13 replies to this topic

#1 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

Just northwest of Loop 820 on White Settlement Road is some kind of facility that looks like it has bunkers on it and a large loop road. You can see in the property maps of the area that the ownership is a big circle, too. This is not that far from Carswell and someone said it might have been an ammo dump or something similar. Anybody know the story?

Google Satellite view
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#2 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

Nun uf yer bizness <_<

Dang it, now you got me curious.
My blog: Doohickie

#3 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Storage for the Roswell aliens?? :unsure: :roflol:
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#4 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

I am doing a survey in the area and while working on the map I see that the US Government still owns the center of the site. The loop road is actually a lease road to service the gas well sites and probably not related to the installation.

#5 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

According to several web sites, the was Carswell's nuclear weapon storage and assembly area, known as the "Q Site" or "Q Area".

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

I remember as a kid it had something to do with Carswell.

#7 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:50 AM

I would have to agree that it was the Carswell Weapon Storage Area. It surprises me that they would store them so far from the base.

historicaerials shows the site existed since 1956 and hasn't changed much since.

This site has an interesting briefing on the remediation that has occured on the site. It looks like they would ultimately like to sell it off for residential use.
https://afrpaar.lack...RSWL_AR_771.pdf
https://afrpaar.lack...RSWL_AR_768.pdf

Using Bing, you can get a good look at the bunkers.
http://binged.it/LAjEtc

#8 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

I think we can safely conclude it is an ammo dump.

A portion of the property ringing the site has been sold off, but the bunkers are still federally owned.

I am surprised to think that nuclear weapons would have been stored outside the confines of Carswell AFB itself. Conventional, sure. But nuclear raises all kinds of security and shipping questions.

As for this thread, I would encourage anyone to continue the topic with different pics. We do this on a surveying website that I frequent and some of the pics are very interesting and challenging. Obviously I would recommend Fort Worth/Tarrant County centric pics.

#9 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

The property is now a US Army Reserve Center. The Army solicitation for bids to build it had the following statement:

Access to the ARC site is from White Settlement Road along a 2-lane asphalt road that runs north to the site. The site for the new ARC has been previously developed and exists as an abandoned Weapons Storage Area (WSA). The fenced area around the WSA is approximately 70 acres and contains 2 munitions inspection shops, an entry control building, 16 ordnance storage buildings (including 11 earth-covered bunkers), and paved roadways. Demolition of selected pavement, buildings, foundations, and other items will be required. Additional government-owned property surrounds the WSA.

Hey, Brian, is it possible for you to get a long-distance photo of the site with the new buildings?

#10 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

While I Know this is an ancient post I couldn't help but respond to it. I had someone I Know who did a photo set of this site back when they were looking at possibly selling it. HE told me about it and I like some one here mentioned was surprised it was so far from the base. I asked my Dad about it, retired from CAFB, and he sort of chuckled and said of course the main warheads were stored offsite, the base was known and if attacked the last thing you wanted was it to get bombed which in turn would set of our own bombs. I remember during the Vietnam era DFW was said t be listed as one of the top 10 hit sites for Russia due to CAFB, GD, LTV, NAS in Grand Prairie, and more minor sites. He told me a story of one time they were hauling a bomb down White Settlement road in to the base to be loaded on to a B-52 and one of the straps broke and it rolled off the truck in to the middle of the road. Obviously it was not armed nor did it have a ore in it, that was carried separate so no worry of exploding but one hell of an ass chewing ensued when they go to the base. One of the guys on the truck was a good friend of his who I got to know as I grew up and man could they tell stories! He worked with nuclear weapons his whole adult life and sadly died a few years back from multiple issues with cancer but always said he wouldn't have taken one day back even knowing it was going to one day kill. Definitely of that era of men who took pride in protecting our country. 

#11 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 08:44 AM

Fort Worth’s water risks contamination from proposed private landfill, residents say

https://www.star-tel...e282121943.html

#12 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 21 November 2023 - 03:58 PM

I stand with the residents

#13 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 14 December 2023 - 07:58 PM

Hundreds of Tarrant residents turn out to decry landfill fiasco near Lake Worth

https://fortworthrep...ear-lake-worth/

IMG_0385-scaled.jpg

#14 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 07:46 AM

From looking at pictures on its website, my impression is that the RV resort directly overlooks the existing quarry/landfill site. As such, reactivation of the site as a new landfill/recycling center might wreck the resort business, which seems like an immediate downside to permit approval, that's more certain than nebulous environmental and traffic concerns. In other words, I think the new landfill could remediate environmental impacts and contribute to widening roads, but nobody could bring back the lost resort business—the two commercial uses seem incompatible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users