- - - - -

Demolition of the Landmark Tower (380 ft., 420 with clock)

• Please log in to reply
543 replies to this topic

#201 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:27 PM

Is d-day March 18th? Anyone know for certain?

#202 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:27 PM

It's been said this is the largest building to be imploded in Texas. Has any other office building as tall or taller than the Landmark been imploded anywhere else in the U.S.?

Also, with the Landmark being imploded, you would think a film crew would be on hand to tape this event for stock footage in some future action movie. Something like this implosion doesn't happen everyday, has word spread to Hollywood? wink.gif

#203 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:43 PM

It is the tallest building both imploded and demolished in Texas, not the largest. There have been several shorter buildings with larger square footage that have been imploded.

As far as I know, the date is still March 18th.

#204 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Mar 9 2006, 12:43 PM) View Post

It is the tallest building both imploded and demolished in Texas, not the largest. There have been several shorter buildings with larger square footage that have been imploded.

As far as I know, the date is still March 18th.

Just so you all know . Be warned if your downwind from the dust cloud, you may have a dust bath !
You may not be able to see your own hand in front of you . It's kinda scary but I had a blast.... sorry for the pun.

#205 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:11 PM

With an implosion in downtown with other buildings around, wouldn't that shatter windows in a surrounding area? I'm no expert, thats why I'm curious. I mean the force of the implosion to bring down a 30 story would cause major vibrations. Gee, just when the 2000 tornado had everyone replacing windows!

Something about this implosion makes me nervous thats all. I have a slight bad feeling. Then again these are professionals. Like it's been mentioned, this is the TALLEST building to be demolished in TX. How do they know it will come down smoothly if something like this doesn't come down very often. I hope this isn't an "experimental" project this demo crew has ever faced unsure.gif

#206 AlexIndia - JE Parris

AlexIndia - JE Parris

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth History, real estate, and especialy down town, and of course politics

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE(DrkLts @ Mar 9 2006, 12:27 PM) View Post

It's been said this is the largest building to be imploded in Texas. Has any other office building as tall or taller than the Landmark been imploded anywhere else in the U.S.?

Also, with the Landmark being imploded, you would think a film crew would be on hand to tape this event for stock footage in some future action movie. Something like this implosion doesn't happen everyday, has word spread to Hollywood? wink.gif

My name is Joseph Edgar Parris and I have been working for the past year doing research on the CNB, (I know is is Landmark Tower but being born in Fort Worth it has always been the CNB to me) Lone Star Film is one one my clients and they are doing a 30 minute documentary film on the CNB, it's birth life and the implosion. This film will be submited to PBS and divisions of the History Channel. We plan for it to be finished by the late Summer / Fall of this year. I have been doing allot of the networking and preproduction work since Feb of last year. We began working on the CNB by accident. We began doing research on the "7th Street gang and Amon Carter" but found that it was a much larger bite and will require allot more research and time. The CNB project came out of that however. I have not read this entire forum, but plan to. We have cameras planted on several buildings and some distence shots. We will do interviews in the coming weeks after it comes down. I spoke with Densmore a few minutes ago and he will be in the film. The hard date is confirmed for the 18th of March.

#207 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the info! I look forward to that documentary. Hope it all turns out great.

#208 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE(DrkLts @ Mar 9 2006, 01:11 PM) View Post

With an implosion in downtown with other buildings around, wouldn't that shatter windows in a surrounding area? I'm no expert, thats why I'm curious. I mean the force of the implosion to bring down a 30 story would cause major vibrations. Gee, just when the 2000 tornado had everyone replacing windows!

Something about this implosion makes me nervous thats all. I have a slight bad feeling. Then again these are professionals. Like it's been mentioned, this is the TALLEST building to be demolished in TX. How do they know it will come down smoothly if something like this doesn't come down very often. I hope this isn't an "experimental" project this demo crew has ever faced unsure.gif

Thier may be a window or two get broken . Thats why after all. No one can get too close to the blast zone . But its safe...Again other than the dust cloud, if you get hit with the cloud it will lay on you thick. When I was a kid the implosion was always on Sunday mornings .The one time we were down wind and we got it good. So I have no reson to miss church this time.

#209 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:30 PM

According to Implosionworld.com...

