72 replies to this topic

#1 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:39 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the Fort Worth Club announced at their annual meeting on Tuesday night that they had purchased the classifieds building. It was not referred to by name, but they announced they had purchased a "five story tear-down at fifth and Taylor." That's the only thing that fits the bill that I can see.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

#2 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

The Classifieds Building is far from being the ugliest structure in Downtown (I wouldn't rank it nearly as ugly as the AT&T Building, Burnett Plaza, the Bass Towers, half the county buildings, City Hall, the old Hilton annex, or plenty of other much worse buildings). It is architecturally significant as the only surviving Googie building in Downtown, and as such I think it should be preserved. If it were properly restored, undoing the neglect and alterations made by the Star-Telegram (none of which look too severe to correct), it would be a much more attractive building.

This would be a terrible loss for Downtown's architectural heritage and should be opposed. Especially because the likely result of the demolition is another surface parking lot, which we already have too many of.

--

Kara B.

#3 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:40 AM

Opinions are.........

#4 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:57 AM

I understand the FWC did purchase the building and the small surface lots behind the building. The surface lots are already in use as overflow parking and monthly parkers.

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:24 PM

It's really a shame that they are thinking about demolishing it. They could easily build a parking garage on the 1/2 block to the west and then restore this building. They could lease it out as office space and possible ground floor retail. It's a one of a kind building, and it will be a shame to lose it.

#6 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:18 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
ohmy.gif

Wish there was a way to designate "unique and of the xxxx period" instead of just age as a benchmark for great buildings; as a category to deny or at least study demolition.

#7 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:12 AM

Some examples of re-developed mid-century structures:

Jupiter Hotel - Portland, OR
http://www.jupiterhotel.com/

Hotel Fifty - Portland, OR
http://www.hotelfifty.com/

Hotel Modera - Portland, OR
http://www.hotelmodera.com/

Mosaic Lofts - Dallas
http://www.mosaicdallas.com/

Belmont Hotel - Dallas
http://www.belmontdallas.com/

The S-T Classifieds Building has a real spirit of that mid-century cool to it, buried under the Startlegram's neglect and alterations. It could be re-used as a very cool building.

--

Kara B.

#8 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

It looks as if it might have a cool Art Deco core to it, somewhere in there.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#9 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:10 AM

Beauty is in the eye, as they say. Describing something as ugly should in no way imply that it should be disposed of. Pugs are ugly, the Subaru is an ugly car, duck billed platypus, Dirk Novitzki, and countless other ugly things should and will continue to be around with no real thought of being ousted.

I agree that the Classifieds building should stay, and I definitely think it's an ugly building. However, I'm pretty sure the only thing preventing it's demolition at this point is the fact that Fire-Eater hasn't made an impassioned plea for it's survival, yet. rotflmao.gif

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:14 AM

The end of the building is getting near. There is a case going before the Downtown Design Review Board for its replacement. Are you ready? It's going to be a surface parking lot!

Since there is no historic overlay on the building, the only approval needed is for the replacement element. I'm sure that once the surface parking is approved on August 6th, then the building will be demolished shortly after.

#11 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:32 AM

Powerfully lame. Shame on you, Fort Worth Club.

--

Kara B.

#12 Bart

Bart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:51 AM

Well, there are a couple of things to think about here (coming from a person that does not appreciate others' affinity for the building):

1) current office/residential markets would not support a fix-up and re-lease, so they are removing a building seriously in need of a face-lift that the Star-Telegram neglected with what will probably become a run-down looking parking lot. Could always hope that a long established local, social club could help out the community by at least dressing up the parking lot a bit similar to the XTO parking.

2) removal of the building, will possibly enable better development of the entire block in the coming years once the star-telegram vacates and sells the adjacent building to make-up for lost revenue. Then the entire block can be redevloped by the Fort Worth Club or other group and 6th street can be opened up by removing the rather gastly sky-walk/office space.

