Save the Ridglea Theater & Office Bldg. - May Be Partially Demolished

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#51 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

That theatre is a landmark. When I was living in Ridgley and commuted between there and wherever, I didn't know I was in Ridglea till I saw the theatre and the big stores just west of it. If they tear all that down (and they've done so to the northwest side of Camp Bowie), how will the locals know they're almost home?

#52 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (Steve Watkins @ Jul 1 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just heard from a interested party that contacted the owners of the property about buying the Ridglea and keeping it a bar/music venue. She had the resources to buy it, and the financing lined up. She was told that BOA was already in escrow on the place. it's done.

Bummer! But as John says, we've got a year to work on it unless there's a quick Sunday morning demo. While saving the facade is better than nothing, I suppose, it's kind of like placing someone's head on a pike rather than keeping the living person. It's not as though we don't have enough branch banks in town already-we certainly have almost no old theaters like the Ridglea remaining. Demolition is forever!

#53 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:43 PM

Am I missing something here? This looks like a big pain in the neck for the bank and a public relations nightmare. If I was the local or regional head of BofA, I would be wary of doing something like this that might result in a black eye among the very customers they are trying to court.

In my opinion, that is the ticket here. We should make it crystal clear to the decision makers at Bank of America in Fort Worth (and I think their regional main office is in Dallas) so that they abandon this site due to public outcry and, because they are a conscientious corporate citizen, pursue an alternate site or WORK ONLY WITHIN THE EXISTING BUILDINGS and DO NOT DEMOLISH ANY OF IT. Let's write BofA local and regional officers and PR people, not just our elected officials.

There are other options in the neighborhood, along Camp Bowie - and more will come available over time.
Bank of America has a site dedicated to their community revitalization efforts (via lending). They promote this yet this proposal to demolish the cherished Ridglea Theater is completely at odds with their efforts elsewhere.

http://www.bankofame....com/community/

#54 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:59 AM

Urbndwlr, after all of the work that I have been doing on this within the last two weeks, I have come to the same conclusion. We need to send the local and regional offices of Bank of America letters to let them know how we feel about this project.

#55 Levi Weaver

Levi Weaver

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (Steve Watkins @ Jul 1 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just heard from a interested party that contacted the owners of the property about buying the Ridglea and keeping it a bar/music venue. She had the resources to buy it, and the financing lined up. She was told that BOA was already in escrow on the place. it's done.

Steve, can you get in touch? info (at) leviweaver (dot) com.

It is under contract (Fix Funding wouldn't say to whom, but ...c'mon. It's Bank of America), but it's not a done deal yet. I've been on the phone with a number of people over the last week - from John (Hi, John) to City Council to Washington, D.C.

Without saying too much, or making promises I can't keep - It's not all said and done just yet. Being in touch with someone who has funding could be a big step in the right direction.

#56 Levi Weaver

Levi Weaver

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

Just bumping this to make sure it doesn't go 'out of sight, out of mind' after the long weekend.

does anyone have a contactor / inspector that they know and trust that would be able to go check out the building and give an estimate on what it would cost to ensure the building is up to code?

I know, I know - right now, it's under contract; most likely in escrow to the Bank of America, but... let's say hypothetically that there was still a very good chance that could change soon - I'd like to be as prepared as possible, you know?

#57 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

Historic Fort Worth, Inc. will be hosting a tour of the building on Thursday, July 29th at 5:30 PM. The tour is free for Historic Fort Worth members, but there will be a $10 charge for non-members. For reservations, please contact Corry Smith at corry_smith@historicfortworth.org. I will be conducting the tour of the building and the current operators, Richard Van Zandt and Wesley Hathaway will be there to answer questions. This will be a great chance to view one of HFW's Most Endangered Buildings while it is still occupied. Other than HFW setting up the tour (which was in the process as the Most Endangered List was being announced), I don't have any new updates.

#58 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

Preston Jones with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram has a new update on Levi Weaver's plans for the building at www.dfw.com.

Here is the link to his story: http://www.dfw.com/2...he-ridglea.html

As you know, tonight is the night for the tour of the building for the public to see the building as it is today.

#59 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

Last night, over 200 people showed up to tour the Ridglea Theater, sponsored by Historic Fort Worth. The crowd was so large that we had to split up into several groups. I led one of those groups. It was good to see a few of our forum members there. I want to thank you all for coming. I also saw a few people from the Fort Worth Bicycling Association. I also had a chance to visit with Levi Weaver again.

