months???

#81 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 01:53 PM

Gee.... this thread looks strangely familiar. tongue.gif

#82 sarahlmac

sarahlmac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:46 PM

FYI, there is going to be a "construction commencement" party on Oct. 10. Construction on the units starts this week...

#83 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:38 PM

I received my invitation to next Wednesday's ground breaking/fireworks by email today.
I guess I will go, but Montgomery Plaza is not at all in my price range.

#84 ramjet

ramjet

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:56 AM

The Fort Worth Business Press has some more info on the condos and the big kick-off on October 10:

http://www.fwbusines...lay.php?id=6561

By the way, has anyone been inside the space that will become condos? I'd imagine some killer views, especially on the east side of the building.

I am really looking forward to what West 7th Street is going to become over the next couple of years...

#85 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:14 PM

I have a verbal invitation from a local friend/broker.

So I'll roll. Look for the guy in the baby blue tux with ruffles BABY!

I'll be sportin them truckers shades to boot. Snakeskin boot that is.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#86 sarahlmac

sarahlmac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:32 AM

Is anyone going to this tonight?

Celebration of One Montgomery Plaza to light up the sky

BY BETTY DILLARD
October 08, 2007

Fireworks will take center stage during a gala on Oct. 10 marking the start of construction on The Residences at One Montgomery Plaza, the final addition to the Montgomery Plaza mixed-use development located on Seventh Street just west of downtown Fort Worth and near the Cultural District.

The eight-story Mission Revival-style building was built in 1928 by department store chain Montgomery Ward to house its regional retail and mail-order operations. The new project, being developed by the Marquis Group, will include 240 luxury condominiums with 42 one- to three-bedroom floor plans ranging from 1,000 to 4,600 square feet. Sales prices range from the mid-$200,000s to $1.6 million.

According to developer Wally Maya, the residences are 65 percent sold and will offer the city a new lifestyle concept.

“Fort Worth is ready for this new kind of lifestyle, with shops and restaurants an elevator ride away and parks and museums a short walk or drive away,” Maya said.

The Marquis Group is working with architects Swaback & Partners of Scottsdale, Ariz., Studio V Interior Design and residential marketing and sales firm Al Coker & Associates.

Maya said the completion for the project is expected in the first quarter of 2009.

#87 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:05 AM

any able to get a tour of the recently completed models? i'm interested to see the finishes. kevin?

#88 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:34 AM

I haven't been in Montgomery Plaza since the gala kick-off. I did get a VIP invite thing recently.

#89 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:57 PM

Two pictures from my Sunday walk to Target™

The parking garage under the main building is looking kind of through. Interesting. Makes me wonder what that basement was like 4 years ago. And I am always curious as to why exhaust or CO doesn't seep up into the businesses and residents. Guess it doesn't of course.

And a picture of the main retail plaza in the interior section. It sure does seem to be picking up steam. It looks like those business are really doing a very good business. Looks like Fort Worth made a wise decision on that abatement based on the sales taxes I see being paid.

I wonder what stage the condo construction is in.

www.fortworthview.com

#90 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,766 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:45 PM

An even better decision would have been for the cars to drive through arches on the first floor leaving the main facade more intact, then the Federal Government might have kicked in to pay for about half of the project's cost, rather than just the $20 million that the city abatements were worth.

#91 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Dec 3 2008, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The parking garage under the main building is looking kind of through. Interesting. Makes me wonder what that basement was like 4 years ago. And I am always curious as to why exhaust or CO doesn't seep up into the businesses and residents. Guess it doesn't of course.

In the last century, I worked at CityPlace in <whisper>Dallas</whisper>; it has four 8-level parking garages 'neath it. The garages had environmental systems that took care of the car exhaust. There were big fans involved... possibly some air filtration... and vents outside. Hopefully Montgovernmentry Plaza has something similar.

The system at CityPlace seemed to work well, although I did like to blame CO poisoning on my occasional inability to remember where I parked. Heaven help you when you couldn't even remember which garage.

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Dec 3 2008, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And a picture of the main retail plaza in the interior section. It sure does seem to be picking up steam. It looks like those business are really doing a very good business. Looks like Fort Worth made a wise decision on that abatement based on the sales taxes I see being paid.

