#101 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Dec 3 2008, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks to me like they are putting new windows in this building this morning. Seems crazy, but looks like they leave the plywood in place even after new glass is in. Lots of work still going on there . Have a 60mm & 400mm pic from for your inspection.

Always enjoy the monee shots! smilewinkgrin.gif

#102 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (jefffwd @ Dec 3 2008, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (monee9696 @ Dec 3 2008, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks to me like they are putting new windows in this building this morning. Seems crazy, but looks like they leave the plywood in place even after new glass is in. Lots of work still going on there . Have a 60mm & 400mm pic from for your inspection.

Always enjoy the monee shots! smilewinkgrin.gif

Thank you. I do love Fort Worth/Photography/Architecture. There is some little devil in me that makes me post what I am thinking about. In many cases to allow someone that knows what is really going on to fill me (us) in.

Many pics I just think are pretty... or strange. I sometimes feel like I post too many pictures but it is not like they are being stored on the Forum server and taking up space, so I then figure "why not?" I tell myself that nobody has to look at them if they don't care to.

So then it is a simple problem of "do they do more harm or good" and I see little harm.
I will also say this. Before I moved downtown I lived for pictures others posted of Downtown. It was my only window to downtown. I think that rubbed off on me. Also, I have a different perspective from my balcony shots on 34. Some things look different from above. That, plus I am like a cat in the window, mostly looking at downtown out my window. Hours a day. On weekends, many hours. I am easily amused, apparently. But I love it.

I have learned most of what I know about Fort Worth from this Forum. I have learned most of what I know about photography from this Forum. I have learned a lot about lots of things from these pages. It has a unique member. Primarily smart people generous with their knowledge and perspective. I really enjoy it.

(Sorry to give you a book in lieu of a simple thanks but you drew the short straw today)

www.fortworthview.com

#103 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

Transport Life. Yesterday morning in the cold, I see new windows going in at 3 different locations. Then today, I noticed that the exterior elevator has been removed and they are patching the holes they made. A few shots for your review.

I am curious if these window frames will remain this color. (white?)

Shot with elevator removed (where scaffolding is in shot.)

Patching up their construction holes.

www.fortworthview.com

#104 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:33 PM

This morning. 20° and windy. The XTO boys hard at work.
This shot was taken at around 8am of these guys at around the 20th floor. Couldn't believe they were up there working under those conditions. They are putting new mortar in the bricks and grinding it? I don't know what they are doing. But it looks different from the top to where they are working. I am guessing they come back and brush off the excess mortar or something. Mostly new windows now. A few old ones that are odd sizes. I speculate.

I do know that 5 minutes on my balcony taking this picture and I was expecting hazardous duty pay.

www.fortworthview.com

#105 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:27 AM

They are sure enough rock'n n roll'n on this skyscraper. Funny to me, that after taking away the fascia on the lower floors it looks like there is not nearly enough support left to hold the building up. Shall I give them a call with my concerns? Looks to me like those little columns could not not hold up a building of that size. I guess 90 years of winds (and tornado's) tells me otherwise. I guess that's why they don't consult me when they build these things. What a massive project.

Two shots from Sunday Afternoon for your inspection...

www.fortworthview.com

#106 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

A quick pick of this construction project taken this Sunday afternoon.

www.fortworthview.com

#107 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:39 PM

Facade blocks with arch-window detail are collecting in the Landmark lot. These look true to the original style. Just waiting for Roman soldier heads to show up now.

#108 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (bhudson @ Feb 17 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Facade blocks with arch-window detail are collecting in the Landmark lot. These look true to the original style. Just waiting for Roman soldier heads to show up now.

Roger that. It is amazing the stuff you can get on E-Bay.™

Again. The city of Fort Worth should be grateful I am not restoring this building. Every place it called for new moldings like this I would use spackling compound to fill in the missing areas. I would have done the entire restoration for 500 bucks. (2/3rds of my net worth)

A shot from yesterday afternoon. When I took this shot I did not realize how big these pieces were. Then I realized they were on standard pallets. These are big pieces!

www.fortworthview.com

#109 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

Looks as if XTO is putting some kind of grills on this vertical column of window holes. You got me.

