226 replies to this topic

#51 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:44 PM

Maybe because I'm *not* from around here, I don't see what the big deal is.  Dallas is the largest city in the region.  If you're referring to the region in general, you can say Dallas and everyone knows kind of what you mean.  If you say Fort Worth, people kind of look at you sideways and ask where that is.  Dallas is the easiest way to say "somewhere in North Texas" that the outside world understands.  Sure it's an interesting rivalry within the region, but it's not worth getting into a snit because the rest of the world isn't quite sure where Ft Worth is.

This mindset is part of the reason why people incorrectly think of Fort Worth as a satellite or a suburb.

-Dylan

#52 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:07 AM

I don't understand why that's so bad. Dallas is a pretty great city. What's so awful about being the biggest, most urban suburb of a nice city like Dallas?

What's the big final outcome of getting "Fort Worth" on the weather map supposed to be? Someone in Grand Rapids or Boise that's watching Good Morning America ignores the weather here just like they do when it only read "Dallas"? Facebook picks up from Palo Alto and moves the whole company here instead of just the data center? Toyota realizes their mistake and builds a 90 story headquarter on the old Landmark site? World peace?

Dare I risk being accused of being a dirty suburbanite or, even worse, from Dallas (*gulp*) and suggest that losing even a second of sleep over distinguishing ourselves from the city to the east is a first-world problem that smells an awful lot like an inferiority complex? Maybe. There are just a lot more interesting and important things going on in Fort Worth than a label on a weather map or getting called out correctly on CNN or ESPN.

#53 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:37 AM

Please don't groan, because there is some factual basis for paranoia. All during the continuing rainy season, we've been informed that Dallas gets severe thunderstorms with hail, high winds, tornadoes, and flooding. That is true, but just once, can't the national news media acknowledge that Fort Worth gets its share of miserable weather? If weather maps can include the names Abilene, Brownsville, even Omaha, why can't a national weather map--just once in a blue moon--read "Fort Worth-Dallas.." Surely that name isn't too long to fit on a map. Why bother? Because the National Weather Service is located in Fort Worth, not Dallas.

When I was in Miami last January, I saw a weather map with a "Dallas-Fort Worth" label:

CAM00261.jpg

So it can be done, but it looks a little awkward with large text.

----------------------------------

On The Weather Channel, some city labels are to the left or right of large black dots. I would like to see what a map looks like with two dots over DFW: "Dallas" to the right of the two dots and "Fort Worth" to the left of the two dots.

-Dylan

#54 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:47 AM

DFW seems the best honestly. If nothing else its because its just 3 letters. 

That map also has plenty of other things missing, San Fran, Houston, etc etc. Its tought to judge on a single map. 

#55 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:56 AM

I don't understand why that's so bad. Dallas is a pretty great city. What's so awful about being the biggest, most urban suburb of a nice city like Dallas?

What's the big final outcome of getting "Fort Worth" on the weather map supposed to be? Someone in Grand Rapids or Boise that's watching Good Morning America ignores the weather here just like they do when it only read "Dallas"? Facebook picks up from Palo Alto and moves the whole company here instead of just the data center? Toyota realizes their mistake and builds a 90 story headquarter on the old Landmark site? World peace?

Dare I risk being accused of being a dirty suburbanite or, even worse, from Dallas (*gulp*) and suggest that losing even a second of sleep over distinguishing ourselves from the city to the east is a first-world problem that smells an awful lot like an inferiority complex? Maybe. There are just a lot more interesting and important things going on in Fort Worth than a label on a weather map or getting called out correctly on CNN or ESPN.

There's nothing wrong with living in a giant suburb of a nice city like Dallas (Arlington, Plano, Garland, Irving, etc.) if that's what you like.

Fort Worth earned major city status in the early 20th century when it developed a large central business district. If Fort Worth didn't act like a major city in the early 20th century, it would probably look similar to Weatherford, Cleburne, Denton, or other nearby county anchors.

-Dylan

#56 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:19 AM

This mindset is part of the reason why people incorrectly think of Fort Worth as a satellite or a suburb.

