AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE(Keller Pirate @ Jun 28 2007, 06:21 AM) View Post

QUOTE(AndyN @ Jun 27 2007, 11:45 PM) View Post

A good example of this is the fact that the owners of the Katy Freight Building thought that they had the unrestricted right to demolish a historically designated property without regard to the historic designation. As a result of their blatant disregard for the procedures, they are currently dealing with the City of Dallas in court.

This is the building I was refering to. I heard or read that the city of Dallas told the developer to rebuild, which was one of the options under the preservation code. The owners took the city to court and I heard they won, city lost. I'll have to surf the net again looking for a reference to the Katy to see if I can find something.

From Dallas Morning News April 2007:

A concrete slab and piles of rubble remain at the former location of the Kansas-Missouri-Texas Railroad Depot along Houston Street near the West End District in downtown Dallas. But behind the scenes, the legal fight over the demolition of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad depot lurches along in the run-up to the trial for the city of Dallas' lawsuit against property owner TCI West End Inc. and demolition contractor Weir Industries.

One of those pretrial developments drastically alters what the city hoped would happen to the three-acre parcel at 302 N. Houston St. – a new depot building, as close to identical to its predecessor as possible.

"The trial judge [Jim Jordan] has granted the property owner's summary judgment motion in part and dismissed our claims for an injunction requiring reconstruction of the building," said Chris Bowers, chief of litigation for the Dallas city attorney's office.

The rest of the city's lawsuit remains in place, Mr. Bowers said. And since the lawsuit was filed 11 months ago, Dallas has gained a co-plaintiff, the Texas Historical Commission.

The depot, built about 1925, was largely demolished over the weekend of April 29, 2006. The city maintains that demolition of the sprawling, single-story red brick depot took place without a proper permit and without the permission of the city's Landmark Commission and City Council – necessities for demolishing buildings in the West End Historic District.

The only permit issued for demolition work on the property, the city said, was for a small 1970s addition covering 500 square feet, and that permit was revoked a week before the work took place.

Al Weir of Weir Industries told The Dallas Morning News last year that his company had a permit.

"The one I have is to demolish the building and clear the lot," he said.

At that time, he blamed any problems on "some ambiguity between the city and Transcontinental," which lists the same address as TCI West End and conveyed the depot property to TCI West End in March 2006.

That permit is at the center of the lawsuit, scheduled to go to trial in a Dallas district court on Aug. 6.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#102 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:45 AM

KP, the current owners intended harm to the building -- they were going to demolish it. Hence, the roasting.

#103 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE(Fire-Eater @ Jun 27 2007, 11:08 PM) View Post

Just in case some of y'all are thinking otherwise, the law is not completely on their side. They are currently in violation of city building code. Additionally, as property owners, they do not have the unrestricted "right" to demolish the building. It has been designated Highly Significant Endangered (HSE). They must follow regulatory procedures that may ultimately result in them being denied the "right" to demolish.

Hmmm... Someone in the know seems to disagree FE.

QUOTE(PPoole @ Jun 27 2007, 11:21 PM) View Post

There appears to be no current city code violations and we will move immediately upon acceptance of our contract to apply to the City of Fort Worth for an historic designation.

Moreover...

... I would like to address those two statements because I believe they are the most inaccurate and, if not addressed, most damaging.

Just in case some of y'all are thinking otherwise, the law is not completely on their side.

Really, because it sure looks like it to me. They haven't illegally started destroying the property. They were ready to wait their 180 days and start up the heavy equipment. Just like the Smith-Sweeney deal...

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Jun 26 2007, 09:10 PM) View Post

The City's Preservation Officer notified all of the interested parties from the meetings that legally she had to approve the demolition permit when it crossed her desk in February 2007. That was a courtesy, so we new what to expect, once the bulldozers arrived on the site.

John T. Roberts has repeatedly lamented the fact that the law is on the side of the owner in these situations. If the owners wanted to tear it down, you would be hard pressed to stop them. They could just wait their 180 days and get after it.

So I hold that my statements, particularly about the law are not innaccurate. You might not like it, and maybe there is some moral imperative that leads you to refer to a higher authority rather than the laws in place in Fort Worth, but the law is definitely on the property owner's side.

I'm glad the building appears to be headed towards a higher use and not demolition. Nice save. I'm curious, though, how much impact did the fanatic have on the process?

#104 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE(cbellomy @ Jun 28 2007, 09:45 AM) View Post

KP, the current owners intended harm to the building -- they were going to demolish it. Hence, the roasting.