#13 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Bart @ Jul 15 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, there are a couple of things to think about here (coming from a person that does not appreciate others' affinity for the building):

1) current office/residential markets would not support a fix-up and re-lease, so they are removing a building seriously in need of a face-lift that the Star-Telegram neglected with what will probably become a run-down looking parking lot. Could always hope that a long established local, social club could help out the community by at least dressing up the parking lot a bit similar to the XTO parking.

2) removal of the building, will possibly enable better development of the entire block in the coming years once the star-telegram vacates and sells the adjacent building to make-up for lost revenue. Then the entire block can be redevloped by the Fort Worth Club or other group and 6th street can be opened up by removing the rather gastly sky-walk/office space.

Exactly.

#14 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:12 AM

Again, I admit I was neutral on this building until it seemed real that it may be torn down. Now I love it. Just as it sits. Would be very sad to me if it is demolished. It really is a one of a kind. As well as unique in its period. (not much in Fort Worth from that era.) Not gonna chain myself to the building. I don't think. dry.gif

I am not saying the owner of the property does not have the right to do as he pleases, within the zoning/law etc...

But sure seems like the building could be useful. City Hall Annex?

I wonder if the building is structurally sound? And if it needs a few million in sprinkler systems and elevators etc...?
I would sure be more understanding of the Fort Worth club's side if I know the building could just not be used for anything cost effective without too much being spent on it to later turn a profit.

I mostly wonder what was paid for the property...
www.fortworthview.com

#15 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

I too am curious, what's a downtown surface parking lot going for now?

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#16 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:56 PM

Actually, what would be really cool is, if the building has to go, if the block could be used as parking for the Electric Building. That way the old Hollywood Theater could be put back together. The reason the theater was converted into parking was because no other place was available for it. But the balcony and the ornate roof work was retained. Sure would be cool to have it back.

Of course, I am sure such a thought is little more than a wild fantasy on my part. That would be an awful lot of money in order to bring back a single screen movie theater that I do not believe ever had a stage large enough for live productions and such.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#17 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

They're more likely to move that blow up screen from the other parking lot for appeasement.

#18 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:09 AM

Very sorry to hear this.

I'm sure parking is a pain in the can for their members and guests, but come on. If they want a building surrounded by parking, maybe downtown isn't the right place for them. Fewer buildings separated by acres of parking: welcome to the Las Colinas model.

#19 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:19 AM

angry.gif "Since there is no historic overlay on the building, the only approval needed is for the replacement element. I'm sure that once the surface parking is approved on August 6th, then the building will be demolished shortly after. "
O Great. Happy Birthday to me. As if the anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima isn't enough fun on my birthday.

#20 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE (gdvanc @ Jul 19 2009, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure parking is a pain in the can for their members and guests, but come on. If they want a building surrounded by parking, maybe downtown isn't the right place for them.

I'm in favor of increasing parking, because it really is a pain in the can at the club. If there's a wedding reception or other event, it sucks up all the parking in the club's tiny parking garage. But, the way it was described at the member meeting was that it was an investment. The 16 - 20 spaces they'll get on that corner of the block won't alleviate that much pressure. There were a couple of other downtown land purchases as well (I think), but nothing as notable. Easier to liquidate later as a flat piece of land.

#21 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:33 AM

Sad. More affirmation of this building being destroyed.

http://www.star-tele...ry/1501635.html
www.fortworthview.com

#22 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:11 PM

Shame on the Fort Worth Club

#23 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:40 PM

Shot of this building tonight. I can understand people not liking it. (My wife) But I am sad. A guy working the parking lot next to it said is had 2 weeks to live. I confess to thinking this building was built in like 1942, not 1960. As soon as I see the wrecking ball heading for it I going to chain my wife to the front door. You know, so they won't knock it down. devil.gif

www.fortworthview.com

#24 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:07 PM

There was about a dozen guys on the roof last week chopping with wood axes, not sure if they were cutting cables or what. I've decommed a couple telco sites and that was how we started, cut power, then cut every thing else, electrical, data, HVAC, plumbing and pulled out anything and everything of value.

#25 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

Although I haven't heard the report from the August 6th DDRB Meeting, I'm sure they approved the demolition of the building and the construction of the parking lot. Some of my sources told me that demolition was going to begin immediately after approval, so I'm not suprised to hear that you saw actual demo work being done last week.