But it's pretty much the way the world views this little part of heaven.
My blog: Doohickie

#57 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:22 AM

I'm quite sure there are people in St. Paul with the same concerns.

#58 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:51 AM

There have been and continue to be institutional entities (federal, professional sport leagues, media groups, etc.) that for their own economic conveniences "shotgun" Fort Worth and Dallas into a regional marriage.  By in large, the fault of this is neither that of Fort Worth or of Dallas.  So what is actually occurring? When you put together two sects, you have the recipe for sectarian unrest if there is one or the other sect feels or exerts a soft form of imperialism:

..."the term imperialism draws attention to the way that one country exercises power over another, whether through settlement, sovereignty, or indirect mechanisms of control"Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

The world today, as it has in the past, is in turmoil because of the universally despised action of imperialism.

I would never suggest that North Texas is on the verge of a "hot war", but there has been and there will likely remain a robust "cold war" mentality between Fort Worth and Dallas.  It is probably easier to brand it as "don't thread on me".

In the matter of Fort Worth v Dallas, even though it maybe easier for labeling purposes to just say "Dallas", it does not give the proper credit to a self sustaining city like ours when one considers the economic ramification that comes when there is competition for a corporation that is making a decision to select a new place to build or relocate it operations.

The term "suburb" is a benign way to refer to colonialism; in fact, there is actually a suburb in North Texas that is proud to be known as "The Colony".  Fort Worth is not a colony of Dallas; and it is not nice or correct to be thought of in that way, however one may want to parse it.  IMO, it is the duty of the citizens who love and call Fort Worth home to educate the "world" that Dallas may be near by, but that Fort Worth is not a part of or a satellite of Dallas.  Remind them that on November 22, 1963, JFK actually flew into Dallas from Fort Worth - (Think about that)

Historically and politically, Fort Worth has resisted the deep seeded tendency of its larger neighbor to behave in an imperialist way, whether that behavior is intentional or not - (Think Love Field). I am one of those native born citizens who will always resist accepting the easier way in favor of doing the harder way of "setting the record straight".

Fort Worth over everybody!

#59 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:57 AM

That's an awful lot of big words and hyperbole for something that 99.9999999999% of the residents of Fort Worth could care less about. "Sectarian unrest"? "Imperialism"? "Cold war mentality"? "Colonialism"? If you can type all of that with a straight face, more power to you. Life is too short to get that worked up over something so inconsequential and care that much about what other people from outside of this area think.

#60 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:02 AM

I don't understand why that's so bad. Dallas is a pretty great city. What's so awful about being the biggest, most urban suburb of a nice city like Dallas?...distinguishing ourselves from the city to the east is a first-world problem that smells an awful lot like an inferiority complex?

Or perhaps a lot like the "Stockholm Syndrome" when one loves their abusive captor and sees no harm it that.

#61 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:07 AM

Are.you.freaking.kidding.me? Do you read this stuff before you post it? Why don't you go ahead and jump headfirst into the hyperbole pool and compare Dallas to ISIS?

I would almost say that you're being a little insensitive toward victims of forced abduction.

#62 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:26 AM

Are.you.freaking.kidding.me? Do you read this stuff before you post it? Why don't you go ahead and jump headfirst into the hyperbole pool and compare Dallas to ISIS?

I would almost say that you're being a little insensitive toward victims of forced abduction.

Just replying as it seemed to be an appropriate response to the remark of "inferiority complex", which was the first hyperbolic remark to be made (post#52). 

Do you know for a fact that 99.99999999% of Fort Worth residents could care less?

• JBB likes this

#63 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:29 AM

Touche. You got me there. This is the part where I realize I'm getting worked up over something I'm claiming that I don't care about.

#64 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:21 AM

Touche. You got me there. This is the part where I realize I'm getting worked up over something I'm claiming that I don't care about.

In all honesty, I agree with your realization. 

If there is 1.9999999999% of Fort Worth residents who care about the image of and the recognition for our city, you will find them in this Forum.  You may not be aware of it, but there is a forum for Dallas where its residents can express their love for their town; can keep alive their perceived 245-miles rivalry with Houston or can perpetuate the notion of Fort Worth being a satellite of Dallas without being accused of being too sensitive.

