• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:28 AM

I was browsing Ebay Ft. Worth yearbooks and ran across a 1927 Ft. Worth High School yearbook called the Junior Purples. What school was this and where is it located?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

#2 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

Fort Worth High School was eventually renamed Central High School (and was housed in the old Parker Junior High building, which is now apartments). Central High eventually became Paschal High, and moved, first into the building which now houses Trimble Tech, and then, into its present plant near TCU.

#3 OfficerWoody

OfficerWoody

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (Owen @ Feb 22 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fort Worth High School was eventually renamed Central High School (and was housed in the old Parker Junior High building, which is now apartments). Central High eventually became Paschal High, and moved, first into the building which now houses Trimble Tech, and then, into its present plant near TCU.

This is not accurate. My father graduated from Central High School in 1927. It had just opened was then in the building that now houses Trimble Tech. If Fort Worth High School was around in 1927 it was either a different high school (which I doubt--the only Fort Worth teams Central played in football in 1926 were Poly and North Side) or more likely a junior high school. It is possible that Central replaced Fort Worth High School, but its location in what is now Trimble Tech was as Central. R. L. Paschal was the principal of Central in 1926-27.

Edit: I notice in the This Day in History thread that on December 10, 1910 Fort Worth High School burned to the ground.

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:18 AM

I checked my listings of the Fort Worth High School (Parker Commons) and Trimble Tech High School at www.fortwortharchitecture.com, and the new high school building at 1003 W. Cannon (now Tech) opened as Central High School. In other words, Central High School replaced Fort Worth High when the new building opened in 1918.

The Fort Worth High School building on Jennings (now Parker Commons) opened in 1911 to replace the burned down Fort Worth High School.

#5 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

junior purple, was junior high school, located on jennings in south side. ernest parker was the principal.on the front of the building it said, fort worth high school.m h moore was the school super.i have several year books from this school dating back to 1923

#6 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

The building first housed Fort Worth HS, which was renamed Central HS, then Paschal HS. When Paschal moved onto a new campus in what is now the Medical District, the Jennings building became a junior high school, and was, for many years, the locus of the FWISD HS Summer School program.

After Paschal moved to its present campus near TCU, Trimble Tech moved onto the old Paschal campus.

#7 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:16 PM

1927 Junior Purples are, oddly, fairly common and turn up in my bookstore and antique mall wanderings and on eBay. Was that the only year it was issued?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users