#26 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

If only the FW Club could be convinced to demolish that godawful annex / parking garage instead...

#27 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:50 PM

It's too bad they couldn't rebuild the Worth Hotel and Theater in the place of the Fort Worth Club Tower (Annex).

#28 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Aug 9 2009, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's too bad they couldn't rebuild the Worth Hotel and Theater in the place of the Fort Worth Club Tower (Annex).

That would be VERY nice. And while they are at it, it would also be nice if someone would rebuild the old Westbrook Hotel - on the spot where it was which is still a parking lot. If they got started today and hurried quickly, the might be able to have it finished in time for the Westbrook's 100th birthday in 2011.

That's what certain European cities did after World War II - they rebuilt the buildings that had been destroyed by the war. Downtown Fort Worth didn't go through a war - but the 1960s and 1970s were quite destructive in their own way and left a lot of blight in their wake. That FW Club annex building is one of several examples of such blight.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#29 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE (Dismuke @ Aug 9 2009, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That FW Club annex building is one of several examples of such blight.

Let's be fair. That annex is a useful addition that isn't surface parking and, while not particularly attractive, still probably falls well short of "blight".

At a time when social clubs like the FWC are failing all over the country, this one is thriving and investing in its facilities and in the area. It's a bet on the future of downtown. View it as a positive.

#30 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:29 AM

The FWC is investing in the area by demolishing the area. Enough of that occurs, and it devalues the area they're investing in.

--

Kara B.

#31 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (cberen1 @ Aug 10 2009, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's be fair. That annex is a useful addition that isn't surface parking and, while not particularly attractive, still probably falls well short of "blight".

I guess it depends on how one defines "blight." If you include a lack of maintenance and attracting crime as a necessary part of the term as a lot of people seem to, then you are correct. The annex appears to be kept up and it certainly is not housing an establishment that is attracting a seedy clientele to the area.

I am using the term more broadly and strictly in the aesthetic sense of the building being an eyesore which significantly detracts from the surrounding area and which makes that part of downtown a less pleasant place to be. The building isn't simply "not particularly attractive" - it is very cold, harsh and downright ugly. If it were taller and more prominent on the skyline, I would say it would be a rival with the SBC/AT&T building as the skyline's ugliest.

Its ugliness is compounded by the fact that it is surrounded by pre-World War II buildings - so the contrast between the quality and craftsmanship of the surrounding buildings and how bland, cheap and shabby the 1970s building is by comparison is particularly stark. Think of a table in a nice house with a fine tablecloth being set with nice china - but the hostess finds herself one plate short so she substitutes in its place a cheap paper plate with a big yellow smiley face on it - the sort of paper plate used for children's birthday parties and such.

Even worse is the fact that it is an expansion of the club's main 1920s building. It is about as appropriate a match as expanding a beautiful mansion by putting on a metal, industrial style building as the addition. Or think of an attractive young woman wearing an expensive, elegant and glamourous evening gown with fine jewelry - and a pair of the cheapest, most frumpy looking women's sneakers that can be found in Wal-mart's clearance bin.

In other words, the annex blights the club's own main building. One reflects an age of elegance, of glamour, of grandeur and high aesthetic aspirations. The other reflects an age of cheap polyester leisure suits and an age when aesthetic standards were at a historic low point. There is absolutely nothing that anyone can point to on that annex and claim to have any sort of aesthetic value - and the mere fact that it is not falling apart does not count as being an aesthetic virtue of the building's design.

In short, it looks like something that was thrown up as cheaply as possible with zero consideration given to how it looks - sort of the high rise equivalent to the sort of buildings you find in industrial parks.

At a time when social clubs like the FWC are failing all over the country, this one is thriving and investing in its facilities and in the area. It's a bet on the future of downtown. View it as a positive.