I have learned to coexist psychologically with our neighbor to the east, as I imagine towns and nations do around the world. But that does not mean Fort Worth should surrender its rightful place and identity as a sovereign city in itself.  

In the best of my ability to explain the psychological behavior entrenched between Fort Worth v Dallas and vice versa, I never meant to imply that Dallas is evil.  Simply put, explaining how it is understandable to me that the citizens of Fort Worth would and should want to stand up for their town seems natural..  After all, if one is not willing to stand up for oneself, then how can one expect others to do so?

Fort Worth over everyone!

#65 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:09 AM

I have learned to coexist with our neighbor to the east, as I imagine towns and nations do around the world. But that does not mean Fort Worth should surrender its rightful place and identity as a sovereign city in itself.

You keep using this "sovereign" word. Sure, Dallas will seek to maintain and expand its sphere of influence; cities do that. About the only aspect of "sovereignty" that I'm worried about with respect to Dallas is securing an adequate supply of water for our city; that's the only area that I'm kind of worried that Dallas is trying to undercut Fort Worth.

But I think Fort Worth does a lot of things in the name of sovereignty or independence (or really, simple pride) that hurts the city. By insisting we are a separate entity from Dallas we resist tapping into resources that could improve Fort Worth. For instance, why should The T be independent of DART?

And you can stamp up and down all you want about how great FtW is and why we need to keep our "sovereignty" intact and apart from Dallas, but for generations people from outside this region think of Ft Worth first as "a city somewhere near Dallas." It's not a knock against Fort Worth; it's more of a geographical association and nothing more. Most people don't keep a detailed geography of every state in their head, but they may have some idea where the largest cities are in each state. By being close to Dallas, outsiders think of Dallas first, then mentally tie it to Ft Worth. So if you want to think about it that way, Dallas is simply a gateway to Ft Worth.

...and that's getting old real fast. It wreaks of the tribalism that you seem to find so offensive in Dallas.

#66 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

... Sure, Dallas will seek to maintain and expand its sphere of influence; cities do that.

...By insisting we are a separate entity from Dallas we resist tapping into resources that could improve Fort Worth....

....but for generations people from outside this region think of Ft Worth first as "a city somewhere near Dallas...... Most people don't keep a detailed geography of every state in their head... By being close to Dallas, outsiders think of Dallas first, then mentally tie it to Ft Worth. So if you want to think about it that way, Dallas is simply a gateway to Ft Worth.

...and that's getting old real fast. It wreaks of the tribalism that you seem to find so offensive in Dallas.

So these are some points that need addressing:

#1 - That Dallas may be seeking to maintain and expand its influence is the essence of this blog; is it not?; and that comment goes a long way in validating why it is a reasonable reaction on the part of an adjacent city, like Fort Worth,  to resist influences that are not wanted, sought after or marginalizes it as a stand alone community.

#2 - Fort Worth is a separate entity; an indisputable fact.  Insisting that it is, is merely educating the uninformed of that reality. 

#3 - While it may be infinitely easier to resign oneself to accepting what "outsiders" think Fort Worth or what they do not know about Fort Worth; its just as true to accept that generations of "insiders", beginning from the founders of our city and until today,  have not only thought of but have known that Fort Worth is and always has been a separate entity v Dallas.  It is, after all, what one thinks of oneself that makes one a better and healthier being and that which is infinitely more important.

# 4 - Perhaps there should be a thread to discuss the resources that improves Fort Worth and that are directly attributable to Dallas.  I am anxious for a debate.

# 5 - "tribalism", a term that I don't recall introducing as a direct description for Dallas, but in point #1, if Dallas is a city, and if all cities do what has been alleged, than there is tribalism on both parts. While I am able to point to signs characteristic of tribalism , it is actually not offensive to me; rather it is a challenge that I don't mind to be pointed out when appropriate. So simply to think that Fort Worth is being paranoid and has a "complex" just because it is reacting in a rational way to the civic imperialism from a neighbor is not a fair assessment..

