571 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:56 AM

Not sure how viable FW is, but this will be one of the biggest gets in the nation for whichever city lands it.

http://www.businessw...2--Headquarters

#2 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

It looks like Fort Worth could make a very strong case for that campus.

My blog: Doohickie

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

I think Fort Worth is simply to small. Here's some numbers.

Amazon's 8 million square feet of office space would be  58% of the entire existing downtown office market space (currently 13.7 million sqft) and would be 36% if an additional 8 million square feet were constructed. For comparison, XTO is a little over 5% (They occupy 700,000 sqft).

8 million more square feet would be about 8 Burnett Plazas (1,024,627) or 777 Mains (1,025,252).

I could really only see this landing in a huge market. Dallas, Houston, Chicago, NYC, Philly, or Toronto are my bets.

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:42 AM

That's some interesting perspective. From what I've read, they aren't opposed to a suburban location. I would assume they wouldn't have announced this without already having some key locations in mind.

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

They'd have to build a TON of nearby housing and have huge support from transportation agencies. 

A few suburban comparisons. Exxon's Woodlands Campus is 3 million sqft and can hold 10,000 employees. The Pentagon is 6.5 million with 23k employees. USAA's McDermott Building in San Antonio is over 20k employees in 4.4 million sqft.

A more local example - Air Force Plant 4 is 6.5 million sqft with 17k employees.

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:06 AM

Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce - "We're on it"

We're on it. Central U.S. location: check. Distribution hub: check. Abundant and talented workforce: check. Ability to incentivize: check.

https://twitter.com/...serp|twgr^tweet

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:17 AM

How does this compare to the new Toyota HQ as far as size and worker population?

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:22 AM

How does this compare to the new Toyota HQ as far as size and worker population?

Toyota is 2 million sqft and 4,000 employees.

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

A few more details from the official request for proposal.

Core Preferences Quantity Units Description

Site Requirements
Proximity to population center 30 Miles
Proximity to International
airport Within approx. 45 Minutes
Proximity to major highways
and arterial roads Not more than 1-2 Miles
Close to major arterial
roads to provide optimal
access
Access to mass transit At site
Direct access to rail,
train, subway/metro,
bus routes
Building Requirements
Initial Square Foot Requirement 500,000+ Sq. Ft. Phase I (2019)
Total Square Foot
Requirement Up to 8,000,000 Sq. Ft. Beyond 2027

Fort Worth lags behind in transit especially, but all those requirements are met (although many other cities do) . The 500k sqft initial ask would be a good fit for the vacant XTO buildings, unless they fill up before 2019. 

#10 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:56 AM

It looks like Fort Worth could make a very strong case for that campus.

I hope you are correct. If Texas, its either Austin or DFW.

I would hope that Mr. Bezos knows something about Fort Worth; and maybe he has even visited the City in the past.  I believe that A55 is laying out the City's deficiencies.   The C of C seems upbeat; we will see.  Panther Island, already having a defined development plan in place, should be Fort Worth's offer.

#11 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

They'd have to build a TON of nearby housing and have huge support from transportation agencies.

They could BE Panther Island.  Just let that sink in.

Panther Island is largely an empty canvass adjacent to a downtown area.  They could get the best of both worlds:  suburban in the sense that they could shape the new construction and not be constrained by the existing housing/office stock, but they'd be adjacent to a very clean, stable downtown area (as well as a historic/tourist district on the other side).  AF Plant 4 could just about fit on one side of Main Street in Pather Island, with housing on the other side.  And that's without high rise offices.

And while the mere presence of Amazon would put upward pressure on housing and office prices, Fort Worth is still below average compared to other major cities.

Another plus for Fort Worth is that I think in warm weather areas, hurricanes affecting coastal cities will be a concern.  Yes, Ft Worth gets severe weather in the form of tornadoes and drought, but those are far less disruptive than hurricanes.  (Tornado damage can be just as severe but is contained in much smaller areas).

#12 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

Site Requirements
Close to major arterial
roads to provide optimal
access
Direct access to rail,
train, subway/metro,
bus routes
Building Requirements
Total Square Foot

Fort Worth lags behind in transit especially, but all those requirements are met (although many other cities do) . The 500k sqft initial ask would be a good fit for the vacant XTO buildings, unless they fill up before 2019.

Like you mentioned Austin... the direct access to rail, train, subway/metro is what may ultimately be our downfall.

I do really love Doohickie's plan about using Panther Island.

#13 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

That's some interesting perspective. From what I've read, they aren't opposed to a suburban location. I would assume they wouldn't have announced this without already having some key locations in mind.

