Photo
- - - - -

Never Built Fort Worth Shopping Malls

Hulen Mall Dillards Bloomingdales East Fort Worth Eastchase Arlington City View shopping malls

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JoelBurns

JoelBurns

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

My husband just jokingly texted me that he was the only person at the City View Target at 10 a.m. to not arrive in a seniors' assisted living facility van and, coupled with an article I read recently about the death of the American indoor shopping mall, it got me thinking about a couple of announced-but-never-built Fort Worth shopping malls.

One was where the City View big boxes are now that was supposed to include a Bloomingdales, Dillards and Sears, I think, and they were trying to get Foley's to move from the then smaller Hulen, which was co-anchored by Ward's. I remember retailers at Hulen Mall being nervous about it. As I recall, Dillards pulled out of it (and obviously signed onto a later Hulen Mall expansion) and the deal crashed. But I suppose if it hadn't, Hulen would now be, at best, like it's Rouse Company Austin sister Highland Mall, a junior college. Or like the other former Sanger Harris home, North Hills Mall: a parking lot. And Costco would be somewhere else.

The other was a planned East Fort Worth luxury mall at Eastchase/30/John T White Blvd to also include Bloomingdales (and maybe Lord & Taylor?), but, as lore goes, the City of Arlington refused to extend Lamar beyond Green Oaks to John T White as envisioned by City of Fort Worth planners connecting to North Arlington, and the deal died. How different that part of East Fort Worth would be today if they had succeeded.

Does anyone remember if either of these got as far as architectural renderings? Or know if my recollections are correct? I didn't find anything in a cursory Google search.

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

North Richland Hills recently opened a new city hall complex on the old North Hills Mall site, so at least a portion of it isn't vacant any longer. Prior to the old mall being shuttered and demolished, there was an announcement from a developer about renovation plans to compete with the quickly expanding Northeast Mall that included a new theater, a skating rink, and an entertainment complex similar to Dave&Busters. 9/11 happened a few months later and the plan never came to fruition.

Not in the FW city limits, but there was a mall planned for the Circle T Ranch property in Westlake and I vaguely remember it going as far as renderings being released. That plan surfaced around 1999 or so and has since evolved into more of a corporate campus/town square mixed use concept with the corporate campus part of it being the only part that's ever really come together.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

Joel, I vaguely remember those mall proposals, but I sure don't remember seeing any renderings of them.  This also ties back to my thread on buildings that were designed to have more floors added on top. Jeriat was confused about Hulen Mall when I said that Sanger Harris was designed for three floors and only built at two, even though the walls go up all the way.  I later clarified my description to call the building Sanger Harris/Foley's/Macy*s. 

http://www.fortworth...327#entry103394

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hulen Mall, Dillards, Bloomingdales, East Fort Worth, Eastchase, Arlington, City View, shopping malls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users