#1 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 01 April 2006 - 05:08 PM

Yes, these are probably the last pics that I take with my current Canon Point&Shoot camera. It lasted me a good couple of years, but I'm not complaining, because turning it back in to Best Buy will get me $200 or so closer to a DSLR. I took these pics about 2 weeks ago (obviously pre-implosion), so go ahead and celebrate the end of a good (electronic) life with me. biggrin.gif

Just click on the thumbnail to see the full sized pic.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image

The end!

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:22 PM

Great pics! I especially like the pic of BP from the north (second to last row of thumbnails, second from the right). That's a seldom photographed angle that really makes the building look a lot different.

#3 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:56 PM

Seldom photographed angle?

You mean like here.

IPB Image

or here,

IPB Image

or this,

IPB Image

Great pic's Johnny.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#4 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts
  • Interests:Writing, music, photography, games, sci-fi.

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Apr 1 2006, 09:56 PM) View Post

Seldom photographed angle?

I think by "BP," he meant "Burnett Plaza," not "Bass Performance Hall." smile.gif

- Architecture/urban planning/transit blogger, Fort Worth Weekly

Fort Worth District 9 Zoning Commissioner

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:14 PM

Yes, that's what I meant. I didn't realize there was also a Bass Hall pic in the same row, so I edited my post to make it a little more clear.

#6 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:27 PM

Oh.

All that work for nothin.
www.iheartfw.com

#7 bburton

bburton
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:10 PM

Nice selection of FW photos for sure. I particularly like the close up of Charles Tandy; I need to get me one of those pics.

You know some of the better photos (at least the ones I've liked) that I've taken of Fort Worth Architecture were with a Nikon CP4300 P&S that I just parted with a few months back. I've been using a Canon 300D for a year now, and my learning curve has improved and the "keeper" ratio has gone up -- but dang, that Nikon was sure good.

What kind of new camera are you considering?

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:54 AM

Jonny, you are one of the forum's great photographers. I really enjoyed the pictures.

#9 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE(bburton @ Apr 2 2006, 12:10 AM) View Post

Most likely a Canon Digital Rebel XT, it seems to be the best deal for the money in the DSLR world, and so far I've been very impressed with Canons. If you have any suggestions about DSLRs, I'd be happy to hear them!

Thanks for the compliments. I'd appreciate any constructive criticism anyone has to offer, also. biggrin.gif

#10 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:14 PM

If you have any suggestions about DSLRs, I'd be happy to hear them!

Hmm.

I say the bigger, the better.

Always good to have plenty to work with. Lots of features for your fingers to play with too. Sometimes you may have to go plenty wide, just enough to get that BIG shot off. And if it's something you will most likely brag to your friends about, it's worth the money. TRUST me.

Remember, you may have to unload plenty to get used to it, so it's gotta feel right and take plenty of shots for you. More it's used the more you will feel like a seasoned pro. You never know, it may end up in the paper one day, or all over the internet. So take your time and go about it the right way. Because, unlike the last one you messed around with, wants you own it YOU OWN IT! So you might as well go BIG and let it last you. Maybe even outlast you, so you can swap it or even share it with someone you know who will appreciate it as much as you do, and more than just some friendly gift.

Some even have the bulb that pops out when you need it. Pretty cool stuff these days.
www.iheartfw.com

#11 bburton

bburton
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Apr 2 2006, 03:00 PM) View Post

QUOTE(bburton @ Apr 2 2006, 12:10 AM) View Post

Most likely a Canon Digital Rebel XT, it seems to be the best deal for the money in the DSLR world, and so far I've been very impressed with Canons. If you have any suggestions about DSLRs, I'd be happy to hear them!

As you probably know, there are many good DSLR cameras to choose from; and even more plentiful are the opinions about which one is best. biggrin.gif I know that whatever decision is made, a year later there's another similar decision to be made.

And, once you're on the DSLR track, then lens purchases become critical (and numerous) because their useful economic life span is much longer than the camera body. So, whatever road you go down (Canon, Nikon, etc.) you become committed to that brand because of the lens purchases you've made. Fortunately, IMO, there's not significant difference in the major brands of DSLR's.