Amazon seems to prefer an urban or downtown campus. By suburban, do you mean Frisco, Mid-Cities, Westlake?  Amazon is comfortable with its Seattle-style urban core headquarters and my guess is that it is looking to replicate that atmosphere; not to counter by adding to urban sprawl. 

Texas is centrally located between both coasts.  However, Texas is seen as being too conservative for many of its employees with the exception being Austin, Texas. 

So, Austin or DFW.  Is there a large urban plot of land left within the core of Austin? Is there a large urban plot of land left within the core of Dallas? Austin may win because of its coolness; Fort Worth may win because it has Panther Island.

#14 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

I based that statement on this line out of the RFP: "Urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent".  I agree that they'll probably end up in an urban area.

I love the Panther Island idea, but can office and housing be developed in advance of the flood control infrastructure that isn't exactly paid for yet?

#15 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

Site Requirements
Close to major arterial
roads to provide optimal
access
Direct access to rail,
train, subway/metro,
bus routes
Building Requirements
Total Square Foot

Like you mentioned Austin... the direct access to rail, train, subway/metro is what may ultimately be our downfall.

I do really love Doohickie's plan about using Panther Island.

The mass transit is down the list of preferences.  A rail transit is doable and will likely happen as soon as FWTA turns its attention away from TEXRail; it does seem as though FWTA can do only one big project at a time.  P.I. would be such a self containing environment that transit in and out of it would not be necessarily that important. 50,000 employees could actually walk and cycle to their offices from their residence.

I liked P.I. before Dh.  He did a better job explaining its potential. :swg:

#16 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:12 PM

Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce - "We're on it"

We're on it. Central U.S. location: check. Distribution hub: check. Abundant and talented workforce: check. Ability to incentivize: check.

https://twitter.com/...serp|twgr^tweet

9sVjbty.png

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#17 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

....I love the Panther Island idea, but can office and housing be developed in advance of the flood control infrastructure that isn't exactly paid for yet?

Hasn't funding been secured recently?

P.I. has been a slow and frustrating steady march to fruition to all of us, I would say.  It is unimaginable that funding would be ended at this stage of P.I.'s development when it is on the verge of structural development.  Amazon would have the one time opportunity to control what and how the development will proceed.  Amazon could create a "fantasy" island in the heart of a major city.

P.I. is no longer just a vision, but it is actually becoming a reality.

http://trinityrivervision.org/Projects

#18 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:17 PM

I liked P.I. before Dh.  He did a better job explaining its potential. :swg:

Don't worry, no one's calling into question your hipster cred. We get it: You liked Panther Island before liking Panther Island was cool. :D

#19 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:22 PM

They could pay naming rights and Panther Island could be renamed Amazon Island.  :D

#20 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

A few suburban comparisons. Exxon's Woodlands Campus is 3 million sqft and can hold 10,000 employees. The Pentagon is 6.5 million with 23k employees. USAA's McDermott Building in San Antonio is over 20k employees in 4.4 million sqft.

A more local example - Air Force Plant 4 is 6.5 million sqft with 17k employees.

Toyota is 2 million sqft and 4,000 employees.

I'll toss in one more

Fort Worth's own AA HQ is 1.8 mil sqft with 7k employees

#21 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:18 PM

One other interesting thing to note that I didn't think of earlier. Amazon's distribution and fulfillment center is in far North FW right? maybe that may sway them to come this way.

#22 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

One other interesting thing to note that I didn't think of earlier. Amazon's distribution and fulfillment center is in far North FW right? maybe that may sway them to come this way.

Well, there are distribution and fulfillment centers everywhere. So I don't know how much that would play a part into them placing their headquarters here.  

7fwPZnE.png

#23 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

It wouldn't necessarily make them choose Ft Worth in and of itself, but if they're happy with the relationship with the city to date and the offer is otherwise competitive, it could sway them in a tiebreaker.

#24 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:28 PM

By my count, they have 78 fulfillment centers in the US. I can't see that being much of a factor.

#25 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

As far as Texas and Fort Worth being too conservative. I would say many large companies are liberal are in Texas.  For example. Exxon, Dell, American Airlines. Support of gay right of its employees goes long before gay marriage was legal. Not to mention facebook in Alliance. Heck even Mark Zuckerberg sat with Mayor Price at a rodeo.

But as far as Amazon building a 2nd HQ in downtown Fort Worth with a new skyscraper ? That is a very much a long shot. But some companies want a campus type HQ. So building one is more likely. Even if it is built on a Fort Worth ETJ.