I do know this... there is not one other company in this Country, right now, that would be putting the kind of money into this building that XTO is. 24 hours a day. Only XTO. Must be massive expenditures. I am going to speculate this building will be better than it was in 1920. I doubt if they even had CAT 5 wiring in 1920.

www.fortworthview.com

#110 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

This grand skyscraper is really coming along well. I meant to take a pic of the full building this afternoon but didn't. The huge construction holes on each floor that were previously bricked up were made to match some how. Mortar work or whatever. But really looks great. They finished putting in those "grills" top to bottom in what was a row of windows. What I took a shot of today, is a close up of another vertical row of windows next to the column of grills. As you can see with the afternoon lighting, is just huge pipes behind those new windows. I am guessing the only reason they replaced all those windows was that it was cheaper than bricking the holes. Not that they wouldn't welcome the additional light in the building. The only thing remaining on this building from my side of it is a new row of small windows remaining. I am guessing the small windows have not come in yet. (this row is on the far left in this picture.) Take a look. This is going to be a really handsome building again.

www.fortworthview.com

#111 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:53 AM

And now the spot free rinse...

Get back out here. Breakfast is over...

www.fortworthview.com

#112 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:41 AM

Here is the full shot of this building I wanted to take yesterday morning. Here, from this morning is a new shot. Take a look at the 3 (THREE) suspended platforms of workers at the same time. XTO. Like fire-ants getting stuff done. Maybe before the price of natural gas went to nothing these guys worked on a rig.
I am with T. Boone Pickens. Shame on this country for not quickly converting at least big trucks to Natural Gas. (Cleaner and more American than oil.) I'm sure if big company's could know that natural gas prices would remain low everything would be different. Amazing that I watch train after train carrying coal through town (dirty) when we now have a surplus of clean natural gas. At least the coal is American fuel, unlike most of the oil.

www.fortworthview.com

#113 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

True, it is just construction lights, but I am excited about this old building coming back to life. They were working on it all day as usual today, on Saturday.

www.fortworthview.com

#114 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

The facade elements at the base are now finally going up (photo courtesy of my iPhone, don't expect much):

#115 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:52 PM

Cbellomy took a great pic from his phone! That stone work looks very familiar to me. (Carnagie?)

I took this shot this morning. Every window you are looking at is new. No exceptions. You can see workers up high on the North side working the bricks. Sure seems like this thing could be finished this summer to me. I hope the price of natural gas goes up enough to keep this builidng out the Skyscraper Trader©. tongue.gif

www.fortworthview.com

#116 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:24 PM

My casual observation, monee, was that the stone for the base at least roughly matched the exterior of the upper floors. It looks beautiful.

#117 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:57 PM

Guys, that is not stone. It is terra cotta, and yes, installation of large pieces like this would be similar to the installation of stone.

Chris, you said that the base "roughly matched" the upper floors. That is why they removed the original terra cotta. With as many patches as would have been required to complete the base, the new pieces would never exactly match the old. Therefore, the facade would always look as if it were patched. This way, with a definite separation of new to old by a cornice, you wouldn't be able to see the slightly different pieces placed in the same plane.

#118 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Mar 19 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys, that is not stone. It is terra cotta, and yes, installation of large pieces like this would be similar to the installation of stone.

Chris, you said that the base "roughly matched" the upper floors. That is why they removed the original terra cotta. With as many patches as would have been required to complete the base, the new pieces would never exactly match the old. Therefore, the facade would always look as if it were patched. This way, with a definite separation of new to old by a cornice, you wouldn't be able to see the slightly different pieces placed in the same plane.

I was just about to admit that I thought terra cotta was stone, but then I realized that may make me look kind of dumb. blush.gif
www.fortworthview.com

#119 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:59 PM

A couple of shots late evening.

www.fortworthview.com

#120 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:27 PM

As seen from my side, this building is done! Here is a shot from this morning. I see nothing going on now but touch up...

www.fortworthview.com

#121 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

Of course just as soon as I proclaimed they were through with this building from my side, I see plenty of work being done this Easter weekend.

I am confused as to what is being done. At first it appeared they were installing additional windows. (Not saying they are not) but see some evidence to the contrary. 3 pics from one for your inspection. The first, a big shot of the building. Take a look at what looks like new windows being installed on the far left. (Northeast corner). Scroll down to the next shot, (First shot cropped) where it appears they are bricking over the hole they cut out. (What?) In the third shot (again a crop of the first) is see that many of the small windows have writing next to them. Think it says ELEVATOR. Also see bars on the windows? Hey, I am over my head on all this...

I should have just supplied the pictures and said, "It is obvious what's going on here!" and everybody would think I had been taking architecture classes. (When in actuality I was at my in-laws for Easter consuming a truckload of simple carbohydrates.)

