#4 TCU football and ESPN Gameday this weekend

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 TexasPacific52

TexasPacific52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Railroad fan, Boyscouts, Photography and some backyard birdwatching

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:50 PM

Your very own TCU Horned Frogs are now number 4 in the country and looking at going to a possible national championship. This weekend is the biggest game of the year with Utah coming to town. ESPN Gameday announced today they will be broadcasting live from the campus Saturday morning.

If you haven't been keeping up then you've missed a lot of good press for TCU and Fort Worth lately. The game this weekend is probably going to sell out so get your tickets while you can.

It's been a long time since Fort Worth or the Metroplex has had this much attention on one of their college football teams. This weekend may be a good time to get some good photo's of this big event.

#2 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

VERY, VERY, VERY COOL! WAY TO GO TCU! UT just dropped to third, just one in front of little 'ole private school TCU. I'm lovin' every minute of it. So proud of TCU! I'm coming to Fort Worth for the big game next weekend. Can't wait. I hope Amon Carter stadium sells out....

#3 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (TexasPacific52 @ Nov 8 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your very own TCU Horned Frogs are now number 4 in the country and looking at going to a possible national championship. This weekend is the biggest game of the year with Utah coming to town. ESPN Gameday announced today they will be broadcasting live from the campus Saturday morning.

If you haven't been keeping up then you've missed a lot of good press for TCU and Fort Worth lately. The game this weekend is probably going to sell out so get your tickets while you can.

It's been a long time since Fort Worth or the Metroplex has had this much attention on one of their college football teams. This weekend may be a good time to get some good photo's of this big event.

This is pretty exciting stuff for TCU. I have come to every game and these kids always put on a great show. The disappointing thing is this area can't even come close to filling up the stadium. I hope that changes this weekend. Even the local newspapers show no respect. Last weekend, SMU won a crummy game and was on page 1 of the sports section of the Dallas Morning News while they stuck the TCU win on about page 10. It's that way every week and the Star Telegram isn't much better. It's hard to understand why UT can draw over 100,000 to every game and TCU barely can draw 30,000. Does anyone understand how big a deal this is for them to be #4 in the nation? What an accomplishment against all odds.

Come on people. What do they have to do to get some respect and support? Coach Patterson and his kids deserve better from the people of Fort Worth.

#4 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (bailey @ Nov 9 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's hard to understand why UT can draw over 100,000 to every game and TCU barely can draw 30,000.

A massive imbalance in number of alumni and students makes it a lot easier to understand. DFW is filled with alumni from many schools and most just aren't going to get excited about watching Utah, BYU, etc.

#5 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

It's hard to understand why UT can draw over 100,000 to every game and TCU barely can draw 30,000.

TCU graduates about 1500 students a year where as UT Austin graduates 7k. That is a huge alumni willing to go to games given the fact that a big percentage try to stay in Austin after graduation. When I was a student at UT it was really difficult to get tickets while most of the stadium consisted of alumni and season ticket holders.

Either way I would love to see and would almost dread a UT/TCU bowl game.

#6 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (txsloth @ Nov 9 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A massive imbalance in number of alumni and students makes it a lot easier to understand. DFW is filled with alumni from many schools and most just aren't going to get excited about watching Utah, BYU, etc.

I am not a graduate of TCU but I grew up in Fort Worth and have always supported their program. They are after all the home team. Amon Carter stadium capacity is only 44,000. With a metroplex population in the millions and a winning program, selling 44,000 should not be that difficult. There are high school teams in the metroplex like South Lake Carroll that could draw close to that probably. If you like good college football at a dirt cheap price, there is not a better deal around.

On the positive side, I heard today the game Saturday is officially sold out and I don't think that has happened too many times.

#7 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (bailey @ Nov 9 2009, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the positive side, I heard today the game Saturday is officially sold out and I don't think that has happened too many times.

It's the 3rd sellout (and the first for an out of state opponent).

#8 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (txsloth @ Nov 9 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (bailey @ Nov 9 2009, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the 3rd sellout (and the first for an out of state opponent).

They are now selling standing room only.

#9 Dr Quest

Dr Quest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:27 AM

There's a lot of talk (not much good) about TCU's new uniforms they'll will be showing off this weekend. I kinda like them and while they're old uniforms looked good they were a little too high school-like....the new uniforms will be fine as long as they win.

http://www.star-tele...ry/1749333.html

#10 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

Dunno what's with the photos accompanying the story: that bright blue is supposed to be PURPLE!

#11 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (Owen @ Nov 10 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dunno what's with the photos accompanying the story: that bright blue is supposed to be PURPLE!

