570 replies to this topic

#551 Electricron

Electricron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:48 AM

Asked Bud Kennedy on Twitter. The new arena won't have ice, hockey could be played at the old place. Good guess Electricron.

Edit - CORRECTION - the new arena WILL have ice, seating 12k.

Doesn't matter, a two week, three weekend hole in the middle of a  pro hockey and basketball season isn't going to attract even minor pro league teams. That's why I keep suggesting they use the old arena, believe it or not 6,000 seat capacity is plenty for these minor league teams.  

The ice plant at the new arena might be used for Disney on Ice shows and figure skating events - but pro teams will not like three weekends in a row missing from their home game schedules. 

#552 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:28 AM

Back to naming rights.  .If it has to be named after a clothing manufacture, the name "Williamson-Dickie Arena" would have sounded more sophisticated.  Dickie's Arena sounds like a barn in a cow pasture.

#553 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

Asked Bud Kennedy on Twitter. The new arena won't have ice, hockey could be played at the old place. Good guess Electricron.

Edit - CORRECTION - the new arena WILL have ice, seating 12k.

Doesn't matter, a two week, three weekend hole in the middle of a  pro hockey and basketball season isn't going to attract even minor pro league teams. That's why I keep suggesting they use the old arena, believe it or not 6,000 seat capacity is plenty for these minor league teams.  

The ice plant at the new arena might be used for Disney on Ice shows and figure skating events - but pro teams will not like three weekends in a row missing from their home game schedules. 

Back to naming rights.  .If it has to be named after a clothing manufacture, the name "Williamson-Dickie Arena" would have sounded more sophisticated.  Dickie's Arena sounds like a barn in a cow pasture.

I don't recall the campaign for a new arena specifying that one of its objectives was to attract professional sports, minor or major.  Sporting events can certainly mean collegiate tournaments and olympics caliber events for which I am perfectly satisfied to host; as they bring in nearly 100 percent of out of town fans who bring in an infusion of out of town money and unlike a professional team whose base is largely local.

Dickie's is a wildly known brand.  I don't know how one can judge sophistication.  It is fortunate that a local company is happy to aid in the costs of operating the new arena with money that will come largely from sales of their products nationally.

Some of us will be comfortable calling it the "DA".

#554 tamtagon

tamtagon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:27 AM

Super stoked this arena is on tap. Dickies ought to propel attendance at the Fort Worth Stock Show into the same league as Houston and San Antonio, of course I'd it to be bigger. I think eventually coordinated effort across Fort Worth attractions could challenge the for the title of "super bowl of stock shows"....

#555 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:39 PM

The San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo is held at AT&T Center- a *full-sized* arena (18,000+ seats).

In other words, San Antonio's current arena is larger than our new arena will be.

- Dylan

#556 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:48 PM

And NRG seats 75,000 for the Houston rodeo.  I'm excited about what the new arena will do for show and rodeo attendance, but it certainly won't push it into Houston territory.

#557 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:38 AM

Does anyone know if the project promoters and/or designers actually sat down and thought about necessary seating capacity of this arena in comparison with those of other major cities...as a matter of being competitive in luring high-quality sports events?  If they were just thinking of keeping costs down, this whole project has shortchanged voters and taxpayers.

#558 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:25 AM

I know I beat this dead horse often, but the arena is being built to suit the needs and expected crowds of the arena's permanent tenant that's footing more than half of the bill: the rodeo. I don't blame them for not wanting to run a rodeo with empty seats on the off chance that it might get them NCAA tournament regional rounds or a women's final four every 10 years. They've already managed to snag a set of first and second NCAA tournament games and NCAA gymnastics meets. I think I would hold off on saying it won't be "competitive" when it comes to attracting events.

#559 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:41 AM

Does anyone know if the project promoters and/or designers actually sat down and thought about necessary seating capacity of this arena in comparison with those of other major cities...as a matter of being competitive in luring high-quality sports events?  If they were just thinking of keeping costs down, this whole project has shortchanged voters and taxpayers.

Look at Sundance Square and ask yourself if the people that are responsible for it look like the types who would think short-term and cut corners.

#560 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:52 AM

If you're referring to Sundance Square Plaza, I'm not sure it's an analogous comparison with a sports arena.  Plaza's may have inter-city competition as a matter of environmental esthetics, but we're talking about an objective measurement--that is, the capacity of our new arena to handle large venues in competition with other arenas around the country.  I understand that this arena will be used predominantly by the rodeo industry. 