I am hoping that this tour helped to raise awareness of how important the theater and the adjacent office building are to Camp Bowie Boulevard. If we lose most of the theater and front portion of the retail/office building, then what's next to go along Camp Bowie? Will all of the original A.C. Luther built Ridglea Village fall victim to branch banks, strip malls, and suburbia? With the partial demolition of the Ridglea Theater, that's where we are heading. Although I have been recently focusing my attention on Bank of America, it is time to tell our City Council representatives that they need to step up to the plate for Historic Preservation.

#60 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

I've posted 30 of my own photos from the tour here:

http://fortwortholog...e-ridglea-tour/

Here are some samples:

http://fortwortholog...e-ridglea-tour/

--

Kara B.

#61 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

At the neigborhood association meeting this afternoon , Zimmerman was clear to me he sees not better plan than B of A's plan. When confronted by member of FW Historical Society he attacked her back. Not exactly what I want to see in my city council member.

#62 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Thurman52 @ Aug 1 2010, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When confronted by member of FW Historical Society he attacked her back. Not exactly what I want to see in my city council member.

It's become the Fort Worth way, at least for the council. Time to clean house.

#63 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

Thurman, the proper name for the city's preservation organization is Historic Fort Worth. I even hate to correct you, but I feel like I we should at least have the correct information posted here, when possible.

#64 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:58 PM

Thanks John!

#65 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:27 AM

I serve on the Board of Directors, so I always want to make sure our name is correctly given.

Does anyone have any new news on the building?

#66 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:41 PM

I'm sorry that this thread hasn't been as active as some of the other web sites and blogs. One of the reasons that I haven't been posting is that I have been very busy at work and I have been coming in early and staying late most days.

The other reason is that I have been sitting in on those meetings that concern Zim Zimmerman, Fix Funding, and Bank of America. I have been representing Historic Fort Worth along with Jerre Tracy, our Executive Director. Since I have been attending those meetings at that capacity, I have chosen not to share publicly the details of those meetings.

I was hoping that enough of the regular posters on this forum would carry the weight of this discussion. In the two meetings that I attended, the preservationists were outnumbered. At the last one on Wednesday, the numbers were 9 to 2 in favor of the current proposal because Bank of America had 4 people attending. Without them stating it directly, we were informed that this is a done deal. We left the meeting agreeing to disagree.

I don't know what my next approach will be. Many days, I have put in 8-10 hours of work and then another 8 hours on saving the Ridglea Theater and adjacent retail/office building. I will still be working through Historic Fort Worth on saving the building.

Jerre and I were fortunate enough to be interviewed by Jim Douglas from WFAA, Channel 8 on Thursday, the day after the meeting. They only quoted me for one sentence, but that's OK because I didn't have any time to prepare.

I still think we need to continue to call or e-mail Bank of America and City Councilman Zim Zimmerman. Write editorials to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and to the Dallas Morning News. The reason that I include the Dallas paper is that it appears that some of the directives from the bank are coming from the regional offices.

I have one more comment to make about the City's Master Plans for the Urban Villages and projects. The Trinity River Vision Plan indicated on all of their drawings, sketches, and planning documents that the TXU Power Plant and smokestacks were key elements in the design. The Ridglea Urban Village Plans show the theater and the office building as one of the key elements of the village. You can distinctly see the tower in the renderings. I think the city should stop using such buildings in the promotion of the villages, unless they are historically designated, when there is no guarantee that the buildings will be standing in the future.

I would like to kick start this thread again, so please post your comments here.

#67 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

Mrs. Doohickie and I had to drop off some school supplies at the current B of A building just south of the Ridglea Theater. (A charitable organization that's giving school supplies to foster kids has space in the building.) The old theater and office building are pretty awesome and it will be a shame if they are torn down. On the other had, I noticed that the building has a lot of vacancies. I don't know if the empty spots are chronic or due to the fact that B of A is coming in.
My blog: Doohickie

#68 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:22 PM

The building has a lot of vacancies because the previous owners (before Fix Funding), did not repair the two buildings. Usually when landlords do not maintain office buildings, the tenants move out when their leases are up.

#69 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:07 AM

We need to keep the discussions going, so if you have anything to post, please post it here.

#70 Levi Weaver

Levi Weaver

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:23 AM

a quick synopsis of my last few days:

When I heard that Zim had indicated that most of the opposition for the bank had come from the "music fans" and that he had letters of approval from neighborhood associations, I was shocked. I have heard nothing but opposition from everyone I've talked to. So I decided to e-mail every officer of every neighborhood association not just in Districts 3 and 7, but in all of Fort Worth. I haven't had 100% coverage, since some contact information was not listed, and some was incorrect, but every officer whose information was listed correctly has now gotten an e-mail.