This also makes their comments about the bricks being "too fragile" to support renovations rather suspect.

--

Kara B.

#105 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Historic buildings and landscapes, local history, current events, coffee, hard liquor, and arguing!

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(Keller Pirate @ Jun 28 2007, 09:18 AM) View Post

I say "Good Show" to P Poole and TownSite company. I also apologize to the current owners that have apparently done no harm to the building, for being roasted in this forum.

Yes, but must I apologize for roasting them because they WANTED to destroy it???
eek.gif
WWSPFD?*

History is but the record of the public and official acts of human beings. It is our object, therefore, to humanize our history and deal with people past and present; people who ate and possibly drank; people who were born, flourished and died; not grave tragedians, posing perpetually for their photographs. ~Bill Nye, History of the United States

For me there is no greater subject than history. How a man can study it and not be forced to become a philosopher, I cannot tell. ~George E. Wilson

*What Would Susan Pringle Frost Do?

#106 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Historic buildings and landscapes, local history, current events, coffee, hard liquor, and arguing!

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Jun 28 2007, 10:32 AM) View Post

Just in case some of y'all are thinking otherwise, the law is not completely on their side. They are currently in violation of city building code. Additionally, as property owners, they do not have the unrestricted "right" to demolish the building. It has been designated Highly Significant Endangered (HSE). They must follow regulatory procedures that may ultimately result in them being denied the "right" to demolish.

Hmmm... Someone in the know seems to disagree FE.

QUOTE(PPoole @ Jun 27 2007, 11:21 PM) View Post

There appears to be no current city code violations and we will move immediately upon acceptance of our contract to apply to the City of Fort Worth for an historic designation.

Moreover...

... I would like to address those two statements because I believe they are the most inaccurate and, if not addressed, most damaging.

Just in case some of y'all are thinking otherwise, the law is not completely on their side.

Really, because it sure looks like it to me. They haven't illegally started destroying the property. They were ready to wait their 180 days and start up the heavy equipment. Just like the Smith-Sweeney deal...

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Jun 26 2007, 09:10 PM) View Post

The City's Preservation Officer notified all of the interested parties from the meetings that legally she had to approve the demolition permit when it crossed her desk in February 2007. That was a courtesy, so we new what to expect, once the bulldozers arrived on the site.

John T. Roberts has repeatedly lamented the fact that the law is on the side of the owner in these situations. If the owners wanted to tear it down, you would be hard pressed to stop them. They could just wait their 180 days and get after it.

So I hold that my statements, particularly about the law are not innaccurate. You might not like it, and maybe there is some moral imperative that leads you to refer to a higher authority rather than the laws in place in Fort Worth, but the law is definitely on the property owner's side.

I'm glad the building appears to be headed towards a higher use and not demolition. Nice save. I'm curious, though, how much impact did the fanatic have on the process?

I'm sorry--I guess the historic preservation officer for the City of Fort Worth is wrong: She told me that the K.O.P. building is historically designated as HSE.

Additionally, please see http://www.fortworth...lt.aspx?id=2926. The K.O.P. building, in its current condition, is a "substandard structure" and an "open & vacant structure," both of which are code violations.
WWSPFD?*

History is but the record of the public and official acts of human beings. It is our object, therefore, to humanize our history and deal with people past and present; people who ate and possibly drank; people who were born, flourished and died; not grave tragedians, posing perpetually for their photographs. ~Bill Nye, History of the United States

For me there is no greater subject than history. How a man can study it and not be forced to become a philosopher, I cannot tell. ~George E. Wilson

#107 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(Fire-Eater @ Jun 28 2007, 03:09 PM) View Post

I'm sorry--I guess the historic preservation officer for the City of Fort Worth is wrong: She told me that the K.O.P. building is historically designated as HSE.

Additionally, please see http://www.fortworth...lt.aspx?id=2926. The K.O.P. building, in its current condition, is a "substandard structure" and an "open & vacant structure," both of which are code violations.

I guess that's what I get for listening to random posters and not checking it out personally. You are correct that it is designated HSE and would be tough to tear down without demonstrating significant structural damage, although the biggest reason the demolition permit wasn't granted was because it was submitted incomplete. Bureaucracy triumphs where enthusiasm fails.

