63 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:40 PM

Last year this Bisnow article mentioned several hotels that were planned or U/C. One of them was a Canopy by Hilton, but there had been no news since. 

I got a tip on this website, which has a rendering listed as "Canopy Hilton Fort Worth". The rendering shows 17 floors of a brick structure, with a 4-floor glass "crown" on top. Looks a bit unusual, not really sure what that is. It's similar in size and shape to the Residence Inn proposal. Also similar to the Residence Inn, the lack of parking. There appears to be a restaurant at street level on the corner.

uyLbyqG.jpg

There is no location listed, but the buildings in the background look like the Hilton and Oncor buildings. There appears to be a park and alleyway to the right, and the building cantilevers over the alleyway. I would take a guess that this will be at the corner of 9th and Houston, where the federal savings and loan building currently stands. The land is owned by "915 HOUSTON LLC", which is related to Clay Mazur who recently bought the building in 2015. I'm pretty confident this is the site of the building in the rendering. 

#2 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:39 AM

So, if these projects are realized, it would mean back-to-back hotels on Houston...8th and and 9th Streets?

And there's this recent article in the New York Times about 23 new Hilton hotels planned for the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

https://www.nytimes....ton-austin.html

#3 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:09 AM

Last year this Bisnow article mentioned several hotels that were planned or U/C. One of them was a Canopy by Hilton, but there had been no news since. 

I got a tip on this website, which has a rendering listed as "Canopy Hilton Fort Worth". The rendering shows 17 floors of a brick structure, with a 4-floor glass "crown" on top. Looks a bit unusual, not really sure what that is. It's similar in size and shape to the Residence Inn proposal. Also similar to the Residence Inn, the lack of parking. There appears to be a restaurant at street level on the corner.

uyLbyqG.jpg

There is no location listed, but the buildings in the background look like the Hilton and Oncor buildings. There appears to be a park and alleyway to the right, and the building cantilevers over the alleyway. I would take a guess that this will be at the corner of 9th and Houston, where the federal savings and loan building currently stands. The land is owned by "915 HOUSTON LLC", which is related to Clay Mazur who recently bought the building in 2015. I'm pretty confident this is the site of the building in the rendering. 

I'd like this more if the crown was redesigned a bit. Everything else looks perfect.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

Jeriat, I think you are correct in assuming the location is at 9th and Houston.  The Oncor and Hilton (Hotel Texas) are in the background.

#5 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:17 AM

And there's this recent article in the New York Times about 23 new Hilton hotels planned for the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Of course those aren't all upscale Hilton hotels.  Some will be along the lines of Home2 Suites extended stay like the one on Bryant Irvin and I-20 which are promoted as "hip" and "cheap."

My blog: Doohickie

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:24 AM

Jeriat, I think you are correct in assuming the location is at 9th and Houston.  The Oncor and Hilton (Hotel Texas) are in the background.

Credit is rightfully due to Austin. 

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

I'm sorry.  Austin, I will give you full credit for figuring out the location of this new hotel.

#8 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

Give me this hotel and its crown too. IMO, the crown has the appropriate symmetry and proportion with the lower section of the building; and I assuming that the crown will be fully illuminated at night adding more badly needed illumination to the skyline.

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

So, if these projects are realized, it would mean back-to-back hotels on Houston...8th and and 9th Streets?...

Good observation. I thought initially that it was a new rendering for the proposed hotel on at 8th Street. They do look a little similar.

Curious about where is the parking for this second hotel?

#10 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

So, if these projects are realized, it would mean back-to-back hotels on Houston...8th and and 9th Streets?...

Good observation. I thought initially that it was a new rendering for the proposed hotel on at 8th Street. They do look a little similar.

Curious about where is the parking for this second hotel?
Nearly identical situations. Small existing building to be torn down, tall skinny structure to replace prior building, on the Southeast corner of the block, one block apart, without visible parking.

It's possible this is the same project and just a different rendering. I really don't know for sure. The bisnow article mentions two different hotels though.

#11 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

Now that I take a second look, does it seem a bit off...?