I've gotten a lot of new e-mails this morning, so these numbers are not exact, but the new e-mails seem to continue this trend: The response has been about 80% opposed to the bank, 15% with no opinion, and 5% in favor of the bank.

One of the guys who responded was an acquaintance of Zim's, and said Zim called him immediately after he sent an e-mail to his entire neighborhood association and copied Zim on it. Apparently he's willing to listen again, at least according to that conversation. So I am frantically putting the finishing touches on my business plan and will present to Zim soon. We'll see what he says. If he's only gotten the e-mails that people have cc'd me on, he's gotten a lot lately. I assume he's had a few more that I have not been privy to.

#71 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:11 AM

I emailed the BOA contacts (I have my mortgage there) as well as my City Council Rep (not Zim). I haven't received a response from any of them.

#72 Levi Weaver

Levi Weaver

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:30 AM

It's not surprising at this point that they are clamming up a bit.
I was at a Neighborhood Association with Zim tonight (Bomber Heights) and he was furious.
It looks like it is all coming to a head soon. I think our last hope is a grand and dramatic moment; an Empire Records moment.

I propose: City Council Meeting, September 7th. 7:00pm

Here is a Facebook event
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/ev...1529&ref=mf

#73 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

Is it on the agenda on Sept 7th?

QUOTE (Levi Weaver @ Aug 17 2010, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was at a Neighborhood Association with Zim tonight (Bomber Heights) and he was furious.

Tell us MORE!!!

#74 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

According to Levi's blog at http://www.ridgleatheater.org, he is putting the subject on the City Council agenda on September 7th. That is a night meeting. The Citizen Presentation portion of the Council agenda is where citizens may address the Council on any matter. There are certain rules that you must follow, but they do give the average citizen a chance to speak.

From what I know about the project, current laws and ordinances, nothing regarding the proposed Ridglea Theater project would be heard by a regulatory body. Therefore, putting the subject on the agenda as a Citizen Presentation is the only way to get this as a part of public record.

I'm sure Levi will have more details later.

#75 Levi Weaver

Levi Weaver

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

UPDATE: The September 7th meeting has been moved to September 14th.

I'll definitely provide more details in the next week but for now, keep that date open in your calendars.

#76 Levi Weaver

Levi Weaver

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:55 AM

Ah, and as for Zim. I don't think he realized that I was planning to be there. I got there late, but Sheryl Cornelius (the President of the Ridglea Hills Addition Neighborhood Association) was there and was able to keep Zim accountable when he would begin to state things that were untrue or misleading. (Example: Despite my having told him on numerous occasions that I will be moving back to Fort Worth if we are allowed to purchase the theater, he responded to a question about where I was from with an emphatic "He's from NASHVILLE!!!")

Sheryl was so kind as to set the facts straight. (While I do live in Nashville currently, both my wife and I, as well as our families, are from the area. She graduated from Southwest High School, I attended Texas Wesleyan University, we were married in the theater - Fort Worth is where we're "from".)

Once I arrived, there was a brief, rather unpleasant but not combative exchange and we were asked by the association President to "play nice". Zim had to go to another meeting (I wish I knew which one, I'd have sent Sheryl) but I would be allowed to speak later.

After a "thorough" safety presentation, I got the floor 30-40 minutes after the meeting was supposed to have ended. I apologized for the exchange with Zim, gave a 60 second description of the facts that are not being heard in the case, and sat down.

...They kept me there for another half an hour asking me questions.
By the time it was over, they thanked me for coming and said they would be on board to help wherever they could.

Oh, and Arlington Heights is in opposition to the bank as well.
2-for-2.
Anyone know any more association meetings I can get to? I'm already on the agenda for Como on Sept 8th and North Hi Mount on the 13th.

#77 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:24 PM

Has there been any discussion of BoA building from the ground up on another site on Camp Bowie? I would reckon that would fit their business model better than the plan involving the theater. I realize the theater is a prime spot, but the area in question isn't exactly built out like Manhattan.

#78 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (Levi Weaver @ Aug 16 2010, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I heard that Zim had indicated that most of the opposition for the bank had come from the "music fans"

pretty much everyone i know is a "music fan" of some sort or other.

otoh, i know a lot of people who aren't particularly big fans of large banks these days.

