#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:10 AM

A couple of weeks ago, I got together with Ninjatune from the Dallasmetropolis.com Forum to shoot in downtown. Although hot, it was a great afternoon for photography. We mainly toured the eastern end of downtown where there are several one, two, and three story buildings surrounded by parking lots. This is a reminder of what Dallas once was.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We went to Ninja's new residence, the Kirby for a little while. This is the view from the rootop pool.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We then went out on the roof of the parking garage and caught these photos:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We left the Kirby walked around some and caught these shots of local art on the buildings:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Reflections of the Adolphus, the Magnolia, and the Davis:
Posted Image

Detail of the Adolphus:
Posted Image

Looking up at the Magnolia:
Posted Image

The little annex building that housed the payment offices for Dallas Power and Light.
Posted Image

Looking down St. Paul Street:
Posted Image

We found this little Art Deco gem on Park Avenue. This is actually a historic recording studio site.
Posted Image

Scottish Rite Cathedral
Posted Image

Lofts
Posted Image

Mural at a bed and breakfast on St. Paul:
Posted Image

Well, that's all of our tour. I really appreciate Ninjatune taking the time to show me some of the grittier sides of downtown Dallas. I would also appreciate any comments and picks of your favorite photos.

#2 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:39 AM

Love the building that wedges the street. what address is that? Wish we had one like that here.

What timeof the day was this? It looked like a ghost town? I didn't see a soul.

Tell Ninja, cool view!
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:14 PM

Safly, that building is 2120 Commerce Street. It used to be an old gas station and the pumps were under the arcade. In later years, it was the home of radio station KLIF. Now, I think the Dallas Observer has some of their offices on the second floor. You say you wish we had a building like that here. We do -- the Flatiron Building, only it's a little taller.

This was a Saturday afternoon. We ate at the new downtown grocery, Urban Market, and I liked the food. I had a salmon filet with a pasta salad and I took home a half chicken on special along with the remaining pasta salad. It was excellent food and they are gearing their pepared meals toward the Central Market crowd.

Ninjatune's rooftop pool really does have some excellent views. I will tell him that you like it. He is still in the process of moving in. Ninja is a great (starving) photographer and he will be contributing to http://www.dallasarchitecture.info because I don't get over there often enough for photo shoots. Hopefully, putting his work on my site will lead to some work for him.

#4 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:47 PM

I'll have to try out the Urban Market in Dallas. Does the TRE reach it?

I know about the Flatiron and it's similiarity, but do we have a building that actually wedges a street like that? Not just the shape and design. Would be cool to have one in DTFW, that actually wedges a street open like that.

Is the Dallas public library nearby there?

another topic: Any news on the SF Rail Market? Haven't heard much here.
www.iheartfw.com

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:34 PM

The TRE will get you into downtown Dallas. However, you have to walk about halfway across downtown from the train. Another option would be to take the light rail from Union Station to Thanksgiving Square, then walk south 4 blocks on Akard and east one block on Jackson. The third option would be to take the bus. The line runs down Commerce, so you would only have to walk a block or two to the market. The Dallas Public Library is across the street from the Urban Market.

We really don't have a building that is open beneath it in a wedge. It was an old gas station, so it is rather unique.

I haven't heard anything on the Rail Market.

#6 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:00 PM

My favorite has to be the art deco building I can just imagine that building in its prime.....just breathtaking... :mad:

#7 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:24 PM

Wonderful photos John! Evidence that Dallas hasn't gotten rid of as much history as some Fort Worth leaders would have us believe.

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:42 PM

My favorite has to be the art deco building I can just imagine that building in its prime.....just breathtaking... :mad:

View Post

Courtnie, I was suprised to find it also. When we came upon it, I wondered what kind of Art Deco gem was this still left standing. It actually has quite a bit of history, and I'm sure Dismuke is probably familiar with some of it. The building was built originally as the Warner Bros. Film Exchange in 1929. Believe it or not, its original use was for film storage. On the north side of the penthouse, you can read in very faint paint "Warner Bros. Pictures". Some small recording studios were originally constructed on the inside. Brunswick Records used the studio space. Delta blues artist Robert Johnson reportedly recorded 13 songs inside the studios here in 1937. Many say that these 13 recordings shaped the course of blues and rock 'n roll. Notable acts like Muddy Waters, Led Zeppelin, and the Rolling Stones say they were influenced by Johnson's music.

Wonderful photos John!  Evidence that Dallas hasn't gotten rid of as much history as some Fort Worth leaders would have us believe.

View Post

Thank you. The answer to that is both yes and no. In the core of downtown, there are very few historic buildings left. On the fringes, where most of these pictures were taken, you have a sea of surface parking interspersed with low rise historic buildings. In my opinion, considering the size of downtown Dallas and the number of buildings built before 1900 that are currently standing, the city has definitely demolished a lot of its history.

Edited by John T Roberts, 05 September 2005 - 08:20 PM.

#9 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:51 PM

regarding that building that looks like our flatiron building. i heard that FW was the only city in TX to have one. so would this be considered a "flatiron" even tho its no more than 2 stories?

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:47 PM

I think the name "Flatiron" had been given to the buildings. Although this building has the right shape, it was never known as "The Flatiron" building, so I guess the answer is no.

#11 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:51 AM

The TRE will get you into downtown Dallas.  However, you have to walk about halfway across downtown from the train.  Another option would be to take the light rail from Union Station to Thanksgiving Square, then walk south 4 blocks on Akard and east one block on Jackson.  The third option would be to take the bus.  The line runs down Commerce, so you would only have to walk a block or two to the market.  The Dallas Public Library is across the street from the Urban Market.

We really don't have a building that is open beneath it in a wedge.  It was an old gas station, so it is rather unique. 

I haven't heard anything on the Rail Market.

View Post

The image I was trying to express was more of a splitting of a road or tapering effect.
www.iheartfw.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users