#26 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:40 PM

It would have to be multiple skyscrapers. The tallest building in the world has less than half of Amazon's required square footage. You bring up a good point about liberal vs. conservative companies doing business in Texas. Hopefully, the bathroom bill fades away and SB 4 gets litigated to death.

#27 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:39 PM

Sorry for the double post, but rename asked about TRV funding.  I've gone back and read posts from last year and I'm unclear on where the funding stands. It sounds like it's been approved as part of one bill and appropriated in another omnibus spending bill.  After both bills were approved, there was mention that there was no guarantee the Corps passes up backlogged projects to fund TRV and that the money could disappear in future funding cuts.  My point was that funding still may be in limbo and I was concerned that the funding and construction timeline may not match up with Amazon's wants or needs.  More of a question than a statement.

With all of the cities declaring on social media that their hat is in the ring, I would call any proposal by any city a long shot until the proposals are in at the end of October and Amazon clarifies their intentions.

#28 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

They could pay naming rights and Panther Island could be renamed Amazon Island.  :D

If Fort Worth gets Amazon, they should have name rights free of charge.

• JBB likes this

#29 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:06 PM

By my count, they have 78 fulfillment centers in the US. I can't see that being much of a factor.

Ok. I wasn't aware that there were that many
  • JBB likes this

#30 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:37 PM

The competition will be fierce, but none fiercer than the competition between Fort Worth and Dallas.

Rawlings (Dallas)  wants a regional bid first to eliminate the competition by narrowing down the finalists, then it will quickly do a precision pivot to you know where?  Mayor Price is sounding a bit squishy..."We would love to have Amazon..."   I say "Remember DFW Airport and regionalism"  When it comes to Amazon, it will be every city, state and province for itself.  I hope that Fort Worth will not be gulled into "regionalism' once again.

As for Conservative Texas, one can be certain that "West Coast Amazon" would strike every city in Texas for a HQ candidate if the Far-right, Conservative-religiously controlled Texas State Government had been successful in enacting the Bathroom Bill.  Kudos to Fort Worth for being the first to fight the Texas Government's job and tourist killing actions; we can tout that!

From Post#10, my hope was confirmed.  the FWST reports that Mr. Bezos has been to Fort Worth on many occasions; he loves to eat at Joe T. Garcia's.

#31 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:03 PM

If I were running any city in the region within a reasonable drive of the airport, I would put together a proposal.  I'm with you on avoiding a regional effort.

#32 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

As far as Texas and Fort Worth being too conservative. I would say many large companies are liberal are in Texas.  For example. Exxon, Dell, American Airlines. Support of gay right of its employees goes long before gay marriage was legal. Not to mention facebook in Alliance. Heck even Mark Zuckerberg sat with Mayor Price at a rodeo.

But as far as Amazon building a 2nd HQ in downtown Fort Worth with a new skyscraper ? That is a very much a long shot. But some companies want a campus type HQ. So building one is more likely. Even if it is built on a Fort Worth ETJ.

News 8 did a sit down with Mayor Price about Amazon. And she mentioned Fort Worth's "ETJ" as a possible site.

#33 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:25 PM

What's ETJ?

#34 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:42 PM

Extraterritorial Jurisdiction: http://fortworthtexa...evelopment/etj/

Basically, land that can be annexed.  The story referenced the Alliance corridor and she mentioned "another 350 square miles of ETJ that can annexed and used."

#35 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:05 PM

Sounds like Amazon wants one proposal per MSA. :o This is why Fort Worth and Dallas should be separate MSAs despite commuting patterns.

How are Fort Worth and Dallas supposed to agree on potential sites? Is Dallas going to submit a proposal of their own? If that happens, should Fort Worth submit a proposal of its own anyway?

-Dylan

#36 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:25 PM

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what's the source on that? The language in the first paragraph of the RFP "encourages" it, but doesn't say it's a requirement. It could also be read as 1 proposal per state.

#37 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:31 PM

I think the mayor is already setting the table for failure if she offers ETJ.  Reading Amazon's creed you learn that it is not a suburban loving company. Why would Amazon want something that it is unfamiliar with instead of replicating it so that its workers can move freely between the two HQs?

#38 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:01 AM

Amazon says they would like direct access to a rail station. That means far northern Fort Worth is pretty much eliminated.

I'd love to see Amazon downtown! It's a transit hub, and we could have a new tallest building... or more!

We have a few suburban options if height restrictions can be waived. There's land near Mercantile station, though it's a little ways away from the freeway. There's also plenty of land near the deferred Sycamore School Rd. station.