From what I've observed, the Canon XT (350D) is a very good camera and well-liked by amateurs and professionals: it compares quite favorably with its big brother the Canon 20D. And there are many good consumer (non-professional) Canon lenses which will work nicely with the 350D body. The Canon EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM lens, although a bit pricey, is a good, all-purpose walk-around lens to consider initially. I'm considering that very combination myself, although I've been very pleased with the older 28-135 IS lens on the 300D.

Good luck.

#12 roundout

roundout

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Apr 2 2006, 02:00 PM) View Post

D70. i picked up a slightly used D70 with all accessories for $550 a few months ago. the only differences between the D70 and brand new from-the-store D70s are cosmetic. i was considering the same canon model you are, but i have a nikon film body and already own some nikon glass. the particular D70 in question was also such a good deal i probably would've bought it anyway.

#13 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:21 AM

We to used to be a Nikon fan. We still have one of the original Nikinos underwater cameras. Used our Nikorrmat F2 for a long time with various lenses.

Went digital along time ago for convenience. Had a Casio swivel head for several years. Upgraded to Nikon 950, then to the 990. These models always seemed to have issues with the white balance. They produced an image with a slight blue cast. This probably was a user correctable oversight. We talked with Nikon D70 folks for a year about the apparant continued 'Nikon Blue' [read white balance] issue. Then we jumped ship and went over to Canon. We now use the Canon 20d and Canon XT Rebel (Europeans call it the 350d). I will be the first to agree that "Lens Glass" is a big con$ideration if you are brand committed. Some glass cost about 1/2 or more as much as the camera.

So far we have satisfied our photographic needs with the following:

Canon 20d and Canon 350d (XT Rebel) both about 8 megapixel cameras. Both use CMOS sensors. CCD sensors maintain a minor static charge after being turned off.. and can be sensor dust partical attractors which is a built in maintenance issue. Canon's color rendering chip [DIGIC II image processor] is a great feature. We set the cameras to use RGB instead of sRGB which provides better [my opinion] color rendering.

If you are going to spend $400 to $1,000 on a lens you might consider looking at the lens specifications. When choosing expensive len$es you might do a quick google search for Modulation Transfer Function Charts (lens MTF ratings). Canon has their MTF Lens charts on their website. Nikon did not last time I looked. I won't get too technical here because the first time around I found the subject a bit overwhelming. The short answer here the chart shows the lens test for its ability to transmit light through the lens optics. The lab measurements are for 'Contrast' and 'Sharpness'. The higher the rating the higher quality of image. Lenses that rate from .8 to 1 are "Excellent" and .6 to .8 are "Average".... regardless the manufacturer selling price.

For example the Canon 28 - 135 f/2.5-5.6 IS USM (Canon 20d [1.6] 35mm equal to 45mm to 216mm] zoom. If you scroll down to the bottom you will see 2 charts. The left side chart is for maximum view 28mm and the right side chart is for full zoom in at 135mm.

Vertical scale is 0 to 1 or ability to transmit all the incoming light all the way back to the film plane. The horizontal scale is 0 to +20 where 0 is the center of the lens and +20 is the edge of the lens glass.

Look for the solid blue and black line. The solid blue line is 'Contrast' or the lens ability to maintain high contrast. The solid black line is 'Sharpness'. Ignore the dotted lines. Sharpness is determined by the ability of see 10 or 30 lines per millimeter thickness on the film plane (sensor).

http://consumer.usa....49&modelid=7337

I realize that this is a simplified explanation. Before spending the big bucks for glass suggest reading a more in-depth expanation about MTF:

http://luminous-land...nding-mtf.shtml

Below is our medium priced lens collection:
Sigma 8mm EX 180 Fisheye f/4mm prime lens
Canon Wide Angle Zoom EFS 10-22mm f/3.5 to 4.5 USM
Canon Stock Lens EFS 18-55mm f/3.5 -5.6 II
Canon Zoom EF 28 - 135mm f/3.5 to 5.6 IS (image stabilizer) USM
Canon Zoom EF 70 - 300mm f/4 - 5.6 IS (image stabilizer) USM

At the end of the day... great imaging really depends on the person abilities behind the viewfinder.

Dave still at 360Texas.com

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#14 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:41 PM

Wow, lots of great info, thanks! If you're using a Canon 350d, then I can probably look forward to some great pics. Yours have great color! And as for now, I'm not worrying so much about lenses, I'll just use the package lens until I have some more money saved up to get another one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users