Don't forget to subtract tax revenues that would have been generated elsewhere in the city had the development not been developed. I'd think some of the purchases made at the MP Target, for instance, would have been made somewhere else within 5 or 10 miles if the MP Target weren't there and those would have generated about the same tax revenue for the city.

#92 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:59 AM

Better there than 5 or 10 miles away. I know I'd not make the effort to go 5 or 10 miles just to shop. Just wish the design wasn't so awful. Eventually, somebody will do something nice back there, though.

#93 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:30 PM

In today's INDULGE magazine (I get it free within my Star-Telegram Downtown) there is a large feature article on the Montgomery Plaza condos. I found it very interesting and learned many things.

Built in 1928, this was the tallest concrete structure West of the Mississippi River. Was kind of away from the city. (Cut off from the city by both the river and the railroad.)

Many of you may have know this, but the driveway cut into the middle of this building (they now call it a concourse) to give the interior units of this huge building, windows. Guess I should have guessed that much. Even as it is, there is a low window to square foot ratio. (Not part of this article, just a personal observation.)

Of the 243 units, 2/3rds were bought sight unseen. The first units to sell were on the pool deck of the west wing's third floor. Next went units in the East wing with a view of downtown. The smallest units (one bedroom) were the first to sell

The units are mostly long and narrow. I believe that in most cases only the most outward room is with windows. They do a few tricks like make the other rooms with clear glass up high as to catch some outdoor rays from the first room. Kind of strange to see a bathroom with the top few feet transparent windows to the rest of the unit.

I was surprised to read that ceilings were 12 to 16'. Wow. This is tall... I am thinking if I had 16' ceilings, I would make a two story unit out of it.
I live on the 34th floor of the Tower which has 12' ceilings (Two feet taller than the first 33 floors as it used to be the Century II club) and the rich guy next to me turned his little girl's room into a loft second story sleeping area. Was pretty neat for a kid. For 16' would do that for myself.

Not sure how I would feel about the long narrow condo's. Or the windows that are really just lots of little windows. I like big expanses of glass like I have at the Tower. And at the Tower, most rooms have windows. All bedrooms and living rooms for sure. But if it means lots more room, long and narrow may be worth it.

I am still not convinced that something could not be built between the Motgomery plaza and downtown to ruin the view. I don't like playing the waiting game. I have done that before. I need a guaranteed view wherever I live now. I have one now. For me, anything tall enough to hinder my view would be worth looking at. And nothing could block all my view. Even a 200 story building next to me. (I could still see around it somewhat.)

I currently shop at Target mostly. (Pick up odds and ends at Walgreen's) so that would be very handy. But, sometimes walking to Target for me is the only exercise I get. (1.1 miles) But I guess if I lived there, I would be walking to downtown frequently.

I do love the Montgomery Plaza in general. It has a great classic look to it and seems like it is the direction America needs to take to get people out of their dumb cars. I could sure see myself living there... if it is fairly quiet in the concourse at night, particularly. A couple of stupid motorcycles scooting through the center of the building at midnight would make the place worth 50% less to me.

I don't remember seeing a price list of the units really. Curious what the premium is for high as well as East facing. I think the place will be a good investment on the small chance we don't go into a deep economic depression. And if we do going into a deep recession? I'll buy a big unit at the bottom! (Now someone just tell me when it is the bottom.) newlaugh.gif

And surpise! I am not attaching a picture... (My camera is my only tool in my little tool kit.) But many great pictures were included in the magazine. If you are really interested in this place, get the magazine.
www.fortworthview.com

#94 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

Monee,

You mentioned the Century II Club now brings back alot of good memories with friends and a good meal. Always a great view of the city!
Mike

#95 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (cajunmike @ Feb 5 2009, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Monee,

You mentioned the Century II Club now brings back alot of good memories with friends and a good meal. Always a great view of the city!