TALLEST EXPLOSIVELY DEMOLISHED BUILDING
Hudson’s Department Store
Detroit, Michigan USA

At first, protesters objected loudly to the razing of this 26-story, 439-foot tall structure located in the heart of Detroit’s commercial district. But years of neglect and decay precluded an economically viable alternative, and the building was brought down in 1998.

http://www.implosion...com/records.htm

#210 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:43 PM

Greetings Joseph Edgar Parris, and welcome to the forum.

Ok.. I will admit I am not timid and please take this kindly as we do not want to intrude... but

Any chance of a few of us poor forum members joining one of your crews locations ? We are strictly NOT commercial.... and any imaging would probably not go outside this forum area.

I had to ask.. as other forum members are probably thinking the same question.

Thank you in advance.

Dave still at 360Texas.com
Fort Worth, Texas
Fort Worth 817.346.4384

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#211 AlexIndia - JE Parris

AlexIndia - JE Parris

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth History, real estate, and especialy down town, and of course politics

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(360texas @ Mar 9 2006, 04:43 PM) View Post

Greetings Joseph Edgar Parris, and welcome to the forum.

Ok.. I will admit I am not timid and please take this kindly as we do not want to intrude... but

Any chance of a few of us poor forum members joining one of your crews locations ? We are strictly NOT commercial.... and any imaging would probably not go outside this forum area.

I had to ask.. as other forum members are probably thinking the same question.

Thank you in advance.

Dave still at 360Texas.com
Fort Worth, Texas
Fort Worth 817.346.4384

That is a good question. We have 7 high end commercial cameras and a few more that are consumer grade (used for black and white and effect shots) The producers and I are going over some of the logistics tonight of camera position and who will be where. Some camera experiance would be required I am sure. beyond that we might need some help. I will know more after tommarow. In the morning we are meeting with fire and policeI will let you know. Never hurts to ask. The Fire and Police are doing a great job on the implosion and realy exemplifies the difference between our city and others. The Police and Fire have had a great relationship with the folks at XTO and the MidWest Company. The implosion will go smooth. XTO has worked real hard to make the place safe and protect the properties around it.

#212 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:46 PM

I'll send you a mssg. with my experience. wink.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#213 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:06 PM

Welcome to the forum, JE!

I have been doing more inquiries and research on the implosion and what will be happening. First of all, I have found out what the wood block columns are for. Because of all of the transfer girders inside the building, the remaining columns that carry all of the load of the building are only in the corner bays. This is a very unusual supporting situation. Remember that I stated that the wood columns are where the mezzanine was hung? These are in locations of where columns would be placed if they all went down to the foundation and there were no transfer girders. When the actual columns are blown, then these will temporarily support weight and then give way just like column would react if it had a charge it it. These "simulated" columns give more control to the implosion.

Next thing, is that these people imploding the building are professionals. This is my 7th downtown implosion and I know that very few mistakes are made. What you will see in the coming week is more excavation around the building and the pile of dirt and rock going around the west side of the block. This will help to muffle the fall of the building. All of the surrounding buildings will have protection put up. I don't know exactly what that will be, but I'm sure some of the windows will be boarded up. Drklts mentioned that some glass will be broken. That is a given and is just part of the implosion process. There is money in the project to take care of these things. I also have more information to pass along, but I will do it in a later post.

#214 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:08 PM

My kids were so excited when we drove by. They liked the Jenga blocks too. This will be so much fun to watch even if it is on TV.

#215 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:29 PM

Julie, there is nothing like being there. It is definitely an experience. By the way, I am familiar with the Hudson's Department Store implosion. I couldn't go to Detroit, but I did see it on TV. One other thing to note about TV. Depending on the actual time of the implosion, there is probably a good chance one of the local newscasts will carry it live. A few weeks back, when Northpark 3 was imploded, Debbie Denmon on Channel 8 opened the newscast stating that you are looking at a live shot of the implosion and before she finished her introduction, she stopped speaking because you could hear the charges going off.

Getting back to what I heard today, the map of the no admittance zone shown in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram a few weeks ago appears to be incorrect. On that map, there was a two block area clear of the block where the Landmark Tower sits that was shown as the zone. However, it showed the boundary on the south at 8th Street. I thought to myself that it had to be too close and it really should be 9th. That was confirmed today. Remember, this is not official. This leaves limited sight lines on the ground outside the boundaries to view the complete building from top to bottom.