-Dylan

#39 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:14 AM

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what's the source on that? The language in the first paragraph of the RFP "encourages" it, but doesn't say it's a requirement. It could also be read as 1 proposal per state.

If one proposal per MSA is what they're "encouraging," that's probably what they want.

But you're right- some of the language is confusing. States, counties, etc...

-Dylan

#40 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:42 AM

Amazon says they would like direct access to a rail station. That means far northern Fort Worth is pretty much eliminated.

- Downtown
- Meacham 

- NRH or Richland Hills on 121

(Not-too-distant Future)
- Sycamore School Road/Summer Creek 

7fwPZnE.png

#41 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:58 AM

When you plop a lot on concrete and people. A lot of infrastucture suddenly gets high priority. Look at Jerry's world in Arlington and how I-30 got a massive makover. So I think a rail line in far North Fort Worth would get backing also. Fort Worth Urban. Said the amount of office space Amazon is wanting would take EIGHT Burnett Plaza's to build !

#42 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:13 PM

Basically, land that can be annexed.  The story referenced the Alliance corridor and she mentioned "another 350 square miles of ETJ that can annexed and used."

The ETJ is a loser.  If the Mayor would send a task group to Seattle, it would learn that Amazon is about diversity.  ETJ is neither diverse or urban;  ETJ will not be anywhere near DFW Airport and still be within Fort Worth. 

The only site that would be plausible is Trinity Vision/Panther Island.  Amazon is looking for approximate 300 acres; P.I. is 800 acres.  Amazon is looking for infrastructure, P.I. is installing and could speed up infrastructure for Amazon. P.I. has a river front and parks;  Downtown has the highest ratings of any urban location within Tarrant County.  This might sound over the top, but P.I. is just the kind of place that young, high tech workers would desire to live and work.  If Amazon did visit the City, they could see and learn from the P.I. Marketing Office in Downtown the plan and how it is and has progressed.

If the Mayor is counting on an ETJ proposal, Fort Worth will be among the first cities to be eliminated from the competition.

#43 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:02 PM

Harsh words for ETJ. Oh well I still enthusiastically support ETJ. Having said that I would not mind a downtown Fort Worth Amazon HQ.

The huge amount of office space. Not to mention parking space needed ? Even if by some miracle half of Amazon employees use public transportation to and from work. Height restrictions on Panther Island would further spread out the HQ campus. And lets not forget that the TRV is also suppose to be a entertainment area also. No one wants TRV to be a ghost town after business hours. I say that city hall should for the time being, have ETJ and Downtown in the works.  

Dallas will push for Amazon HQ in its downtown. Because that is pretty much all they have to offer that I see. 

#44 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

The ETJ is a loser.  If the Mayor would send a task group to Seattle, it would learn that Amazon is about diversity.  ETJ is neither diverse or urban;  ETJ will not be anywhere near DFW Airport and still be within Fort Worth. 

The only site that would be plausible is Trinity Vision/Panther Island.  Amazon is looking for approximate 300 acres; P.I. is 800 acres.  Amazon is looking for infrastructure, P.I. is installing and could speed up infrastructure for Amazon. P.I. has a river front and parks;  Downtown has the highest ratings of any urban location within Tarrant County.  This might sound over the top, but P.I. is just the kind of place that young, high tech workers would desire to live and work.  If Amazon did visit the City, they could see and learn from the P.I. Marketing Office in Downtown.

If the Mayor is counting on an ETJ proposal, Fort Worth will be among the first cities to be eliminated from the competition.

Panther Island isn't our only plausible option, and doesn't have a rail station.

But yes, proposing our ETJ would be a huge mistake.

-Dylan

#45 NSFW

NSFW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Bike riding, Trinity Trails, food, supporting local business. Buy Local!

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

Mayor Price needs to point out Panther Island as THE site for Amazon to consider. There very few cities that can offer lake front property in close proximity to downtown with the land requirements that Amazon is looking for. Also something Mayor Price needs to point out is the amount of students that are in the colleges and universities in Fort Worth. The current student population will be a valuable asset to Amazon. 

Although, Fort Worth does not have the rail/subway system I don't see that as being a big negative selling point. We do have the Trinity Trails. 

You know, why should we wait on Mayor Price or anyone else? Everyone should start promoting Fort Worth to Amazon via social media. 

#amazonfortworth

Adrian

#46 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:38 PM

(1) Harsh words for ETJ. Oh well I still enthusiastically support ETJ. Having said that I would not mind a downtown Fort Worth Amazon HQ.....The huge amount of office space. Not to mention parking space needed ? (2) Even if by some miracle half of Amazon employees use public transportation to and from work. (3) Height restrictions on Panther Island would further spread out the HQ campus. (4) And lets not forget that the TRV is also suppose to be a entertainment area also. No one wants TRV to be a ghost town after business hours. I say that city hall should for the time being, have ETJ and Downtown in the works.  

