• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#101 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:41 AM

Oh Willy. Please, tell us some more of them stories. DADDY! DADDY! It's HOT!

I bet she threw away all of her My Little Pony dolls after that night.

That was CRAZY.

:blink:
:wacko:
:roflol:
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#102 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:42 AM

Talking about memories flooding back, I remember when Vance Godbey's etc were called smorgasbords instead of buffets! :wacko:

View Post

coincidence... that was going to be the subject of my next post :ph34r:
growing up 'round eagle mountain lake in the early 80s, vance godbeys was an ol' standard.. but there was something quriky about that place that I never really did get to the bottom of.. while the folks would chat my brother and I would hang out in the backyard where they had an ol' cheap swingset .. I remember being puzzled by the presence of a swimming pool wondering "who goes swimming after a meal at a restaurant?" .. if you look back up at the bldg from the back yard it almost looked like a little mini-motel was attached to it.. a 2nd floor exterior catwalk with maybe 4 to 6 rooms.. But they never promoted themselves as an inn, so what the hell was goin on in that joint?? :blink:

#103 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:50 AM

The Godbey's or a family could have lived there.
If they had a nightime frontdesk person perhaps it could be something else. Something like what they do in RENO, NV.
:blink:

Let me guess. If Eagle Mountain Lake (I've never been to) is near a former military base (where my uncle was stationed), then I can kinda get a clear pic of what was going on there. AFTERHOURS.

MOOOHAHAHA MOOOOOAHAHAHAH!
www.iheartfw.com

#104 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:57 AM

...speaking of "smorgasbords", in the old "hubba bubba's" spot on hwy 80, anyone remember "The King's Table"? (which then became Duff's) .. probably FW's original buffet :blink:

#105 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:00 PM

ok ok one more ... :blink:
thinkin about ol' hwy 80 reminded me of this lil restaurant called "Sambos" (which is now "Sinbad's".. sealed all the windows .. looks like a strip bar or something?) .. I don't remember what they served at Sambos but the shape of the sign is the same as the one they're using for Sinbad's.. woop ... late 70s.. now i'm really reachin back in the cobwebs of the hippocampus..

#106 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:15 PM

Wow, Lobs, those are some obscure ones. I definitely remember Hubba Hubbas. As for swimming pools at restaurants see Joe Ts. For a little while though, they weren't the only Mexican restaurant in town with a swimming pool in the middle of a dining area. Can anyone guess the restaurant I'm talking about?

#107 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:19 PM

Talking about memories flooding back, I remember when Vance Godbey's etc were called smorgasbords instead of buffets! :wacko:

View Post

coincidence... that was going to be the subject of my next post :ph34r:
growing up 'round eagle mountain lake in the early 80s, vance godbeys was an ol' standard.. but there was something quriky about that place that I never really did get to the bottom of.. while the folks would chat my brother and I would hang out in the backyard where they had an ol' cheap swingset .. I remember being puzzled by the presence of a swimming pool wondering "who goes swimming after a meal at a restaurant?" .. if you look back up at the bldg from the back yard it almost looked like a little mini-motel was attached to it.. a 2nd floor exterior catwalk with maybe 4 to 6 rooms.. But they never promoted themselves as an inn, so what the hell was goin on in that joint?? :blink:

View Post

Apparently you were just too young to have THAT "TALK" about it. :roflol:
www.iheartfw.com

#108 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:30 PM

As for swimming pools at restaurants see Joe Ts.  For a little while though, they weren't the only Mexican restaurant in town with a swimming pool in the middle of a dining area.  Can anyone guess the restaurant I'm talking about?

View Post

The one in the former Davis mansion? Can't recall the name.

I never ate at Hubba Hubbas, but I remember they had some cheesy commercials on some of the local, non-netword TV stations.

#109 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:05 PM

So does anyone remember a place in Arlington called the China Rose? It's main draw as I remember was the decor inside. The guy who designed the interior had worked for Disney for a while, so when you walked into this place, it was like walking into a courtyard in Hong Kong or something at sunset. There were even sound effects like fog horns and gentle rainstorms, etc. It was way cool. I remember they brought the dim sum around on a trolly al a carte and that was neat. This would have been roughly '84 or so.

#110 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:10 PM

Again, if I'm remembering right, the Davis place was the Hacienda for a while, then Mercardo Juarez. It had a couple of other incarnations, one was a steakhouse, but don't know the name of that one.

As a sidebar (watch entirely too much CourtTV), Notorious on A&E the other night did a whole program on Cullen, Priscilla, et al. Man, Racehorse earned his $$ with that one :blink: .

#111 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:28 PM

The one in the former Davis mansion?  Can't recall the name.