I'd still tear it down because of your attitude. smile.gif Or maybe I would just park a bull dozer next to it to keep you worked up for a while. happy.gif

#108 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:05 PM

I think there may be some confusion on the preservation laws here. First off, the Smith-Swinney Building was designed Demolition Delay. The owners applied for a demolition permit, which kicked in a review by the Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission. At the time the case was heard, the owners of the Smith-Swinney building requested that they be allowed to demolish the building immediately. The H&CLC then imposed the full 180 day demolition delay on the building. They have the power to do this on Demolition Delay designated structures, or they can vote to allow the demolition faster, if they wish.

The Knights of Pythias is already designated HSE, and if you look in the preservation sections of the Fort Worth Zoning Ordinance, you must have good and valid reasons to apply to demolish a structure with this highest level of historic designation. The paperwork for the demolition was submitted incomplete, but even if it was complete, the case would still have to come before the Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission. They would make the determination to either approve or deny the demolition. I don't think HSE has a time frame attached to demolition, so it would either have to be approved or denied. If the demolition was denied, then the owner could have appealed. With a recent change in our appeals process, H&CLC appeals now go before the Board of Appeals instead of going to Zoning and ultimately to Council.

I hope this has clarified some of the confusion on our preservation laws. However, I must admit that I am not an expert on the Zoning Ordinance or our laws.

#109 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:02 PM

The pertinent stuff starts on page 24: Article 5 - Historic Preservation Overlay Districts.

This is a large PDF file and might take awhile to load.

Zoning District Regulations

The City of Fort Worth Zoning Map shows the KofP Building being in the J - Medium Industrial Zoning with HSE overlay.

The section on getting a certificate of appropiateness to allow demolition of HSE structures starts at section 4.507 and the section regarding demolition by neglect starts at section 4.509.

I can't say it is light reading since it is written in beauracratise/legalise.

#110 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:23 AM

Thank you, my good fellow, for that link. I think I shall print-up a hard copy of that most holy document. I shall use it to flagellate any cberen1-propelled bulldozer coming near the K.O.P. building!
WWSPFD?*

#111 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:01 PM

Watch what you say in public FE.

Because "accidents" and ACTS OF GOD do happen.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#112 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Jun 29 2007, 06:01 PM) View Post

Watch what you say in public FE.

Because "accidents" and ACTS OF GOD do happen.

You got THAT right!
WWSPFD?*

#113 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:22 AM

If this has been posted previously - forgive me

http://www.pythias.org/index.htm

I was just curious as to who these Knights of Pythias were... conf.gif

#114 PPoole

PPoole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Urban Developer

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:45 PM

As a follow up to the current thread. TownSite will be seeking a zoning change to an H District which allows residential use not currently allowed in J Industrial the current zoning. The HSE designation also requires a Certificate of Approriateness for the renovation plan and for Tax incentives to be granted. All taking about 4 months. So we are a long way from being underway.The sucess we had with The Depot gives us some assurance we will be able to find an adaptive way to reuse this build productively.

#115 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(jefffwd @ Jun 30 2007, 09:22 AM) View Post

If this has been posted previously - forgive me

http://www.pythias.org/index.htm

I was just curious as to who these Knights of Pythias were... conf.gif

Actually, that's the wrong organization. It was the Colored Knights of Pythias who owned the building at Crump & Second. To learn about their cultural context, check out http://www.blackcomm...3_kilson_1.html or http://findarticles....i_n9401165/pg_5 or http://www.westsides...ure_stories.htm.

This is from the last link:

"The founding of the Colored Knights of Pythias is an intriguing tale. In 1870, the white Knights of Pythias officially refused to extend brotherhood across racial lines. After years of further petitions, a handful of black men who could “pass” racially gained admittance to a white lodge so they could learn its secrets and rituals. The leader of this group was Dr. Thomas W. Stringer, a black Mason, African Methodist Episcopal minister, and Reconstruction-era Mississippi State Senator. Drawing on the rituals they observed at the white Knights of Pythias, Stringer and associates formed the first black Pythian lodge and a Supreme Council in Vicksburg, Mississippi in 1880.

Though the new fraternal group borrowed some of its structure and practices from the white Knights of Pythias, they had a much bolder name: The Knights of Pythias of North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Africa (later it became “…Asia, Africa, and Australia”). For short, the organization was sometimes called the “Colored Knights of Pythias.”

The Colored Knights of Pythias suffered a schism in the early 1900s, but not long afterwards the main order grew very large, with enrollments reaching a peak of almost 200,000 in the 1920s, more than 6% of African American men.