But here's a thought--a major arena of even Fort Worth's planned seating capacity is most likely a "one shot" project.  Because of costs, a city simply can't foot the bill to build an arena for rodeos and then another arena for a major sports franchise, at least in the foreseeable future.  So, logically (at least my logic), arena planners should have thought about long-range planning in terms of competing for larger venues, sports or otherwise.  If only for the sake of an increasing city population and a growing national recognition of Fort Worth as a host for some kind of major sport.  To spend a great deal of money on a smaller-scale project just to suit the rodeo crowd is, in my opinion, shortchanging us for future competition.

#561 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:06 AM

As much as I like to dream, the chances of a NHL or NBA franchise moving to Fort Worth are miniscule at best. The risk/reward on that off chance is just tilted so far to the risk side that I can see the reasoning. There are too many dominos that have to fall into place. As for a one shot, look at Arlington. Once the new Rangers ballpark opens, they will have partnered on 3 major stadium projects in just 26 years. Never say never.

#562 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

I know I beat this dead horse often, but the arena is being built to suit the needs and expected crowds of the arena's permanent tenant that's footing more than half of the bill: the rodeo. I don't blame them for not wanting to run a rodeo with empty seats on the off chance that it might get them NCAA tournament regional rounds or a women's final four every 10 years. They've already managed to snag a set of first and second NCAA tournament games and NCAA gymnastics meets. I think I would hold off on saying it won't be "competitive" when it comes to attracting events.

Yeah, there are several people not seeing that. 

We'll get more events than that in the near future. 

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#563 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:55 PM

If you're referring to Sundance Square Plaza, I'm not sure it's an analogous comparison with a sports arena.  Plaza's may have inter-city competition as a matter of environmental esthetics, but we're talking about an objective measurement--that is, the capacity of our new arena to handle large venues in competition with other arenas around the country.  I understand that this arena will be used predominantly by the rodeo industry. 

But here's a thought--a major arena of even Fort Worth's planned seating capacity is most likely a "one shot" project.  Because of costs, a city simply can't foot the bill to build an arena for rodeos and then another arena for a major sports franchise, at least in the foreseeable future.  So, logically (at least my logic), arena planners should have thought about long-range planning in terms of competing for larger venues, sports or otherwise.  If only for the sake of an increasing city population and a growing national recognition of Fort Worth as a host for some kind of major sport.  To spend a great deal of money on a smaller-scale project just to suit the rodeo crowd is, in my opinion, shortchanging us for future competition.

My point is that the Bass family has proven over the past 4 decades that they think long-term.  You can bet that a LOT of thought went into exactly what you're asking about.

#564 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:17 AM

........ (1) But here's a thought--a major arena of even Fort Worth's planned seating capacity is most likely a "one shot" project.  Because of costs, a city simply can't foot the bill to build an arena for rodeos and then another arena for a major sports franchise, at least in the foreseeable future.  So, logically (at least my logic), arena planners should have thought about long-range planning in terms of competing for larger venues, sports or otherwise....(2)  If only for the sake of an increasing city population and a growing national recognition of Fort Worth as a host for some kind of major sport.  To spend a great deal of money on a smaller-scale project just to suit the rodeo crowd is, in my opinion, shortchanging us for future competition.

(1) Even Dallas, during a time of fiscal sanity, understood that it was or did not meet its "high priority" list to build a stadium for the Sultans of Professional Sports (SPS)  when there were more pressing needs that had to be met then and in the future. And too, one must concede that there is a mountain of intangibles and factors that make Dallas renowned beside professional sports.

Dallas has not been the host of one of the "super majors" the NFL Cowboys since 1971 when the Cowboys home was the Cotton Bowl (1960-71 @ 11 yrs.); moving to Texas Stadium/Irving (1972-2008 @ 38yrs); and now to AT&T Stadium/Arlington (2009 -present @8-50yrs*). Dallas has never hosted the Rangers, a team that has been in the area for 45yrs and will be there for another 40 yrs*.   If you google team information about the two super majors, (Cowboys and Rangers), you will see first and foremost that the teams are listed as Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas franchises.   This, plus fiscal reality, is enough rationality to make me, and in the case of the City,  think that Fort Worth's leaders feel absolutely no pressure to build anything to accommodate the SPS at the expense of other civic priorities. I agree with the City's stance and their thinking.

