#1 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

I thought I'd create a place to post the inevitable photos I will take at the upcoming Cowtown Cruise for a Cure - this Saturday, September 15 from 10 to 3 in Sundance Square. No admission charge for spectators, $35 for the hot rodders to register.
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

How often does this happen? Is it a once a year thing or more often? I know In Arlington there's a meet and great car show at the Lake Arlington Whataburger evey friday afternoon.

#3 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

Brian,
Is this an event you like or hate?

#4 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

I believe this is once a year - my boss went last September and showed me his pictures, so I looked up the date for this year.
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

#5 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

Brian,

I love it. Love the cars, love the cause. (Screen for Prostate Cancer)
Would not personally own an old car as the pollute about 50 times more than a modern car, however. But I like to pretend I own each of these cars.

It is the Toy run with icky, loud, motorcycles I hate... (That ruins an Interstate highway for a day...)
www.fortworthview.com

#6 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

Brian,

Would not personally own an old car as the pollute about 50 times more than a modern car, however. But I like to pretend I own each of these cars.

Cool!

It is the Toy run with icky, loud, motorcycles I hate... (That ruins an Interstate highway for a day...)

...and any society-ruining sporting event, right?

#7 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

Brian,

Cool!

...and any society-ruining sporting event, right?

That's correct. No professional sports, no school related sports, no sports of violence (Boxing, MMA, Cock fighting or any other bloody crap.) So that pretty much leaves neighborhood soccer/softball/foot races/bicycle races etc...
www.fortworthview.com

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

I'm sure your a big NASCAR fan right?
48 or so Big, heavy, CARBORATED V8's that supposedly get no more than 4 mpg on a good day, driving in circles up to 500 miles at a time.
Seems like a Tremendous waste to me! I am a huge fan of most forms of racing, Le Mans, F1, etc, but NASCAR just seems silly.

I really wish could stop by this tomorrow. Have other plans sadly :(

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

I was down there on Saturday and I thoroughly enjoyed looking at all of the cars. I had my camera with me and I grabbed a few good shots.

#10 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

A couple handfuls of shots from the many I took Saturday - it was a great day for the show, which we attended after a 2 hour walking history tour of downtown with PhD historian Richard Selcer!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

Great photos.

What still amazes me is how dependable, fuel efficient and powerful a modern engine is compared to the '60s engines. Especially considering that until '72, most manufacturers used SAE gross HP, resulting in much higher numbers. In '71, Chevy's hottest 350 ci, 4 Bbl, was rated at 330 HP. Same engine in '72, using SAE net HP, was rated at 255 HP. No where near 1 HP per 1 ci. Plus, you absolutely had to tune up every 6,000 miles, with new plugs, contacts and rotor or the engine would begin to miss at higher revs. Basically, same Chevy small block (head design quite different now) for current Corvette has 378 ci, rated at 430 HP. Still 2 valves per cylinder and no overhead cam but with amazing electronic engine management. My current vehicle is 226 ci and 300 HP. Change plugs every 100,000 miles and it doesn't even use a distributor. Of course, it has 4 valves per cylinder, overhead cam, aluminum block and heads and hemi combustion chambers, but that is still an amazing feat for a naturally aspirated V-6. Start adding turbos or superchargers and the numbers go through the roof.

By the way, the NASCAR cup series no longer runs carbs. It's TBI and they run 15% ethanol.

#12 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

Agreed - the difference between modern engines and the powerhouses of the past is amazing, and GM seems to be leading the pack in the 'specific output' department - our turbo Solstice (which I sold to my sister last November) pulled 260 HP out of a little 2.0 L 4-cylinder - about 2.1 HP per cubic inch. Our current car - a 2013 Camaro RS gets 323 HP out of 220 CI V6 - roughly 1.5 HP /cubic inch. Unheard of numbers 'back in the day' for a stock engine! Even my hot-rodded '65 El Camino (also sold - dang!) got 427 HP out of a bored 350 (357 ci), so only 1.2 HP per CI - but it looked and sounded awesome! :swg:

#13 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

Great photos.

What still amazes me is how dependable, fuel efficient and powerful a modern engine is compared to the '60s engines. Especially considering that until '72, most manufacturers used SAE gross HP, resulting in much higher numbers. In '71, Chevy's hottest 350 ci, 4 Bbl, was rated at 330 HP. Same engine in '72, using SAE net HP, was rated at 255 HP. No where near 1 HP per 1 ci. Plus, you absolutely had to tune up every 6,000 miles, with new plugs, contacts and rotor or the engine would begin to miss at higher revs. Basically, same Chevy small block (head design quite different now) for current Corvette has 378 ci, rated at 430 HP. Still 2 valves per cylinder and no overhead cam but with amazing electronic engine management. My current vehicle is 226 ci and 300 HP. Change plugs every 100,000 miles and it doesn't even use a distributor. Of course, it has 4 valves per cylinder, overhead cam, aluminum block and heads and hemi combustion chambers, but that is still an amazing feat for a naturally aspirated V-6. Start adding turbos or superchargers and the numbers go through the roof.

By the way, the NASCAR cup series no longer runs carbs. It's TBI and they run 15% ethanol.

^ Really terrific pictures Ron. I was doing the Over the Edge thing Saturday so could not see a thing. Will sure check it out next year.

Phil, you are right about the older cars. No comparison. Talking about points. (Contact points, for the young.) I am an efficiency nut and always have been. Contact points needed to have the dwell angle set. Problem is, they rode the distributor cam on plastic lobes that would wear. So if you adjust your points perfectly, the next week they were no longer perfect because that plastic lobe would wear. Drove me crazy. In fact, I had a 1966 mustang with a 6 cylinder. I put electronic ignition in it in the mid 70's. Pretty big deal back then. Worked great though forever. BTW, just recently I tracked that old Mustang to a Houston residence. (Has a current registration.) I need to send the guy a letter and some old pictures. I got the car in 1974 when my friend was Murdered in Arlington. (Told the story here before) but his folks gave me his car. I think it was like 90 horsepower. Had a 3 speed auto but would go faster in second than third because it was so weak. I do miss the car though. You could climb in the engine bay to work on it as there was that much room. Luckily, I have not had a car break since High School. (Too hard to get at these days for sure.)
www.fortworthview.com

#14 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

The cure for that was a special distributor cam lube, of which I still have a half tube. The biggest issue with Ford vs. GM dwell setting was Ford required you to set the dwell with a loose hold down screw on the points, a screw driver blade and dwell meter, with the engine cranking but not running. Then, once you locked the points down, the dwell always changed about 3 degrees. No problem once you got used to it. GM had a "window" in the side of the distributor cap, through which one inserted a 1/8" hex key and adjusted the dwell with the engine running. Add to that, GM had a points assembly that included the condensor in one unit, whereas Ford used separate components. Unless one had a screw holding screwdriver, it was too damn easy to drop a points screw into the distributor. All the major scars I have on my hands and arms are as a result of working on Fords. That said, I still enjoyed seeing the 350 Cleveland Ford engines this last weekend, never mind the 427 and 428. However, nothing compares in pure width and size to a 326 Hemi with two 4 bbl. on that insanely wide manifold.

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

I was down there with a fellow forum member and I took a few shots. Hopefully, I will upload them later in the week.

#16 CleanBarber.com

CleanBarber.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

Heads up folks. Pistons and Paint traditional car show at Denton Fair Grounds will be on November 10, 2012. This is DFW's coolest car show. All pre 65 traditional hot rods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users