• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:13 PM

Just thought I would show you this... Its a bit old... the Radioshack Riverfront Campus and the ITC on 9th are not constructed yet. It was captured using Google Earth. Sort of looks like John Roberts CAD version

IPB Image

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#2 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:58 PM

I like it because it shows Nutt Lake.

#3 SouthSideAllan2000

SouthSideAllan2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:15 PM

I saw that this weekend while messing aroung with Google Earth, but didn't know what Nutt Lake is/was. Can someone explain?

#4 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:38 PM

My impression of it was that it was a copyright trap on Google Earth.

For fun, I just Googled it and found the following fascinationg description:

Nutt Lake, Tarrant County, Texas
Outdoors Recreation Information.

The beauty of Nutt Lake attracts many people from all around. A visit to Diamond Hill Park rejuvenates the soul. Trail Drivers Park is a great place. Burnett Park is a good place to check out. Everybody loves M G Ellis Park. Paddock Park is a beautiful place any time of year. Everybody loves Fort Worth Convention Center. A visit to Trinity Park rejuvenates the soul. More lakes? Sure, Echo Lake is right next door. Why not check out Nutt Dam while you're here. Haynes Park is a good place to check out.
A visit to Linwood Park rejuvenates the soul. Lake Como is another nearby lake that you could visit. There are other lakes here than Nutt Lake, for example Elliot Lake. A cool spot to check out is Inspiration Point. Greenway Park is a beautiful place any time of year. Places like Riverside Park are great to visit. Trader Oak Park is a good place to check out. Places like Arnold Park are great to visit. Don't leave Nutt Lake without first paying a visit to Cold Springs. Everybody loves Van Zandt Guinn Park.
Places like Harmon Field Park are great to visit. Fort Worth Water Gardens is a great place to stretch your legs a bit. Marine Park is a great place to stretch your legs a bit. Nutt Lake is right by the Tandy Hills Trail. Why not take a refreshing hike along the Gateway Park Trail. Cold Spring Park is a great place. LaGrave Field is a great place. Arneson Park is a beautiful place any time of year. Not far from Nutt Lake, you'll find Cement Creek Reservoir which is another beautiful lake.

Soo.... sounds like a great place to spend the day. Who's in? Anyone need their legs stretched a bit or their soul rejuvenated? David, can you bring the box of Boone's Farm?

#5 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:28 PM

We're not alone. Nutt Lake is also in Ontario: http://www.township..../Newsletter.htm
http://www.diamondin...ccomdations.asp

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:52 PM

I can't explain why but nothing looked "right" on the aerial photo until I contorted my neck and looked at it from a nearly upside-down perspective, and all of a sudden all of the depth of field jumped out at me. I guess the camera captured the image while looking from north to south, and the image was inverted to give the "normal" or map perspective. Did anyone else experience this?

Woooooooo, spooky

#7 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:54 AM

Yes. And I will probably have some nightmares now of falling from the sky. Onto DTFW. biggrin.gif During mid day.

Where is the Santa Fe Rail market building on this? Firestone Apts.?

Cool pic.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#8 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE(Prairie Pup @ Jan 11 2006, 10:52 PM) View Post
Did anyone else experience this?

The first thing I noticed was the Convention Center Arena... for a split second it looked more like a bowl than a dome. (I remember seeing a book on optical tricks or somesuch when I was a lad ... it had a rotated picture of the moon's surface and the craters looked like domes.)

One thing you can see is that most of the buildings on the west were shot from the west so they appear to tilt east, and many of the buildings on the east were shot from the east and they appear to tilt west. The picture is a composite of at least two passes ... one east of downtown and one west. These images are stitched together (with fancy-pants software) and the seam runs through downtown.

When NCTCOG's aerials were first mentioned on the board several years ago, one of us had pointed out how the buildings were leaning in different directions. Somewhere along Main or Houston, buildings on opposite sides of the street leaned into each other, as if they were comforting each other after a close call with a tornado. C-B appeared to lean in both directions as if it hadn't quite missed the tornado.

One of the members (Doug, I believe) explained the process of creating these images. He works on these for a living.

#9 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:53 AM

Ok.. I corrected that camera angle to view straight down. Also zoomed into the court house. If you zoom in much farther.. the image starts getting pixelated. And I think these images are the same ones that NCTCOG's uses. I think NCTCOG site updates theirs every 2 years.