#79 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (Levi Weaver @ Aug 17 2010, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(Example: Despite my having told him on numerous occasions that I will be moving back to Fort Worth if we are allowed to purchase the theater, he responded to a question about where I was from with an emphatic "He's from NASHVILLE!!!")

Sheryl was so kind as to set the facts straight. (While I do live in Nashville currently, both my wife and I, as well as our families, are from the area. She graduated from Southwest High School, I attended Texas Wesleyan University, we were married in the theater - Fort Worth is where we're "from".)

And Bank of America is based in Charlotte.

They're not going to move to Fort Worth if that bank branch opens.

In any case, I'm not sure why it would matter to Councilman Zimmerman where Levi or BofA are from. The only thing that matters is which proposal is best for the neighborhood, the district, and the city. If Councilman Zimmerman (or anyone else) believes the bank to be the better project, what would it hurt to demonstrate that with facts and reason? It's a good place to start. Trying to make a big deal out of something that is entirely irrelevant leaves the impression that either you are ignorant or that you believe your audience to be.

(Coincidentally, BofA Chairman Chad Holliday was born in Nashville. Wonder if Councilman Zimmerman sees that as a strike against the bank.)

#80 Levi Weaver

Levi Weaver

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:52 PM

This is my official invitation to gdvanc to be my new friend. I do believe I like the cut of your jib, sir.

#81 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

well, thank you, Levi. friendship humbly accepted! :)

#82 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

Levi, I really admire your dedication toward this project. I haven't heard any updates in the last few days. Yesterday, I went out and took some new photos of the exterior of both the theater and the retail/office building next door.

#83 Levi Weaver

Levi Weaver

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

Levi, I really admire your dedication toward this project. I haven't heard any updates in the last few days. Yesterday, I went out and took some new photos of the exterior of both the theater and the retail/office building next door.

I'm supposed to be sending at least three hi-res photos to a member of the AIA, who is nominating the building for their list of Most Endangered Buildings. a.) Will you have those with you on Monday, and b.) Would you mind if I borrow them to send in with the multitude of letters I've received?

#84 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

Levi, I will have them with me at the office on Monday. I don't mind if you use them.

#85 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

I would like to hear more impressions from the forum members about the current proposal for the property. Do you think saving the facade and the lobby of the theater is enough preservation? Do you think demolishing the office building as a part of the plan will harm the look of the street? Do you think a branch bank is the best use for this property? Do you think the entire complex should be demolished because starting from a vacant lot will lead to a better development? What do you think is the best use for this property?

#86 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:24 PM

I would like to hear more impressions from the forum members about the current proposal for the property. Do you think saving the facade and the lobby of the theater is enough preservation? Do you think demolishing the office building as a part of the plan will harm the look of the street? Do you think a branch bank is the best use for this property? Do you think the entire complex should be demolished because starting from a vacant lot will lead to a better development? What do you think is the best use for this property?

John,
Let's look at this from a different perspective. Let's say new theaters are the hot new commodity and the subject is a historic bank building that helped create and define this neighborhood. Would saving the historic bank sign and a representative teller cage be enough preservation? Or, would building a theater somewhere else and letting the historic bank building remain be perhaps better? Of course, Banks are not the same as theaters, people do not often meet their future wives or husbands at banks or take their first loves on a first date at the bank. However, such things happen all the time at a theater. They are meeting places for people, they give us a look at popular culture via the medium of film, and provide a refuge from heat, cold, and boredom. A branch bank is a branch bank, period, While I'm sure local bank execs will present analysis numbers showing the profitability of a bank at this location, it mainly benefits the bank's bottom line and outside of maybe improving customer convenience, does not return the same intangible benefits to the public that this theater has for many decades. Yes, the theater's owners made profits, it is a business afterall. But the Ridglea also became a neighborhood meeting place and for many provided cherished personal memories that a bank never could. I cannot see where saving the theater facade would do much except to remind people what was once there is there no more. We already have too much "facade" preservation examples downtown but very few original intact historic buildings. I personally would like to see the Ridglea theater preserved, it is one of a very few of its kind remaining. But that is simply my own opinion and does not carry much weight. In the end, the outcome will largely depend on financial/business considerations, not nostalgia or historic preservation. Hard to believe in our current weak local economy that the need for a new branch bank is so pressing, but maybe it is.

