• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:31 AM

I posted about this site in the "ideas and suggestions for new projects" forum last year (LINK), but with some new intel I think the commercial forum may be the most appropriate for this topic moving forward.   

The site includes a former grocery store (most recently, a Kroger) that has been vacant for years, and a small Conoco station on the corner of Camp Bowie & Clayton Road, about a half-mile east of the new dog park at Z Boaz.

Recently, the sign out front of the property changed to reflect that Fort Worth-based Woodcrest Brokerage Services is now representing the property.  My wife asked the man at the Conoco station about it, and he told her that both he and the owners of the abandoned store had sold for terms that were extremely pleasing to him.  He said the new owners were looking to develop the property with retail and restaurant options. 

I drive by this site just about every day, so I'll keep an eye out for any changes/signs of progress.

#2 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:53 AM

Thanks.  I've been wondering if that vacant building would ever be re-occupied.  I live not too far from there.  Is there a problem with its particular location?  Long time ago, I believe, this was a Clarks Department Store and then a Target store, then later Kroger, none of whom apparently liked staying at this spot.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,070 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:36 AM

Thank you for the information.  I had noticed the sign had changed, and I also know the guy at the gas station.  However, I had not been in to visit with him since the sign had changed.  I work in the area now.  Back in November of 2011, our firm relocated our offices to the old Levitz Warehouse.  I drive down this stretch of Camp Bowie nearly every day.  Back in the other topic under "Ideas and Suggestions for Projects", I gave a brief history of the site.  I will repeat it below.

It was the site of the old Western Hills Hotel, which occupied the entire block.  It burned in September 1969 and was demolished in 1970.  The old grocery store was built shortly thereafter for a Skaggs Albertsons Food & Drug Center.  It was later Skaggs Alpha Beta, Skaggs, Jewel-Osco, back to Albertson's, then Max, Winn-Dixie, and finally Kroger.  I also bet that I've missed a few names, as well.  All of the buildings in that block on the Camp Bowie side are the result of redevelopment of the old hotel site. 

The old Cook's and Clark's Department Stores once occupied the eastern portion of the center where the Tom Thumb is currently located.  The old department store was demolished to build the current Tom Thumb.  Crystal's Pizza also used to be located in the portion of the building that was demolished.  Even though I grew up on the South Side of the city, my family spent many weekends shopping along Camp Bowie.

#4 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:46 AM

There is a private Montessori school on Clayton Road that currently uses the lot for parking.  It will be interesting to see if that function is taken into account/protected at all by the new owners and development.  

#5 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:36 PM

good news!!!

#6 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:36 AM

Thank you for the information.  I had noticed the sign had changed, and I also know the guy at the gas station.  However, I had not been in to visit with him since the sign had changed.  I work in the area now.  Back in November of 2011, our firm relocated our offices to the old Levitz Warehouse.  I drive down this stretch of Camp Bowie nearly every day.  Back in the other topic under "Ideas and Suggestions for Projects", I gave a brief history of the site.  I will repeat it below.

It was the site of the old Western Hills Hotel, which occupied the entire block.  It burned in September 1969 and was demolished in 1970.  The old grocery store was built shortly thereafter for a Skaggs Albertsons Food & Drug Center.  It was later Skaggs Alpha Beta, Skaggs, Jewel-Osco, back to Albertson's, then Max, Winn-Dixie, and finally Kroger.  I also bet that I've missed a few names, as well.  All of the buildings in that block on the Camp Bowie side are the result of redevelopment of the old hotel site. 

The old Cook's and Clark's Department Stores once occupied the eastern portion of the center where the Tom Thumb is currently located.  The old department store was demolished to build the current Tom Thumb.  Crystal's Pizza also used to be located in the portion of the building that was demolished.  Even though I grew up on the South Side of the city, my family spent many weekends shopping along Camp Bowie.

Thanks for refreshing my memory about where Clark's Department Store used to be (I get some of these shopping centers mixed up in my childhood memories.).

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,070 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:49 PM

You're welcome.  I did some checking and in the effort of trying to be accurate, only about one half of the old department store was demolished to build Tom Thumb.  Between the time Clark's closed and the Tom Thumb was added, the center was remodeled,  This is when Crystal's occupied part of the old department store.  What is left of the old store now houses Stein Mart, Sally Beauty Supply, and part of Goody Goody Liquor, along with Tuesday Morning in the basement. 

#8 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:36 PM

I drove by this site earlier this evening.  The gas station appears to be closed down.

#9 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:48 PM

There is a construction fence up around the gas station, and what I thought were demolition crews working on it.

Then this afternoon, I heard a rumor that it is being converted into a RaceTrac, and that the bigger building is being looked at by German grocery chain Lidl as part of their planned US expansion.  

#10 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:25 AM

A RaceTrac representative met with the Ridglea Hills Neighborhood Association last night.  Here are some bullet points from their presentation:

• They met with Camp Bowie Inc.

• Came in with a conventional plan with pumps on Camp Bowie, but then modified those plans to look more inviting by
-Having an enclosed patio facing Camp Bowie with roll-up glass garage doors
-The 8 dispensers (16 fueling stations) will face the interior
• He emphasized that there will be nice architecture and that they have fresh food and great coffee (the coffee is available 24/7 to uniformed police officers)
• The store will be open 24/7 and sell beer and wine. It will be well-lit, but won’t interfere with the neighborhood
• Signage will be a monument sign
• They are under contract now and look to build starting the 3rd quarter of 2017
• There will be a wide sidewalk, trees, shrubs and a pedestrian friendly area

Here's a link to the meeting's minutes, which also included a QT rep discussing their proposed project at Camp Bowie & Westridge

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,070 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:07 PM

The case for the RaceTrac is going before the Urban Design Commission on Thursday:

UDC-16-35 6495 Camp Bowie Blvd     Camp Bowie Owner/Agent: RaceTrac/Jarod Cox Request approval of a commercial building with waivers from parking lot location, elevation requirements.

#12 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

I live in Ridglea Hills, and we've been told the Racetrac/Lidl information as well. While I'm not wild about yet another gas station, just about anything is better than a vacant building at this point. I am excited about the possibility of Lidl, though!

#13 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

The old gas station is completely gone now.

#14 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:03 AM

An update.  Construction has started at this site.  I believe a new restaurant. But someone correct me if that is not the case.

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,070 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:42 AM

I thought is was still a RaceTrac.  I work right down the street in the old Levitz Warehouse, and I drive down that stretch of Camp Bowie almost every day.  I thought the rendering that had been posted on the site had a gas station on it.  I will try to take a look this evening on my way to an AIA meeting.

#16 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

It is still a RaceTrac.  They have a sign on the corner with a rendering.

#17 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

An update.  Construction has started at this site.  I believe a new restaurant. But someone correct me if that is not the case.

It is still a RaceTrac.  They have a sign on the corner with a rendering.

RaceTrac serves food, right?  :ninja:

• JBB likes this
My blog: Doohickie

#18 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:56 PM

If roller grill snacks qualify as "food", yes.

#19 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:54 PM

:D

I haven't been in a RaceTrac lately but I know QT actually has a grill and a live cook in addition to the roller grills.

My blog: Doohickie

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,070 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:42 PM

I thought the RaceTrac rendering was still on the corner, and I can also verify that it is still there.  So, I would assume that Racetrac is still building their gas station/convenience store at that location.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ridglea

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users