#6 - Expressing a sentiment, when and should I choose to do so, is a right that I hope is respected as long as such sentiment does not violate rules and words that cross the standards of civility  -

"Fort Worth over everybody".

#67 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

ABC news just shared the current police chase, in the original post they had said Dallas but quickly changed it back. 

#68 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:19 PM

That's a "street-facing giant wall of awfulness". :ninja:

#69 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

Doohickie

[SNIP]

But I think Fort Worth does a lot of things in the name of sovereignty or independence (or really, simple pride) that hurts the city. By insisting we are a separate entity from Dallas we resist tapping into resources that could improve Fort Worth. For instance, why should The T be independent of DART?

And you can stamp up and down all you want about how great FtW is and why we need to keep our "sovereignty" intact and apart from Dallas, but for generations people from outside this region think of Ft Worth first as "a city somewhere near Dallas." It's not a knock against Fort Worth; it's more of a geographical association and nothing more. Most people don't keep a detailed geography of every state in their head, but they may have some idea where the largest cities are in each state. By being close to Dallas, outsiders think of Dallas first, then mentally tie it to Ft Worth. So if you want to think about it that way, Dallas is simply a gateway to Ft Worth.

[SNIP]

Here's why our image is a problem: Businesses, tourists, and developers that are looking for a large metro anchor can easily fail to consider Fort Worth despite considering the other metro anchor in close proximity (Dallas).

If we want Fort Worth to continue to become more urban, we need to accept that Fort Worth is a major city and promote it as the major city that it is.

As I said in a previous post, Fort Worth would not have a large central business district or surrounding urban neighborhoods today if it didn't act like a major city in the early 20th century.

-------------------------------------------

We need people to recognise that Fort Worth is not an extention of Dallas, but rather its own major city that happens to be in close proximity to Dallas.

-Dylan

#70 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

I wasn't aware that people of influence in Fort Worth aren't promoting the city as a major city. Is that an actual problem or just something that's being dreamed up because Al Roker can't point to Fort Worth on his map?

#71 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:29 PM

If we want Fort Worth to continue to become more urban, we need to accept that Fort Worth is a major city and promote it as the major city that it is.

I wasn't aware that people of influence in Fort Worth aren't promoting the city as a major city. Is that an actual problem or just something that's being dreamed up because Al Roker can't point to Fort Worth on his map?

I am pretty certain that the term "to promote" in this context is being used in the collective we; and that does include the people of influence as well as the people on the street.

Al Roker's inability [a dubious conclusion] to point to Fort Worth on a map is irrelevant.

I'm no Al Roker, but I can say that I'm from Fort Worth in a "New York Minute".  :)

"Hot topic!!"  - RNR

#72 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:50 AM

I was just talking about national weather maps, but as usual the discussion devolves into the Dallas-Fort Worth rivalry.  Actually that's not the focus of my beef.  I lived in Dallas for several years and find it a great city.  And the abbreviated nomenclature "DFW" is fine with me.

But think of it this way:  If Fort Worth were a town of only 70,000 people located only 10 miles from Dallas...yes, I would call it a suburb.  But FW is 800,000-plus in population.  It's the 16th largest city in the U.S.  And  It's  located 30 miles from Dallas.  I'd hardly call us a suburb.  But you could plausibly argue that Arlington and Grand Prairie are suburban because they are much smaller in size and located closer to Big D. 

Years ago I lived in Norman, Oklahoma, which is about 30 miles south of OKC.  But Norman had a pop of only 70,000 at the time and we Normanites arguably were against calling us a suburb of "the City."  Moore or Midwest City, yes, but Norman, no.  Incidentally, Norman is host to the National Weather Service's severe weather forecasting center, but it gets left off of national weather maps, too.

#73 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:48 AM

Years ago I lived in Norman, Oklahoma, which is about 30 miles south of OKC.  But Norman had a pop of only 70,000 at the time and we Normanites arguably were against calling us a suburb of "the City."....

That is a helpful bit of anecdotal evidence which demonstrates that a lot of Fort Worth's behavior toward being marginalized is behavior that is actually common and widespread .  Thanks for sharing this tidbit.