Here's another look:

http://www.nike.com/...es09?school=tcu

#12 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

The color in the Nike ad looks a bit truer. I'm aware, BTW, that purple is one of those colors that tends to suffer under the articficial lighting used at most stadiums these days. The other night, while watching a game between Virginia Tech and East Carolina, I noted that ECU )colors purple and gold) had also rolled out new uniforms, and the purple looked bright blue under the night lighting.

#13 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:46 PM

Mayor declares 'Go Purple Day' for TCU Horned Frogs
Posted Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2009
By ALEX BRANCH

Horned Frog fever has reached City Hall.

Mayor Mike Moncrief has declared Friday "Go Purple Day" and encouraged residents to wear purple on the eve of No. 4 Texas Christian University's football game against the No. 16 Utah Utes.

Several Fort Worth landmarks, including the Avenue of Lights on West Lancaster Avenue, the Chesapeake Energy headquarters and downtown buildings, will illuminate purple lights this weekend.

"Coach [Gary] Patterson and his team have placed Fort Worth on the national stage, and we are all very proud,”" Moncrief said. "Let's show our visitors from Utah we are ready and have our game faces on, as well as our colors."

Amon G. Carter Stadium has sold out for the 6:30 p.m. Saturday kickoff, and ESPN's College Football GameDay show will broadcast from the campus commons Saturday morning.

TCU is hoping to finish the season unbeaten for the first time since 1938

#14 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (jefffwd @ Nov 11 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mayor declares 'Go Purple Day' for TCU Horned Frogs
Posted Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2009
By ALEX BRANCH

Horned Frog fever has reached City Hall.

Mayor Mike Moncrief has declared Friday "Go Purple Day" and encouraged residents to wear purple on the eve of No. 4 Texas Christian University's football game against the No. 16 Utah Utes.

Several Fort Worth landmarks, including the Avenue of Lights on West Lancaster Avenue, the Chesapeake Energy headquarters and downtown buildings, will illuminate purple lights this weekend.

"Coach [Gary] Patterson and his team have placed Fort Worth on the national stage, and we are all very proud,”" Moncrief said. "Let's show our visitors from Utah we are ready and have our game faces on, as well as our colors."

Amon G. Carter Stadium has sold out for the 6:30 p.m. Saturday kickoff, and ESPN's College Football GameDay show will broadcast from the campus commons Saturday morning.

TCU is hoping to finish the season unbeaten for the first time since 1938

What a great thing for TCU and Fort Worth. No amount of money could buy the publicity this game is getting. This program has been building ever since Gary Patterson took over as coach. I heard on ESPN today the comment that TCU was possibly overall the best college team in the country if you looked at all phases of the game. This team has been the best kept secret in college football but that is quickly coming to an end. Fort Worth owes a great deal to Gary Patterson for all he has done for the program and the city. Unlike others, he has not used his years at TCU to promote himself to other colleges. Let's hope he sticks around for a long time as I have a feeling recruiting is going to improve even more and he already is one of the best in the country in finding and utilizing talent others miss. If you are at the game or watch it on TV Saturday, watch him on the sideline. I've never seen any coach work harder. GO FROGS.

#15 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (bailey @ Nov 11 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Unlike others, he has not used his years at TCU to promote himself to other colleges. Let's hope he sticks around for a long time as I have a feeling recruiting is going to improve even more and he already is one of the best in the country in finding and utilizing talent others miss...

But, I'm sure other schools are noticing. It wouldn't surprise me if this was his last year here. There may be a job opening at Notre Dame ;-)

I hope they do well also, but until they get in an A-list conference, its unlikely that they will go all the way.

#16 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:53 PM

I hope they do well also, but until they get in an A-list conference, its unlikely that they will go all the way.

Sorry, all the A-list conferences are full-up or nearly so. The Big 10 has room for one more (rename it the Big North and split it into two devisions like the SEC, Big 12, etc.). The Pac 10 has room for two more to make it the Pac 12. In both the aforementioned cases, the reason why the conferences aren't expalding lies in a rather snooty conference culture revolving around the supposed quality of the member universities. All other A-list conferences have reached their optimum size and configuration. What really has to change is the BCS and its dominattion by snooty folk who believe that, except for the West Coast, quality football stops at the Great Plains.

#17 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (Owen @ Nov 12 2009, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What really has to change is the BCS and its dominattion by snooty folk who believe that, except for the West Coast, quality football stops at the Great Plains.

Its not snootiness, its about filling stadiums. MWC, C-USA, WAC etc. probably wouldn't fill a bowl stadium.

BTW, I would love to see a TCU (or Boise or Cincinnati) matchup with any of the a-list conference teams in the top 20.

