unknowntbone's Content

There have been 17 items by unknowntbone (Search limited from 19-November 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#65919 Channel 5 is moving.

Posted by unknowntbone on 06 July 2011 - 10:53 AM in Local History

I believe that Alex Burton's 'pet rubber plant Arthur' was the only prop used on the set of Midnight News.

#64958 history of jacksboro highway

Posted by unknowntbone on 31 March 2011 - 07:51 AM in Local History

There's a book written by Levon Helm, drummer of The Band, that briefly discusses the group's experience playing on Jacksboro Highway. (Probably not enough info for your research though)
Also, any information you can find on Delbert McClinton and the Straightjackets will surely mention bars and clubs on 'the Highway'
Also, in Yahoo Groups, there's a group of former Cellar employees, musicians, and patrons that would be more than willing to share any Jacksboro Highway 'first-hand' accounts. (The Cellar, after all, had it's genesis out on Jacksboro Highway)

#64957 history of jacksboro highway

Posted by unknowntbone on 31 March 2011 - 07:47 AM in Local History

hello everyone

i am new here on the forum. my name is bea gallegos. i need any information on the history of jacksboro highway. i have seen post here about that, but have not been able to have anyone respond. i am doing a project for my american lit class. really would appreciate any help. thank you.

bea

#64939 When milk came to your door....

Posted by unknowntbone on 30 March 2011 - 07:43 AM in Local History

Our milkman in Wedgwood would actually come INTO the house--through the garage--and stock up our fridge. No need for locks in the late 60's. Our order form was on the refrigerator door.

#63265 Foods that are History :(

Posted by unknowntbone on 21 October 2010 - 10:46 AM in Local History

Growing up in Wedgwood, I remember fondly Haas Hamburgers (now Charlie's), as well as Ernie's over in the Westcliff Shopping Center.
Another burger joint--Hamburger Heaven--on McCart took quite a bit of my money as well.

#63264 Barbrook Park

Posted by unknowntbone on 21 October 2010 - 10:28 AM in Local History

Unless I'm mistaken, one of the original owners of Barbrook Park sold his share, and moved to Port Aransas where they operated some little fishing cabins.
I haven't been there since the '60s, but I seem to remember the concession stand being made out of an old wooden boat.
And as I write this, the land is being used for a gas well site. (imagine that!)

#62643 Seminary South Shopping Center

Posted by unknowntbone on 07 September 2010 - 05:10 PM in Local History

Saginaw mentioned earlier the Barber's book store near the Buddies entrance. I seem to remember it being named BOOK NOOK.
And Bill Mack working at KCUL-1540AM. The radio station was right next to the Buddies entrance also. Very discreet--not many people even knew a radio station was there.
And yeah, Murphy's--MONO LP's for $2.66--Stereo for $3.66.

#62642 Idea For Long Term Protection of Historic Buildings

Posted by unknowntbone on 07 September 2010 - 04:46 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

I wish I still had my first Lionel train set, or my steel Tonka Toys. I wish my mom had kept that '57 Chevy Two-Ten. But I seem to remember all of them wearing out, rusting, and becoming increasingly dangerous to own--no longer useful. So now they're all gone.

As much as we may love an old building--or natural space, for that matter--we have to weigh its usefulness to us as well as its effectiveness to its intended purpose. The OLD library downtown was a great building, but it was no longer useful as a library. The same is true of the old City Hall--(and the new City Hall, but that's a different topic). Historians lament the loss of Hell's Half Acre, but it had become an urban blight. Now, we can argue the architectural merits of their replacements, but there's no denying that the Convention Center and the Main Library are effective in their intended use. There's no doubt that we lost some historically significant buildings, but I believe it was necessary for this city in it's development. There's also no doubt that we will lose OTHER historic buildings in the future. But it may be necessary for this city to grow and remain vibrant into the future.

Don't get me wrong--I LOVE the old buildings and admire the work of the preservationists--but sometimes we have to choose our fights and let the others go the historical archives. After all, that old '57 Chevy never had seat belts or airbags. No power steering. It had drum brakes. And the radio was crappy.

#62354 1849 Village on University

Posted by unknowntbone on 26 August 2010 - 03:55 PM in Local History

Don't forget Jack Gordon, the movie critic of the Fort Worth Press. He and Perry Stewart both had particular seats in the theater that they preferred to sit in.
I was a doorman there in the early days, and if we knew one of the critics was coming to the theater, I would sit in the preferred seat when the doors opened so no one else could sit there. When Gordon or Stewart showed up, I would have to go back to tearing tickets.

#62349 Historic Preservation in Fort Worth: Good or Bad?

