• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:48 PM

A little over half finished; first game scheduled 2009.

Bruce Burton

#2 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:28 PM

Tarrant County is SO GONNA RAWWK!
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#3 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:44 AM

Nice pics.Cant wait.GO COWBOYS!!!!!!
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#4 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:59 AM

Incredible pictures. (Subject and Style/Quality)
www.fortworthview.com

#5 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:48 AM

A few shots of the new Cowboy stadium from yesterday. Yes it it true that professional sports are ruining our Country (Why should I study Algebra when I am going to make a billion dollars playing with a stupid ball?) but the impact of the stadium is huge. Not saying in a positive way, just huge. I am amazed by little businesses etc... on Collins that are now in the shadows of this big pig. For any (Net) tax dollars it brings to Tarrant County I will be thankful.

And after you look at these few shots scroll back up and look again at bburton's shots. They are truly amazing.

www.fortworthview.com

#6 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

Good to see this thread revived. Here's an up-to-date, unobstructed-view of Cowboys Stadium. This is a faux-color infrared photograph, thus the "green grass" and gold foliage. smile.gif

Bruce Burton

#7 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Location:Stop Six/Echo Heights/Eastwood/Forest Hill/Meadowbrook/Fossill Creek

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

Net tax dollars to Tarrant County? It will be a net drain and Arlington won't get very much publicity from it.

"The 2010 All-Star game is in suburban Dallas..." "2011 Super Bowl in Dallas."

For 400 million they could have built an arena for UTA, revived the UTA football team, started a transit system, an created a small business incubator to grow businesses from the research done at UTA.

#8 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:23 PM

Great pics!! I've actually been working in Arlington the past two weeks, and I find the new stadium most unattractive, especially when compared with other stadiums built around the country in the past several years. It reminds me of those UFO's in Independence Day. I also agree with alot of what CJ says. Plus the DMN had a really good article about all of the once proposed development around the stadium that's NOT happening and WON'T be there in 2011.

That last photo, Bburton, is spectacular!!

#9 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts
  • Interests:Writing, music, photography, games, sci-fi.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:26 PM

Still think it's a disaster, and not just in a monetary sense - that thing is hideous. IMHO, of course.

- Architecture/urban planning/transit blogger, Fort Worth Weekly

Fort Worth District 9 Zoning Commissioner

#10 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

My thought is that the decisions were made on the appearance of the models, from above. Looking up from below it looks a lot worse.

#11 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

Certainly most all your comments are personal and judgemental.

From a technical aspect... just what in your mind makes this structure "Still think it's a disaster" "Hideous" and "looking up ... alot worse". Disaster? Alot worse?

Can you be a bit more specific and less judgemental ? From a design standpoint? Architectural standpoint? Functional standpoint?

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

I'm not even remotely impressed with the final product as I was when I saw the design. The main issue I have is the setting. It looks like a flying saucer on the prairie, just like Texas Stadium. And the thing I hate most is that they're surrounding it with vast seas of concrete, leaving little chance for any kind of development to happen within a reasonable walking distance at any point in the future. As for the intent of the exterior design, I think Jones kept it true to the look of Texas Stadium to keep a connection with the loyal fanbase. All that being said, I can't wait to attend an event there. The interior looks top notch and I think the massive jumbo tron is going to be a very unique experience.

#13 FoUTASportscaster

FoUTASportscaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:02 AM

I would like to join the anti-stadium bandwagon too. To respond to JBB, even if there weren't vast seas of concrete surrounding the stadium, there still wouldn't be any development. Stadiums do not increase economic activity in any way. Let's be very generous and say this facility will host an event 100 days out of the year (50 may be a stretch). People may go to the area an hour before and an hour after the game. That's 2 hours of "extra" business 100 days of the year. Now, realizing that stadiums are vast structures, when there isn't an event, there area is dead. So for 265 days a year, there is little demand. No sane businessperson will set a business model on this scenario. Look at the Ballpark. It actually has decent urban design principles, mainly no setback from the sidewalk and an interesting streetscape for the pedestrian. No development. In fact, from the latest numbers I have seen, Arlington's tax revenue when the stadium opened in 1994 was more than it was ten years later in 2004, helping to prove the point that stadiums do not develop the local economy. The sad fact for Arlington is that the Ballpark didn't displace very many property owners, at least compare to the new stadium, which displaced entire neighborhoods. Arlington's budget will be in a world of hurt.

But, this has to have the sea of concrete around it. It is in a city with no transportation options and is a facility that can seat 100,000 people. Some may have voted thinking this would be an Arlington facility, but the reality is the vast majority of people going to the games will be coming from somewhere else, and the only way to get there is by driving, which means they need lots of land to park their cars when they get there.

On the plus side, Dallas and Fort Worth will be bigger beneficiaries than Arlington, since those cities ponied up no money and will see slight increases in economic activity, while Arlington will see less than the other two and paid $325 million of their own money. The economic "study" the Cowboys paid for to help support their arguement used a regional approach and was very generous in applying the multiplier effect from this facility. There are mryiad other ways that this stadium won't generate any economic, and I can go into some of them, if anyone is interested.