#18 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (mmiller2002 @ Nov 12 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (bailey @ Nov 11 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Unlike others, he has not used his years at TCU to promote himself to other colleges. Let's hope he sticks around for a long time as I have a feeling recruiting is going to improve even more and he already is one of the best in the country in finding and utilizing talent others miss...

But, I'm sure other schools are noticing. It wouldn't surprise me if this was his last year here. There may be a job opening at Notre Dame ;-)

I doubt that Gary Patterson would leave for Notre Dame. It is a death valley for coaches and I just don't think Gary would fit in there. There isn't anything politically correct about Patterson. He just coaches and wins football games and many schools are looking for a PR man more than a coach. PR isn't his thing. By the time he coaches a practice or game, his voice is gone if you haven't noticed. Look at Texas. Mack Brown is a great guy and a great PR man and recruiter but his assistants do the coaching. There isn't any question at TCU who coaches the defense and he is one of the best around. You saw what happened to Fran after he left TCU. He went down the toilet without Patterson coaching his defense.

As far as filling stadiums and winning games, Baylor does neither and they were selected for the Big 12. Go figure. TCU would have been a much better selection. Also, when you have teams like Texas and OU coming to town, it is much easier to draw big crowds. There is no question TCU is a better team than many or most of the teams in the Big 12. TCU, BYU, and Utah should all be in A conference in my opinion.

#19 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (bailey @ Nov 12 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as filling stadiums and winning games, Baylor does neither and they were selected for the Big 12.

Baylor in Big 12 = Ann Richards

#20 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:06 AM

TCU 55, Utah 28. It would have been an even bigger blowout if the Frogs had made fewer mistakes in the Red Zone. But the announced crowd of 50,000+ (largest ever to see a Frogs home game) got 10+ points for every 1000 spectators. I saw the game out here in Irvine; it looked very good, and the purple in the new uniforms actually showed up decently in the artificial lighting.

#21 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:50 AM

It was some 50+ years ago that my dad first took me to a TCU football game. I have attended their games ever since. I've seen it all from Abe Martin, Fred Taylor, Jim Pittman, Billy Toehill and all the other coaches up to Gary Patterson. I've watched great players like Norman Bulaich, Ross Montgomery, LT, and on an on. I've attended hundreds of TCU games and while this game had a lot of hype, I wondered if it would really be different. I've seen some big crowds on occasion but usually it was because the visiting team brought a lot of their supporters. This game was indeed different and like nothing I have ever experienced at a TCU game.

I arrived and parked my car 3 hours before the game and started my mile walk to the stadium. Even 3 hours before the game, people were everywhere. I wondered if they would come into the stadium or remain at their tailgate parties. The gates weren't open when I arrived so I stood around and watched the crowd build at the gates. Three hours before the game, the lines were already long. When the gates opened, I took my usual walk to stand in back of the south end zone to watch the players come in. The walkway behind the end zone was rapidly becoming crowded and the rush to buy TCU shirts and caps in the store behind was crazy. I usually remain behind the end zone until the band comes through about an hour before the game but it was clear that there was no way they could get through the crowd. I started for my seats one hour before kickoff and it was like grid lock at a soccer game. Each step took a minute.

I sit in the upper deck and an hour before the game started, it was clear the stadium would be filled to capacity. I've never seen the place packed like this and it was loud the entire game. I wondered how the players would respond to the crowd and boy did they deliver. Their performance in such a game was stunning but right in line with how they have played the last month. I don't think Utah knew what hit them.

It would be great if every home game would be like this. I waited 50 years for it and it was worth the wait. It's been a long time since I've been so hyped up for a game. As good as this team is, they are even better with a 12th man behind them. There is one game left and I hope the stadium is filled again. This team deserves it. Miracle seasons don't happen very often and this team can play with anyone.

#22 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (bailey @ Nov 15 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was some 50+ years ago that my dad first took me to a TCU football game. I have attended their games ever since. I've seen it all from Abe Martin, Fred Taylor, Jim Pittman, Billy Toehill and all the other coaches up to Gary Patterson. I've watched great players like Norman Bulaich, Ross Montgomery, LT, and on an on. I've attended hundreds of TCU games and while this game had a lot of hype, I wondered if it would really be different. I've seen some big crowds on occasion but usually it was because the visiting team brought a lot of their supporters. This game was indeed different and like nothing I have ever experienced at a TCU game.

