Dallas Business Journal

http://www.bizjourna...and-buy-in.html

#2 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

Too bad Perot could not have been sold a site in DTFW. His group could have built a HS rail connection between there and Alliance...

Naw, I suppose it would have been another tollway  :glare:

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

envisions grand development

Like Victory?  :)

#4 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

Perot Jr makes all his money here in Fort Worth and then goes and spends it in Dallas.

#5 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:37 AM

Perot Jr makes all his money here in Fort Worth and then goes and spends it in Dallas.

More like he builds industrial parks and strip housing in Fort Worth then goes to Dallas and builds luxury highrises, luxury hotels, and office buildings for white collar jobs. Not to mention his family name on an incredible museum. The Perots have always been about Dallas.

#6 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

envisions grand development

Like Victory?  :)

I think the only thing in Victory that has been a failure is the retail. I went to a Mavs game and I counted three residential developments going up. I can't stand the Perots, but whomever owns Victory now seems to be turning it around.

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

That's likely the case, but the retail is the front door and the day-to-day face of the development and it has a long way to go to be what I would call "turning around".  My wife and daughter and I milled around through the area for about 30 minutes a few Sunday afternoons ago while waiting on a TRE train to return from the Fair and I was shocked at the lack of any activity.  It was gorgeous outside and we literally saw not a single other person walk through the plaza while we were there. 

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

Most of the Victory/Uptown area feels like an upscale suburban residential highrise development to me.

#9 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

Just because stuff is being built in Victory doesn't make it a success.  It's a severely flawed development from a design & urbanism perspective, and it needs more than just some new residential buildings to fix it.

--

Kara B.

#10 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:52 AM

Just because stuff is being built in Victory doesn't make it a success.  It's a severely flawed development from a design & urbanism perspective, and it needs more than just some new residential buildings to fix it.

I disagree. You can say the design is flawed to which I concur. However, there are several components to a development like Victory. You can't say the office component is a failure when the office space is leased up and another office building is slated to go up. You can't say the hotel is failure when the W is one of the most booked hotels in DFW and you can't say the residential component is a failure when residences are full and three more sizeable ones are going up. I'm not one of the people here that poo poo everything Dallas. I happen to enjoy Dallas as much as Fort Worth. And now that the Perots have there grubby hands off Victory, I think it has a chance to turn around. Retail and the street level design are duds in Victory, but from what I see, the other components are working quite well. And for the record, the company that owns it now released some plans to "fix it" a few months back that included lots of work at street level. I think it can be turned around and it definitely starts with getting more people living there.

#11 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

..... And for the record, the company that owns it now released some plans to "fix it" a few months back that included lots of work at street level. I think it can be turned around and it definitely starts with getting more people living there.

But if it works, why the plans to "fix it"?  Looks like Fort Worthology has it about right.

#12 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

..... And for the record, the company that owns it now released some plans to "fix it" a few months back that included lots of work at street level. I think it can be turned around and it definitely starts with getting more people living there.

But if it works, why the plans to "fix it"?  Looks like Fort Worthology has it about right.

Yep.  Also there recently, with Dallas folks proud of it.  Kept my mouth shut out of politeness.  We ultimately went to Bishop Arts and had a nice meal and fun.  But, hey, it's not my money.  May the W and i't's parking lot/apartments rule.  Clearly a market.  Just not mine.

#13 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:49 AM

The plan to "fix it" is for the lagging retail and horrible street level design...you know the parts that are not working. . As I said, the other components seem to be doing just find.

#14 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:55 AM

Yep.  Also there recently, with Dallas folks proud of it.  Kept my mouth shut out of politeness.  We ultimately went to Bishop Arts and had a nice meal and fun.  But, hey, it's not my money.  May the W and i't's parking lot/apartments rule.  Clearly a market.  Just not mine.

Took my nieces to the Drake concert  and things seems to be doing fine without your dollars. The show wasn't cancelled or anything.

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

Whoa! Here's an article from Dallas News. Norman Foster is architect. A favorite of mine!

http://www.dallasnew...-dallas-skyline

tADQOxp.jpg

#16 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

Very cool. I love the Hearst building that he designed in NYC. Anytime I see a perfectly round skyscraper like that I'm reminded of the Peachtree Plaza Hotel in Atlanta. I stayed in the hotel across the street on a trip several years ago and admired it everyday. Not the prettiest building, but definitely unique.

