3 replies to this topic

#1 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:55 AM

For my own convenience I have just finished digitizing two of the little books of FW history that are useful in research as well as just interesting reading. I thought perhaps that some of you would like them as well so I have made them available as downloads from one of my web sites in Adobe PDF format.

www.foatwurth.com/FwSmith.pdf
This is Sam H Smith's "Things I Remember About Early Days in the History of Fort Worth". Sam was the son of North Fort Worth Judge Jesse G. Smith. I hope that someone will supply an original publication date for this 49 page booklet. Additional bio information on Sam smith would also be appreciated. File size is about 3 meg.

www.foatwurth.com/FwPeak.pdf
This is a small 9 page pamphlet titled "The Story of Old Fort Worth" by Howard Peak. Howard was a the son of Early pioneer Carroll Peak and was a well known FW historian and speaker. Very outspoken. A publication date and more bio would be appreciated. About 500 kb file size.

Just click the links to download the PDF files. The are open and unprotected and may be copied or printed for non-commercial distribution. A credit to Electric Books and a link to my web site (below) would be appreciated if you pass the files around.

Hope you enjoy them....

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#2 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the two articles. I enjoyed the one by Mr. Smith. I had read several accounts of early Fort Worth and most people in Fort Worth don't have a clue about our early leaders and the contributions they made to the city such as John Peter Smith to name one.
Mike

#3 headlinesman

headlinesman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:historical sites and events/football

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

Sam Smith is a great uncle, a brother of my grandfather. Sam's parents were Jesse G. Smith and Emma Givens Smith. Jesse migrated from Georgia to Arkansas to east Texas to Fort Worth. Jesse was the first city judge of North Fort Worth. He passed away in 1907 and, according to his obituary, all the business shut down during the hour of his funeral. Emma was a very short woman, less than 5 feet tall. Jesse and Emma are buried in the family plot in Oakwood. Sam Smith was one of 7 boys and 2 girls with brothers Ben, Walter, Punk, Jesse, George, and Bill and sisters Elizabeth and Mattie. There is a possibility that there was an additional female sibling as there is a grave in the family plot that no one seems to know about, a girl who possibly died in infancy. Sam's wife was Lena and their children were sons Jack and Bobby and a daughter Jessie. Jessie worked for many years for the county tax assessor. My uncle once told me a story about Sam who, probably in the 20's or 30's, had his car break down on the way home from Dallas. Sam camped by the side of the road, built a fire, melted metal and formed a new car part, repaired his car with the part he had made, and continued on home the next day. The Smith family was one of the early families of the North Side, along with the Shannon and Jarvis families. I believe that Sam and Lena are buried at Mount Olivet.

#4 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for the information on both Jesse & Sam and the Smith family...

I have done a little looking into Jesse several years ago and have a picture of him that I picked up at a flea market. There are some hints of a very interesting life in what I have read.

I have practically nothing about Sam other than his neat little book.

It would be interesting to know more about both of them and their lives in Fort Worth.

In my work, I collect and use the little known or obscure books and maps of Fort Worth & Tarrant County. I have a few more that I hope to digitize and perhaps make available if anyone is interested. While not rare in any sense, early information like this is never available when you need it unless you truck down to some library and spend endless hours in travel and time in waiting for access to these materials. and then only get bad photocopies.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users