7fwPZnE.png

#12 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:25 PM

The right side of the building seems to extend over General Worth square a little. I'm thinking it may be a rendering error.

Overall, I'm not crazy about the crown, but I'm glad all the windows align vertically (unlike the Residence Inn proposal one block north).

-Dylan

#13 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

I see that now that you've pointed it out.  The right side definitely doesn't line up like the left side.

#14 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:16 PM

Now that I take a second look, does it seem a bit off...?

The right side of the building seems to extend over General Worth square a little. I'm thinking it may be a rendering error.

Overall, I'm not crazy about the crown, but I'm glad all the windows align vertically (unlike the Residence Inn proposal one block north).

I see that now that you've pointed it out.  The right side definitely doesn't line up like the left side.

Definition of the word "canopy" - an overhanging projection or covering, as a long canvas awning stretching from the doorway of a building to a curb.

Now note the number of canopies. :swg:

#15 JasnoDTX

JasnoDTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:32 PM

So, if these projects are realized, it would mean back-to-back hotels on Houston...8th and and 9th Streets?

https://www.nytimes....ton-austin.html

Awesome article. I love it when Texas is doing so well that even the NYT can't ignore it.

#16 JasnoDTX

JasnoDTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:33 PM

Love the design. It's kinda old and new in one.

#17 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:23 PM

Yes. Its could almost be an annex to the Hilton Hotel nearby; the look is that similar.

#18 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:29 AM

I guess and hope the Crown will light up and change color with events ? To me. It sorta looks like Pier One, and the new Frost Jetta crown. Fort Worth was known for our downtown light (Before Dallas) Maybe Fort Worth will be known for our crowns ? But I still rather have our tall buildings outlined in lights like in the past.

#19 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:46 AM

Fort Worth was known for our downtown light (Before Dallas)

It was?

7fwPZnE.png

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:40 PM

It was.  We used to have the Festival of Lights, where most of the downtown buildings with height were outlined in yellow lights.  The outlining of the skyline became a tourist attraction.  The tradition lasted until the weather events of the May 5, 1995 hailstorm, and finally the March 28, 2000 tornado destroyed all of the lights and the strings around the buildings.  For the most part, only the buildings that had the lighting systems built into them remained illuminated.  Here are a few photographs.  The first three are from the Jack White Collection.

xmaslites1.jpg

anotherlightedskyline.jpg

This last one, is a photograph that I took in 1986.

skyline-n-1986.jpg

#21 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:53 AM

Yeah, I always liked the outlines. Too bad it has been discontinued.

#22 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

When I saw that it was dying, I tried via my connections with Downtown Fort Worth, Inc. to get it revived.  This was before the widespread use of LEDs.  I was told that outlining the buildings was an old and antiquated way to illuminate them.  Even with the new technology and they were too expensive to replace if another hailstorm came through.  I would guess that they are still prone to damage by the weather, even if LED lighting is used.

#23 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

Personally, I think outlining looks good on certain buildings, but that's just me.

Would be nice to see more lighting than we have now, though.

7fwPZnE.png

#24 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

Personally, I think outlining looks good on certain buildings, but that's just me...Would be nice to see more lighting than we have now, though.

I just thinking the same.  The best outlining goes to the west elevation of Burnett Plaza at night; however that same elevation needs something added to it at day.  A decorative facade to cover the blank concrete walls.

#25 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

Personally, I think outlining looks good on certain buildings, but that's just me...Would be nice to see more lighting than we have now, though.

I just thinking the same.  The best outlining goes to the west elevation of Burnett Tower.

It's the only thing I even remotely like about that building.

7fwPZnE.png

#26 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

Yes. Its could almost be an annex to the Hilton Hotel nearby; the look is that similar.

I would have liked it at that location better.

#27 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

Where is this location that you would prefer over Houston @ 10th?

#28 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:31 PM

Where is this location that you would prefer over Houston @ 10th?
Where the Hilton Annex is... commerce @ 8th

mainly due to the fact that the proposed 25 floor Residence Inn is a block away

#29 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:59 PM

I thought that is where you were thinking.  However, the Hilton Hotel Annex is a structurally sound building, with an interesting history, that is currently being rehabilitated.