Like the black Odd Fellows, the black Knights of Pythias participated in their communities by offering social insurance benefits and providing meeting halls and welfare institutions, including a sanitarium in Arkansas. Perhaps to a greater degree than any other black order, the colored Knights of Pythias featured a “Uniform Rank” marching order that offered thousands of members, at least in the North, the chance to parade in smart, military-style formations. Along with other orders, the colored Knights of Pythias suffered during the Depression; it failed to recover much afterwards and barely persists today."

WWSPFD?*

#116 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, Sailing, Exotic cars, Aviation, My family, Travel<br />My Personal website www.jasonmiller.com

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Jun 11 2007, 03:57 PM) View Post

It's going to take several partners. Perhaps that Race St. developer could have a showing.

Its been a while since I have been to the forum, but I have already tried to buy and save this building (I restored the McAdams building for Robert Bell)

The owner is firm with their price which isn't really too bad but you guys have to keep in mind. Fort Worth is the most difficult city to deal with trying to save these buildings, instead of barging down there demanding the building be saved from demolition demand the city to give incentives for new development their.

Bottom line is if it doesn't generate money to support its restoration is wont be restored.

When I tried to buy the building I went to Dale Fissler (sp?) and went over my plan for the building, there can be no alcohol sales ever (zoning) so forget a pub or restaurant. There is no parking so forget lofts or even retail for that matter. The city requires the building brought up to current codes, elevator, modern lighting and energy codes etc. Frankly nothing but maybe offices could go there and even that would be difficult to get through the city.

By the way I have sold my buildings on Race st for this very reason and purchased historical buildings in Hubbard city and Galveston... Hubbard welcomes developers to restore their buildings with open arms.. which is a nice change from race st.

Jason
Let me help you with your Real Estate needs
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#117 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE(DJASONMILLER @ Jul 4 2007, 11:28 PM) View Post

The owner is firm with their price which isn't really too bad but you guys have to keep in mind. Fort Worth is the most difficult city to deal with trying to save these buildings, instead of barging down there demanding the building be saved from demolition demand the city to give incentives for new development their.

Bottom line is if it doesn't generate money to support its restoration is wont be restored.

When I tried to buy the building I went to Dale Fissler (sp?) and went over my plan for the building, there can be no alcohol sales ever (zoning) so forget a pub or restaurant. There is no parking so forget lofts or even retail for that matter. The city requires the building brought up to current codes, elevator, modern lighting and energy codes etc. Frankly nothing but maybe offices could go there and even that would be difficult to get through the city.

By the way I have sold my buildings on Race st for this very reason and purchased historical buildings in Hubbard city and Galveston... Hubbard welcomes developers to restore their buildings with open arms.. which is a nice change from race st.

You're right.

When you say "open arms," what do you mean? Financial incentives? Where is Hubbard City? What does Galveston do that Fort Worth doesn't?
WWSPFD?*

#118 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:24 PM

City of Hubbard. South of Milford between I-35 and I-45. Looks nice. Probably a good B&B town.

HUbbard on HoTx Online

#119 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE(DJASONMILLER @ Jul 4 2007, 11:28 PM) View Post

There is no parking so forget lofts or even retail for that matter.

Parking can always be remedied. Doesn't need a big lot for what I'd have in mind, anyway. smile.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing what TownSite will do with the building.

--

Kara B.

#120 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:37 PM

Sounds like a nice town, til you get to the bottom of the page. However, the great Tris Speaker did reside there. My younger bro got to work with his great grand daughter just last month in SA.

Open arms, as in allowing certain zoning restrictions ?
www.iheartfw.com

#121 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(GenE @ Jun 14 2007, 06:00 AM) View Post

Are ya'll at all famialiar with how Temple, Texas saved the facade of the old 5&10 store on their main street? This may have been done in other area's also, I don't know.

GenE

Finally getting the pics of the 5&10 in Temple, Texas. I hope this works.

http://www.flickr.co...57600716416549/

Well, there is the link anyway. I am going to have to search to find the instructions you guys gave me last time for posting actual pictures to the thread.

GenE

P.S. Maybe the above said instructions could be pinned somewhere, if they aren't already?

GBS

#122 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

If the Smith-Swinney Motor Co. building couldn't have been saved, a similar solution could have worked for the facade and then the site could have generated money as a parking lot. Please don't get me wrong, I would have rather seen the entire building restored, but if that doesn't happen, partial preservation is better than total demolition.

