#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:08 PM

I thought we would do something different. Last July, Dismuke ran a little contest to identify a historic building in Brownwood. I thought I would give it a try from some photographs that Doug supplied the forum. These photographs are aerials from 1942 and are in the public domain. There are two different landmarks depicted in each photograph and you are to identify them by their appearance from aerial photographs taken in 1942. They are both within the current city limits of Fort Worth and north is up in both aerials. The first person to identify Historic Site No. 1 will win a $25 gift certificate or equivalent to their favorite restaurant. The first person to identify Historic Site No. 2 will win a $25 gift card to Barnes & Noble or Borders (winner's choice). There could be two different winners. If the same person identifies both sites, then they will win both prizes.

Please make only one guess per forum member. Once you have posted your answer here, it goes into the record. You may not change your answers, so be careful when you post. The contest will run the first week in August. I will not reveal the answer until at least late in the day on August 7th. If a correct answer(s) is/are given by Sunday evening August 7, then the first person with the correct answer(s) will be awarded the prize(s). If there are no correct answers by the end of the first week, then clues will be given until someone comes up with a correct answer(s).

Remember, these are taken from 1942 aerial photographs of the city. The two sites may have changed over the course of time. The quality is not the best, but they are the highest that Doug could scan these. I want to wish everyone good luck in figuring the identity of these two sites.

Historic Site No. 1:
Posted Image

Historic Site No. 2:
Posted Image

#2 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:50 PM

I know the first one but I'm not really too interested in the prize so I'll let y'all guess. Looks a lot better back then than it does now, that's for sure.

No clue about the second one.

#3 Shocker

Shocker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:27 PM

Pure guess. #1 Paschall High School. #2 Locomotive repair facility with turntable South of Park Place, North of Berry St, East of what is now 8th Ave.

#4 Shocker

Shocker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:28 PM

Pure guess. #1 Paschall High School. #2 Locomotive repair facility with turntable South of Park Place, North of Berry St, West of what is now 8th Ave.

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:34 PM

1. Paschall H.S.

I figured that one out fairly quick and waited to type an answer after racking my brain over the second one for quite awhile and after Shocker had a chance to answer.

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:23 PM

I think Shocker gets them both. He should only take one prize and throw the other back into the hat for another similar contest. I got in late or I would have had a chance at winning :frown:

#7 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:15 AM

1) Will Rogers. :frown:
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#8 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:43 AM

#2) I couldn't come up with a name of this site but my guess is that it’s the area just west of where Luella St and Elm St intersect - - between Elm St and Jones St north of Stephenson St. Generally speaking, its directly east of the Convention Center and just west of 35W and north of Lancaster.

#9 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:51 AM

1. McLean Jr. High School :frown:
2. Locomotive repair site 8th/Elizabeth-ish.

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:04 PM

Well, this was actually too easy. Within 1 1/2 hours after posting this, Shocker was the first one with the two correct answers. Suerto was the only other one with two correct answers, even though Prairie Pup stated indirectly the answers. JBB correctly identified Paschal and Jonny stated that he knew the site that the photo identified.

The correct answers are:
1. Southwest Junior High School/McLean Junior High School or currently R.L. Paschal High School. It is interesting to note the landscape features on the campus and how far back the original building was set back from Forest Park Blvd. It appears from this aerial that Hare & Hare Landscape Architects designed the site plan. They planned the landscaping for many of the Fort Worth Public Schools constructed in the 1930's.

2. Frisco Rail Yards west of 8th Avenue between W. Arlington and W. Bowie Street.

Shocker, if you will drop me an e-mail or PM, giving me your mailing address, I will get these prizes to you in about two weeks. Also, I will need your selection of restaurant and book store.

In a few days, I will delete the heading for the contest and move this thread over to the Local History Section.

#11 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:49 PM

Congratulations Shocker - Well Played!!!! :D

#12 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:27 PM

Congrats Shocker. I was oh so very close.

For an out of towner. :D
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#13 Shocker

Shocker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:46 PM

Thank you all. I don't have a problem with Prairie Pup's suggestion of another contest and I'll put up one of my prizes. I just got lucky that I was logged on right when the contest started, so others didn't really get a chance. Maybe John and I can come up with something.

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:19 PM

Shocker, E-mail or PM me with the information that I need and I will get your prize. I'll be thinking of another quiz for the forum.

#15 Doug

Doug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth<br>Tennis

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:23 PM

Congrats Shocker,

Am looking for better old aerial negs to scan and mosaic. I thought the 8th ave yard with roundhouse located on the present post office might be a bit more difficult, but the forum has some bright people.

The outdoor theater on Cantey at the school is a vivid memory for me -- anyone know when it was removed?

#16 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:25 AM

Congrats Shocker,

Am looking for better old aerial negs to scan and mosaic.  I thought the 8th ave yard with roundhouse located on the present post office might be a bit more difficult, but the forum has some bright people.

The outdoor theater on Cantey at the school is a vivid memory for me -- anyone know when it was removed?

View Post

I've been trying to remember. I was at PHS 70-74 and it was there at least part of the time. They may have taken it out around 74ish as parking was at such a premium. Then, of course, they built the field house there. We never did use it, but apparently the classes before us used it for pep rallies. There was nothing but the stage part left; it looks like in the photo that there used to be seating or something. I guess way too many of us baby boomers were driving by then :wink: . Someone might remember more specifically when it was taken out. I would be very curious to know.

#17 m lambert

m lambert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jul 31 2005, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought we would do something different. Last July, Dismuke ran a little contest to identify a historic building in Brownwood. I thought I would give it a try from some photographs that Doug supplied the forum. These photographs are aerials from 1942 and are in the public domain. There are two different landmarks depicted in each photograph and you are to identify them by their appearance from aerial photographs taken in 1942. They are both within the current city limits of Fort Worth and north is up in both aerials. The first person to identify Historic Site No. 1 will win a $25 gift certificate or equivalent to their favorite restaurant. The first person to identify Historic Site No. 2 will win a $25 gift card to Barnes & Noble or Borders (winner's choice). There could be two different winners. If the same person identifies both sites, then they will win both prizes.

Please make only one guess per forum member. Once you have posted your answer here, it goes into the record. You may not change your answers, so be careful when you post. The contest will run the first week in August. I will not reveal the answer until at least late in the day on August 7th. If a correct answer(s) is/are given by Sunday evening August 7, then the first person with the correct answer(s) will be awarded the prize(s). If there are no correct answers by the end of the first week, then clues will be given until someone comes up with a correct answer(s).

Remember, these are taken from 1942 aerial photographs of the city. The two sites may have changed over the course of time. The quality is not the best, but they are the highest that Doug could scan these. I want to wish everyone good luck in figuring the identity of these two sites.

Historic Site No. 1:

Historic Site No. 2:

Old round house on the south
M Lambertside.

#18 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:37 AM

#1 Early Will Rogers or the shroud of Turin.
# 2 That Federal depot thing, near Seminary South, or the shroud of Turin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users