• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (76107 @ Jan 23 2008, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you live in Bedford, wax your chest, want to date a drug rep, or eat ramen five nights a week in order to spend five hundred bucks you really don't have on a bottle of Crown, its a great place. I, on the other hand, will be drinking at the Hideaway until they haul me out pending a demolition order.

haha, that's funny

#52 walton91

walton91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:31 PM

I posted this in the T&P thread on the residential forum but thought I would throw it out here. There is a sign in the window of the old diner in the T&P that says the T&P Tavern and Grill is moving in. Actually is says they have applied for a liquor license but you get the idea. Does anyone have any knowledge of this project? Very interested in seeing how this turns out.

#53 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (walton91 @ Feb 9 2008, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I posted this in the T&P thread on the residential forum but thought I would throw it out here. There is a sign in the window of the old diner in the T&P that says the T&P Tavern and Grill is moving in. Actually is says they have applied for a liquor license but you get the idea. Does anyone have any knowledge of this project? Very interested in seeing how this turns out.

I have some pictures of the place when it was still filled with construction boxes and stuff, but it still had most of the original Art Deco fixtures, think I even saw a marble counter under the formica one if you lifted up the corner. The place has potential.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#54 sarahlmac

sarahlmac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth, triathlons, yoga, crossfit workouts, running, reading, photography

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (ramjet @ Feb 23 2006, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (vjackson @ Feb 23 2006, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your're kidding right???? Are you talking about Baker St. Pub, like the ones in the Houston area??? They're a Houston chain, that are just a little step up from your local Bennigan's. And the Dueling Piano place..is that the same or simililar to that cheezzzy place that's been in Addison next to the Improv forever???. I went there (Addison) a year ago to celebrate a birthday for the father of a coworker...he was turning 62. I don't know if Addison is blessed enought to have a Baker St., but I know there's a Bennigan's and with the Dueling Piano Place and Chili's...a night in FW is like a night in your local Addsion strip mall. I did go to happy hour at Dragonfly (ZaZa) last week and although it was full of the type of Dallas people I hate, I had a great time.....but I guess I shouldn't brag...I mean it can't be that great a place...there's not one in Addison.

Oh, vjackson, how I love to tweak you! Actually, you're probably pretty cool. It's just fun to yank your chain as they say up here. Really, though, I had a great time Saturday night in Fort Worth. I was visiting with friends. We live in New York. You should know, all of us have quite a resume of partying in big cities all over the world so I know of what I speak. I don't know who owns those bars - Baker Street and Dueling Pianos -but, believe me, we had a blast. We are male and female, gay and straight, and range from 30 to 43 in age. Again, we had a blast in Fort Worth! By the way, where's Addison?

hey, Baker St. might be cheesy but it is fun. Anywhere that keeps its happy hour until 9 p.m., even on Fridays, is ok by me (that is, if you don't feel like shelling out $8 for a glass of yellowtail almost anywhere else).

#55 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:11 PM

I'm so there.

Thursday, February 28th, the concert hall will invade the Scat Jazz
Lounge in downtown Fort Worth
. The Paul Unger Trio will be bring the
worlds of classical music, popular music and jazz music together for
an evening of unique music making.
Paul Unger is currently the Assistant Principal Bass of the Fort
Worth Symphony
and joining him will be Steve Harlos - staff
keyboardist for the Dallas Symphony Orchestra and Coordinator of
Piano at the University of North Texas - and Mark Miller - violinist,
President of the Mount Vernon Music Association and former assistant
concertmaster of the Robert Schumann Chamber Orchestra in
Dusseldorf, Germany and former member of the Orchester der
Beethovenhalle in Bonn.
They will perform Paul Schoenfield's "Cafe Music", "Addendum" by
Chick Corea, six tango compositions by Astor Piazzolla and a few
standards from Gershwin, Porter and Kern. After the first set the
trio will be joined by drummer extraordinaire - Dennis Durick.

We'll see you there!
Paul, Steve and Mark

COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#56 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

NO! Is Matt leaving???
www.iheartfw.com

#57 rocker099

rocker099

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:49 PM

i dont know if this is the right place for this, but i am looking for a cool place to go on thursday nights. i know its a little late to be asking, but i want to find somewhere with alot of people preferably in fort worth. Ive been to the library but was wondering if there was any other place besides the library that has a lot of people on thursday nights

#58 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (rocker099 @ Mar 13 2008, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i dont know if this is the right place for this, but i am looking for a cool place to go on thursday nights. i know its a little late to be asking, but i want to find somewhere with alot of people preferably in fort worth. Ive been to the library but was wondering if there was any other place besides the library that has a lot of people on thursday nights

Houston St. Bar and Patio. Houston and 8th, SODO.

www.iheartfw.com

#59 TxConnie

TxConnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (safly @ Mar 1 2008, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NO! Is Matt leaving???

Sorry, Sarfly I pulled my post because everything was at rumor stage. Matt is talking about it now, so safe to post. Yes, Matt is leaving Shamrock. He is leasing the pub to Will and Chris and a guy from Reata. Matt is talking about opening a new place in the property that currently houses the Bronx Zoo.

#60 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:50 PM

Once again, conflicts at work will prevent me from joining my wife and angels who will be heading down to Gulf Shores for her family reunion next week.

I intend to amble into the Fort a couple nights to help ease the pain of missing them so.

Given that, I'm looking for recommendations. I will go over the forum topics I can find where popular spots are mentioned, but I'm also interested in hearing other suggestions as well.

I'm looking for places that can only be found in Fort Worth; they don't necessarily have to be downtown.

As I'll not be in the heart-skipping, head-to-toe-tingly presence of my sweet wife, it would be nice to find a place or so where I can sit alone without looking like a complete dork. Or at least without feeling like a complete dork; not sure I can quite avoid looking like one, even in a poorly-lit bar.