I arrived and parked my car 3 hours before the game and started my mile walk to the stadium. Even 3 hours before the game, people were everywhere. I wondered if they would come into the stadium or remain at their tailgate parties. The gates weren't open when I arrived so I stood around and watched the crowd build at the gates. Three hours before the game, the lines were already long. When the gates opened, I took my usual walk to stand in back of the south end zone to watch the players come in. The walkway behind the end zone was rapidly becoming crowded and the rush to buy TCU shirts and caps in the store behind was crazy. I usually remain behind the end zone until the band comes through about an hour before the game but it was clear that there was no way they could get through the crowd. I started for my seats one hour before kickoff and it was like grid lock at a soccer game. Each step took a minute.

I sit in the upper deck and an hour before the game started, it was clear the stadium would be filled to capacity. I've never seen the place packed like this and it was loud the entire game. I wondered how the players would respond to the crowd and boy did they deliver. Their performance in such a game was stunning but right in line with how they have played the last month. I don't think Utah knew what hit them.

It would be great if every home game would be like this. I waited 50 years for it and it was worth the wait. It's been a long time since I've been so hyped up for a game. As good as this team is, they are even better with a 12th man behind them. There is one game left and I hope the stadium is filled again. This team deserves it. Miracle seasons don't happen very often and this team can play with anyone.

Thanks for your great post. I'm still high from the night (naturally). Exciting, electric, and one for the memory books. Way to go Horned Frogs! Any scenario for a UT/TCU match-up?

#23 Dallastar

Dallastar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for your great post. I'm still high from the night (naturally). Exciting, electric, and one for the memory books. Way to go Horned Frogs! Any scenario for a UT/TCU match-up?
[/quote]

There is a possibility if Texas and TCU wins out, and Florida loses to Florida St. and Alabama loses to Florida in the SEC Championship, but those are a lot of "if's", plus the eastcoast westcoast hatred of Texas don't want that to happen.

#24 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

There is a possibility if Texas and TCU wins out, and Florida loses to Florida St. and Alabama loses to Florida in the SEC Championship, but those are a lot of "if's", plus the eastcoast westcoast hatred of Texas don't want that to happen.
[/quote]

The one miracle that could happen would have the Aggies beating Texas. It's not likely but has happened before.

It's amazing how TCU continues to get no respect. An article I read today remarked at how all the top 4 teams had outstanding defenses. It went on about all the pro prospects at Alabama, Florida, and Texas. It then said TCU had a bunch of converted running backs that Texas wouldn't take. I think Jerry Hughes might take some exception to that. TCU has and has had some outstanding players on defense. Can't you just envision Jerry Hughes playing for the Cowboys on the opposite side of Demarcus Ware? Talk about a speed rush. Hughes amazes me every time I see him play.

#25 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:37 PM

I sure hope TCU doesn't get stuck playing Cincy or Boise. That wouldn't prove anything to the rest of the country. It'd be good to see them play a top, big name, 1-loss team!

#26 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:50 PM

An appropriate and timely headline for this thread, as TCU is once again rated #4 in college football country.   Go Horned Frogs!

http://www.star-tele...in-college.html

#27 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:28 AM

The team doesn't seem to have the buzz around it as four years ago, but this is great. Maybe that's because everyone is waiting for the other shoe to drop and Baylor to jump them because of the head-to-head matchup? The greatest scenario would be for both TCU and Baylor to win out and complete bedlam to happen in the SEC in a way that pushes both of them into the playoff. Wishful thinking, but it would be fun.

#28 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

They definitely don't have the support of the building owners in downtown like they did back in 2009! Back then they were turning the tops of all the buildings purple all weekend. This year- not so much. Spoiled by success I guess...

#29 Dallastar

Dallastar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:31 PM

The new college playoff system is a SCAM!.  How does TCU fall from 3 to 6 when they destroyed (they actually held back some) their opponent by 50 plus points.  I guess no matter what system they use somebody who feels more deserving will be left out.

Economically it works out better for the local economy not to have neither Baylor or TCU in the mix if they were to make it to the Championship game.

#30 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

Big 12 needs to relook at the rules . So if TCU Baylor story happened again. And it can . What will make a conference champion ? And the Collage playoffs needs to expand to 8 games.   Side note this years drama. Will only make SMU football recruiting program even harder . Young men who want to make a name for themselves. Will not want to go to SMU. And the TCU Baylor OU's will not want to play a SMU . The Bowl committee has made it clear "Strength of schedule" is here to stay !

#31 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

Don't know about college football, but NASCAR's newly implimented playoff system is a comlete joke. :mad: Playoffs do not belong in auto racing.