#74 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:00 PM

After exploring Norman on Classic Google Maps, I see Norman as a satellite of Oklahoma City.

-----------------------------

Norman is not a suburb since there is some rural land separating it from OKC's sprawl.

However, Norman can't be considered a metro anchor either since it doesn't have a large central business district.

-Dylan

#75 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:45 AM

After exploring Norman on Classic Google Maps, I see Norman as a satellite of Oklahoma City.

-----------------------------

Norman is not a suburb since there is some rural land separating it from OKC's sprawl.

However, Norman can't be considered a metro anchor either since it doesn't have a large central business district.

Yes, Norman has green space toward the north, but lying betwixt Norman and OKC is the city of Moore.  This is somewhat analogous to the Fort Worth geographical position in which Arlington and Grand Prairie separate us from Big D.

#76 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:32 PM

Slightly off topic, but the selfish idiots at Google have completely shut down Classic Maps and loopholes to access it.

Satellite images on the new Google Maps are a worse quality than than the old Google Maps, the new Google Maps require a lot more CPU, and many features that were on Classic Maps are now missing. If I wanted Google Earth, I would use Google Earth instead of Google Maps. :mad:

Shame on Google for completely ruining an awesome product and replacing it with garbage that nobody wants.

-Dylan

#77 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:27 PM

^^^ Google also ruined Youtube. If I remember correctly. Mr. Roberts called Fort Worth a suburb of Dallas . Forgive me Mr Roberts if I misquoted you. But I believe Mr Roberts was almost right  I believe for a time. Fort Worth came close to becoming a suburb of Dallas back in the 80's. But now with Fort Worth city limits growth outside loop 820, ETJ and Alliance . Put Fort Worth on the road to be a major player on the nation and international scene for the future. I would not call Fort Worth a National city. Even though we are far bigger than other well known famous cities.

#78 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:54 PM

If you don't consider Fort Worth to be a nationally important city, I guess you don't consider other similarly-sized cities* with similarly-sized CBDs like San Antonio, Austin, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, or Charlotte to be nationally important cities, either.

* By similarly-sized cities, I mean Fort Worth's metro division vs the metro areas of cities I listed.

-----------------------

I'm having a very difficult time imagining John Roberts calling Fort Worth a suburb. :o

Although I will say I was surprised when he referred to this media market as "Dallas-FW" in another thread somewhere.

-Dylan

#79 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:12 PM

What if Fort Worth was a suburb of Dallas and a nationally important city?

*mindblown*

#80 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:13 PM

It's not.

-Dylan

#81 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:21 PM

According to whom? And again, would the world fall off of its axis and its core melt if both were true?

#82 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:30 PM

The common definition of a suburb is an extention of another city's growth. Fort Worth did not grow large because of another city, so it's not a suburb.

Fort Worth is the exact opposite of a suburb - it's a metro anchor with an urban core that spurred the growth of suburbs like ^Bedford.

We have an image problem because people don't realize we have an urban core that spurred growth of ourselves and our suburbs.

-Dylan

#83 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

Slightly off topic, but the selfish idiots at Google have completely shut down Classic Maps and loopholes to access it.

Satellite images on the new Google Maps are a worse quality than than the old Google Maps, the new Google Maps require a lot more CPU, and many features that were on Classic Maps are now missing. If I wanted Google Earth, I would use Google Earth instead of Google Maps. :mad:

Shame on Google for completely ruining an awesome product and replacing it with garbage that nobody wants.

Have you tried Lite Mode? It's not quite the classic Google Maps (I miss it too), but it's not as CPU-intensive as the new maps. Plus the satellite images are more up-to-date in some places than those on the 3-D maps. Link is at the bottom of this page: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3031966?hl=en 

(Edit: Fixed link.)

#84 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

I'm using the Lite Mode because I have hated the earth version since I got a new computer last year.  Took me a while to figure out how to change it, but Isn't this basically the same as classic maps?  The satellite imagery for Fort Worth appears to be from around September 2014, and is very sharp.

#85 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:11 PM

Classic Maps is better than Lite Mode because a lot of features like distance measurement are missing and street view is distorted.