#14 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:10 AM

^^^^
But on the plus side, after visiting the billion dollar stadium, you can shop at the Wal-Mart across the street.

#15 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:10 AM

After reading FoUTAsportscaster's commentary on the business angle of locating around a major stadium I am prone to agree. It might be instructive to examine other NFL venues to see if any of their designers and developers have been successful in integrating an urbanesque mixed-use district into the realized development. Promising this to the host city is probably easier than delivering it, especially with a fluctuating or downturning economy. I am not surprised that the peripheral development plans that seemed to be sort of paper-clipped to the stadium proposal were lost rather quickly when things started looking south. Some other observations/opinions:

Transportation into/out of the stadium on game day is going to be a nightmare, not just for sports fans but for the people who live around there and the businesses whose access will be gridlocked for hours. Luckily it will be mainly on Sundays and Monday nights. Given how the building is sited there will likely be minimal pedestrian activity except to and from the parking. The principal north/south access to the area is SH 360, one of the three most clogged and poorly conceived expressways in the area, it backs up for miles on a good day. The new I-30 bridges are impressive but most likely grossly inadequate for funneling a gargantuan surge of traffic onto already busy expressways. Is there going to be a flyover interchange at I-30 and SH 360 before the stadium opens? Before the Super Bowl? Within 10 years? Not having mass transit available for a facility such as this should have simply never been allowed.

The sea of parking is impressive, in a sinister sort of way. I hope that much of the event parking around the outer perimeter is going to be on permaeble surface, like compressed gravel over sand base with grass allowed to grow. Joe Robbie Stadium (or whatever it was renamed most recently) in North Miami used this technique to absorb some of the rain runoff that could have put entire neighborhoods there underwater, given their relatively high annual rainfall. Arlington doesn't have those rainfall numbers, but the stadium practically straddles Johnson Creek, which has a very predictable incidence of flooding; everytime it rains more than an inch in 4 hours. Arlington is carrying on a long and proud tradition of poor integrated urban planning by allowing this sea, no, desert of paved parking, since the creek flooding is due in large part to unregulated development upstream in the watershed. Six Flags can probably expect to have more "flood days" than in the past due to this new paving.

I suggested on this forum at one time that parking requirements for the new stadium could have been lessened by building a local transit system to connect the major parking use areas of the area together, since several of these large-ish establishments operate in opposing seasons of the year (ie Cowboys play when Six Flags and Rangers closed for the most part) and lots could have be shared between them, eliminating some of the runoff and what will probably be a major heat island effect in the summer. Less need for ground parking could allow Six Flags some future expansion roon, perhaps to let them move roller coasters and other attractions out from over the flood-prone creek.

As to the design of the building itself: it IS a monumental structure, no doubt. It was obviously meant to overwhelm and awe, and it will probably accomplish that end quite easily. The building is not people-scaled, but it is a football stadium and isn't meant to. Ranger Field is much more comfy and warm than the Cowboy Bowl will ever be, but this seems to fit the nature of the two games, IMO. I don't see any design features I strenuously object to from an aesthetic standpoint, accepting that it is a stadium. It does look like a stadium, and for all the glitter and glass it is going to be quite utilitarian; a decent fit for its purpose. I don't see a need for massive signs identifying it as Cowboys Stadium; it says that itself without words and from a great distance. I think that is probably what the megalomaniac owner of the place wanted.

#16 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:15 AM

I love all the hate here.
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#17 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:17 AM

I realize that the parking is needed, but putting at least half of it in garages would have been a massive improvement.

#18 FoUTASportscaster

FoUTASportscaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

^But then Jerry wouldn't get 360 degrees of unobstructed views of his monument to his greatness.

#19 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (texastrill @ Feb 25 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love all the hate here.

YIKES! I hope "Texastrill" isn't an alias for Jery Jones! (Just kidding... rolleyes.gif )

Love and Peace

#20 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

Great photos!!! It's so cool to see a sports stadium under construction....have never seen this kinda construction before! Very awesome and mind boggling! Just think of the construction documents for this!! Wow!

Hopefully I'll be able to see at least one game there at some point! I love the Cowboys and have never been to a professional football game before. Fingers crossed!

Keep the pics comin'!

smile.gif mary bess

#21 FoUTASportscaster

FoUTASportscaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:47 PM

Don't count on going, unless you have something just shy of a grand, or work for a major corporation.