And I think that is a very good point. I think the fact that Fort Worth still has such a club that is going strong is very neat. As you point out, in most cities they are disbanding for lack of interest. I have been inside the club - the main building - and it is very nice and filled with lots of history. It would be very sad if it were to close down. And it is certainly not the fault of the club's present membership that whoever was in charge of building the annex over 30 years ago got caught up with and bought into the shabby fads of the time - which, thankfully, have largely passed except for occasional retrogressions such as the TCC complex. I do realize that present membership has pretty much inherited the annex and is more or less stuck with it due to the cost of transforming it into something that is more attractive and a better fit with its main building. But that doesn't mean one shouldn't be candid and honest about what the annex is - it is ugly and takes away from both the main club building and the surrounding buildings. In my book, that is blight.

EDIT - p.s. - I also do not wish to make a really big deal over my definition of "blight." If, after my above explanation, anybody still thinks my use of the term isn't accurate, I am more than willing to substitute the word "blemish" which would make the exact same point that I intend when I use the word "blight."
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#32 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (Dismuke @ Aug 10 2009, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am more than willing to substitute the word "blemish" which would make the exact same point that I intend when I use the word "blight."

I'm chuckling at my desk. smilewink.gif "Blemish" is probably an appropriate phrase.

Yes, it's no award winner.

The FWC is investing in the area by demolishing the area. Enough of that occurs, and it devalues the area they're investing in.

No building is designed to last forever. Some aren't going to last more than 40 - 50 years. This happens to be one that isn't going to make it, in part, because it's ugly. It's also going to die because it has a tiny foot print incompatible with a CBD and modern space needs. In the end, however, it's going to die because there are thousands of people with enough money to save it, but none of them want to.

#33 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (cberen1 @ Aug 10 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This happens to be one that isn't going to make it, in part, because it's ugly.

That's your opinion. It's been neglected and altered by its last owner, our proud sinking ship/joke of a local paper.

It's also going to die because it has a tiny foot print incompatible with a CBD and modern space needs.

The "too small" argument - it's a cop-out. There are plenty of buildings as small or smaller in Downtown Fort Worth and in other urban areas - if the Classifieds building is "too small," then we might as well knock over the Bryce Building, half-to-3/4s of Sundance Square, most of the buildings along the southern section of Houston Street...

Maybe it's just incompatible with the old-money zero-imagination types who populate the Fort Worth Club.

They'll knock it down and talk about "future development" but it'll remain a barren piece of asphalt crammed with Lexus RXs and "prettied up" with some shrubs for the next twenty years. That, after all, is the Fort Worth Way.

--

Kara B.

#34 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

First of all, I wanted to say that I made a mistake on what the Downtown Design Review Board hears. I received the results of this month's Downtown Design Review Board hearing. The Fort Worth Club asked for a continuance of the case. However, that does not give the Classified Ads Building a reprieve. The DDRB does not hear demolition cases, only new construction or modifications to existing structures. The Downtown Fort Worth Urban Design Guidelines are available online if you want to know the details. If a building is to be demolished as a part of a project heard by the DDRB, the building goes to the Preservation Staff to determine if it is designated as a historic building. If the building is not designated, then a demolition permit may be applied for and received. The Classified Ads Building is not designated, so demolition may proceed. However, as far as I know, a demolition permit has not been granted. I was under the opinion that the demolition and the replacement project had to be approved by the DDRB, but that is not the case. Without historic designation, the Fort Worth Club may demolish this building until there is nothing left, as long as they have a demolition permit. The DDRB will have to approve whatever replaces the building.

#35 Bart

Bart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

As I mentioned before, I am definitely not a fan of the classifieds bldg, but since it was offered for comparison, and to provide equal commentary to my previous posts; the fort worth club tower is a very, and i stress very, unimaginitive structure that is extremely outdated and a very poor example of a functional space. . . . i began to type all of the examples that i could think of but it became apparent that i was inviting a laundry-list of negative feedback from 'clubbers'.

having worked in the tower for several years and seen the majority of the levels, it should by all rights be an embarrasment to the club members. they let it start on a gradual downhill trajectory and didn't realize it until it picked up some speed and started to approach the cliff. they have a long way to go to get it into any shape for comparison to much of anything in d-town.

I hate to say it, but the gastly Mallick tower looks much better with their lobby make-over and the office levels are equivalent to the tower - IMHO.