(5) Dallas will push for Amazon HQ in its downtown. Because that is pretty much all they have to offer that I see. 

(6) Panther Island isn't our only plausible option, and doesn't have a rail station.....

(1) Annex where and purchase land from whom, at what cost, and at what resistance?   P.I. is 800 acres. Amazon Seattle is less than 300 acres.

(2) Amazon workers do use public transportation and do live within walking distance to their jobs.

(3) Height restrictions are regulations; all regulations can and do get variances when an important issue is at risk

(4) TRV is a place to live, work and play.  It encompasses every aspect of a Downtown.  P.I. is being marketed as "uptown" and as an extension of Downtown.

(5) Where is there 100 or 200 or 300 or anything of that magnitude for a campus in Downtown Dallas?  Does Dallas use imminent domain or does it issue mandatory evacuation of current office workers to make room for 50,000 new Amazon workers?

(6) Where else is a plausible urban option within Fort Worth. ETJ is by its nature Extra Suburban; it is beyond current suburbs.  Land is scare in Downtown. Owners will wait out for the best price that they can get; and some will not want to sell or their are heir issues.  There are even people like Cleopatra.

Without a doubt, P.I. is the ultimate option that Fort Worth can make to Amazon.  10-15 years of work has already been accomplished; property has be secured,

bridges are being constructed, roads are being laid, the environmental reports have been finished and approved.  

Rail transit is not a permanent problem; efforts are underway now to get rail transit for the City.  Rail connection will be completed in 2018 from Downtown/P.I. to the Airport.

Its time to know where and what options you believe are better or even comparable to "uptown" P.I.

#47 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

Mayor Price needs to point out Panther Island as THE site for Amazon to consider. There very few cities that can offer lake front property in close proximity to downtown with the land requirements that Amazon is looking for. Also something Mayor Price needs to point out is the amount of students that are in the colleges and universities in Fort Worth. The current student population will be a valuable asset to Amazon. 

Although, Fort Worth does not have the rail/subway system I don't see that as being a big negative selling point. We do have the Trinity Trails. 

You know, why should we wait on Mayor Price or anyone else? Everyone should start promoting Fort Worth to Amazon via social media. 

#amazonfortworth

Great Idea!!!!!

And if Betsy won't; Kay will.

I understand that Mr. Bezos likes Fort Worth, the food and the people.  So he knows about Cowtown.

Fort Worth, like Dallas and other cities will be facing some tough competitors from across the continent. However, I do believe or expect Amazon to seek a central location instead of an East Coast location; the cities of the CST: Chicago, Kansas City, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio.  Unfortunately, Houston and New Orleans as possibilities have been greatly diminished by the scenes of Hurricanes; Houston will take decades to recover from Harvey.  A temperate climate will be important.  A central location/airport makes travel between Seattle and HQ2 under 3 hours; and NYC/Boston/WDC have very expensive costs of living that will add additional pressure and hardship on entry level tech workers; and the East Coast is 4-5 hour flight to and from Seattle.  I don't know enough about Austin, Texas but it will be Fort Worth's greatest competition.

American Airlines - Give a shout out for Fort Worth!.

#48 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:37 AM

While Mayor Price is talking about ETJ, there is a discussion ongoing of what our nearest competition would like to present to Amazon. Does anything come in mind?  Reading the link below, you will not find anything about Fort Worth, except for a comment "Is there anything in Fort Worth?...Does it [FW] even have a chance?"  Now I have my doubts that neither Fort Worth or Dallas will land Amazon; but I do think that Fort Worth will show better than Dallas in the evaluation.

http://dfwu.dallasme...df6e1fb15#p7484

#49 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

A decent article about some of the issues involved in this:

http://www.slate.com...n_s_new_hq.html

#50 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

Slate willows it down to North Texas and Atlanta.  Is there a greater distance between two points than Seattle to/from Atlanta?  Location places NT and Austin in good positioning. Cost of living places NT in good positioning. 

Dallas is very willing, but its not ready to go. Talk about Fair Park, Central Park/Trinity River Park/Farmer's Market/Deep Ellum would require a "speed of sound" effort to patch together a campus area. 

Fort Worth has an underway, shovel ready river front project at the footstep of its Downtown.  I believe we are ready!

And even if we do not get Amazon, the word about Fort Worth will have gotten out to other corporations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users