Photo
- - - - -

Tarant County Courthouse. History, details?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:07 AM

I searched and didn't find a whole lot about it, but can you guys fill me in on the details? Like construction, dates, pics? And any other interesting info. I remember seeing a very old panoramic picture somewhere of it years ago, filled with people around it and on the rooftop. Like it was just built by those guys or something. Thanks.

#2 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE(Funkdoobiest @ Feb 13 2006, 10:07 AM) View Post

I searched and didn't find a whole lot about it, but can you guys fill me in on the details? Like construction, dates, pics? And any other interesting info. I remember seeing a very old panoramic picture somewhere of it years ago, filled with people around it and on the rooftop. Like it was just built by those guys or something. Thanks.

Can't help with pics right now but here are some facts:
There have been three Courthouses in Ft. Worth.
A special election was held in 1860 designating Ft. Worth as the county seat and construction began that year on the first courthouse. Because of the Civil War it was only partially complete. Onece the war ended it was completed as a two story stucture. It was destroyed by fire 3-29-1876.
Using old stones from the destoyed courthouse, constuction began on a second. This courthouse was cross-shaped and had a domed center axis.
After the railrod came to town Ft. Worth grew rapidly and they outgrew the existing courthouse by the late 1880s.
A new plan was drawn up by James J. Kane to expaned the existing structure. This planned included more courtrooms and a clock tower replacing the the old dome. By the 1890s the courthouse was once again two small.
in 1893 $500,000.00 was approved to build a new courthouse. Gunn & Curtiss were hired as the architects to buildthe courthouse we have today.
Interestingly, The Courthouse was one of the first buildings in the Southwest to use a structural steel frame.
The cornerstone was laid on 3-17-1894.

In the 1950s there was an electric American flag that was on the dome top!

There is plenty more on the history, construction and plenty of photos available at the Courthouse, UTA, Amon Carter and more. Hope this helps. smile.gif

Johnlp

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,414 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:54 AM

Go to The Jack White Collection on this site and you will see many photographs of the Courthouse, including one with the neon flag. You may not find the particular photo you are looking for, but there are several there. Each photo carries a brief history of either the photo or the building. This should be of some help.

#4 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:47 PM

For lack of a better place to post this, when I drove by yesterday I noticed that the cancerous growth attached to the Courthouse has been cut off. The connection between the two buildings where the west stairs used to be is completely gone and a loader was driving back and forth between the two buildings scooping up debris. Wonder when they are going to bring it down and by what method?
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#5 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Nov 29 2006, 05:47 PM) View Post

For lack of a better place to post this, when I drove by yesterday I noticed that the cancerous growth attached to the Courthouse has been cut off. The connection between the two buildings where the west stairs used to be is completely gone and a loader was driving back and forth between the two buildings scooping up debris. Wonder when they are going to bring it down and by what method?

About time.

#6 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:01 PM

ABOUT DARNED TIME!

--

Kara B.

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:30 AM

Wonder when they are going to bring it down and by what method?

I don't think it can come down until the replacement is built on the site where Dismuke's favorite building was just demolished. I don't remember if the funding for that building is already in place or is part of an upcoming bond election.

#8 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:18 AM

I was told that the AC for the old courthouse is on top of the one that's scheduled for demolition, and that nothing can be done until money is approved and somebody figures out where to put the new AC equipment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users