I know this writing looks like one of my Photoshop jobs, but I am inocent...

www.fortworthview.com

#122 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:01 AM

Visual update on this skyscraper in transition.

And yes, they have cut in a whole new column of windows.

www.fortworthview.com

#123 FoUTASportscaster

FoUTASportscaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:23 AM

I just reviewed this entire thread and I want to say thanks to monee as well as the other photogs. What a great job in documenting this thing.

Question, was this building completely vacant before XTO started he redo?

#124 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

Yes, it was completely vacant, and had been so for a few years. Several attempts were made to restore or put an adaptive re-use into the building, but they failed. We are fortunate that XTO purchased the building and they are doing such a wonderful job with it.

#125 txcaptdan

txcaptdan

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:31 PM

The "stone work" on Transport life is actually cast concrete and not terra cotta as was original. There are only a few companies making terra cotta and it is wildly expensive.
The roman heads are currently being placed at the top of each arch!
The heads were sculpted locally and then cast.
The facade is being created from old photos of this building.
XTO is doing a great job!

#126 txcaptdan

txcaptdan

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:49 PM

See if these come through....
[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

They are almost impossible to see from street yet. They are being placed then the stone masons will build arches to them.

#127 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

Wow.

#128 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (cberen1 @ Jul 2 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow.

Double Wow!

Amazing pics of amazing quality. What gives? What the heck kind of camera and lens? How could the exposures be so perfect? And did you just come across this big photo event? Time to level with us. Cripes...

www.fortworthview.com

#129 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

Agree with Monee, I don't think they could be any clearer. Very nice !
Mike

#130 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:58 AM

Thank you for the photographs and for the information on the materials. I did not know that XTO had chosen to substitute materials.

#131 txcaptdan

txcaptdan

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

D300 Nikon 12-24mm DX, 18-200mm DX, I am a local professional photographer, I document all XTO projects. it has been a joy to be involved and watch these projects develop. I got to meet the sculptress and see the original in her studio, spectacular work. You would not believe the views from the roof of this building.

#132 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:54 AM

Back in 2004, before XTO purchased the building, one of our forum members was allowed inside the building. He was allowed to shoot these photographs of the views. These pictures were posted in a previous thread on the the forum.

Here's a link to the previous thread: http://www.fortworth...hp?showtopic=73

#133 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:49 AM

Just noticed this morning that the fire escape ladders are missing on this building. I have been surprised that the exterior stairs have remained throughout the re-build. Of course I missing a clue. Could be they will mount new ones today or put the same stairs up with a fresh coat of paint on them or whatever. But in any case it looks a bit different. Let's take a look, shall we?

www.fortworthview.com

#134 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:10 PM

And the work progresses.

I was excited this chilly morning to see the smoke (steam?) coming out of the heating vent on the roof of this skyscraper. Kind of means there is a functioning HVAC system.

Closer look.

www.fortworthview.com

#135 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:02 AM

Have not been over here in a while. I am really impressed with the progress. Fancy new entrance. Brick walkways. Really going to be something in the not too distant future...

www.fortworthview.com

#136 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:18 PM

Yes, the building is really starting to shape up. You have to admit that XTO has really been doing these old downtown buildings a big favor by restoring them.

#137 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:51 PM

Out of the past....

Those pie-shaped pads across the tracks and behind the building are the remains of either the old Santa Fe or Fort Worth & Denver roundhouse. You can see more if you use Google Earth or a Satellite map to look at the area.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#138 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

This Transport Life building is really coming along nicely. (As seen from street view) I bet I am not the only one in town that is nervous about Exxon Mobile buying XTO. Surely Mr. Exxon did not have a Mother that grew up in and loved Fort Worth? I hope at a minimum they can finished grand buildings like this one. Must make economic sense to do so it would seem.

I just noticed there is some type of sky-bridge linking the Simpson Building (Baker Building) and the Transport Life building. I have actual seen human traffic between the 2 buildings. It kind of surprises me that they would link these to buildings. Why, for example?

Was just out walking and had my 70-200mm on my camera so this shot is a bit close for much scale but you can see what I am talking about. I have been seeing more and more activity in this building. Lots of lights on for example. Makes me very happy. Surely one of the 2 most significant buildings in Fort Worth. (Architecturally anyway)

Simpson Building on the left.

www.fortworthview.com

#139 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

The skybridge was actually put in fairly early in the restoration process. Brian, you asked why build one. I think the simple answer was to provide access between the two buildings without having to go outside. The Simpson Building already has a security desk in the elevator lobby and I'm sure 714 Main will have one, as well. With a skybridge, an employee could go between buildings without having to go back through security.