#17 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

Wow!

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:32 PM

I have admired many of Foster's projects.  This will be a great building for Downtown Dallas.

#19 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Looks nice to me. I'm a bit jealous.

Hopefully, it won't have the sun glare issues that Museum tower has.

-Dylan

#20 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:11 PM

Looks nice to me. I'm a bit jealous.

Hopefully, it won't have the sun glare issues that Museum tower has.

I am not a bit jealous. I am a LOT jealous. :eek: Some projects never come to pass. But Dallas has a way of pulling off big builds more than Fort Worth. I need a drink *sigh*

#21 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:43 AM

Well, it does appear that way, doesn't it?

Don't get me wrong, North Fort Worth has been radically transformed by Hillwood as you will read below. While in the same period,  Downtown has remained stubbornly flat and complacent. 640 Taylor/Jetta is evidence, with its healthy pre-leasing record already established, that building in the Downtown is not a bad idea. Is it the promise of TRV or Sundance, either alone or in conjunction, that speculative outsiders may see Downtown as being prohibited?  

Downtown needs at least three additional major office towers to compliment 640T/J. The existing four major office towers in Downtown are approaching 40 years in age.  SD1 and SD2 are showing their age as well as their exterior light.

With a newly announced emphasis  initiative on the parts of the City and DFWI to market proactively the CBD to perspective out-of-town developers; and perhaps with great hope,  their effort will snag a "Hillwood" or someone's else speculative tower.  Will the City be unrestrained to pursue this effort? 

However, that being said, I do want to reiterate my utter happiness with the spurt of hospitality projects underway and being planned for Downtown.  IMO, a robust hospitality infrastructure will outpace the given impact towards sustaining Downtown more so than will office infrastructure.

As for this particular design, I am not a particular fan of "cylinder" towers. I much more prefer the earlier rendering of this speculative project.

Now as to the earlier remarks, the where from and where to -

http://www.hillwood....sCaseStudy.aspx

#22 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:28 AM

The plan to "fix it" is for the lagging retail and horrible street level design...you know the parts that are not working. . As I said, the other components seem to be doing just find.

Cool building...but this post really made me revisit the Victory Park discussion.  It's been  less than 4 years and I think there's been 6 or more additional office and residential developments completed or currently going up in Victory Park, including one that includes a movie theater and Tom Thumb grocery store.  From 1-35,  you can barely even see American Airlines Arena anymore. So even with the poor design and horrible start, it's difficult to say that Victory Park is a failure. And you gotta give it to Dallas...this building won't be the only thing changing the downtown skyline. There are two 40 story residential towers slated for downtown Dallas, one in the Arts District and one near this one. 

#23 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

.... Meanwhile, in Dallas, Ross Perot Jr. has proposed the tallest tower in Dallas.  Whether it comes to fruition or not remains to be seen but if anyone can get it done it is him.  http://www.bizjourna...developing.html

I'm curious too to which company from outside of Texas is considering a relocation of this magnitude?  I would think that it would have to be the likes of an international company wanting to make its debut in the U.S.; maybe one of the Emirates, but why?

I will also reiterate that the iconic design of the building with circular floor plans hard to configure as office space. What about elevators?

For all my doubting, Fort Worth could actually use some of this speculation.

#24 JasnoDTX

JasnoDTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

.... Meanwhile, in Dallas, Ross Perot Jr. has proposed the tallest tower in Dallas.  Whether it comes to fruition or not remains to be seen but if anyone can get it done it is him.  http://www.bizjourna...developing.html

I'm curious too to which company from outside of Texas is considering a relocation of this magnitude?  I would think that it would have to be the likes of an international company wanting to make its debut in the U.S.; maybe one of the Emirates, but why?

I will also reiterate that the iconic design of the building with circular floor plans hard to configure as office space. What about elevators?

For all my doubting, Fort Worth could actually use some of this speculation.

#25 JasnoDTX

JasnoDTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:54 PM

Hi! First post here ever. Looks like a great place.

I hope Hillwood/Perot have a good marketing team beacause many companies from California have expanded or relocated to Dallas. Even London-based Zinwave has relocated it's HQ from London to Uptown Dallas recently so I think Perot missed the boat on them. I hope that is a sign for more Intl companies to come here. DFW is a great logistical location. Perot needs to make this a mixed use project to make it possible like Wilshire Grand in LA.

#26 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

Welcome to the forum!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users