#36 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:46 AM

So, Fort Worth will soon be the land that Googie/Populuxe/the New Frontier/whatever. . . forgot. We tore down the fabulous cantilever-latticy post-deco Lerner Shop, what, 20 tears ago? The "ugly" Hedrick Fender courthouse is gone, with its horrible louvres, which I happened to like before they got sprayed with styrofoam. You can barely see the 60's "Mothership" Convention Center through the period revival trees. Once this little treasure is gone (note the sweet marble veneer), will there be anything downtown to proclaim that modern buildings were built here from the late 40's through the 60's? angry.gif
Don't get me started. I almost did a graf on the charms of Santa Fe, NM; compared to the charms of Las Vegas, NM. smilewink.gif

#37 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:30 AM

Construction fences went up this morning

#38 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (Thurman52 @ Aug 19 2009, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Construction fences went up this morning

Sure enough. I am thinking I hear the fat lady singing on this structure.
This Friday morning from my parking garage at The Tower.

www.fortworthview.com

#39 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:01 PM

Quick question. On the vertical elements, there are little metal boxes every four or five feet. What are they? lights? I don't think I've ever seen the building lit up.

#40 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (cberen1 @ Aug 21 2009, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quick question. On the vertical elements, there are little metal boxes every four or five feet. What are they? lights? I don't think I've ever seen the building lit up.

Probably mounts for the translucent paneling that adorned the exterior years ago before the current neglect set in. They were either blue translucent panels lit by floodlights, or plain translucent panels lit by blue floodlights (I've heard both). Was probably really neat looking before people started junking it up.

--

Kara B.

#41 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:31 AM

I am sure curious what the final schedule for this building is. I guess it will be a wrecking ball?

www.fortworthview.com

#42 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:49 PM

Could be some of the last pictures of this old building...

Tonight from Tower's pool deck. (5th floor)

www.fortworthview.com

#43 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:54 PM

As you can see from Monee's pic, it's fenced off, and that banner you see on the fence identifies a demolition company.

ohmy.gif

#44 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:10 AM

In today's Star Telegram (Shlachter, Business section) we learn that the parking lot plans for this spot got turned down by the city. (Apparently for aesthetic reasons.) Also mentions that the 5th and Taylor location would, within a few years, become a development of ground floor retail with parking above that.
www.fortworthview.com

#45 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Sep 7 2009, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In today's Star Telegram (Shlachter, Business section) we learn that the parking lot plans for this spot got turned down by the city. (Apparently for aesthetic reasons.) Also mentions that the 5th and Taylor location would, within a few years, become a development of ground floor retail with parking above that.

That's good to hear, at least it's not a total loss.

#46 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Sep 7 2009, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also mentions that the 5th and Taylor location would, within a few years, become a development of ground floor retail with parking above that.

I'll believe that when I see it. This is Fort Worth, after all - "within a few years" has a habit of becoming a very long time.

--

Kara B.

#47 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:57 AM

Exterior progress tearing down this building. I have my good camera set up for hourly shots of them building the 2 houses in the Sundance Square parking lot so I grabbed my wife's old Kodak. Here are a few shots from this morning from the Tower Parking garage. (This is from the area I park)

Up close if you want to see the details.

They are switching from a small (seen in pic 1) to this big beast of a saw blade. I did not know they come this big.

I wish I could take off work today. (H1N1?)

www.fortworthview.com

#48 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

Well, that's sad. Maybe someone should have stuck an angel blowing a horn to the side of it.

#49 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:55 AM

Longhornz, I was Photoshopping™ a Bass Hall Angel to this building last night but after about 30 minutes of trying to do it right the effort/reward ratio thwarted the final effort. Not to mention it kind of made fun of a dying Friend. Not that I haven't done that plenty of times. newlaugh.gif

Here are some brand new shots of this building this morning. They are busting all the glass out. (where did my sling shot go?)

www.fortworthview.com

#50 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:41 AM

Ha good idea Monee. This gets the point across. I hope you don't mind me borrowing one of your images.

Save me now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users