By the way, demoltion of the building with preservation and bracing of the facade was suggested as a last resort, and the reply by the owner was "they were not going to spend any more money on the property".

#123 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:49 PM

I drove by today, as I usually do every now and then, and saw the ol' "zoning change requested" sign. That's a good sign!
WWSPFD?*

#124 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:18 AM

The restoration/renovation of the building is on the Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission Meeting scheduled for Monday at 2:00 PM at the Fort Worth City Hall, 1000 Throckkmorton Street.

The developers are planning to add a recessed third floor and garages on the south side of the building.

#125 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 12:20 PM

Saw the signage too. Crossing fingers.
www.iheartfw.com

#126 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:29 AM

The building has been pulled from the voting agenda and has been relocated to the discussion agenda. In the discussion session, no public testimony is allowed. I guess the developers want to discuss this project with the Landmarks Commission before they present it for a vote.

#127 PPoole

PPoole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Oct 7 2007, 11:29 AM) View Post

The building has been pulled from the voting agenda and has been relocated to the discussion agenda. In the discussion session, no public testimony is allowed. I guess the developers want to discuss this project with the Landmarks Commission before they present it for a vote.

TownSite Company Development presented a design concept for a recessed 3rd. floor behind the parapet. Informal approval given by commission. Extra area needed for economics to come close to working. Still waiting for council action on rezoning to H Downtown zoning district. Delayed another 2 weeks. Adjacent church voiced parking concerns so working w/ Transportation and Public works to allow more on street parking. Will keep everyone posted on progress. Always unpredicted delays.

#128 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:54 AM

Revealed - the reborn Knights of Pythias Building. See http://fortwortholog...thias-building/

--

Kara B.

#129 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:35 PM

Not a perfect restoration but, one that makes economic sense, I guess. P Poole is to be congratulated. smile.gif

#130 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:23 PM

I had already seen the renderings from the packets that were distributed for the Landmarks Commission. Yes, this project involves the addition of a third floor, but I do believe that it is in keeping with the Secretary of the Interior's Guidelines for a preservation project. The addition of the third floor is out of compatible, but different materials, and is set back from the main facades of the original building. I'm sure Mr. Poole can give you more information about the project.

#131 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

Wow, what's taking so long, I wonder.
WWSPFD?*

#132 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (Fire-Eater @ Aug 7 2008, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, what's taking so long, I wonder.

TownSite's busy. They're part of Museum Place, and they've got several other upcoming projects along with this one. Give 'em time. smile.gif

--

Kara B.

#133 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:42 PM

Well, I'm sure they're busy. I'll go check tomorrow, but I don't think anything's been done to the building. Since last year another 12 months of "demolition by neglect" has occurred. I'm sure they'll get a Round Tuit, but I'm not sure how much longer this building can wait.
WWSPFD?*

#134 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:13 AM

I wouldn't worry about it - they may have already done a bit of stabilizing inside. The building's not in danger of falling down - I believe its condition was exaggerated by the old owner looking to tear it down.

--

Kara B.

#135 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:03 AM

On a side note the Hillside Apartments made me curious from this post so I went and checked them out Friday. What an odd development and location. I like them but was it zoned for this kind of housing as a restriction? I just can't believe a developer with that much land went with basically duplexes. With mid rise luxury residential popping up all around and looming overhead can this community last for long? How much are these units renting for? Don't get me wrong, I really like the buildings I'm just still scratching my head about them.

#136 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:04 AM

I believe the goal was to stay close to the scale of the neighborhood that had existed there previously.

--

Kara B.

#137 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:13 AM

Incidentally, Fire-Eater - you'll be happy to know that one of the delays in the KofP restoration is TownSite's currently in-progress restoration of pretty much the entirety of historic downtown Poly around Texas Wesleyan. Photos coming shortly. Very cool work going on.

--

Kara B.

#138 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:47 PM

Yes, Atomic Glee, I am very happy to hear that! It's a great neighborhood, ol' Poly. Such work should be a tremendous help to TWU!

Incidentally, I lived in Hillside for a year and loved it. Me and the Wiener Dogs would go outside and wave at AMTRAK every day. That was when the trains still blew their horns at the 4th Ave. crossing--YIKES! Thank goodness for the sound proofing on the west side of my building! Very nice digs, though, at a reasonable price. Downtown was in walking distance. I also like the Neo-Craftsman architecture.

WWSPFD?*

#139 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

Late evening shot of this old structure. (No, not my Mother-in-Law) On the East side of downtown.

