- - - - -

New Years Celebrations!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:36 AM

So what are the best places downtown for New Years Eve celebrations?

Does Sundance organize anything?

#2 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:13 AM

In 1998 into 99, my girl and I made "cameo appearances" by invitation at two of the major downtown NYE parties to see what the hubbub was all about and if they were really worth $200/ticket... Not sure if much has changed since then, but here's my quick rundown:

The Radisson's party hosted a very drab country-western themed party, while the Worthington's party (presented by 107.5 The Oasis) was very decent.. Good music, great buffet selections, ice sculptures, the whole works .. just can't see the $200 justification ;) ..

The only time I've seen a public outdoor display of new year's fun was two years later for the 2000 festivities at Burnett Plaza .. That was actually pretty wild.. it was almost like a little small-scale Times Square with all these projections onto the NationsBank building, etc..

I don't think it would be too over-the-top for SSq to mount a huge jumbotron atop the Jett Building and have a neat lil' parking-lot party that they've become famous for throwing, but of course, knowing the way things go it would be "the Ameriquest 2005 New Years Eve Spectacular, brought to you by Verizon!"

#3 hahah9703

hahah9703

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:45 PM

you should pick up the Fort Worth Weekly. They always have great New Years Ideas

#4 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

Rumor is that there will be an official New Years Eve Celebration in the Square.  Wonder which local TV outlet, if any, will choose to broadcast the festivities live from the Square?  If so, it might also be, and one hopes, the beginning of regular broadcasting from the Square.

#5 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

Here's a link to the Sundance New Year's Eve Celebration http://www.sundances...eve-celebration

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

I just imagine,

5! 4! 3! 2! 1!

Happy new year everybody! Now get out of the plaza, it's after midnight

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,741 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:09 PM

I can just see those numbers animated on the round digital screen and then it says 2014. 

#8 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

Rumor is that there will be an official New Years Eve Celebration in the Square.  Wonder which local TV outlet, if any, will choose to broadcast the festivities live from the Square?  If so, it might also be, and one hopes, the beginning of regular broadcasting from the Square.

Try dragging the local news media crews from their favorite perch at Victory Park in Dallas over to Sundance Square.  Good luck!

#9 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

I'll bet Channel 5 KXAS-NBS or Channel 11 KTVT-CBS would consider the invitation; Pretty sure Channel 8 WFAA-ABC would stick with Victory-Dallas.I could see Arlington trying hard to get a similar space in the area between the stadiums, but having a New Year's celebration in one of the end-zone plazas outside Cowboy's (ATT) Stadium would probably be the best they could pull together at this point. Another cool broadcast spot would be the central street area at Montgomery Plaza. I can't see a reason each of the four major networks could not broadcast from a different site if they wanted to cover the new year festivities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users