I'm sure that JE has some good camera locations set up. I'm going to go out Saturday morning and scout out some locations around 8 AM to pick out my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so forth locations to shoot. For my photography, I'm looking for the best location to get the best photos. It would really be nice to have some sort of forum meeting at the implosion.

My time is going to be limited because I have a project to be completed on April 4th and I've just about decided that I am going to have to work every day (including Sundays) to finish in time. This means that fairly quickly after the implosion, I'm going to have to dash home, upload the photos, shower, and then go to work. I'm actually trying to stay late during the weekdays, to possibly allow me to take the implosion day off.

At some of the earlier implosions that I have attended, if I was as close as possible to the building, I have come home covered in dust. On the few where I was several blocks away and upwind, I have come home clean. I'm guessing there will be less dust with this demolition, but this is a fairly tall building to be imploded. We will just have to see.

#216 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:36 PM

How about we have a little breakfast deal at a parking lot in DTFW that I may be able to set something up at. I've got the catering burners and smoke pit to haul there, park overnight and setup for some early breakfast tacos and sausage and egg plates. It's private property I believe. It will be like our base camp.

I'm up for it.
www.iheartfw.com

#217 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:56 AM

That sounds like a great idea Safly - if we happen to have access to electric, I have a 36 cup coffee urn. Probably have some other stuff, couple of tables if needed, paper plates, few other things. I'd be happy to help! I've never been to an implosion; watched them tear up the Library 15-20 years ago with a wrecking ball. Let me know what I can do!

#218 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:33 PM

ELECTRIC! ELECTRIC!

WE don't need no stinkin ELECTRIC to make "Cowboy Coffee". biggrin.gif

I'm up for it. Just need to round up some funds for costs. Coffee, eggs, sausages, peppers, CHEESE, veggies, hash browns, foil, plates, SALSAS, CARNE GUISADA and tortillas (homemade/ not).
www.iheartfw.com

#219 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:49 PM

I'm game for anything when it comes to food.

#220 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:59 AM

It could be a chilly day. Maybe we should go the chili way, or some good ol Saturday Mornin (S&M) Menudo.

Does anyone object to any lengua or barbacoa being cooked?

I just need the cost to be covered. The food HAS to be FREE, as I would need to purchase one of them worthless expensive street vendor license otherwise. Figure we can feed the crew and a crowd. I'll give a call to a good friend from a TV network to come on by.
www.iheartfw.com

#221 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:06 AM

How do you want to do funds? Mail some donations ahead of time? Pay you "donations" day of? I'm up for just about anything---- may have to pass on the menudo, tho - entirely too much of a gringa for that; and I don't know what lengua is blink.gif .

But I am certainly ready to help however you need me!

#222 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

One thing I forgot to mention, earlier this week, the sidewalk above the basement was separated from the remainder of the sidewalk in the block. I was by there this morning scouting out my location to shoot the implosion and excavation is now expanding northwest of the building. The hole is getting wider and bigger and now rock and dirt is piled up all along 6th Street and partially along Throckmorton.

I have also discovered that there is virually no place in downtown with a view where the entire building can be seen. There is only one place where the view is premium, and it is my understanding that the true press, and XTO employees will get that spot (if they will be allowed there by the Fire and Police Departments). That spot is right on the borderline of the boundary. I've picked my location, and if I'm further away than that, then my photos will not be all that great. So far, I have not picked my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choices.

#223 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 01:45 PM

Are you allowed on the parking garage top level directly north across the street?
Seems safe to me and it would just ROKK!

What are the perimeters allowed again?

BTW, lengua is cow tongue. (like this) tongue.gif biggrin.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#224 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:15 PM

Right now, it is two full blocks from the Landmark Tower. We will have to see exactly where the barricades are placed.

#225 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

My 11 year old Robert was reading over my shoulder and wants to know if he can come...lolol. Can anyone say field trip??

#226 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:28 PM

We're two blocks west of Landmark Tower in the Electric Building - something tells me that they won't let met just walk out the front door, stand in front of the Neil P., and take pics. smile.gif

--

Kara B.

#227 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:29 PM

THE LANDMARK TOWER ON ITS LAST WEEKEND

These are probably some of the last shots you will see from all angles of this building still standing. I went out this morning and took these to scout locations where I will be photographing the implosion.