Thankfully, a few more working links to access Classic Maps have been discovered: http://techforluddit...-maps-for-good/

The last few links have been shut down, so I expect Google to shut these down as well.

-Dylan

#86 Citygeek

Citygeek

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:40 PM

This is just silly.   Fort Worth is a great place!  I love it here!  But to be caught up in this endless infantile whining about Dallas shows how really small town some people in FW are in their thinking.  Fort Worth is great in it's own right.  Period.  Be proud of it, love it, whatever......But if FW thinking was half as exciting and limitless as Dallas sees itself, we'd have a lot more things 'bigtime',  hip or whatever you want to call it going on here in addition to the cool places we alreadly see emerging such as Southside.   I see anywhere in North Texas as an incredible place to be in the 21st century.  I see the greater DFW area as somewhat like Southern California in it's growth, cultural, employment and recreational possibilities.  There are cool things throughout the entire area whether in you're Dallas proper or Fort Worth or in any of the 100 or so suburbs and towns around here.  I love it all.  It's a great time to be here.  Quit hating Dallas and making fools of yourselves in the process. I don't care who's the biggest city, who has the tallest buildings or who gets mentioned on the Today show or the fricking Weather Channel........and to those of you who do, my condolences.  We live in a great place.  Get over it and enjoy your lives here and now!

#87 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

When have I ever hated on Dallas?  :huh: I've simply been arguing that Fort Worth is not a suburb of Dallas, which is the truth.

We would have "a lot more things bigtime" if more outsiders would recognize Fort Worth as the major city that it is. That's why we need more media attn.

If there's anyone on here who views Fort Worth with a "small town" mindset, it's you, not those of us who recognize Fort Worth as a major city.

-Dylan

#88 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:27 PM

Actually, I started this particular thread mainly to point out what I thought was a gradual trend to replace the name "Fort Worth" in the media and elsewhere with "Tarrant County" or "DFW" or "Metroplex" or simply "Dallas."  No intention here by me to denigrate Big D or inflame the passions of the inter-city rivalry, or even invite comments about suburbs.

But Dallas must have had a lot of hubris back when they decided to name their county "Dallas" while no other major city in Texas has its county named after it (you know, Houston/Harris, Austin/Travis, San Antonio/Bexar, Fort Worth/Tarrant, etc.)

The name Fort Worth isn't really going to oblivion, but sometimes you gotta wonder.  I was listening to a recent KRLD radio traffic report...they use the designations "Dallas County" and "Tarrant County."  At one point in the broadcast, the traffic reporter made a remark about some traffic tie-up in "downtown Tarrant."   Had to laugh at that!

#89 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:41 PM

What if Fort Worth was a suburb of Dallas and a nationally important city?.....*mindblown*

This is just silly....this endless infantile whining about Dallas shows how really small town some people in FW are.....  Quit hating Dallas and making fools of yourselves in the process.....

The incendiary or the simplistic rhetoric espoused by these kinds of remarks only demonstrate, that for some, the world is much more complicated or functions in ways that are too sophisticated to grasp.

It is about civic boosterism. It is not about hating; its about expecting to be respected and not being marginalized, suburbanized or getting along just for the sake of getting on together.

#90 Citygeek

Citygeek

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

"People Are Strange" (great album)......We are a region with a population of 7 million people.  We are all in this together.  If that sounds 'small town' I'm sorry, I disagree.....The only point I am trying to make here is that this is a region, almost a modern-day city-state and if leaders and citizens of Fort Worth want more singular recognition for Fort Worth and all the greatness that is this city, they need to do a better job of getting the word out.  Being petulant is a waste of our time.  I am reminded of  the on-going 'Dallas vs. Houston' BS which, in my personal experience really only continues in the minds of Houstonians since many Dallas people don't care about Dallas at all--LOL and Houston folks think that city is the center of the Universe..... Hey we're talking basic old-fashioned city pride here and every town has it......Let's work to make Fort Worth better than ever and let's tell the world about the wonderful reasons this is such a great place to be rather than decrying media converage and boycotting business developments owned by Dallas companies....BTW, in my initial post I was not addressing you personally and I am sorry you chose to take it that way--it was a general statement of one man's musings about the subject that you and others of all varying opinions have been discussing here on John's forum.

