• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#251 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:54 PM

Agreed that the traffic wasn't as bad as it might have been. Could it be that some of the concertgoers arrived late electing to miss the opening acts, thus spreading out the pulse of arriving cars? Traffic cops were all over the place, directing traffic and pedestrians, looked as if they had a pretty good game plan. $40 for parking: I thought it was a joke, but a few lots (churches?) along Randol Mill west of Collins were asking $50! I was not in Arlington for the concert, just had to be close by mid-afternoon and got to observe. Can anyone comment as to how the rush to leave the stadium at the end of the show go?

When football season opens there will be no opening act to skip, maybe tailgate parties will encourage fans to arrive early and thus avoid a huge tangled traffic mess. Short of doubling up work crews to finish bridges, constructing viaducts over train tracks in the area, and bringing in commuter trains for the attendees, my only idea for making the trip easier and less paralyzing for the surrounding area would be to set aside dedicated road lanes for buses on game day to make park-and-ride options from various parts of the metromess more attractive.

Unrelated: I was a little surprised that the reports from concert goers criticized the acoustics and/or the PA system at the show. One would think that acoustic planning was incorporated into the overall plan for the stadium; maybe a "shakedown" was needed to help the people in charge of the sound adjust everything... Hope everyone can understand the Jonas Bros' lyrics.

#252 jrarriola

jrarriola

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (jrarriola @ Jun 7 2009, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Prairie Pup @ Jun 7 2009, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed that the traffic wasn't as bad as it might have been. Could it be that some of the concertgoers arrived late electing to miss the opening acts, thus spreading out the pulse of arriving cars? Traffic cops were all over the place, directing traffic and pedestrians, looked as if they had a pretty good game plan. $40 for parking: I thought it was a joke, but a few lots (churches?) along Randol Mill west of Collins were asking $50! I was not in Arlington for the concert, just had to be close by mid-afternoon and got to observe. Can anyone comment as to how the rush to leave the stadium at the end of the show go?

When football season opens there will be no opening act to skip, maybe tailgate parties will encourage fans to arrive early and thus avoid a huge tangled traffic mess. Short of doubling up work crews to finish bridges, constructing viaducts over train tracks in the area, and bringing in commuter trains for the attendees, my only idea for making the trip easier and less paralyzing for the surrounding area would be to set aside dedicated road lanes for buses on game day to make park-and-ride options from various parts of the metromess more attractive.

Unrelated: I was a little surprised that the reports from concert goers criticized the acoustics and/or the PA system at the show. One would think that acoustic planning was incorporated into the overall plan for the stadium; maybe a "shakedown" was needed to help the people in charge of the sound adjust everything... Hope everyone can understand the Jonas Bros' lyrics.

We arrived around 4 p.m. and did not have any trouble with traffic. Also we left immediately when the concert was over and it was very smooth getting out of the parking lot and over to I-30. I was very impressed with the police and the way they were getting things taken care of. Now the sound situation was something else! I know the lyrics to most all of the songs that were performed and I could not even recognize some of them the sound was so bad! There was such an echo that you could not understand anything and the music would come and go. I'm sure the entertainers' people were mortified by that!

#253 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

Everyone, I finally had my opportunity to tour the stadium today, courtesy of AIA Fort Worth. It was a great tour and I really had fun. The facility is fantastic, but I'm betting that this will be my first and only visit to the stadium.

#254 Colt

Colt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jun 29 2009, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone, I finally had my opportunity to tour the stadium today, courtesy of AIA Fort Worth. It was a great tour and I really had fun. The facility is fantastic, but I'm betting that this will be my first and only visit to the stadium.

I had the same opportunity on Thursday, but courtesy of UT Arlington.

Yes, it is fantastic. Definitely has the "wow" factor.

I won't be a frequent guest, but I do have a ticket for one of the college football games this fall.

#255 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:51 PM

I was pleased by the turnout of the architects for this. There were approximately 200 attending this tour. According to Dallas Cowboys Officials, this was the largest tour group attending to date.

#256 Colt

Colt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jun 29 2009, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was pleased by the turnout of the architects for this. There were approximately 200 attending this tour. According to Dallas Cowboys Officials, this was the largest tour group attending to date.

That is a lot of architects in one place! However, it is understandable that there would be a lot of professional interest in this project.

There were about 500 people at the UT Arlington event. It was a reception/dinner for the 1895 Society (donors to the University at a certain level), and also featured a visit and remarks by the UT System chancellor. I can't say how many went on the two tours, but I bet it was a majority. The stadium was a great venue for this type of event, as it is first class and there is a lot of interest.

#257 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:55 AM

http://www.fortworth...ay.php?id=10536

Does this make make the stadium the "silver arches?"

#258 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:37 AM

I was browsing cable and came a cross a program about the "Top 10 Mega-Structures" that included The USS Stennis (aircraft carrier), Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose, The Golden Gate Bridge, and the Hoover Dam (#1). Another mega-structure covered was the Superdome in New Orleans. If that show was made today, I suppose the Cowboy's Stadium would be in that slot.

I was a little disappointed that the Old River Control Structure and the Lower Mississippi Levee System didn't make the cut, but they only had time for 10, so even Water Tunnel Three in NYC was left out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users