#87 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has a new article just posted on their web site. It was written by Sandra Baker.

http://www.star-tele...pose-banks.html

#88 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

This entire thread makes me ill. I grew up in Riddlea with the Ridglea Theater basically around the corner. I always went to movies at the Ridglea when I was a kid because it was so close to my parents' house. I saw Jaws there (sneaked in becuase I wasn't old enough) and still don't swim in the ocean. I saw Star Wars there multiple times, and I saw Empire Strikes Back about 20 times the summer it was out. I also sneaked in to see the original Halloween at Ridglea Theater (again, not old enough).

To me, The Ridglea Theater is a West Side icon on par with the likes of Will Rogers, the Kimbell, etc. It's one of the definitive Camp Bowie landmarks. I still think it's sad it's not a movie theater. I wish they could rstore it and make it as sucessful as The Inwood Theater in Dallas. That theater is still going strong!

So so so sad!

#89 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

I would like to hear more impressions from the forum members about the current proposal for the property. Do you think saving the facade and the lobby of the theater is enough preservation?

Heck no. A view of the pictures in this thread show that the building is a treasure inside. Don't mess with that!
My blog: Doohickie

#90 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:25 AM

Do you think saving the facade and the lobby of the theater is enough preservation?

Saving the façade and the lobby is little more like historic preservation than taxidermy is like wildlife preservation. I mean, I guess it sort of saves something for future generations to experience, but - criminy! - we can do better.

If the building was falling apart and in danger of being demolished altogether then perhaps saving part of it would be some consolation. In this case, however, what we have is in decent shape and whatever is destroyed will never be replaced. Such buildings provide something similar to what museums provide: a connection to our past and to those who have gone before us. But unlike a glass-encased relic displayed in a museum, this piece can still serve in its original role, or something close to it. We can still go there and be entertained, mingle with friends and strangers, and for a while be transported away from whatever stresses and trials we face outside those doors.

Do you think a branch bank is the best use for this property? Do you think the entire complex should be demolished because starting from a vacant lot will lead to a better development? What do you think is the best use for this property?

Craven capitalist though I tend to be, I do not think a bank is remotely the best use for this property. Frankly, I find it difficult to understand why anyone would get particularly excited about a new bank branch in the first place. Are we somehow under-served by the financial industry? No, we are not. This isn't Scurry or Lillian or Godley. Perhaps in a more rural town a new bank branch would be big news, but here bank branches are fairly easy to come by.

I will boldly suggest that bank branches do not make attractive anchors for a development - assuming there's an interest in turning this area into something of a destination. I once wrote here of a book entitled Main Street: Some Lessons in Revitalization by economist Dr. Louis Lopilato II; without rehashing what I previously wrote, I would rank bank branches with real estate agencies and other examples of what Dr. Lopilato calls "hit and run" retail in that people visit them intending to get in and out as quickly as possible. They tend not to generate a great deal of traffic for their neighbors. They do not tempt people to make an evening of it and spend the week's entertainment budget. For one thing, they close too damn early.

One of the things we should want for the property and one of the things that should excite us about any new local development is the potential for increased capital inflows into the local economy or the reduction of outflows away from the local economy. A new bank branch is unlikely to achieve either of these goals. An entertainment venue, on the other hand, has a much higher potential for net capital inflows. People will drive from other parts of the Metroplex (and hopefully beyond) for entertainment. Banking services, on the other hand, they can get anywhere.

The building as it currently stands is designed and well-suited for a particular type of use. Such a use has a much higher potential for bringing together local residents than does another bank branch. Such a use has a higher potential for bringing money into the local economy than does another bank branch. Such a use has a higher potential for generating recognition for the neighborhood and the city than does another bank branch. It sits there ready to reach the potential to do all of these things if it is developed correctly. If it is lost or modified in a way that sacrifices that potential, it is very unlikely that the neighborhood will see anything else built that will match it. What a shame that would be for the neighborhood and indeed for the entire city.

#91 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:33 AM

To the architect wannabes: How do you solve the parking problems? The front half of the property (BoA site) is under one ownership and everything behind the double drive through in the center of the office building is another ownership. If you need more property information, check TAD. Also, you might want to check the zoning and Ridglea Urban Village information online at the city's web site. One more bit of information that you might need would be to check on news articles about related and adjacent properties.