This is the view that the Command Center will have and possibly employees of XTO Energy and the press:
IPB Image

Up until last week, the base on the west side had stucco on it. Now it is all removed.
IPB Image

Mounds of dirt and rock dug out from around the building and piled up on the north end of the block to contain debris from the implosion:
IPB Image

Northeast corner of base:
IPB Image

Southeast corner of base:
IPB Image

One last shot looking up from the intersection of 7th and Houston:
IPB Image

View of the mounds of dirt and rock along with some of the surrounding buildings:
IPB Image

Finally, if permitted, this is the location where I have chosen to take my photos of the event. This may change if I am permitted to go up to where the press will be shooting, which I am working on.
IPB Image

#228 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:05 PM

cry.gif

#229 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:06 PM

I LOVE good barbacoa...especially with scrambled eggs rolled up in a tortilla with green sauce. Okay I'm making myself hungry. I'd be happy to make a donation to the cause---just let me know how. We are going to see it with friends from a private place---maybe breakfast after the implosion?

I am just not an early morning person!

#230 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

I noticed as I was heading home from work today that there's now a banner at the top of the building on the south side. It was dark enough that I couldn't really read what was on it. I'll try to get a better look in the morning.

#231 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(redhead @ Mar 11 2006, 09:06 PM) View Post

I LOVE good barbacoa...especially with scrambled eggs rolled up in a tortilla with green sauce. Okay I'm making myself hungry. I'd be happy to make a donation to the cause---just let me know how. We are going to see it with friends from a private place---maybe breakfast after the implosion?

I am just not an early morning person!

I’ll probably sleep through this one too, managed to see just a little dust from the second TXU smoke stack. sleepgo.gif

#232 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:07 PM

JBB, the banner was on the building Friday, but this morning, it was not up as you can see from the photos. Unless things change, I will be set up at 10th and Monroe to shoot the implosion. I think this offers the best view from the ground.

#233 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

John, the first picture you posted and the 7th street shot are two of the best photos I've ever seen of Landmark, even in its present state. I think 10th and Monroe has potential, I might join you (possibly with a friend or two) if you don't mind and if I don't find another location to shoot. cool.gif

#234 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:36 PM

Jonny, the more the merrier. I am hoping that we can at least get together before the implosion and possibly afterwards. Anyone on the forum is welcome to meet me at 10th and Monroe. There is still a little doubt in my mind that photos will be allowed from this point because of the adjacent building. I'm also still working with XTO to get as far up front as possible.

Thanks for the comments about the photos.

#235 AlexIndia - JE Parris

AlexIndia - JE Parris

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:38 AM

Been reading some of the latest posts. regarding where to be... I have been at about every site far and near and have gone over the closed zones with all involved. Here is what I am telling my family and friends. if you know some one in an upper story who faces the CNB and is out of the closed zone, then plan to be there realy early. If you don't have a spot like that, then get far away. Go back to the Freeway to the east or the south. there are gaps in the buildings where you can see most of the CNB from. You will have a better view and you will be able to get back home faster. The closed zone will be so far back that both trafic and other spectators will crowd the view. Then, depending on the wind, the dust could realy be thick. Trafic will be like after the fireworks on the fourth of July... all in all my advice, unless you are an XTO guest or the media or have a penthouse, is to go about a mile or two out. get a lawn chair and enjoy the show. Besides, far away you will see the whole thing and as big as it is, when it crumbles the debree will still be prety tall. I remember as a boy watching the Worth Hotel come down. The crowed was allowed closer in in those days... it was also a smaller building too.

#236 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 07:53 AM

JE, thanks for the advice. My real problem is that I really don't know where the closed zoned are and where XTO is really setting up. I was thinking yesterday that the zone may indeed be further out than what I originally thought. If that's the case, then I will have to scout out new locations. You are right that is previous implosions the buildings were a lot shorter and it would make sense to move the perimeter further away. Scouting out new locations will be tough this week because I'm working a lot of hours overtime. However, I'm the type who wants to be in on the action, and I do plan to be close. I certainly don't mind showing up two or three hours early just to wait. I also don't mind waiting around in downtown quite some time for the traffic to thin out.

You have listed many advantages for being outside of downtown and I do think your advice is very good. If the forum members who are venturing downtown, or nearby, all want to avoid the crowds, then maybe we shouldn't get together during the implosion. If everyone was out on their own, then we would have the implosion covered from several different perspectives.