#22 LoneStarMike

LoneStarMike

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

March 5, 2009 photo from Amtrak's Texas Eagle

#23 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

My wife and I attended an event at UTA this past Saturday and drove North on Collins on the way back and it had been some time since I had been on Collins.
Looks very strange to see all the shops, etc on the east side of Collins gone. The stadium is huge and looks like some type of space ship.
Mike

#24 Stormrunner77

Stormrunner77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Historic Buildings, Computers, Autos, Sports, Music

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

This aren't exactly new at this point but here are a couple pics I took of the ARL-UFO at the beginning of April from The Ballpark. One is from the sidewalk walking up to the Ballpark, two from the upper concourse on the first base side, and then the last is from my seats for opening day (boy was it cold up there, but still a beautiful day and a Rangers win!) laugh.gif

#25 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

Question - is the Cowboys new playground - from a design stand point ->>> tornado proof ?
Did the architect put the model in a wind tunnel ? did the designed shape of the structure survive?

Is the stadium structure insured for full replacement costs?

Are we having fun yet ?

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#26 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (360texas @ Aug 4 2009, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question - is the Cowboys new playground - from a design stand point ->>> tornado proof ?
Did the architect put the model in a wind tunnel ? did the designed shape of the structure survive?

Is the stadium structure insured for full replacement costs?

Are we having fun yet ?

You can see it from a few hills in Grapevine, looks like a space ship that made an emergency landing.

Looks like it would fly!

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#27 BobZupcic

BobZupcic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (360texas @ Aug 4 2009, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, yes and yes. There is a show called Build it Bigger (one of those science networks) where they do an hour long look at the new stadium. It is unbelievable the amount of testing and precautions taken. The entire roof is seemless. They learned a lot of lessons from Reliant Stadium when portions of that roof blew off a year or two ago during a hurricane. Of course, time will tell how much they learned.

#28 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (Stormrunner77 @ Aug 4 2009, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and then the last is from my seats for opening day (boy was it cold up there, but still a beautiful day and a Rangers win!) laugh.gif

Yes indeed! I showed up for tailgating at 9:00am wearing long johns underneath jeans with a turtle neck and a heavy hooded sweatshirt. However, with the third base side being blocked from the north wind, the afternoon sun made it warm up in a hurry. I had an awful sunburn at the end of the day even with sunscreen on.

#29 walton91

walton91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

I heard an interview on the radio with a Rangers player a couple months back and he was asked about his vantage point of seeing the Cowboys Stadium under construction everyday. He said "Oh, you mean the Death Star?" Given the size of the thing and how much Jerry Jones looks like the Emperor I thought it was a perfect nickname.

#30 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

Danger Will Robinson, danger!

#31 NThomas

NThomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (walton91 @ Aug 5 2009, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard an interview on the radio with a Rangers player a couple months back and he was asked about his vantage point of seeing the Cowboys Stadium under construction everyday. He said "Oh, you mean the Death Star?" Given the size of the thing and how much Jerry Jones looks like the Emperor I thought it was a perfect nickname.

Does that make Tony Romo, Luke Skywalker? Too bad Bill Parcells isn't still around... Then we'd have a Darth Vader.

#32 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Feb 24 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still think it's a disaster, and not just in a monetary sense - that thing is hideous. IMHO, of course.

I also think it looks pretty bad. But it is at least not as hideous as the old one in Irving which to me looked as if it was made with leftover TxDot bridge supports. Personally, I think it would have been cool to have a streamline art-deco inspired domed stadium
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#33 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,751 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

In June, I had a chance to tour the stadium with the AIA. It is incredibly out of scale with everything around it and it literally looms over that part of Arlington. I agree with Dismuke, it is not as bad as Texas Stadium. On the inside it is very nice, but I will probably never attend an event there, as architects are not paid well enough for such luxuries. The facility is very impressive and I had a chance to walk all over the stadium, even out on the field.

#34 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Aug 7 2009, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but I will probably never attend an event there, as architects are not paid well enough for such luxuries.

Texas Tech vs. Baylor tickets are relatively affordable--Guns up!

#35 Stormrunner77

Stormrunner77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Historic Buildings, Computers, Autos, Sports, Music

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (txsloth @ Aug 7 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Aug 7 2009, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but I will probably never attend an event there, as architects are not paid well enough for such luxuries.

Texas Tech vs. Baylor tickets are relatively affordable--Guns up!

I concur that... three levels $40 $60 $100... you know that tickets will be well over that when Jerry Bowl (Arkansas v. A&M) <$85-300> is played. The Oklahoma v. BYU game is listed on Ticketmaster for $50 - 150. The Tech/Baylor tickets went on sale this Monday, I'm looking at getting a pair of the $60 level seats. rotflmao.gif

#36 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

How she looks today - in infrared b&w. smile.gif

Bruce Burton

#37 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:17 AM

I took this shot on the way to New York this week. This is not really worth to be next to Bruce Burton's masterpieces but I am going to sling it up anyway.
Of course this is through not just bad haze but a couple of windows. Am always a bit surprised you can get on a plane with a big lens in your hands. (this was my 70-200 2.8L IS)
But I guess it was X-ray'd at security when I walked through.

www.fortworthview.com

#38 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

Ah the brown zone in the lower right was due to the x-ray of the camera ?... or maybe just your fuzzy finger or edge of window.

Good photo considering the aircraft vibration conditions

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users