9 replies to this topic

#1 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

Here is the new plan for the East Loop 820 and Hwy 121 Expansion.

From Randol Mill north to Trinity Blvd, 820 will add three free lanes in each direction (five total, from two currently).

From Trinity north to the 820/183/121 split, it will add one free lane and one toll lane in each direction.

The last mile or so of Hwy 121 before it merges with 820 will also get a toll lane in each direction.

There will be a open house this Thursday. http://www.txdot.gov...rth/100517.html

#2 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

What about the only two lanes in each direction from 20 to just south of 30  :-\

My blog: Doohickie

#3 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

And so, it begins... 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#4 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:26 AM

What about the only two lanes in each direction from 20 to just south of 30  :-\

I know TxDOT has plans for rebuilding that segment, but it is a lower priority as the traffic there isn't as bad.  That said, that freeway does need improvements, given the outdated geometrics.  In order to stay on 820 entering southbound from Meadowbrook, you have to jump over 2 lanes within the space of 1/4 mile or so.  And there is no acceleration lane at all getting on northbound at Craig Street.  I used to frequent that area and would avoid the Craig Street onramp due to its dangerous configuration.

Also, something has to be done about that bottleneck going west on 820 from the 121/183 on-ramp where 4 lanes merge into 2.  Ultimately a third free lane will be added from 35W to the 121/183 interchange as stipulated in the contract with the company operating the Texpress Lanes.  But I'd personally like to see a westbound third lane added now from the Holiday Lane offramp to the Texpress Lanes entrance ramp at Rufe Snow (where the left lane would have to enter the express lanes, with the right two free lanes continuing on).

And as for the segment from Randol Mill to 183 in Hurst, here's what will be built initially.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#5 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:48 PM

That section of 820 (most of it) is part of a separate project called the Southeast Connector. There are details in the powerpoint on this page.

http://www.txdot.gov...-connector.html

#6 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:54 PM

Long overdue.  Thanks for the info.

My blog: Doohickie

#7 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 12:47 PM

It's probably worthy of another thread, but construction on 820 from Pipeline through the 121 interchange to Randol Mill has gone into full swing in the last few weeks.  Shoulders are closed off along most of that stretch for grading and utility work, the ramp from 121 north to Hwy. 10 is closed, and ground work for the direct connector between 121 north and 820 south has started.

Good to hear, thanks for the update.

#8 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 09 February 2023 - 10:22 AM

I thought we had a separate topic for the project on 820 between Randol Mill and Pipeline Road.  I'm on a bit of a freeway boondoggle kick today.  Hundreds of millions of dollars going into this project and it appears that they are not replacing the Trinity Blvd. overpass that dates back to when they freeway was built 60 years ago.  It's probably properly sized for the traffic it gets, but how long do they expect it to last given the expected growth in that area?  The replacement of the similarly aged 10/183 overpass to the north is nearly complete (I seem to remember stories of that being one of the most dangerously deteriorated bridges in the state at one point.)

I wonder if since the jobsite office for that bigger project is right there at Trinity Blvd on the west side of E. Loop if they are delaying construction of Trinity Blvd Bridge so they could use it during construction?  Just my speculation.

Maybe, but they poured brand new center dividing walls around the supports for the old bridge early on in the project. I would be surprised if they would tear all of that out to demo and replace so soon.

#9 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 18 February 2023 - 01:55 PM

S-T Reports on more lanes for NE Tarrant County:

https://www.star-tel...e272537552.html

I would like to know why this wasn't in the last expansion design?  Every time I read an article about this stretch of highway makes me wonder what kind of closed door deals are afoot?

#10 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 08:29 AM

S-T Reports on more lanes for NE Tarrant County:

https://www.star-tel...e272537552.html

I would like to know why this wasn't in the last expansion design?  Every time I read an article about this stretch of highway makes me wonder what kind of closed door deals are afoot?

one more lane bro...

https://www.youtube....rts/0dKrUE_O0VE

• TLA likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users