#30 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:29 PM

Is there information that might suggest that Fort Worth Hilton and Fort Worth Canopy will be affiliates?

What prompted my making the observation of the similarity of FWC to FWH, besides the reddish brick, is the crown on FWC.  There was a time when the FWH illuminated its roof top crown.  The FWC even has a frieze-like canopy that is reminiscent of one atop FWH.

#31 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

There is pretty much no information at all besides the brand, that rendering, and that it will be near the convention center.

#32 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:31 AM

There is pretty much no information at all besides the brand, that rendering, and that it will be near the convention center.

Just a pair of wild guesses, but if FWCH and FWH were someway affiliated, then it may be an explanation about parking - could both share the current or an expanded underground parking?  Is 950 Commerce Street likely to be the next target for additional parking?

Moncrief Building (950 Commerce) is ugly both it is in the driver's seat when it comes to location- location- location.

#33 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

When I saw that it was dying, I tried via my connections with Downtown Fort Worth, Inc. to get it revived.  This was before the widespread use of LEDs.  I was told that outlining the buildings was an old and antiquated way to illuminate them.  Even with the new technology and they were too expensive to replace if another hailstorm came through.  I would guess that they are still prone to damage by the weather, even if LED lighting is used.

I know Mr. Roberts you don't like to get off the subject. Being I am the one who started it. But I must point out Downtown Dallas also has hail storms. And yet they keep outlining buildings with LED lights ? Look what Dallas did with the whole BOA building from a one color green to a endless changing color building. And am sure over the decades Downtown Fort Worth has had many hail storms yet we still had our downtown light for years. So I question the explanation they gave you as a good reason not to do it anymore ? Being antiquated, too expensive even with modern LEDs ? Organizations change. So maybe we ought to try again ? It should not be on your to get this started again. But I thank you for trying last time. Everyone here needs to contact Mayors office and DT Fort Worth Inc. I know I will. Heck I even have a business card from DTFW Inc. for when they has a neighborhood meeting about Samules Av. So it seems they do want feedback. 

#34 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

I thought that is where you were thinking.  However, the Hilton Hotel Annex is a structurally sound building, with an interesting history, that is currently being rehabilitated.

Yeah I wasn't aware of it's history and I know it's being renovated, but it's not a very attractive building. Well we can keep it then in my fantasy scenario and maybe put the thin Hilton Canopy building on the parking lot next to the Billy Miner's restaurant building instead and have it face commerce.
:)

#35 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

But I must point out Downtown Dallas also has hail storms. And yet they keep outlining buildings with LED lights ? Look what Dallas did with the whole BOA building from a one color green to a endless changing color building. And am sure over the decades Downtown Fort Worth has had many hail storms yet we still had our downtown light for years. So I question the explanation they gave you as a good reason not to do it anymore ?

The 1995 hail storm and the 2000 tornado that heavily damaged building lights were extraordinary weather events and I don't believe that Downtown Dallas has ever been subject to storms of that magnitude. Not replacing the lights was a business decision. There's no logical business rationale for lighting the buildings. It's strictly a PR move. That being said, there are still a large number of buildings in the skyline that are lit. None as elaborately as Bank of America, the Omni Dallas, or Reunion Tower, but Fort Worth is far from dark.

#36 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

Yeah I wasn't aware of it's history and I know it's being renovated, but it's not a very attractive building. Well we can keep it then in my fantasy scenario and maybe put the thin Hilton Canopy building on the parking lot next to the Billy Miner's restaurant building instead and have it face commerce. :)

It is safe to say that the availability of a parcel of land is unknown unless it is being marketed as such; and too, the price of land is variable; has legal entanglements; and simply may not be a fit to the preferred design. Does "Cleopatra come to your mind?"

Houston @ 10th, evidently, meet the criteria of the developer.  The market is determining the location; and I am perfectly satisfied with that happening. 

I praise whoever for the coming of age of Fort Worth's hotel and tourism market as it is what we have needed for a long time.