#91 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:15 PM

" People are strange " I don't consider Fort Worth a Nation city based on what I see in the Media .I myself believe Fort Worth is a major U.S. city . I fight all the darn time for Fort Worth ! What really ticks me off. Is when so called Fort Worthians  . Dismiss Fort Worth lack of recognition as no big deal . One of many ongoing examples is every time  American Airlines is in the news. It is always "Dallas based AA" ! One time CBS. On a AA story talked with the Dallas mayor ! :mad:   Or back during the Texas Rangers were in the world series. New York Times did a two city story ,With the San Francisco Mayor and the Dallas Mayor ! Are you kidding me ? Ok maybe not the Fort Worth mayor but at least the Arlington Mayor . *SIGH*

#92 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:28 PM

"People Are Strange" (great album)......We are a region with a population of 7 million people.  We are all in this together.  If that sounds 'small town' I'm sorry, I disagree.....The only point I am trying to make here is that this is a region, almost a modern-day city-state and if leaders and citizens of Fort Worth want more singular recognition for Fort Worth and all the greatness that is this city, they need to do a better job of getting the word out.  Being petulant is a waste of our time.  I am reminded of  the on-going 'Dallas vs. Houston' BS which, in my personal experience really only continues in the minds of Houstonians since many Dallas people don't care about Dallas at all--LOL and Houston folks think that city is the center of the Universe..... Hey we're talking basic old-fashioned city pride here and every town has it......Let's work to make Fort Worth better than ever and let's tell the world about the wonderful reasons this is such a great place to be rather than decrying media converage and boycotting business developments owned by Dallas companies....BTW, in my initial post I was not addressing you personally and I am sorry you chose to take it that way--it was a general statement of one man's musings about the subject that you and others of all varying opinions have been discussing here on John's forum.

Citygeek - Nobody is disputing that the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex is a large metro area.

You accused those of us defending Fort Worth as having a "small town" mindset a few posts ago, and that's what I disputed.

We (or at least I) do try to promote Fort Worth to others, but we need the media's help to get the message across.

Except for Love Field and Southwest, I don't have a problem supporting Dallas businesses or developers who want to build things here.

-Dylan

#93 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:36 PM

" People are strange " I don't consider Fort Worth a Nation city based on what I see in the Media .I myself believe Fort Worth is a major U.S. city . I fight all the darn time for Fort Worth ! What really ticks me off. Is when so called Fort Worthians  . Dismiss Fort Worth lack of recognition as no big deal . One of many ongoing examples is every time  American Airlines is in the news. It is always "Dallas based AA" ! One time CBS. On a AA story talked with the Dallas mayor ! :mad:   Or back during the Texas Rangers were in the world series. New York Times did a two city story ,With the San Francisco Mayor and the Dallas Mayor ! Are you kidding me ? Ok maybe not the Fort Worth mayor but at least the Arlington Mayor . *SIGH*

Okay, thank you for clarifying what you meant by national city. I didn't know.

-Dylan

#94 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:44 PM

What if Fort Worth was a suburb of Dallas and a nationally important city?

*mindblown*

That's a "street-facing giant wall of awfulness". :ninja:

#95 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:05 PM

Not going; eliminated!

Now asked yourself, if you are a national viewer, what would be your guess as to where the Armed Forces Bowl is played?

This, of course,  is ESPN's idea of a Dallas Fort Worth station.

https://twitter.com/...f_src=twsrc^tfw

#96 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:17 PM

I think the police department managed to get Fort Worth back into the national conscience today.

• JBB likes this

#97 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:31 PM

No publicity is bad publicity.  :unsure:

#98 Citygeek

Citygeek

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

Give it a rest.

Edited by John T Roberts, 23 December 2016 - 09:30 PM.

#99 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

What?

#100 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:37 PM

Yesterday, a local news affiliate here in Houston reported on the unfortunate Fort Worth police incident.

There was a short, pre-recorded interview clip with the victims in front of a Dallas skyline backdrop.

-Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users