Live music would be great - pretty much any kind as long as the artist is talented... or at least wildly enthusiastic. Actually, no, just anything really.

I would like to check out Scat if I can find the appropriate attire. What is the appropriate attire? I don't really have a lot of night-on-the-town threads these days.

Oh, and if there is a must-try beverage (or appetizer or whatever) at any place you suggest, let me know.

#61 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:09 AM

Scat has a simple dress attire. Business casual to urban casual. Don't worry about that collars, tie and coats only image. It ain't real.

Still a great place to listen in on some LIVE jazz sound. Houston St. Pub and Patio is a good one for DTFW. Lot's of TV's and a LIVE music patio on the rooftop.

Magnolia Ave. is startin to take off. Atomic Glee should know some good spots there. The Old Bull n Bush is a great pub to get that import taste (without all the smoke) and is in close proximity to some tasty eats at the MW Plaza area (Boomer Jack's, FRED'S, La Familias ) or Camp Bowie Distr. Up for some University Dr. action, just check out Buffalo Bros. for that NEastern sports bar scene, lots of TV's and THE BEST hot bar food, kind of a new dig for me. Good place to watch the NBA Playoffs or your hometown RANGERS.
www.iheartfw.com

#62 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:28 AM

thanks, safly. i'll come as i am to Scat and if they turn me away i'll respect them for having standards.

Houston St and Old Bull n Bush will have to be on the short list. i'm interested in seeing if OBnB has English or Irish brews that you don't see elsewhere. i love my Guinness, for instance, but i've wanted to try Beamish since Aisling, Gillian, and Máire recommended it; just haven't been able to find it. now if i can find a place that shows GAA games and all that craic, i'd be set. Sláinte!

#63 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE (safly @ Jun 12 2008, 04:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Scat has a simple dress attire. Business casual to urban casual. Don't worry about that collars, tie and coats only image. It ain't real.

Darn it, man - I want to have *one* place in this town that's not full of the jeans & flip-flops chic set (not accusing you, gdvanc - more I'm just worried about the Library demographic). Let me have my dressier Scat.

(Doesn't go to Scat without at least slacks, a sport coat, and a tie. It just isn't right otherwise, no matter what the official word it. I can't stick back with my Balvenie on the rocks listening to Johnny Reno without dressing up a bit.)

--

Kara B.

#64 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:19 AM

That's fine, Kev, just remember that jazz was birthed by poor folks like me who didn't have money to dress up for a night out. smile.gif (So expect to find me there in my jeans and loafers!)

#65 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (cbellomy @ Jun 12 2008, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's fine, Kev, just remember that jazz was birthed by poor folks like me who didn't have money to dress up for a night out. smile.gif

Hey, I'm not exactly flush with cash here, either, but it's not hard to get a nice suit and/or jacket and such for cheap if you're smart about it. Heck, I've had two suits custom made for me, for less than most middling-quality off-the-rack stuff is these days, and they're impeccable. Just a matter of knowing what to look for and where to look for it. Even Target sells jackets and slacks that are decent, except for the low armholes which plague 99% of all jackets these days. That's why I tend to go vintage or custom - they can get the armholes right, or at least better. Even the cheapest stuff from the '30s and '40s fits sooo much better than even really high-end stuff today.

So, yeah, on-topic - how about those bars, pubs, or clubs! Go bars, pubs, and clubs! biggrin.gif

--

Kara B.

#66 Templeofheaven

Templeofheaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:05 PM

hey guys, what's the red goose like on Sat night? What kinda crowd and music? Thanks!

#67 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:20 AM

Migth as well head on over to a nice "gentlemens" club. Same theme, classier crowd, less stuffy.
www.iheartfw.com

#68 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:12 AM

Safly, thanks for the recommendations.

I only ended up going to a couple of places on account of work was what it always is and also because when i miss the wife and kids i spend a lot of time just moping about.

The couple of places I visited where Houston St. Pub and Patio and the Scat Jazz Lounge. I enjoyed both.

HSP&P had a great neighborhood bar feel to me. The downstairs bartender reminded me of my old friend Celia; very sweet personality. Loved the patio, too. The upstairs bartender was friendy, too, but he wasn't near as pretty as the downstairs bartender or my old friend Celia. It was too bright out for the projection TV to be of much use, but it clearly would be a satisfier later in the evening.

Scat: what can I say? Wonderful and unique place. If it had been around when I was in school, I may never have graduated. I would've spent my spare time and coin there. Loved Jen and Matt behind the bar. Loved Charisse (however she spells her name) and all the other wonderful staff. Aaron (Gig 'Em!) and Maurice were top-notch. Appreciated Ricki and Cary (however he spells his name) being so friendly as well. Enjoyed talking to the son of the bass player, who was in from El Lay and filled in for his old man for a while. And to Willow and her friends at the 3-top next to the bar: Hey! Good seeing you guys!

Spread the word! Fort Worth needs places like this to be successful. I'll be trying to find a way to catch Freddie Hubbard when he rolls into town on July 18 & 19; you should be there, too. And do you know what's wrong with this country? I'll tell you what's wrong with this country: when I left Scat, there were empty tables. Empty tables! I walked around and did some people watching and discovered that there were lines out the door for 8.0 with it's 80's cover band; at Flying Saucer and whatever they had going on; and - and this is the worst part - at City Streets. CITY STREETS! Are you kidding me? That's what's wrong with this country. That and the "I'm so funny when Mommy and Daddy aren't around" idiots at the Library yelling obscenities at the families walking on the other side of the street. Aren't you precious, you spoiled little drunkards! Morons.

Well, I looked for you guys while I wandered around, but didn't see anyone. Too bad! Maybe next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users