Now I'm not really a roofer, but I suspect leaks on this thing. (Cropped view)

www.fortworthview.com

#140 Janna

Janna

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Mar 25 2009, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Late evening shot of this old structure. (No, not my Mother-in-Law) On the East side of downtown.

Now I'm not really a roofer, but I suspect leaks on this thing. (Cropped view)

Thanks for posting that picture........looks like my office roof needs a little attention too!!! smile.gif

#141 mschrief

mschrief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Anything related to Fort Worth.

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (Janna @ Jun 10 2007, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi..........I'm Janna from Hillside Apartments. I think it is great that you all are interested in the preservation of this building. I really feel that someone is going to need really deeeep pockets to keep this building from being torn down. As I told Kevin..........the owners were asking $300,000 for this building that is in horrible shape. I would really like to know some "inside scoop" on who these owners are and what they are thinking!!!! Believe me...........I would love to see it refurbished instead of having to look at a vacant lot everyday.

Wow...Janna! I lived at Hillside a couple of times, now living in Seattle. I remember the building, a real eye-sore. Too bad the family would demo the building and build a community playground or greenspace.

#142 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:14 PM

I'd rather have the building restored and in use than demolished for greenspace.

--

Kara B.

#143 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Mar 28 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd rather have the building restored and in use than demolished for greenspace.

Does this mean the planned restoration isn't going forward?

#144 PPoole

PPoole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (Keller Pirate @ Mar 29 2009, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Mar 28 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does this mean the planned restoration isn't going forward?

No we are not abandoning the historic redo. We are still moving forward albeit slower than we initially projected. Our next steps are to remove the shotgun house next to the Lodge building, after remediation. We will also secure and replace the missing plywood enclosure panels. We will paint up the exterior trim and leave the building in a better exterior condition while we wait for the downtown residential market to rebound. We have secured the needed historic approvals for the construction of 4 rowhouses inside the shell. We will be adding a third floor set back fron the current parapet on the existing roof. The interior will have exposed brick walls, exposed floor and supporting structure inserted within the enclosure walls and exposed spun HVAC duct. A true historic loft. The design we are working on will have 2 garage spaces connected to the units through an enclosed courtyard for each residence. We are looking forward to getting underway as soon as we can,but the lending climate for this use is a difficult one to secure. A construction loan is impossible without a number of presales. So we are still preserving the historic lodge building for an adaptive use we feel is its highest possible use for its new life.

#145 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the response, good to see you are taking care of the building.

#146 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

I see our esteemed Townsite voice has already spoken up, but I thought I'd add this shot of the little shotgun house with the new demolition notice in front of it:

--

Kara B.

#147 Miss E

Miss E

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

I really like that picture! Glad you were able to capture it before demolition!!!

look at that sign in the yard all entagled with the trees!!

#148 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (PPoole @ Apr 5 2009, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our next steps are to remove the shotgun house next to the Lodge building, after remediation. We will also secure and replace the missing plywood enclosure panels.

I noticed you said "remove" and not "demolish." It would be nice if the few remaining and scattered shotgun houses in Ft. Worth could be gathered together in one area, preserved, and put to some economic use. These buildings are historic even if they aren't grand and never had some exalted purpose other than to provide basic shelter.

The plans for the old lodge sound cool.

#149 PPoole

PPoole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (Prairie Pup @ Apr 6 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (PPoole @ Apr 5 2009, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our next steps are to remove the shotgun house next to the Lodge building, after remediation. We will also secure and replace the missing plywood enclosure panels.

I noticed you said "remove" and not "demolish." It would be nice if the few remaining and scattered shotgun houses in Ft. Worth could be gathered together in one area, preserved, and put to some economic use. These buildings are historic even if they aren't grand and never had some exalted purpose other than to provide basic shelter.

The plans for the old lodge sound cool.

We were unable to find a place or group to give the shotgun house for relocation. It also has asbestos and lead bases paint to contend with. We will be grading off the under brush to establish turf around the building as we demo. We will also be working with the Church and Hillside as we coordinate the work. Only wish the market would improve for downtown condos/townhouses.

#150 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:15 PM

Walked over to the historic Knights of Pythias Building this afternoon. A few pictures for your inspection.

Here again is that little shotgun house next door about to be demolished.

Similar to A/G's but current. (Post Springtime, barely visible.)

And the Knights of Pythias Building. (You gotta love this building.)

www.fortworthview.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users