#237 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:46 PM

Sunday, 12 March

John I guess you are ahead of us in posting images. We were there around 10:30 a today.

Pat took this and a few more from the parking lot across the street...

IPB Image

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#238 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

Fabulous photos guys! Thanks for sharing! I feel like I'm right there in the midst of it all!

Mary Bess

#239 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:01 PM

I guess tacos POST-IMPLOSION sounds even better. Especially since I don't exactly know if I am allowed to setup where I originally wanted to. I can get them premade and rolled up 2GO Hot n Ready! biggrin.gif

And GREAT photos.
www.iheartfw.com

#240 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

360texas - We must have just missed each other. My girlfriend and I were around that same area around that same time.

--

Kara B.

#241 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:30 PM

We had tripods setup at our vantage point for about 30 minutes... after that it was point and shoot.

Just incase someone was thinking about our how we took the images, we were able to get top to bottom using our Canon cameras using a 10 -22mm at 10mm very wide angle lens.

I should have a full 360 panorama 360 x 180° available on our website Monday. I will edit this comment to show the link.

Dave and Pat still at 360Texas.com

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#242 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:07 AM

Do we know what time the big bang is gonna happen? I may have missed that in all this.

#243 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:39 AM

Saturday the 18th, between 7 and 8am.

#244 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE(JBB @ Mar 13 2006, 09:39 AM) View Post

Saturday the 18th, between 7 and 8am.

Anyone know what the forcast for Sturday is? The latest I have seen is TSTMS on Friday but I do not know about Saturday.
How bad does it have to be to postpone this event?

#245 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:44 AM

The OBVIOUS question nobody is asking!
Will a countdown be done over the radio or scanner that one can be ready? Something especially those taping/photographing this thing would want to know. Wouldn't you hate to spend all that time scouting a good spot and setting up camera, just to walk away for just a second or two and then KABOOM! newlaugh.gif

I mean waiting anywhere from 7 to 8am, you don't want to get too relaxed on your chair eating a McMuffin from McD's just to jump up with your mouth full rushing to hit the record button! Don't wanna choke and go down at the same time as the tower. ohmy.gif

#246 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:42 AM

You will know when the implosion is about to happen. They set up portable sirens to give warning to workers and personnel around the building. My memory is fading, but I think they have a warning siren sound at either 5 minutes or 2 minutes to detonation. I think at this warning, the siren is sounded twice. Then at 1 minute until detonation, a long siren sounds. At that point you will know when it is occurring. Then I would just stare at the building.

#247 EricTCU

EricTCU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:May 3051 Odessa Avenue rest in peace.<br /><br />And a curse, I say, a curse upon those TCU administrators for destroying the house so many of us called home. And for what, 16 parking spaces?? A CURSE!

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Feb 8 2006, 08:08 PM) View Post

We do need to set up some kind of coordinated forum photography session/effort/meet on that Saturday morning.

I am thinking about parking on Calhoun and walking up to the top of the Texas Weslyan Law School Garage. That would be six blocks south, two blocks east, and high enough to see over the convention center. I think that's far enough to get away from dust clouds.

Anybody have experience with the dust and have an idea of how far away to be to avoid it?

#248 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:04 PM

Thanks John for the info on when to expect the blast to happen.

Also, another usefull question I need answered. (My 1st implosion experience by the way)
I think I found a good spot to view the implosion outside of downtown. It seems like a safe distance away, but with me and a few others are concerned about the sound of the blast. The location is NOT next to Harris Hospital, but somewhat on the same street. It's just as far south from downtown where I'm gonna be.

So how far away can you be without wearing hearing protection? wacko.gif
I at at least need to know if I should simply cover my ears with my hands when the dynamite goes BOOM! ohmy.gif lol

#249 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:35 PM

At all of the other downtown implosions, I have been at the two block perimeter line (literally on the line), and the charges going off have not been that loud.

As for the dust, I've been right on the line when I was upwind at the Stripling's implosion and was not covered in dust at all. Stripling's was also only 7 stories, so the tall part of the building didn't have that far to fall. I was downwind at the Aviation Building implosion and I totally gray -- clothes, hair, and skin. So I was really covered.

#250 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:02 AM

With the latest forcast calling for a 60% chance of TSTMS on Saturday, any chance this might get postponed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users