• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 austlar

austlar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:16 PM

I was up in FW this past week and driving around my old Park Hilll neighborhood. I could not help but notice that the old Clark mansion looked pretty sad. I was a child growing up on Winton Terrace at the time of the infamous Clark murder and the ensuing trials of Mary Clark and gangster Tincey Eggleston. I seem to remember that Mary Clark was not convicted in her trial. I also remember sleuthing around with my neighborhood friends in the overgrown grounds behind the house, actually below the house, where there was a crumbling swimming pool, an overgrown tennis court, and some empty dog kennels. After her trial, Mary Clark returned to live at the house, and some of us liked to believe that she was running a high class bordello there, although we had no proof of it other than the fact that there were one or two other women living there circa 1958/59 and a steady stream of gentlemen callers. Who knows? I was just wondering what the current status of the house might be. Unlike other prime Park Hill properties, it did not seem to be well maintained at all. Actually, it looked almost derelict. Anybody know what gives?

#2 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:53 AM

Mary lived in the house up until fairly recently (within the last year). The house is currently vacant and as far as I know, there isn't a regular caretaker, either - which would explain why it looks derelict. At 97 years old, Mary Clark is blind and in declining health. She currently resides with a son in the Benbrook area but the Winton Terrace house is still under her ownership. I imagine it will remain that way until she passes on.

#3 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 18 September 2005 - 01:06 PM

OK - I've GOT to know the story here! I'm pretty sure I know which house your talking about it; in fact drove by today. Such a beautiful place! But don't know anything about a murder. What's the scoop? Or where can I find the info. Can't come up with anything on a search, but may not be searching right.

Any ideas about touring the house and/or grounds? Do you think there will ever be an opportunity??

#4 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 18 September 2005 - 06:46 PM

apparently if you google the gansters name hes talked about in the book gansters and gamblers in fort worth....i think it was mentioned somewhere else in the forum...

#5 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:00 PM

seurto - Unfortunately, I doubt it. Mary has been something of a recluse and rarely took visitors even when she was still in the house. The family keeps a low profile and I seriously doubt they would be interested in revisiting those events.

However, there are rumors that the house and contents are contracted with a local estate sale company upon Mary's passing. I imagine that might be the only opportunity to view the interior of the house.

I've been on the grounds in the past and it doesn't appear that much, if anything, has changed or moved since the 1950s. Everything on the exterior appears to be pretty much left as it was, just neglected and "stored" or cast aside. Most of the 50s patio furniture and decor is still present, albeit in a state of neglect. I have not been down in the area behind the house where the pool and such are supposed to be - that area is horribly overgrown and you can't even see down past the small staircases and gates leading into that area. Back in the 50s, that place would have been a real palace. The grounds would be stunning if they were restored, and I hope that at some point someone who appreciates the notorious house will do just that! I'm sure the neighbors would appreciate it.

The story is well-told in the book "Gamblers and Gangsters." Back in the early 1950s, Mary and her husband, William (wealthy oilman) were living in the house at 2232 Winton Terrace W. He had filed for divorce citing "fraud" as the reason. It was rumored that she had married him for his money and tricked him into the marriage. Her family ran a dry cleaning establishment somewhere on Magnolia, and I believe she had at least one or two other family members residing in the house with her. The couple joined First Presbyterian Church in 1952 and shortly thereafter Mr. Clark was found shot dead in the upstairs dressing room. The last woman to see Mr. Clark alive was FPC's parish visitor Kathleen Paylor, who did testify. Mrs. Clark was arrested at the drycleaners on Magnolia, and she and two local hoods (the believed hitmen) were put on trial - one of whom was Tincey Eggleston, a well known Fort Worth n'er do well. The two men were killed before the trial ended, and Mrs. Clark was acquitted. At the time it was the most expensive trial to date. The majority of the estate was awarded to William Clark's brother, and according to the book, Mary was awarded only $10. The house was declared community property and Mary has lived in it ever since.

The house is listed as a "Historic Site" on TAD. It also lists that it does not have a pool.

#6 1963Parade_of_Homes

1963Parade_of_Homes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:46 PM

seurto - Unfortunately, I doubt it. Mary has been something of a recluse and rarely took visitors even when she was still in the house. The family keeps a low profile and I seriously doubt they would be interested in revisiting those events.

However, there are rumors that the house and contents are contracted with a local estate sale company upon Mary's passing. I imagine that might be the only opportunity to view the interior of the house.

I've been on the grounds in the past and it doesn't appear that much, if anything, has changed or moved since the 1950s. Everything on the exterior appears to be pretty much left as it was, just neglected and "stored" or cast aside. Most of the 50s patio furniture and decor is still present, albeit in a state of neglect. I have not been down in the area behind the house where the pool and such are supposed to be - that area is horribly overgrown and you can't even see down past the small staircases and gates leading into that area. Back in the 50s, that place would have been a real palace. The grounds would be stunning if they were restored, and I hope that at some point someone who appreciates the notorious house will do just that! I'm sure the neighbors would appreciate it.