View Post

it first came back as a restaurant in '98 or so as Stonegate Grill after sitting empty for 20 years... I think it's a church now ... go figure

#112 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:32 PM

As a sidebar (watch entirely too much CourtTV), Notorious on A&E the other night did a whole program on Cullen, Priscilla, et al.  Man, Racehorse earned his $$ with that one :blink: .

View Post

That's a pretty nutty story, that whole thing.. and just to think it happened right here on our own lil' Hulen street! .. that cocky showman racehorse haynes had a pretty funny quote bashing priscilla when he threw a party for the defense.. instead of paraphrasing I shall look it up and paste for full effect:

from "All about T. Cullen Davis; The Best Justice Money Can Buy"

---
...A pie-eyed Racehorse Haynes continued to show Priscilla no mercy after the trial was over. Outside the Amarillo nightclub where the defense was celebrating, he spoke to the TV cameras, his arm around Cullen.

"She is the dregs," he said. "She is the most shameless, brazen hussy in all of humanity. She is a charlatan, a harlot and a liar. She is a snake, unworthy of belief under oath. Someone ought to put a barbed-wire fence around her house and not let her out."
---

#113 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:50 PM

"Apparently you were just too young to have THAT "TALK" about it."
---
...A pie-eyed Racehorse Haynes continued to show Priscilla no mercy after the trial was over. Outside the Amarillo nightclub where the defense was celebrating, he spoke to the TV cameras, his arm around Cullen.

"She is the dregs," he said. "She is the most shameless, brazen hussy in all of humanity. She is a charlatan, a harlot and a liar. She is a snake, unworthy of belief under oath. Someone ought to put a barbed-wire fence around her house and not let her out."
---

View Post

[/quote]

(Covering young children's eyes)

Okay, I admit I'm too lazy to look back......Has anyone mentioned the Southern Kitchen? All you could eat platters of boiled & fried shrimp, filet mignons and chicken, and some kind of weird crab thingies, that just kept coming and coming?
Made it into a song by Jerry Jeff Walker.....

#114 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:53 PM

Gary Cartwright's book Blood Will Tell really makes you shake your head. This case (and outcome) was actually more unbelievable than OJ Simpson IMO. I can't even imagine what it would have been like had they had cameras in the courtroom then. Racehorse probably woulda done a tap dance for everyone to keep their mind off what was going on! And didn't we all drive by the house and JoJo's trying to see something :blink: - oops, showing my age again :wacko:

#115 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:58 PM

Yes, I drove by JoJo's, and parked on Hulen and looked out across the fields at the mansion.

#116 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:24 PM

Yes, but have either of you ever tried to reenact the midnight chase scene through the yard? :blink:

#117 ramjet

ramjet

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:36 PM

Hey, here's one... Anyone remember the Farmer's Daughter on University. Just down the street from Jimmy Dips.... Childhood memories.

#118 ramjet

ramjet

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:46 PM

One more. Anyone remember Brittany's on Altamesa in the late 70's. You called in your order on a telephone at the table. Specialty was chili cheeseburgers. Had my first date their while a student at Southwest. Brings a tear to my glass eye...

#119 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:59 PM

Gary Cartwright's book Blood Will Tell  really makes you shake your head.  This case (and outcome) was actually more unbelievable than OJ Simpson IMO.  I can't even imagine what it would have been like had they had cameras in the courtroom then.  Racehorse probably woulda done a tap dance for everyone to keep their mind off what was going on!  And didn't we all drive by the house and JoJo's trying to see something :lol: - oops, showing my age again :o

View Post

That's wild that y'all are talking about Cullen's little house on the hill. When I was in kindergarten I used to go swimming there... My sister was friends with Bev Bass, the girl who ran for help and testified against him. She's now married to Guss, who was shot and paralyzed that night. Bev was a student aid in my kidergarten class and she would take me (teacher's pet - LOL) to the Davis mansion to swim in the pool. That house - back in the day - was amazing inside. When it became a restaraunt I had to go eat there just to walk around the house again... The pool room hadn't changed all that much. It's pretty amazing that it was still able to hold water after all those years sitting vacant. I wonder if the new owners had the pool worked on... I never met Cullen though...

#120 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:10 PM

When it became a restaraunt I had to go eat there just to walk around the house again... The pool room hadn't changed all that much. It's pretty amazing that it was still able to hold water after all those years sitting vacant.

View Post

Yeah, strangely enough, the main "dining room" had that super 1970s round fireplace in the middle of the room... (as featured in the mid 90s made-for-tv-movie!) .. it was pretty eerie eating there knowing what happened... and there was the whole akward "not supposed to talk about it" vibe while you were dining there... but come on -- that's what made the mansion famous to begin with!

I do remember there was some little bridge that connected two rooms on the 3rd floor -- and on that bridge there was a pretty cool view of downtown..