• JBB likes this

#37 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

Yeah I wasn't aware of it's history and I know it's being renovated, but it's not a very attractive building. Well we can keep it then in my fantasy scenario and maybe put the thin Hilton Canopy building on the parking lot next to the Billy Miner's restaurant building instead and have it face commerce. :)

It is safe to say that the availability of a parcel of land is unknown unless it is being marketed as such; and too, the price of land is variable; has legal entanglements; and simply may not be a fit to the preferred design. Does "Cleopatra come to your mind?"

Houston @ 10th, evidently, meet the criteria of the developer.  The market is determining the location; and I am perfectly satisfied with that happening. 

I praise whoever for the coming of age of Fort Worth's hotel and tourism market as it is what we have needed for a long time.

I think the building would look great complementing the Hilton (Texas Hotel) but it is just a fantasy scenario. I do know that it was proposed for 9th @ Houston and I'm totally ok with it happening there. Actually Houston street will have a bit of a increase of it's vertical sight line if both buildings proposed for Houston come to fruition.

#38 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:45 PM

Unfortunately, the annex bacame a hideous eyesore during its previous renovation, and will remain so after this renovation.

-Dylan

#39 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:35 PM

The building was sold at some point. The new owners are "FTW BLU HOTELS, LLC", which pretty much confirms a hotel. The LLC was registered in August last year. The address is a home in Irving which has several hotel chains attached to it. 

Blu is a hotel chain in Italy, but there are no locations in the United States as far as I can tell. More likely this is a branch of Radison, who operate a subchain called Blu.

#40 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:17 AM

Oh snap! 

We have a permit filed, but not one that tells us much. It's a Right of Way encroachment permit. Danny Patel is the applicant, no architect is listed.

https://accela.fortw...&agencyCode=CFW

Description of Work: 1) Column will encroach 8 feet into the sidewalk along W 9th Street and the building will cantilever

beginning at 16 feet above grade.
2) Column will encroach 5 feet into the alley and the building will cantilever beginning at 16 feet above grade

The exciting news - sounds like this is happening sooner than later. So far this is the only permit filed for this address, no demolition permits for the existing building yet. The description of the cantilever sounds like the rendering in the first screen, but I've got to wonder if the design has changed over time.

#41 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

This is great news. I’m hoping we get to see a better rendering soon and maybe this will put a fire under our city leaders to get moving with the new convention center.

#42 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 06:30 PM

The document Austin found lists the Canopy hotel in the planning stage, no opening date yet. Assuming 2021 or later based on the rest of the list.

In the most recent Hunden Partners convention center study was this little list ...

pd7RiDH.png

#43 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 06:39 PM

There has been two projects proposed for this location; a restaurant/bar and the Canopy Hotel.

Which one of the two will actually come about at this location: Houston Street @9th Street?

#44 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:27 PM

I hope there's a different design, tbh.

7fwPZnE.png

#45 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 12:03 AM

I read that there is some dissatisfaction with the proposed crown to the Canopy Hotel.  I think an illuminated crown will be a great topping for the hotel.  I refer you to the Pier One Tower -

....The crown of the building is absolutely beautiful and with the lights aiming upward, there is a shaft of light above the building....

Below is a shot with the reflection of Pier 1 Place in the Trinity River:
p1-crown-refl.jpg

This is a shot from the levee of the river taken at the same vantage point as the rendering:
p1-crown1.jpg

#46 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:46 AM

Does anyone on the forum know or recall if there was a brouhaha/kerfuffle about the Pier 1/Chesapeake building getting its lighted crown when initially proposed?

#47 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:05 AM

Not that I remember.

#48 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:32 AM

I'm really not sure that the design from first post is actually what would happen. 

#49 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:43 AM

I'm really not sure that the design from first post is actually what would happen. 

Yes, I can believe that is simply a prototype.

Both it and Residence Inn in the planning stage now have a "meeting" space problem; and  this problem is the reason I believe that  the Fort Worth Public Market should be given consideration by one or both to serve as a meeting/banquet space.

#50 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:39 PM

Per the URL in these renderings on the architects website, they are form June 2020.

oYU5Pil.jpg

pmBmdDY.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Hot, hotels, convention center, fort worth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users