25 replies to this topic

#1 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

I've always admired the Swiss architecture firm of Herzog and de Meuron.
One of their current projects is in Hamburg - converting a brick-laden, monolithic warehouse into a performance hall.

The hall is built on top of the warehouse, the warehouse underneath becomes parking.

The project is hopelessly overbudget but I admire its ambition and the innovative design.

Posted Image

Link to more image of the Hamburg philharmonic project

#2 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for that find. The rendering is amazing. Hope the reality is as amazing. And that's a great idea for the T&P warehouse. Something way out of the box. Too bad the property is in the hands of a troglodyte. Personally I find the idea discussed here of turning the structure into apartments a bit pedestrian. Come on Chamber of Commerce - Russia's Gazprom oughta' have a Barnett Shale presence and fancy office digs...

#3 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

Interesting looking building. Though I'd prefer to see the T&P warehouse building restored to it's former glory, not add a modern type addition on top of it's current features.

#4 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

I just threw up in my mouth a little.
My blog: Doohickie

#5 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

I would love to see an art deco statue adorn each corner. Maybe an angel with grand, sweeping wings.

#6 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

A little too gauche for cowtown? Looks like a giant king's crown on top. But I agree, something needs to be done about our eyesore.

#7 downtowndweller

downtowndweller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for that find. The rendering is amazing. Hope the reality is as amazing. And that's a great idea for the T&P warehouse. Something way out of the box. Too bad the property is in the hands of a troglodyte. Personally I find the idea discussed here of turning the structure into apartments a bit pedestrian. Come on Chamber of Commerce - Russia's Gazprom oughta' have a Barnett Shale presence and fancy office digs...

If there's anything downtown needs more of it is apartments and not office buildings.

#8 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

If there's anything downtown needs more of it is apartments and not office buildings.

Agreed, but dwellers anywhere need access to restaurants, bars, coffee shops, food stores, drink stores, cleaners, newsstands, computer repair shops, etc. The lower floor of the T & P Warehouse could be used for that sort of retail, a couple floors of offices for people who live there, and then the rest apartments. The roof... Ah, there is a lot of potential there. A thread on this forum, a couple of promises bv the owner to the city ago, explored how the roof could be used. I don't think the current owner has any vision of what the building could become, and more importantly, no wherewithal to see even a marginal restoration plan through.

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

More importantly, the owner doesn't have any money to make any vision for the building happen.

#10 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

Agreed, but dwellers anywhere need access to restaurants, bars, coffee shops, food stores, drink stores, cleaners, newsstands, computer repair shops, etc. The lower floor of the T & P Warehouse could be used for that sort of retail, a couple floors of offices for people who live there, and then the rest apartments. The roof... Ah, there is a lot of potential there. A thread on this forum, a couple of promises bv the owner to the city ago, explored how the roof could be used. I don't think the current owner has any vision of what the building could become, and more importantly, no wherewithal to see even a marginal restoration plan through.

Many of the windows of the T&P Warehouse have been broken out, so the structure has been exposed continuously over the years to the deleterious effects of the weather. Can anyone comment as to whether this building is structurally sound? Would a buyer face exorbitant costs for rehabilitation as opposed to demolition?

#11 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

That thing is made of a million tons of concrete (hyperbole). Either way the owner is facing a big chunk of change.

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Demolition would be very expensive. The building was built to last, and as far as I know, it is structurally sound.

#13 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

Shoreham Street - An upward extension of the existing industrial building in a contrasting but complementary volume.

Project Orange Architects

http://www.projectorange.com/projects/view/shoreham-street

#14 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

This sort of makes me think of the old 4th St. Methodist Church ruins on 4th St.:

http://www.fortworth...ethodist4th.jpg

As the Sundance group is looking at adding residential buildings east of their towers it would be cool if the ruins could be incorporated in some way into one of the projects.

#15 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

Fenix 1 warehouse in Rotterdam
http://www.designboo...nds-08-25-2015/

#16 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:12 AM

Not a bad design, though it kinda looks like a big stack of pancakes.

#17 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:00 PM

Hamburg Philharmonic to finally open in 2017

http://www.designboo...any-02-10-2016/

#18 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:44 AM

Fascinating design.  Building topped with giant rectangle-shaped crown.  Should be renamed "crown plaza."

#19 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:08 PM

New photos of Herzog and de Meuron's Hamburg Philharmonic

http://www.designboo...ron-07-22-2016/

#20 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:13 PM

I think it's ghastly. On it's own it'd be ok but looks incredibly odd on top of the existing building. 

#21 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:15 PM

No architectural ideas or changes for the building (I think it looks fine as is... well, you know what I mean), but I will still suggest it be used as some kind of government building/city department offices, maybe replacing Tarrant County Plaza.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#22 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:40 AM

I agree that the "crown" design looks better by itself, particularly when it has multiple stories.  As it is, the Hamburg Concert Hall appears "top heavy" (looks like it could capsize into the river).  Having said that, if the "crown" design is only one or two floors, then maybe it looks stylish atop a conventional building.

Having said that, I'm beginning to think anything done to the T&P Warehouse at this late date in its present condition is better than the status quo.

#23 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:32 PM

What's the latest on this building (T&P Warehouse)?  I haven't seen/heard anything lately.

#24 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:20 PM

I know absolutely nothing new.

#25 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:46 AM

I will still suggest it be used as some kind of government building/city department offices, maybe replacing Tarrant County Plaza.

I want a building this size to surge in value and make more money in the way of property tax. Taking it off the tax rolls and dumping government money (not grants or tax breaks) into restoring it is a lose-lose.

#26 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

A design by the late Zaha Hadid
"... Hadid was told that the original building must be preserved. Therefore, an additional structure atop was decided upon".

http://newatlas.com/...-antwerp/45598/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users