The story is well-told in the book "Gamblers and Gangsters." Back in the early 1950s, Mary and her husband, William (wealthy oilman) were living in the house at 2232 Winton Terrace. He had filed for divorce citing "fraud" as the reason. It was rumored that she had married him for his money and tricked him into the marriage. Her family ran a dry cleaning establishment somewhere on Magnolia, and I believe she had at least one or two other family members residing in the house with her. The couple joined First Presbyterian Church in 1952 and shortly thereafter Mr. Clark was found shot dead in the upstairs dressing room. The last woman to see Mr. Clark alive was FPC's parish visitor Kathleen Paylor, who did testify. Mrs. Clark was arrested at the drycleaners on Magnolia, and she and two local hoods (the believed hitmen) were put on trial - one of whom was Tincey Eggleston, a well known Fort Worth n'er do well. The two men were killed before the trial ended, and Mrs. Clark was acquitted. At the time it was the most expensive trial to date. The majority of the estate was awarded to William Clark's brother, and according to the book, Mary was awarded only $10. The house was declared community property and Mary has lived in it ever since.

The house is listed as a "Historic Site" on TAD. It also lists that it does not have a pool.

View Post

What effect would the notorious nature of this house have on its value?

#7 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:25 PM

pmburk - Thank you so much for the info!!! That is facinating. I had bought that book when it first came out, but gave it as a gift, so never got to read it all the way through. I may have to check the Half Price Bookstore again. So, I'm guessing the house is older than 1950, right? Driving by Sunday - and only looking from the street - it almost looked like it should have come out of Sunset Boulevard (the movie, obviously). My sister is a fiend for "notorious/infamous" places, too, so I'll sure pass this along to her. Maybe she has some places you might be interested in!

#8 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:29 AM

I've read that when a tragic event takes place in a home, the home usually drops in value, but then returns to market value after 10 years. Now, if you're a weirdo like me it would probably make the house *more* valuable, but for "normal" people - who knows!

The home was built in 1926. It is a beautiful Tudor! You can actually see the back of the home from S University, on the bluff overlooking the zoo.

I think the chapter in Gamblers and Gangsters about the Clark murder is called something like, "Murder: Made for the Movies" or something like that. It is truly a fascinating little story. The Fort Worth Library has copies of the book as well.

seurto - I'd love to talk to your sister! Is she local? I'm a nut for this kind of stuff.

Maybe the FW Forum group should organize a volunteer yard clean-up at the house, so we can all go check it out? :blink:

#9 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:09 AM

seurto - I'd love to talk to your sister! Is she local? I'm a nut for this kind of stuff.

Maybe the FW Forum group should organize a volunteer yard clean-up at the house, so we can all go check it out?  :unsure:

View Post

O yeah, she's local; in fact I told her she needed to join the forum so y'all could talk! I'll remind her, maybe we can all get together for a "macabre tour" or something :blink: .

About the yard clean up- I have my gloves and trash bag (and camera) ready!! :D

#10 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:09 PM

Sounds good to me!

#11 1963Parade_of_Homes

1963Parade_of_Homes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 04:29 PM

I've read that when a tragic event takes place in a home, the home usually drops in value, but then returns to market value after 10 years. Now, if you're a weirdo like me it would probably make the house *more* valuable, but for "normal" people - who knows!

The home was built in 1926. It is a beautiful Tudor! You can actually see the back of the home from S University, on the bluff overlooking the zoo.

I think the chapter in Gamblers and Gangsters about the Clark murder is called something like, "Murder: Made for the Movies" or something like that. It is truly a fascinating little story. The Fort Worth Library has copies of the book as well.

Maybe the FW Forum group should organize a volunteer yard clean-up at the house, so we can all go check it out?  :D

View Post

I'd clean up any place in Park Hill just to get that close of a look.

#12 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:13 PM

Im with yall....trash bag in hand, camera around my neck......lets go.. :D

#13 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:31 AM

I may have an opportunity to voice our interest in cleaning up the exterior of the property. It would be completely volunteer work and we'd only be on the exterior property doing things like picking up trash and dead limbs, mowing grass, etc. About 1 day's work, kind of like a city cleanup type deal. If anyone is seriously interested in doing this, let me know. It would be on a Saturday. It would be hard work and we'd be doing it for nothing, other than the "fun" of being able to say that we did it, and get a closer look at the home. I don't want to throw the volunteer option out, though, and have nobody show up.