I would give my wife's left arm for a picture of the Century II Club. Can not find one anywhere. I would make a copy and frame it for my living room.
I have taken 22,000 pics since April (Not a joke, actual counter reading on new camera) but can't take a single shot of the past.
www.fortworthview.com

#96 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,766 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

Monee, one of your statements is incorrect. The driveway was not cut through to give the units windows. Those window openings were always there. The building was originally constructed as a donut. It was later expanded with two wings going off to the north. The south connecting corridor in the middle featured the building's lobby. The north connecting corridor was only present from the second or third floor up. The reason that it did not go to the ground was that a rail spur entered between the wings of the building below the corridor. Trains pulled into the current drive, or concourse, and unloaded merchandise. Each wing had windows above the rail spur to give the warehouse on the upper floors light and ventilation, much like the condo units are being done. Eventually the rail spur was covered, and then later converted to retail sales and storage as the retail store grew and the Distribution Center was constructed to the rear. You can look at old aerials at http://www.historicaerials.com and see the building's shape.

#97 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Feb 5 2009, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Monee, one of your statements is incorrect. The driveway was not cut through to give the units windows. Those window openings were always there. The building was originally constructed as a donut. It was later expanded with two wings going off to the north. The south connecting corridor in the middle featured the building's lobby. The north connecting corridor was only present from the second or third floor up. The reason that it did not go to the ground was that a rail spur entered between the wings of the building below the corridor. Trains pulled into the current drive, or concourse, and unloaded merchandise. Each wing had windows above the rail spur to give the warehouse on the upper floors light and ventilation, much like the condo units are being done. Eventually the rail spur was covered, and then later converted to retail sales and storage as the retail store grew and the Distribution Center was constructed to the rear. You can look at old aerials at http://www.historicaerials.com and see the building's shape.

I was surprised that I had never heard that before but that was what was stated in this article. "The driveway was necessary, as it was impossible to cut the big block into manageable living units without more exterior walls for windows."

That HISTORIC AERIALS site was sure the proof all right. I just pulled up the 1990 shot of the building. And of course you are right. That interior space was there long before there was a thought of condos. As I never saw that area before the hole was made in the front, it seemed quite reasonable to me.

It seems kind of interesting to think of a condo facing the interior area. May be kind of nice. Would love to go in one to look... (We need a Forum Tour to officially kick this project off.) BTW... I forgot to mention that the article states that next month, condo owners begin moving in. And they are not yet sold out.
www.fortworthview.com

#98 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Feb 5 2009, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In today's INDULGE magazine (I get it free within my Star-Telegram Downtown) there is a large feature article on the Montgomery Plaza condos. I found it very interesting and learned many things.

Built in 1928, this was the tallest concrete structure West of the Mississippi River. Was kind of away from the city. (Cut off from the city by both the river and the railroad.)

I don't remember seeing a price list of the units really. Curious what the premium is for high as well as East facing. I think the place will be a good investment on the small chance we don't go into a deep economic depression. And if we do going into a deep recession? I'll buy a big unit at the bottom! (Now someone just tell me when it is the bottom.) newlaugh.gif

I agree, this was very interesting and had some good photos also. A nice break from the recent stories about Tower living. cool.gif

I am dubious about the claim to tallest concrete structure, but they may have used some subset of a concrete building to make the claim.

There were some prices listed. The smallest unit was $260,000 for 1 Bd, 1 Ba 807 sq feet. The biggest, $1.8 million for 2 Bd, 3 Ba at 4918 sq feet.

The models on the seventh floor were shown at $695,000 for 2 Bd, 21/2 Ba 2259 sq feet and $450-485,000 for 2 Bd, 21/2 Ba 1546 sq feet.

Homeowners dues were listed at 27 cents per sq foot a month.

Indulge also had a good write up on Eddie V's by June Naylor, now I am going to have to try them out.

#99 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:45 AM

144 unsold Montgomery Plaza condos posted for foreclosure. Story in today's Star Telegram

No huge mystery here as this has been brewing. I will surely be at the auction.
http://www.star-tele...ort-worths.html
www.fortworthview.com

#100 eastfwther

eastfwther

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

This was where I was looking at a condo several years when my real estate agent constantly told me that buying a condo in Fort Worth was a really bad idea. Looks like he was right. I personally was sold on the location, as long as the condo wasn't facing that terrible sprawling asphalt parking lot in the back. But once again, the pricing was all wrong for Fort Worth. So the pricing and warnings from my realtor made me back off. I'm not interested now, but I'm definitely going to forward this article to people I know who might be interested. How long before an auction is done for Villa de Leon?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users