#92 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:25 AM

There have been several misconceptions put out there regarding this project, and one by one, I would like to clarify them. The first is that the theater and adjacent office building are not historic. Granted, they don't have the official designation, but if a designation were submitted to the Landmarks Commission, the building must meet at least 3 of the criteria for a local Historic and Cultural Landmark designation and 5 of the criteria for a Highly Significant Endangered Landmark designation. It is also generally assumed that the building must be at least 50 years old in addition to the criteria below:

The following criteria and supplemental examples shall be used to propose the significance of structures, sites and their features, or neighborhoods and to evaluate designation by the City of Fort Worth as Highly Significant Endangered, Historic and Cultural Landmark district and Demolition Delay:

1. Is distinctive in character, interest or value; strongly exemplifies the cultural, economic, social, ethnic or historical heritage of the City of Fort Worth, State of Texas or the United States, including, but not limited to:

• Site or structure associated with a particular ethnic, religious, social or cultural group's history or development;
  • Site or structure associated with the founding, development or expansion of an historical or established business in the City of Fort Worth, the State of Texas or the United States; or
  • Site or structure associated with a documented theme in the history of Fort Worth such as the Pioneer and "Fort Worth" era, the Cattle Drives and the Stockyards, Railroads, development patterns, or oil, aviation and other industries.
2. Is an important example of a particular architectural type or specimen in the City of Fort Worth, including, but not limited to:

• Example of a high style form of architecture such as Victorian, Art Deco or Beaux Arts;
  • Example of a revival style of architecture such as Classical Revival or Tudor Revival; or
  • Example of documented vernacular or regional architecture such as a shotgun or bungalow.
3. Has been identified as the work of an important architect or master builder whose individual work has contributed to the development of the City of Fort Worth, including, but not limited to:

• Work of an architect, landscape architect or builder known on a national scale such as Louis Kahn, Phillip Johnson, or Tadao Ando;
  • Work of an architect or builder known for specific contributions to Fort Worth such as Wyatt Hedrick, Preston Geren, or Wiley Clarkson; or
  • Work associated with an architecture, landscape architecture or building firm identified with significant projects in Fort Worth such as Sanquinet and Staats; Hare and hare, or Van Slyke & Woodruff.
4. Embodies elements of architectural design, detail, materials or craftsmanship which represent a significant architectural innovation, including, but not limited to:

• Contains specific and identifiable architecture features;
  • Contains information about primitive or archaic construction methods or design; or
  • Contains materials significant for their use or manner of use.
5. Bears an important and significant relationship to other distinctive structures, sites or areas, either as an important collection of properties of architectural style or craftsmanship with few intrusions, or by contributing to the overall character of the area according to a plan based on architectural, historic or cultural motif, including, but not limited to:

• Contributes to a neighborhood or area described by previous historical survey as eligible local or National Register District;
  • Associated with an established pattern of development applied similarly across a defined neighborhood or subdivision;
  • Associated with a style of architecture, type of construction, or detailed feature of significance to a class of building or geographic area.
6. Possesses significant archeological value, which has produced or is likely to produce data affecting theories of historic or prehistoric interest, including, but not limited to;

• Tests a hypothesis or process in important research in the social sciences, or humanities;
  • Corroborates or enhances current information on the past, its people, or processes; or;
  • Reconstructs a culture or site for the purpose of identifying and explaining connections to or between historic or prehistoric events, cultures, or peoples.
7. Is the site of a significant historic event, including, but not limited to:

• Location of a specific event important to the history of the city, state, or country such as a Civil War battlefield or the site of the original military fort at Fort Worth;
  • Specific location of a pattern of events significant to the history of the city, state, or country such as part of the Chisholm Trail or a depot on the railroad; or
  • General location establishing a pattern of events significant to the city, state, or country such as an industrial district representing the city's achievements in the meat packing industry or a neighborhood developed by oil barons.
8. Is identified with a person or persons who significantly contributed to the culture and development of the City of Fort Worth, State of Texas or the United States, including, but not limited to:

• Site associated with a specific person of significance to the city, state, or country such as the home of John Ryan, the office of Amon Carter, or the grave of Ripley Arnold;
  • Site associated with a business or personal interest to someone of significance such as a neighborhood developed by John Ryan or the site of a club with membership of noteworthy citizens; or
  • Site associated with a known organization or group of people with significance such as a fraternal organization or congregation.
9. Represents a resource, whether natural or man-made, which greatly contributes to the character or image of a defined neighborhood or community area, including, but not limited to:

• Explain a feature that caused a specific pattern of development such as the effect the Trinity River has on river front property or the effect the Interstate Highway has on the splitting of one historical neighborhood into many neighborhoods;
  • Defines a relationship between features, sites, or structures such as the orientation of structures around community park or the location of a school within a neighborhood; or
  • Expresses an aesthetic or historic sense of a period of time such as a carriage house or a hand drawn well.
10. Is designated as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark or State Archeological Landmark, or is included on the National Register of Historic Places.