#14 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:39 PM

If it is a Saturday I don't have anything planned already - I WILL BE THERE!!! Depending on which Sat I can probably guarantee at least two more people with me. I understand it is volunteer, hard work etc. :)

#15 austlar

austlar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:37 AM

If you all get to do your clean up, please post with details. I could swear that I remember a rather large and empty swimming pool down in the back as well as a tennis court, but it has been over 50 years since our little crew of grade school age junior detectives made our sweeps through the grounds of the murder mansion. My sister and I were friends with a girl named Diane Gachman, who lived directly across the street from the Clark mansion. We always understood that it had been the Gachman's handyman/yardman/driver/ jack of all trades, whose name I can't recall, who had made the initial discovery that something was amiss over there. I think he had been sent to investigate because Mr. Clark's Caddy was parked in the circular drive for several days and newpapers were piling up at the door. Mrs. Gachman claimed her employee had found a broken window in the sunroom by the front drive, and either Mr. or Mrs. Gachman had called the police. Who knows? It was exciting for us kids, and we all wanted to claim a piece of the story. I am absolutely sure there was an elaborate and empty dog kennel with room for several large dogs. Everything was overgrown, even back then, and the house was empty for many months during the trial. It was a more innocent era, and kids moved freely throughout the backyards of Park Hill and all over the hillside above the zoo. Back then there was no fence around the zoo, and a set of stairs came directly up to Winton Terrace from the zoo. The Clark saga kept us interested for a good little while. We also had a front row seat for the Pete the Python (later known as Patricia) escape from the zoo. Growing up in Park Hill back in the 50's was something special.

#16 1963Parade_of_Homes

1963Parade_of_Homes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:15 PM

I buzz through Park Hill about once a week just to admire the beautiful houses. Doing so last night I noticed a light on in one of the upstairs rooms on the front of the house. Is someone living there now?

-Jim

#17 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:07 PM

Just drove by the house and wow...its beautiful...Even in the condition its in...the beauty is still there....I hope someday its restored to its splendor..

#18 Dokk

Dokk

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:36 PM

Maybe the FW Forum group should organize a volunteer yard clean-up at the house, so we can all go check it out? :P

I know that when a violent crime such as murder occurs on a property, the owners of the property must, by law, disclose this fact to any and all potential buyers. It is considered a known latent material defect of the property. There are even state proulgated forms for this disclosure and acknowledgement that you've been advised of the "defect". There was a house that I know of in Bedford where a guy killed his wife and it sat empty for nine years before someone finally bought it.

#19 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:04 PM

I'm up for some volunteer clean-up on that property!

I participate in the Zoo Run/Walk each year and enjoy the opporturnity to walk through that neighborhood just to be able to look at the homes! I love all the rich histories and wish I knew more, especially the bizarre stuff!

Seriously, keep me posted if something gets organized!!

mary bess

#20 Sailor

Sailor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:53 PM

My trust has a lein on the house as part of the original legal expenses. My grandfather was her atty for the trial and we are still trying to clear up his estate in this matter. (Some sort of payment plan) I also have her case file in the matter. I could really use information on whereabouts.....This issue with Mrs. Clark has been settled as of 7/25/06.

#21 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE(Sailor @ Mar 9 2006, 04:53 PM) View Post

My trust has a lein on the house as part of the original legal expenses. My grandfather was her atty for the trial and we are still trying to clear up his estate in this matter. (Some sort of payment plan) I also have her case file in the matter. I could really use information on whereabouts.....

Watch out for Rule Number 10.

#22 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:00 AM

Mary Clark now longer owns the home on Winton Terrace. She currently resides out of state with a caretaker. She has no family. The home is vacant, and was sold to a neighbor on Winton - he and his wife have restored several older homes within Fort Worth, and he wanted to make sure that the property was not purchased and demolished. I don't think they plan to live in the home, and I haven't heard any plans for restoration... yet. But, I think if their previous homes are any indication, we can expect to see some good things happen to that house!

#23 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE(pmburk @ May 8 2006, 09:00 AM) View Post

Mary Clark now longer owns the home on Winton Terrace. She currently resides out of state with a caretaker. She has no family. The home is vacant, and was sold to a neighbor on Winton - he and his wife have restored several older homes within Fort Worth, and he wanted to make sure that the property was not purchased and demolished. I don't think they plan to live in the home, and I haven't heard any plans for restoration... yet. But, I think if their previous homes are any indication, we can expect to see some good things happen to that house!

Well, that was my "Plan B". Plan A was for Mary to hold out until I win a large lotto jackpot and then sell it to me. At least it sounds like it is in really good hands.

#24 1963Parade_of_Homes

1963Parade_of_Homes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:43 PM

It appears the restoration is under way. I have driven past the house on 3 of the past 5 weekends and each time there has been a moving van there that they appear to be filling up. Today they were loading a dresser in as I passed by. I also noticed several garbage bags full on the driveway of what is probably trash. On the driveway are several stacks of what I think are some kind of bricks or some such thing; I guess they're restoration materials.