#140 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

I was downtown the other day and the scaffolding had been removed so that I had easy access to the door to the elevator lobby where I was able to look in.

To the right of the door are two giant full body sculptures of the same Roman soldiers whose heads are on the facade. The ceiling of the elevator lobby also has very ornate plasterwork. And above the elevator are dials which appeared from my not-so-great vantage point, to look vintage.

Question: Does anyone know if the sculpture work, plasterwork, elevator dials, etc. are replicas (or even possibly surviving originals in the case of the sculptures and dials) from the building's heyday?
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#141 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

Here is a shot of the 714 Main building (Transport Life) this evening. It is really looking terrific. I also took a few pictures of the inside (like of the armored warriors in the lobby) but figured I probably should not be taking pictures of the inside of a building without permission. So I will not post those. But I can say, "I bet it looks great in there!"

www.fortworthview.com

#142 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:51 PM

When I missed John S.'s Samuels tour, I decided to wander around downtown a bit and take some unremarkable photos for grins. I threw them up on flickr as-is. This is one I took of 714 Main. I wanted a close-up of the head, but this is all my stock lens could manage. However, the original has enough detail that I can enlarge it to get more or less what I was looking for.

#143 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

With the front door covered up with plastic I hope this means they are re-doing the final treatment on that. I noted during the mainstreet arts festival that someone had done a faux-marble painting of wood around the door that looked quite bad and out of character with the rest of the re-do. Here's hoping that was only temporary and more grand things are underway now!

#144 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (Volare @ Jun 13 2010, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the front door covered up with plastic I hope this means they are re-doing the final treatment on that. I noted during the mainstreet arts festival that someone had done a faux-marble painting of wood around the door that looked quite bad and out of character with the rest of the re-do. Here's hoping that was only temporary and more grand things are underway now!

Agree Volare. It just must be the case. The entire building has been done in a A++ Superior fashion. (This is not a Moody's or Standard & Poors A++, or really an F, but a real A++)
I am very excited about the building and that it looks like they are a week away from a grand opening. I have no clue about the timing of course.
www.fortworthview.com

#145 SurplusPopulation

SurplusPopulation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (Volare @ Jun 13 2010, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I was down there a few months ago I talked to a guy taking pictures of the building. He claimed to be doing so in an official capacity and said that the door that was in place was purely temporary for the sake of downtown events.

#146 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

Sure looks finished to me. I took this shot last night. I saw people coming and going through the North door on Main. Even pretty flowers in front of the front door area? That sounds pretty "Grand Open like" to me. Anxious to see the front door beyond the plastic.

I am sure glad all this magnificent work got accomplished before Exxon Mobil bought them out. I have no knowledge that they think any less of Fort Worth than XTO did, but if I were a betting man...

www.fortworthview.com

#147 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

Maybe Exxon/Mobil will take one look at this regal restoration and decide it might be time to trade up and move out of that office park in Irving... devil.gif

BTW, thanks Brian and all for the photos capturing this beautiful building's resurrection!

#148 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:19 AM

I am still surprised that there was not a huge event celebrating the opening of this Transport Life Building. One of the biggest events in the history of Fort Worth, in my opinion. Taking a massive grand building in bad condition and turning it into a masterpiece while giving extreme attention to original detail. Just amazing that it happened, and on this scale. There are big grand buildings all over the Country that have people wishing that some rich guy would buy it and spend a billion dollars restoring it to its exact original configuration. Had it not have been XTO Energy, it would not have happened. Probably ever. Definitely not with great expense to make it original.

I really think we need a Bob Simpson or an XTO park or street in Fort Worth. I am not sure they are not THE most meaningful entity in the History of Fort Worth. The restorations they have done in our city was not all in the name of profit. Any of those buildings could have been restored good enough to house office workers for half the price they spent on them. Mostly for the love of Fort Worth. Mostly in a recession.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#149 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

Here are three photos that I took yesterday of the exterior of the building.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#150 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

John: thanks for the pics. And thanks to XTO for their commitment to Fort Worth and this (and other) beautiful architecture. I got to see the building first hand a few weeks ago when I was in FW. It is spectacular! I agree with Brian, there should have been more publicity and a grand re-opening event for a building like this. But, perhaps XTO prefers to be humble. Which, come to think of it, is a real and rare virtue these days...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users