#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,756 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 13 February 2005 - 08:17 PM

I went out to my favorite hilltop today and took pictures of the skylines of Fort Worth and Dallas. Fort Worth, on the right is about 14 miles away. Dallas, on the left is about 45 miles away. It was clear enough to see some of the detail in the Dallas buildings.

Zoom in with the skylines framing the edges of the photograph:
Posted Image

Dallas zoomed in. You can see Cityplace on the far left and the ball of Reunion Tower peeking above the hill on the right. For the first time that I have taken this shot, it is clear enough to identify the buildings.
Posted Image

Fort Worth zoomed in. Coming out of downtown on the left, you can see the Main Street Bridge. Before I returned home, I drove over the bridge to see if I could see where I was earlier, and indeed you could see some of the landmarks on top of the hill.
Posted Image

#2 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:57 AM

That's very cool John!
On a very clear day you can see the Dallas skyline in pretty decent detail from the Petro Club..

(also the red tower @ 6 flags offers an interesting view of both skylines.... but that means you have to go to arlington) :]

#3 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:59 PM

Cool shot John! It looks like you shot it from the West a few miles away from the GD/Lockheed-Martin plant. This is really a great vantage point to see both skylines like that. More! More!

Bill

#4 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • Location:Stop Six/Echo Heights/Eastwood/Forest Hill/Meadowbrook/Fossill Creek

Posted 14 February 2005 - 03:30 PM

One the cool things that I liked after moving from Meadowbrook to the 35W+287 area is that I can clearly see downtown.

#5 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 04:19 PM

Cool shot John!  It looks like you shot it from the West a few miles away from the GD/Lockheed-Martin plant.  This is really a great vantage point to see both skylines like that.  More!  More!

Bill

View Post

Really? I would have thought more north than LMCO... in fact, I would have guessed since downtown is tilted at an angle, if you look at it from due north, you'd still see City Center on the left, Burnett Plaza on the right... so my guess was that John's favorite hill would be somewhere closer to, say, that park on the river near Northside/Angle/Long avenue?

lob

#6 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:03 PM

It's gotta be farther than that. John said 14 miles from downtown.

#7 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:29 PM

The first time John posted a shot from his hill, I was thinking it was northwest - say around Marine Creek Lake.

Looking at the zoomed shot of FW, now I'm thinking more west than north. The three clues I'm basing this on are:

1) Burnett Plaza: I believe the elevator-shaft side is pretty much due west. In this shot, you can see a wee bit of the north face and the north-facing wall in the elevator-shaft cut-out.

2) C+B and the Tower: C+B is left of the Tower but there's no gap between them. Due west from the Carter, C+B would be on the right. Too far north and there'd be a gap. Also, the center of the screen on top of C+B appears to be a bit right of the center of the building (in the zoomed shot), which I believe would mean that the picture is taken a bit to the right of the centerline of the prism-shaped top of C+B, which would be a fairly shallow NW angle.

3) In the foreground (relative to DTFW), there is what looks like a really, really, really long building with what appear to be hangar-like doors on it's north side. I can think of only one building like that inside the loop.

I agree with Bill on this one.

I know of an 800'+ MSL hill that I'm going to investigate some day.

#8 Schneider

Schneider

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:42 PM

It looks to me like the picture was taken from the Lake Worth area. But I have no idea where that hill would be.

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:22 PM

Since all of you are trying to guess my location, Bill is the closest one. I also did some additiona map work and I found that the direction to the Dallas skyline is almost due east. Yes, I am west and slightly north of downtown Fort Worth. I am also west of Lockheed Martin. However, that building is nearly one mile long, so being west of there still covers a lot of area. If you look carefully, I'm very close to being in line with the north end of the building.

#10 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:50 AM

nonetheless, a pretty sweet camera for catching that kind of detail of downtown that far away :]

#11 bronson2112

bronson2112

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:56 AM

Greetings!
First time poster here...
Iíve been lurking for a few months now enjoying all of the great photographs (and discussions) of Fort Worth. I was born and raised in Fort Worth (37 years Ė except for a year or so in Austin).
Johnís fantastic photos of the Fort Worth and Dallas skylines brought back a lot of memories for me. I grew up very near the spot where John took these photos. In the foreground of the close-up shot of Fort Worth you can actually see the neighborhood where I grew up (my parents built their house at that location in 1973 and still live there today). I know exactly where Johnís hilltop is that he took the photos from Ė I wonít give it away, but itís further West than you might think.
As a young man back in the late 70ís early 80ís I used my fatherís Canon AE-1 to take similar shots from many of the hilltops in the area. There are many hills in the area that afford nearly the same view as Johnís photos. If I recall correctly, most of my photographs were night shots Ė probably lightning and/or fireworks. (I loved taking long exposure photos of both) I probably still have them somewhere. Iím sure the quality of the shots is a bit lacking - but if I can find any I will certainly post them.
Anytime I'm in that area I can't resist checking out the view from the hilltop. On a clear day it's amazing just how far you can see.
I havenít done much photography since my 2 years worth of photography classes in high school, but seeing the fantastic photos on this forum has definitely sparked my interest in starting up again.

Chad

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:00 AM

Welcome to the forum, Chad. If you can dig out your old photos, please post them. I would like to see a night shot from that location. Who knows, maybe one clear evening before long, I may go out there to shoot.

#13 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 03:39 PM

John -- I do indeed respect the sanctity of your secret location, and since you haven't quite given its local away, I was wondering if you would endorse a fun little contest to see who on the board can actually find the exact spot based on the pictures you took -- winner has to post their own pic from the same location .. and will win, um.... three scoops of peanuts from Billy Miner's!

#14 adam76110

adam76110

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 05:29 PM

[FONT=Times]John is your spot off White Settlement Rd. Near Tarrent and Parker County Line

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:28 PM

Adam, you are correct. However, an even more specific location can be discovered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users