Since the new owners are such wonderful preservationists, would they be interested in helping Thistle Hill?

-Jim

#25 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:02 AM

We went past the house yesteday after a WONDERFUL breakfast at the Park Hill Cafe. They (someone) has done a TON of work on the house, it's really looking good. They are doing, I guess, foundation work now as there is a mountain of dirt in the front yard and a trench around the house. I sure hope whoever is doing all this work has an open house when they finish. I can't even fathom the amount of $$ they must be spending.

#26 FWFF'r

FWFF'r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Antiques, Artifacts, History, Rustic Furnishings, Baseball

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:06 PM

It looks as though someone might be living here now... at least part time. ??? The huge piles of dirt are gone from the yard & things are starting to look normal.

#27 MMR093597

MMR093597

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:05 PM

Does anyone know the status of this property? Someone has done a bunch of work.

#28 MMR093597

MMR093597

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (MMR093597 @ Dec 11 2008, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know the status of this property? Someone has done a bunch of work.

I drove by this house last weekend, and it looks a hundred times different than it did two or three years ago. Someone has done a huge amount of work. There is a swing in the front of the house, so the family must have small kids. Does anyone know who tackled the renovation? Was it a builder? I'm so happy to see it preserved.

#29 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:36 AM

By any chance is their any pics? I never heard of Clark Mansion or the are park hill and it sounds awesome
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#30 waywr

waywr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:40 PM

The old haunted swimming pool. We used to sneak up there, and into the FW Zoo back in the 80s. More about that later.
For now, you all might be interested in an article on Tincy Eggleston written by a fellow reporter at the Cleburne Times-Review early last year. Eggleston is buried in the Cleburne Cemetery. The article was published Jan. 8, 2009 under the title "A gravestone is not always revealing.
You can search it on the Times-Review's Web site if interested.

#31 austlar

austlar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (waywr @ Jan 6 2010, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The old haunted swimming pool. We used to sneak up there, and into the FW Zoo back in the 80s. More about that later.
For now, you all might be interested in an article on Tincy Eggleston written by a fellow reporter at the Cleburne Times-Review early last year. Eggleston is buried in the Cleburne Cemetery. The article was published Jan. 8, 2009 under the title "A gravestone is not always revealing.
You can search it on the Times-Review's Web site if interested.

So, my recollections were right about the old swimming pool down below the house?? I posted about it here early on, and somebody else was doubtful that there had been a pool. I am remembering things from 50 years ago, so who knows? I looked at an aerial of the hillside with the new Bing browser (very cool overhead views available on that site by the way), and it looks like there is still an old unused pool languishing in ruins beneath what I guess is the newly restored house.

#32 waywr

waywr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:40 PM

Yep. The pool is about halfway up the hill, as is the tennis court. We used to sneak up there and poke around occasionally back in the early 80s. Seems like it was a pretty well known site/destination for high school/TCU kids back then.
A friend of mine, a couple of years older, told me about it. Said him and his frat buddies used to go up there, sneak into the zoo etc.
Didn't know the murder story until I saw it here. Never knew who lived there, but figured it was older people for some reason.
I do remember we drove by the front of the house a couple of times just to see what it looked like. One time, was a group of older people in the gazebo in front of the house, having a party or get together.
Asked a buddy of mine the other day if he remembered that too and he said he did.
I remember the tennis court, left of the pool, was pretty busted up. The pool, which was empty, was old, and bigger than most pools usually found in homes, if I remember correctly. Had a high dive board, which was in rotten shape, looked like it would break if you stepped on it.

#33 austlar

austlar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (waywr @ Jan 8 2010, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep. The pool is about halfway up the hill, as is the tennis court. We used to sneak up there and poke around occasionally back in the early 80s. Seems like it was a pretty well known site/destination for high school/TCU kids back then.
A friend of mine, a couple of years older, told me about it. Said him and his frat buddies used to go up there, sneak into the zoo etc.
Didn't know the murder story until I saw it here. Never knew who lived there, but figured it was older people for some reason.
I do remember we drove by the front of the house a couple of times just to see what it looked like. One time, was a group of older people in the gazebo in front of the house, having a party or get together.
Asked a buddy of mine the other day if he remembered that too and he said he did.
I remember the tennis court, left of the pool, was pretty busted up. The pool, which was empty, was old, and bigger than most pools usually found in homes, if I remember correctly. Had a high dive board, which was in rotten shape, looked like it would break if you stepped on it.

Thank you for validating my memories from around 1953 or 54. It has bugged me since I first posted about this house that maybe there had NOT been a pool or tennis courts, maybe it was just my overworked imagination. How nice to know that it was all for real pretty much the was I remembered it.

#34 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:29 PM

Anyone have any current or past photos of this place?

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users