Photo
- - - - -

New development proposed on Camp Bowie at Gingerman location?

North Hi Mount Mixed Use Arlington Heights Camp Bowie Blvd. Gingerman

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:50 PM

Has anyone heard of this?

http://nhmna.com/news.html

The North Hi Mount Neighborhood Assoc. is calling for a vote to "oppose/or not oppose."  Why should it be opposed?

#2 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:55 AM

Has anyone heard of this?

http://nhmna.com/news.html

The North Hi Mount Neighborhood Assoc. is calling for a vote to "oppose/or not oppose."  Why should it be opposed?

Who's doing the development...did I miss that?

Obviously the ideal situation is structured parking behind the new buildings, so it seems like a waste that 2/3 of the property will be surface parking.  But the proposed setup clearly seems better than the current abandoned lots.

#3 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

Obviously the ideal situation is structured parking behind the new buildings, so it seems like a waste that 2/3 of the property will be surface parking.  But the proposed setup clearly seems better than the current abandoned lots.

I don't think that everywhere has to have buildings right up to the sidewalks like a downtown.  Camp Bowie is a boulevard and a little space works for me instead of a crowded look and feel...

#4 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

I don't think that everywhere has to have buildings right up to the sidewalks like a downtown.  Camp Bowie is a boulevard and a little space works for me instead of a crowded look and feel...

I actually like the idea of pull-in parking on Camp Bowie (like they have in the Museum Place development).  But I'm not talking about that...I'm talking about the huge parking lot that makes up the Eastern portion of their rendering.  Structured parking for overflow (again, like Museum Place) is ideal.

#5 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts
  • Interests:Writing, music, photography, games, sci-fi.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

Thing is, buildings right up on the sidewalks is not "like a downtown," it's "like any sized retail area that wants to generate pedestrian traffic."  It's like any small neighborhood retail centers of the past that aren't designed for cars first.  As Camp Bowie goes into the future it's smart to readapt it to be accommodating of multiple kinds of traffic, not just cars.  Bringing the buildings up to the sidewalk to engage people on foot and not leave the streetscape an uninviting area of parking lots and traffic is part of that.

- Architecture/urban planning/transit blogger, Fort Worth Weekly

Fort Worth District 9 Zoning Commissioner

#6 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

Thing is, buildings right up on the sidewalks is not "like a downtown," it's "like any sized retail area that wants to generate pedestrian traffic." ...

Totes. Regardless of your views on "new urbanism" and regardless of what worked in the past - moving your storefronts closer to the streets increases your visibility to people who are just walking, pedaling or driving by. The farther away you are from the traffic, the less opportunities for chance encounters that can lead to sales. Having your product visible from the sidewalk and street can be more effective than signage. Perhaps even more effective than hiring a teenager in a gorilla suit to dance around on the sidewalk trying to wave people into your vast parking lot.

And it seems likely having some density of that in one area would increase the level of engagement.

#7 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

And the thing too is that Camp Bowie Boulevard has really three characteristics: a quiet, more peaceful section from University to the West Freeway; a more upscale section from the West Freeway to Alta Mere; and then a "wild west" section from Alta Mere to Jim Wright Freeway and beyond.

I feel and therefore agree with those who also feel development in the brick-layed section of Camp Bowie should have overflow parking"invisble" from the frontage which could developed into a "Rodeo Blvd (LA)" feel about it.

I think the developer and future developers may be squandering some retail opportunities by designatings so much land use to surface parking.

Fort Worth over everyone.

#8 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

That would be a sad result for the Gingerman.

#9 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

It looks like they are planning to add on to what's left of the old church building, so they are locked to that end of the property for building.  Probably no the budget to do any more...

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,749 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

The North Hi Mount Neighborhood Association page that is linked stated that they planned to demolish what is left of the church and build a 4-5 story building in its place.

#11 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

#12 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

I would like to vehmently reiterate what 'Now in Denton' posted on 07 Dec 2013:

#13 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

Looks like it's now two story bank without drive thru. http://fortworthtexa...ket.pdf?rev=312

#14 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:02 PM

I can't find the diagram anymore, but I seem to remember that an earlier design included taking over the gingerman lot too and putting gingerman in one of the new buildings.

#15 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:11 PM

Drove by this today.  That old church building has been completely demolished.  Flattened dirt in its place.

#16 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:40 PM

I noticed a new sign out in front of this site as I drove by.  Looked like it had a rendering on it, but I didn't get a good look at it.

#17 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

Does it look like this by chance?

5NE6jWL.jpg

nveznUW.jpg

#18 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

Does it look like this by chance?

nveznUW.jpg

Drove by again today, and slowed down to look.  The image on the sign on site looks like the building in the background of the image you posted, but without the one in the foreground.

#19 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:12 PM

The building in the foreground is where Gingerman is now, so hopefully it will stay but the vacant land will be developed. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: North Hi Mount, Mixed Use, Arlington Heights, Camp Bowie Blvd., Gingerman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users