IPB Image

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#10 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:01 PM

And then here is looking south at the convention center... on a 45 degree camera angle. Ok.. done enough for today.. gotta go back to work ?

Dave

IPB Image

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#11 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(gdvanc @ Jan 11 2006, 07:38 PM) View Post

My impression of it was that it was a copyright trap on Google Earth.

For fun, I just Googled it and found the following fascinationg description:

Nutt Lake, Tarrant County, Texas
Outdoors Recreation Information.

The beauty of Nutt Lake attracts many people from all around. A visit to Diamond Hill Park rejuvenates the soul. Trail Drivers Park is a great place. Burnett Park is a good place to check out. Everybody loves M G Ellis Park. Paddock Park is a beautiful place any time of year. Everybody loves Fort Worth Convention Center. A visit to Trinity Park rejuvenates the soul. More lakes? Sure, Echo Lake is right next door. Why not check out Nutt Dam while you're here. Haynes Park is a good place to check out.
A visit to Linwood Park rejuvenates the soul. Lake Como is another nearby lake that you could visit. There are other lakes here than Nutt Lake, for example Elliot Lake. A cool spot to check out is Inspiration Point. Greenway Park is a beautiful place any time of year. Places like Riverside Park are great to visit. Trader Oak Park is a good place to check out. Places like Arnold Park are great to visit. Don't leave Nutt Lake without first paying a visit to Cold Springs. Everybody loves Van Zandt Guinn Park.
Places like Harmon Field Park are great to visit. Fort Worth Water Gardens is a great place to stretch your legs a bit. Marine Park is a great place to stretch your legs a bit. Nutt Lake is right by the Tandy Hills Trail. Why not take a refreshing hike along the Gateway Park Trail. Cold Spring Park is a great place. LaGrave Field is a great place. Arneson Park is a beautiful place any time of year. Not far from Nutt Lake, you'll find Cement Creek Reservoir which is another beautiful lake.

Soo.... sounds like a great place to spend the day. Who's in? Anyone need their legs stretched a bit or their soul rejuvenated? David, can you bring the box of Boone's Farm?

Nutt Dam used to be directly beneath the Paddock Viaduct, and enclosed Nutt Lake, a resevoir dedicated as a emergency water supply for fire-fighting. An engineer named Nutt designed the system after the city water system failed during the 'Great Fire' in Fort Worth in 1919.
Downtown there were red fire hydrants for city water, yellow fire hydrants which drew untreated water directly from Nutt lake, and the bronze hydrants still seen on the sides of the oldest buildings, which drew water from deep artesian wells.
The Army Corps of Engineers removed the dam in the '50s/60s, to restore flow to the river.
Or so I'm told.

#12 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:47 PM

I'm glad it wasn't just me that thought the photo was odd lol

#13 SouthSideAllan2000

SouthSideAllan2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(hipolyte @ Jan 12 2006, 12:50 PM) View Post

Nutt Dam used to be directly beneath the Paddock Viaduct, and enclosed Nutt Lake, a resevoir dedicated as a emergency water supply for fire-fighting. An engineer named Nutt designed the system after the city water system failed during the 'Great Fire' in Fort Worth in 1919.
Downtown there were red fire hydrants for city water, yellow fire hydrants which drew untreated water directly from Nutt lake, and the bronze hydrants still seen on the sides of the oldest buildings, which drew water from deep artesian wells.
The Army Corps of Engineers removed the dam in the '50s/60s, to restore flow to the river.
Or so I'm told.

Thanks. I did find something about Nutt Dam so I figured it was some kind of resevoir.

#14 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:31 PM

city water system failed during the 'Great Fire' in Fort Worth in 1919.

Is it me or does every city in America have a "Great Fire" ? dry.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#15 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:20 PM

Oops, got my dates wrong. Fort Worth's 'great fire' was in 1909.

#16 roundout

roundout

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:42 PM

not quite from the same perspective as the google earth shots. circa january 2004. apologize for the poor picture quality - this was shot through a dirty window and enhanced with lousy software. lesson learned.

IPB Image

#17 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:26 PM

Nice roundout thanks for the Picture. I do enjoy looking at pics of DTFW.

#18 roundout

roundout

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Feb 21 2006, 01:26 PM) View Post

Nice roundout thanks for the Picture. I do enjoy looking at pics of DTFW.

thanks. i'm in the slow process of moving back to fort worth after a 6 year absence...long story. i'll see what i can do about adding to my collection of fort worth aerials soon after i move my D70 and my flight kit. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users