Posted by unknowntbone on 26 August 2010 - 01:18 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

I can't answer many of your questions because I'm not very familial with the policies, rules, and guidelines of Fort Worth Historic Preservation (if that's even what it's known as) But I am a lifelong resident of Fort Worth and I have seen both successes (Magnolia and Fairmount) and failures (Hells Half Acre, 7th St. Theater)
I can't say if we're better off or worse off for having preserved (or lost) these areas. I DO think that if a party buys a property with no 'preservation strings' attached, then that party has the right to do whatever they want to do with it--legally, of course--without ANY preservationist encumbrances.
I guess that when we started developing land outside the gates of the original fort, we started destroying the tallgrass prairie that used to dominate the landscape of this area. So maybe an absolute preservation would be to bulldoze the whole shebang. Since we can't do that, I guess we need to pick our battles carefully--and well in advance--while respecting the rights of the property owners.

#62157 Fort Worth University

Posted by unknowntbone on 19 August 2010 - 03:25 PM in Local History

Before he was known as SUPERFROG, the TCU mascot was known as ADDIE after Addison Clark.

#61848 Southcliff Center -- history

Posted by unknowntbone on 02 August 2010 - 12:47 PM in Local History

QUOTE (bailey @ Aug 1 2010, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Doohickie @ Aug 1 2010, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (360texas @ Jul 27 2010, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another Story goes... whole shopping center was scheduled to be sold to barnett shale oil company... alot of store fronts moved out. Sale fell through with the price of natural gas.

According to this article, the sale was completed. I think they canceled the plans for the drilling for the time being, but they do own the shopping center according to that.

My current bike commute route takes me there that area. I guess the recently demolished Wedgwood Bowl was not part of Southcliff, but it was right next to it. Across the street and behind the old Wedgwood Theater (at Wedgeway and Wonder) are what look to be an old Pizza Hut and Dairy Queen. The Dairy Queen is empty but the Pizza Hut building now holds Yupp's bar.

Wedgwood Bowl was there many years prior to the building of Soutcliff Center but was just behind it. Hard to believe but the Wedgwood Animal Hospital is one of the oldest buildings in the area and was built somewhere about 1959. You are correct about the old Dairy Queen and Pizza Hut. The apartments across the street are to be demolished.

That's right. In fact, if you wanted to go from Southcliff Center to the Wedgwood Bowl, you actually had to enter Granbury Rd. and drive around to Wonder Dr. to get to it---or just hop the curb.

#61847 Ren Clark's Polynesian Village

Posted by unknowntbone on 02 August 2010 - 12:43 PM in Local History

QUOTE (bungalowed @ Aug 2 2010, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone here know any details of the Polynesian Village which was Ren Clark's restaurant attached to the Western Hills Hotel from 1960-1969? I am researching the restaurant's history.

Thanks,
Kevin

I can only remember one thing. It was strictly a "special occasion" restaurant for my family. My first Caesar Salad was at the Western Hills, and it was made tableside with a raw egg and anchovies. (quite an adventurous meal for a small lad)

#61766 The Last Supper

Posted by unknowntbone on 28 July 2010 - 10:45 AM in Local History

It should be on display to the public now at the Christian Arts Center at 3205 Hamilton, near the Arts District.

It first showed up in the Ridglea Shopping Center in the '50s, then was on display downtown at a location I can't remember. It then moved back to the west side at the offices of the Radio and Television Commission in Ridgmar until 1997.

#61732 Places I worked in early 1950

Posted by unknowntbone on 27 July 2010 - 04:15 PM in Local History

I've wondered, detail larry, if Virgil Bourland had anything to do with that little airstrip out by the old Pate Museum.
I think it's called 'Bourland Field" or something.

#61731 Southcliff Center -- history

Posted by unknowntbone on 27 July 2010 - 04:04 PM in Local History

Yeah. Heinrich's Pastries. I believe he learned the trade working for Kleinschmidt's Bakery over on 7th Street.
Heinrich's was known for always employing cute girls to work the counter. What I'd give now to be able to buy a bearclaw from Gale! Oh yeah.

#61568 Fort Worth Nite Life

Posted by unknowntbone on 16 July 2010 - 03:15 PM in Arts and Entertainment

[quote name='817.TX.' date='Apr 26 2010, 09:51 AM' post='60652']
Where do you go when you wanna have a drink after that long day at work or have dinner with the wife or that special someone?? Just looking for a few extra options when I head out for a nite in FORT WORTH!!

I Iike to go to Razoos in Downtown! Then maybe head over to The Library! Lots of places to go in downtown!! Where else is there to go?? cool.gif
[/quote

Wherever they sell Rahr beer and serve authentic Bufflalo-style wings is where I'll be. There's only two places that I know of that can do that--Buffalo Bros. and the patio at Buffalo Bros. (oh, and there's sports all over the place, too)