From what I can tell, and others would probably agree with me, the building meets 7 of the 10 criteria. That would qualify it as Highly Significant Endangered.

#93 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

Here is another misconception that came out in the discussions on this project. Historic Fort Worth can designate buildings as historic landmarks. This is not true. Only the Property Owner, the City Manager, the Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission, or the City Council can initiate a designation, but even then, several regulatory bodies must hear the case before it is actually designated. Here's a quote from the City's Web Site regarding who can initiate a designation.

Initiation of Nomination

• An application may be submitted by the owner of a property, their duly authorized agent, or by the City Manager.
  • In lieu of an application, the Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission or the City Council may adopt a resolution calling for the Historic Preservation Officer to submit a nomination to the Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission for consideration. Where the Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission adopts a resolution, the nomination may not be considered until the next regularly scheduled meeting.
  • Nominations prepared and submitted by an authorized agent shall contain the signatures of the owner or owners unless created by resolution of the City Council or the Historical and Cultural Landmarks Commission.

As you can see, Historic Fort Worth is not included. Therefore, they cannot designate a property.

#94 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:13 AM

I'm sure I'll be deemed politically incorrect on this forum, but I agree with Bud Kennedy - step up to the plate with your checkbook if you're so inclined to trample on other's property rights. The Ridglea has been an unkempt eyesore for years and years and years. Why now the outcry? I'm offering a hearty thanks to Bank of America for a creative way to reuse the facade of a crappy old theater. And those murals - meh... Maybe the inside of a funky new diner.

Bud Kennedy on the Ridglea

#95 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:39 AM

No, you won't be deemed politically incorrect. This forum was created for discussion and it's actually nice to hear the opposite viewpoint. The unfortunate thing is that most of us who care about saving any historic building don't have the funds, nor the ability to get a loan, for enough money to invest in purchasing a property like the Ridglea Theater. Yes, I have friends, acquaintances, and clients who might have the money, but if I was to mention purchasing the Ridglea five years ago to them, they would have laughed at me.

You might say that this is still just talk, but that is why Historic Fort Worth has a Most Endangered List. This list is to raise public awareness about our most endangered properties. The program has been met with a limited amount of success. A handful of the properties on the list were later purchased and restored. Of all of the things we have done, this has probably been the most successful, but if you look at the number of buildings put on the list vs. the number restored, the results have been minimal.

Why the outcry? It's because this is the last ditch effort to sway any kind of opinion. It is usually unsuccessful. When you look at our mission, which is to educate the public about the value of historic properties, then you can see that we really should participate in these last ditch efforts.

I would like to hear more from the forum on the preservation issue. I think somewhere back in the archives, we have a thread to discuss the philosophies of preservation and the infringement on property rights. Maybe this old thread should be dug up and the subject discussed more.

#96 Lori P

Lori P

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

John - I'm wanting to hear the exact details of what happened last year in the effort to get it designated H&C. Some posts have said Historic FW, Inc had Ridglea Theater and Ridglea Village #2 on endangered list for last 5 years but couldn't get City Council to move on an H&C designation. Please clarify. Thanks!

#97 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:52 PM

Lori, a lot has happened in the last year and a half regarding the efforts to get the Ridglea Theater designated a Historic and Cultural Landmark (HC). First of all, I have served on the Board of Directors of Historic Fort Worth, Inc. since 2004. The Public Affairs Committee of HFW, of which I am also a member, had put the Ridglea Theater on the Most Endangered List for the last 5 years. That list is to raise public awareness of buildings that are threatened by development pressures, economic pressures, or demolition by neglect. As I mentioned earlier, Historic Fort Worth does not have the power to designate a building, nor does it have the power to initiate a designation.

In my earlier post, I did detail who has the power to initiate a designation, and you noticed that there is no method for the public to be involved in that process. Approximately 8 years ago, Joel Burns was Chair of the Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission (HCLC). Since Landmarks has the power to initiate the process and the public had no venue for initiating a designation, Joel set up a committee of citizens with 1 or 2 Landmarks Commissioners as members to recommend to the Landmarks Commision structures for potential designation. The official name of the committee is the Designation Advisory Committee of the Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission. Unfortunately, the committee did not function very well and for several years, even with changes in appointees, the committee never recommended a building for designation. I was appointed to the commitee by Joel Burns in 2007. I became Chair of this committee in 2009. Kevin Buchanan was appointed to the committee at the same time. To make a long story short, the committee began to function properly and has actually achieved some designations for buildings we recommended to the Landmarks Commission.