#121 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:48 PM

yeah that was so awesome eating at the mansion by the pool or by the fireplace and as i recal the bathrooms were surrounded by glass so you could see them inside the house but it was a maze to get to them...it was fun eating there while it lasted.....Hubba Hubbas had a great breakfast bar and a cool salad bar that was made out of a 55 chevy...too bad the owner went broke and some poor sucker bought it and lost it all......that part of fort worth has dried up for the most part....

I laughed outloud as i was reading some of the stories here of the restaurants..i cant tell you how many times my dad was kicked out of the spanish galleon...and how we went to the big barn for dinner..the icecream part was the best.....thanks for letting me relive the memories.. :mad:

#122 ramjet

ramjet

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:43 PM

yeah that was so awesome eating at the mansion by the pool or by the fireplace and as i recal the bathrooms were surrounded by glass so you could see them inside the house but it was a maze to get to them...it was fun eating there while it lasted.....Hubba Hubbas had a great breakfast bar and a cool salad bar that was made out of a 55 chevy...too bad the owner went broke and some poor sucker bought it and lost it all......that part of fort worth has dried up for the most part....

I laughed outloud as i was reading some of the stories here of the restaurants..i cant tell you how many times my dad was kicked out of the spanish galleon...and how we went to the big barn for dinner..the icecream part was the best.....thanks for letting me relive the memories.. :wacko:

View Post

#123 ramjet

ramjet

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:49 PM

I laughed outloud as i was reading some of the stories here of the restaurants..i cant tell you how many times my dad was kicked out of the spanish galleon...and how we went to the big barn for dinner..the icecream part was the best.....thanks for letting me relive the memories.. :wacko:

View Post

View Post

ok, so no one remembered the brittany. by the way, loved spanish galleon. they had great stick like hushpuppies. but how about the hayloft on forest park blvd. as a kid i, and my family, were in a commercial for the hayloft that played for about a year in the late 70's. my folks were friends with the owners who were members of travis ave baptist church. anyway, they had great chicken fried steak...

#124 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:19 PM

Ramjet, I do remember the Brittany. Sorry for not responding.

#125 fortworthman

fortworthman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, History, Pop Culture, Sociology, Truth.
    Mundus Vult Decepi - "The World Wants to be Deceived"

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(lobster @ Apr 27 2005, 12:42 PM) View Post
QUOTE(seurto @ Apr 27 2005, 10:56 AM)
Talking about memories flooding back, I remember when Vance Godbey's etc were called smorgasbords instead of buffets!
View Post

coincidence... that was going to be the subject of my next post
growing up 'round eagle mountain lake in the early 80s, vance godbeys was an ol' standard.. but there was something quriky about that place that I never really did get to the bottom of.. while the folks would chat my brother and I would hang out in the backyard where they had an ol' cheap swingset .. I remember being puzzled by the presence of a swimming pool wondering "who goes swimming after a meal at a restaurant?" .. if you look back up at the bldg from the back yard it almost looked like a little mini-motel was attached to it.. a 2nd floor exterior catwalk with maybe 4 to 6 rooms.. But they never promoted themselves as an inn, so what the hell was goin on in that joint??

Before it was Vance Godby's Resturant, it was a home owned by Dave and Lottie Hall. Dave Hall owned D. C. Hall Trucking Co. of Fort Worth. Dave had horses on that property (ranch) and you can still see the stable that is down below the resturant (house). Vance Godby added on the back of the hourse for dinning room space. At the end of the house where you see extra rooms, those were servants quarters and also ranch caretaker plus guest houses. Dave was quite a character and was part of that old Fort Worth group that was a tough self-made millionares that started with nothing and made it big. He alone is a story in its self. He sold it in the 1950's and bought Buddy Markum's ranch west of Fort Worth where Dave died in about 1959.

FortWorthMan

Forth Worth Man

thguru@earthlink.net

#126 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

The topic had shifted directions to discuss food choices in other towns.  Those threads have been split off into a new one titled Food Offerings in Neighboring Cities

#127 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:54 AM

Now there is a Facebook page called "Closed and Forgotten Cowtown Eateries" that continue the conversations of  Favorite Defunct Restaurants with photos.

#128 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

Famous Hamburgers near the Courthouse. No ketchup, no fries, no pickles, no mayo, no napkins. Mustard, onions, host sauce. That was it, other than meat, bread or fried catfish. And if you ever accidentally felt the underside of the countertop while waiting for your burgers, you'd never forget it. :-)

May Nick, George, Manny, and Jimmy rest in peace, wherever they may be.

Craig

Before there was a Famous Hamburgers (on 1st and Main), there was the "Famous Café" (on Main and Weatherford).

#129 elpingüino

elpingüino

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:23 AM

Star-Telegram food writer Celestina Blok has published a book called Lost Restaurants of Fort Worth, available on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.c...-tVL&ref=plSrch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users