#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

On Monday, at lunch, I had a chance to go on the roof of the Blackstone Courtyard by Marriott.  The views are pretty nice from just outside the 21st Floor.  This level houses mechanical equipment and the roof of the tower of the hotel is only present on three sides.  The weather was cloudy and visibility was not at its best, but I hope all of you enjoy the view.  I want to thank the management of the hotel for allowing me access to the roof.  This is not a view you will get if you rent a room. 

Finials and HVAC Equipment

finials.jpg

The Convention Center

ccfromblackstone.jpg

Looking southwest along 7th Street

7thstfromblackstone.jpg

The Star-Telegram Building:

fairfromblackstone.jpg

The Fort Worth Club:

fwclubfromblackstone.jpg

The Tower:

towerfromblackstone.jpg

Sinclair Building.  If you will note, I have a view of the Blackstone Hotel on the website taken from the roof of the Sinclair Building.

sinclairfromblackstone.jpg

The Renaissance Worthington Hotel

worthfromblackstone.jpg

The Courthouse:

chfromblackstone.jpg

City Center Towers:

ccdcfromblackstone.jpg

Finally, the new Sundance Square Plaza, only five days away from opening at that time.  Note the lack of pavers actually laid in the plaza on Monday.

ssqfromblackstone.jpg

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

Um wow! The Sinclair, The Tower, and the City Center Towers are my favorites of those. Beautiful views.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Thanks.  I was up there originally on October 7th for an inspection of Historic Fort Worth's façade easement on the building.  We were told that we would be going to look at the façade from the public areas.  I guessed we would be on some of the balconies and the roof of the annex.  They took us up to the roof of the building so we could see the condition of the terra cotta all the way up.  Unfortunately, I forgot my camera and it was a beautiful clear day.  Since then, I have been trying to work out a day when I could return.  Last Monday, was that day, but it was cloudy.  However, I'm sure I will be able to go back.

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

It looks like its in fantastic condition. Really interesting to be able to see that close up. The workmanship of some of these historic buildings is just incredible to me.

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

They don't build them like they used to.  The Blackstone is one of our treasures.  It's too bad that all of the original interior was gutted in the 1950's when Hilton took over and remodeled the hotel.  The Sinclair is also a beauty.  Here's a link to the photo that I took of the Blackstone from the roof of the Sinclair Building: http://www.fortworth...blackstone2.jpg

#6 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

Great photos, John!

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

Thanks.  It's a really nice place to view the city.

#8 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:11 PM

That rooftop bar is going to be great!   (Sinclair Hotel)

I agree.  I have been on the roof and it has some great views. (Sinclair Hotel)

On Monday, at lunch, I had a chance to go on the roof of the Blackstone Courtyard by Marriott.  The views are pretty nice from just outside the 21st Floor.  This level houses mechanical equipment and the roof of the tower of the hotel is only present on three sides.  The weather was cloudy and visibility was not at its best, but I hope all of you enjoy the view.  I want to thank the management of the hotel for allowing me access to the roof.  This is not a view you will get if you rent a room. 

Finials and HVAC Equipment

finials.jpg

The Convention Center

ccfromblackstone.jpg

Looking southwest along 7th Street

7thstfromblackstone.jpg

The Star-Telegram Building:

fairfromblackstone.jpg

The Fort Worth Club:

fwclubfromblackstone.jpg

The Tower:

towerfromblackstone.jpg

Sinclair Building.  If you will note, I have a view of the Blackstone Hotel on the website taken from the roof of the Sinclair Building.

sinclairfromblackstone.jpg

The Renaissance Worthington Hotel

worthfromblackstone.jpg

The Courthouse:

chfromblackstone.jpg

City Center Towers:

ccdcfromblackstone.jpg

Finally, the new Sundance Square Plaza, only five days away from opening at that time.  Note the lack of pavers actually laid in the plaza on Monday.

ssqfromblackstone.jpg

Is there plans to open a rooftop venue atop the Blackstone?

Without a doubt, such a venue would be awesome and is worthy of consideration given the plans at the Sinclair and its proposed companion hotel across from the Sinclair.

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:11 PM

From looking at the roof on Google Earth, the Blackstone's doesn't have near as much flat space because of its terraced design and houses a lot of HVAC equipment. Certainly not impossible, but a bit more of a chore. The observation deck on the roof of 30 Rockefeller in NYC has 3 terraced levels up to the unobstructed views on the top deck. That's obviously on a much larger scale, but it works.

#10 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:56 PM

.....the Blackstone's doesn't have near as much flat space because of its terraced design and houses a lot of HVAC equipment. Certainly not impossible, but a bit more of a chore.....

Certainly, what is being planned by their immediate neighbors ought to spur the Blackstone into looking into doing something to its rooftop.  I recall seeing an old photograph where hotel guests were lounging on the rooftop.

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

The only rooftop large enough for a viewing deck is outside the 14th or 15th floor (depending on whether you count the 13th).  That is on the east side of the building.  I also think that is the deck where older photographs were taken.  Several of the outdoor porches have been enclosed and brought inside to be part of the rooms in the course of time.  All of the other decks are fairly small and only have room for a table and chairs.  The roof areas that are accessed on the 21, 22, and 23rd floors are also small and they have mechanical equipment on them. Personally, with the amount of equipment that I have seen up there, I would doubt that they could be made accessible to the public.  Another thing to consider is that the elevators only go to the 20th floor and we had to take an access stair to the 21st floor, just to go out on the roof.  The 22nd floor is mostly elevator equipment, and the 23rd floor is just an enclosure to make the "top" of the building.

#12 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:01 PM

It will be a shame for those finials to continue to go unappreciated. :(

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:39 AM

Rename, they can be appreciated if you rent a room that has a terrace.  There are several that open out to the small decks on each set back. The room with the nicest deck is the one on the 14th or 15th floor.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Skyscraper Views, Photography

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users