Because of the financial problems that the Maulsby Family Trust was going through in 2008 and 2009, the committee did set its sights on recommending a designation of HC to the Landmarks Commission. In order for us to send our recommendations to HCLC, we had to notify the property owner that we were going to forward our recommendation to the commission. During that time, the committee was not able to get in touch with the Maulsby Family Trust. Then, they seemed to bounce back a little bit in their economic situation. After Fix Funding took over the property, the Designation Committee set their sights on designation for both the Ridglea Theater and the adjoining Ridglea Village No. 2. It was difficult to contact Fix Funding, but the committee decided to send it to Landmarks once they were contacted. I believe that was at our October 2009 meeting. Then in November, we learned that Councilman Zimmerman was going to put the theater up as a Council Intitiated Designation Resolution. It was on the November 17th agenda. On that day, he continued the resolution to the December 15, 2009 meeting. That motion to continue passed 9-0. At the December 15, 2009 meeting, City Manager Dale Fissler requested that the resolution be withdrawn from consideration and be continued to the January 26, 2010 meeting. According to fortworthology.com, the resolution never appeared again on the City Council agenda.

For more details, go to Fortworthology.com. You can find this information in the Historic Preservation section.

If you are wondering what the Designation Committee is doing at the moment, we have been hit by the budget cuts and our last meeting was on the first Monday in April. We are currently not meeting, but there are plans in the works for a future meeting at an unknown date and time.

Lori, I hope this lengthy explanation answers all of your questions. If not please pose more, and if any of the rest of you need more information, please post.

#98 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hot day, blue skies. This is from Saturday, August 21, 2010:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#99 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Historic buildings and landscapes, local history, current events, coffee, hard liquor, and arguing!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

Is it my imagination, or was the current Camp Bowie District, Inc. (http://www.campbowiedistrict.com) previously known as Historic Camp Bowie, Inc.?
WWSPFD?*

History is but the record of the public and official acts of human beings. It is our object, therefore, to humanize our history and deal with people past and present; people who ate and possibly drank; people who were born, flourished and died; not grave tragedians, posing perpetually for their photographs. ~Bill Nye, History of the United States

For me there is no greater subject than history. How a man can study it and not be forced to become a philosopher, I cannot tell. ~George E. Wilson

*What Would Susan Pringle Frost Do?

#100 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Historic buildings and landscapes, local history, current events, coffee, hard liquor, and arguing!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:12 PM

I think it's time to protest. Publicly. Raise heck.

I will forever rue the day I didn't lay down in front of the bulldozer that destroyed the 7th Street Theater. I was first on the scene. I called 911. I almost got in a fist-fight with the bulldozer operator. I watched the bulldozer operator thumb his nose at the Asst. City Manager. I watched the SOB gleefully push-over the rear of building. Then, when the lawyers told him to stop, the bulldozer dude tried to steal the front doors.

It was, essentially, an illegal teardown. If we could've stopped him that day, the theater might have been saved (that's a big MIGHT, but at least we would've tried!)

LET'S DO IT! WHO'S WITH ME!?! (I feel like Bluto in "Animal House!")

What are some creative signs?

BANK OF AMERICA = DESTROYING HISTORIC AMERICA

BANK OF AMERICA--WHO ARE THEY really WORKING FOR?

WE GIVE THEM A BAIL-OUT & THEY GIVE US A TEAR-DOWN

WHAT? ANOTHER BRANCH BANK? WHERE'D THEY GET THE $$$ TO BUILD IT???

WE'RE YOUR "LOCAL" BANK--WE'RE HERE TO HELP?

Even if we don't save the theater it'll be a good cartharsis. Besides, when's the last time anything got saved in this town when the Big People decided "no."

I think it's time. The Germans are attacking Pearl Harbor. We have nothing to lose but our chains.
WWSPFD?*

History is but the record of the public and official acts of human beings. It is our object, therefore, to humanize our history and deal with people past and present; people who ate and possibly drank; people who were born, flourished and died; not grave tragedians, posing perpetually for their photographs. ~Bill Nye, History of the United States

For me there is no greater subject than history. How a man can study it and not be forced to become a philosopher, I cannot tell. ~George E. Wilson

*What Would Susan Pringle Frost Do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users