(2) The arena will prove to be very productive venue hosting out of town visitors percentage wise then would local sports franchise.  Out of town business is a net infusion of money into the local economy; with the arena being the ideal venue at the appropriate sized for the influx of this kind of money.

The actual shortchanging of us for the future came when the City chose to refuse the seed money for a streetcar. Of course that is another discussion that is still needs to be revisited.

#565 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

The actual shortchanging of us for the future came when the City chose to refuse the seed money for a streetcar. Of course that is another discussion that is still needs to be revisited.

That's because this project and that project were not run by the same Clan. You can be darn sure that had it been the Bass Streetcar line feeding Sundance square, it would have been like pigs at the public trough, just like this project is.

#566 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

Afterthought about naming arena "Dickies."  Who am I to stand in the way of populism?  The name will grow on us over time and maybe we'll even forget good-ol' Will Rogers!  But calling it "DA" is risking criminal prosecution.

Renamerusk, I didn't know that Cowboys and Rangers were listed as "Dallas-Fort Worth" franchises.  With no intention of trying to be cute, if what you say is true, then I don't think Jerry Jones would mind if the Cowboys traded names periodically--maybe once every 10 years.  You know, 10 years as Dallas Cowboys and 10 years as Fort Worth Cowboys.  It's only fair, don't ya think?

#567 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

(1) - Afterthought about naming arena "Dickies."  Who am I to stand in the way of populism?  The name will grow on us over time and maybe we'll even forget good-ol' Will Rogers!  But calling it "DA" is risking criminal prosecution.

(2) - Renamerusk, I didn't know that Cowboys and Rangers were listed as "Dallas-Fort Worth" franchises.  With no intention of trying to be cute, if what you say is true, then I don't think Jerry Jones would mind if the Cowboys traded names periodically--maybe once every 10 years.  You know, 10 years as Dallas Cowboys and 10 years as Fort Worth Cowboys.  It's only fair, don't ya think?

1. Yes, the name may evoke a smile or two on the face of some; but it is well known locally and most, if not all of us here, have both an understanding and a bit of civic pride about the company.  As seems the custom for quick referencing, terms like AA Arena have become widely used and acceptable; and had the new arena been branded Lockheed Arena, I can easily imagine it being known as The Lock.  Here's a bet: Dickies will become synonmous with Fort Worth; while AA is used in both Dallas and Miami, which can did induce some confusion.

2. By all practical measures, the Cowboys are a DFW franchise, just like the International Airport is a DFW franchise. But more pertinent, the NFL by-laws grant the Cowboys not only Dallas and Fort Worth, based upon broadcasting rights, but a league abiding territorial rights that covers the vast majority of four adjacent states. Honestly, Cowboy fans in Oklahoma or Arkansas or even West Texas don't bother to think of the City of Dallas when giving their support to the Cowboys; I know that I certainly do not.

Pardon my lack in skills to narrow the following illustration to one illustration, but I think it provides ample proof to support my assertion:

https://www.google.c...z6btMBoI9ZvMBM:

:)

#568 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:52 AM

Wow!  Quite an expansive territory for the Cowboys.  But I would have thought it included the entire North American continent seeing as how fans dub it "America's team."  (Just joking...) 

Straying off topic here.  I hope the new Dickies Arena becomes a concert showcase while hosting rodeo events.

#569 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:30 AM

(1) Wow!  Quite an expansive territory for the Cowboys.  But I would have thought it included the entire North American continent seeing as how fans dub it "America's team."  (Just joking...) 

(2) Straying off topic here.  I hope the new Dickies Arena becomes a concert showcase while hosting rodeo events.

1 - Returning from a trip to N.M. during NFL season,  the flight was jammed with Cowboys Fans on their way to AT&T (Metroplex); even ABQ airport workers spoke of the Cowboys as though they were their team.

2 - DA is envisioned to meet the needs of a particular crowd size.  It is hard to contemplate a Superstar Entertainer forgoing a 20K AA or a 80K AT&T.; and eventually, Ranger Stadium  in ticket sells. I personally would prefer a Verizon. On the other hand, if you are hoping for concerts during rodeo, then perhaps.

#570 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

Crane erection going on at Dickies. 

DADu5Y4UwAAMM3q.jpg

#571 rriojas71

rriojas71

Advanced Member