-Dylan

#32 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:20 PM

I think the committee really liked TCU, but with all the whining from Baylor and with Ohio State demolishing Wisconsin, they had no choice, but to leave the Big 12 out. Can't wait until Baylor comes to Fort Worth next year. Both teams should be in the top ten pre-season. TCU should be in top 3 IMHO.

#33 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:36 PM

So a clearly subjective process was dressed up with an objective 4 team playoff that is still selected through a mostly subjective process and everyone isn't happy with the outcome? I'm shocked. (Don't remember the sarcasm font for those that are slow on the uptake.)

I agree that an 8 team playoff system makes more sense and the rankings this year show a pretty clear delineation between the top 8 and everyone else as far as win-loss records go. Unfortunately, the NCAA has stated that they won't change the structure until the end of the initial 12 year TV contract with ESPN. Even if the system is expanded, there's still plenty of opportunity for teams to get left out.

#34 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:36 PM

Big 12 needs to relook at the rules . So if TCU Baylor story happened again. And it can . What will make a conference champion ? And the Collage playoffs needs to expand to 8 games.   Side note this years drama. Will only make SMU football recruiting program even harder . Young men who want to make a name for themselves. Will not want to go to SMU. And the TCU Baylor OU's will not want to play a SMU . The Bowl committee has made it clear "Strength of schedule" is here to stay !

Co-Champions seems right and fair to me; if two or more people hold the same lottery number; they are co-winners..Expand playoffs to eight teams....Schedule other Power 5 teams...End the Notre Dame Exception.

If Alabama is #1 based upon its pathway to the CFB, than it is unfair to have excluded TCU from the CFB as it had an identical pathway to the CFB as did Alabama.

#35 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:01 PM

Heard a lot of we got all "name-brands" in the playoff from ESPN.

They will have to expand this thing to at least six (I'd prefer eight) to make sure no deserving power five conference champ is left out.

My top 8 (as if anyone cares)

1. Florida State

2. Oregon

3. Alabama

4. TCU

5. Baylor

6. Ole Miss

7. Mississippi State

8. Ohio State

Will be rooting for Oregon as I don't want to hear another word about the SEC, Jameis Winston or Ohio State's great trio of all-world QBs.

#36 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:31 PM

I don't see how anyone can put FSU #1 if TCU would be favored over them on a neutral field by 7.5 points (which is the case right now in Vegas). 

I'm rooting for Ohio State and FSU to be routed, and for TCU and Baylor to roll.  I'll feel good if at least one of the ESPN talking heads says something along the lines of "maybe the committee's ranking wasn't so accurate after all."

#37 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:26 PM

Dale Hanson will go "Unplugged " about the playoff system tonight at 10.

#38 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:50 PM

I don't see how anyone can put FSU #1 if TCU would be favored over them on a neutral field by 7.5 points (which is the case right now in Vegas). 

I'm rooting for Ohio State and FSU to be routed, and for TCU and Baylor to roll.  I'll feel good if at least one of the ESPN talking heads says something along the lines of "maybe the committee's ranking wasn't so accurate after all."

Pretty sure you get your wish on both tOSU and FSU. They are both frauds.

Dale Hanson will go "Unplugged " about the playoff system tonight at 10.

Ooo. I better set the DVR, this should be good!

#39 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

I think the committee really liked TCU, but with all the whining from Baylor and with Ohio State demolishing Wisconsin, they had no choice, but to leave the Big 12 out.

Yeah, I agree a lot with your take.  Baylor hiring a PR firm and probably ready to file a lawsuit in McClennan County; and fearing the circus antics that would create, I think the CFB chose Ohio State as a convenient escape door.

I have not heard everything that Coach Patterson had to say about the selection, but I will say this for him and TCU - they showed a great amount of class and respect for the process.  TCU congratulated the four teams and their fans.  Coach Patterson again demonstrated that he must set the example for young men come the good or the bad.  The favorite comment that I loosely remember at this time about this season coming from Coach Patterson was him saying that his team had made itself, TCU and Fort Worth proud and that they were champions for doing all of that.  With a perspective like that one, why would Fort Worth ever need a professional team?

Go Horned Frogs!

#40 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

As a rooting free agent (my school, UTA doesn't have a football team and I hate my wife's team, TTU) I couldn't be more proud of them.

They've been great representatives for the city of Fort Worth.

Will be a season ticker holder next year and I'd be shocked if they weren't in next year with all of the offensive playmakers returning and a few tweaks on defense this offseason.

#41 FWFD1247

FWFD1247

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:22 PM

I think it's awesome the class that Coach Patterson and the Horned frogs showed this season which I feel surpassed all other "championship" caliber teams. With that said I was disappointed with Baylor and grew annoyed of the constant whining of and bringing up their 3 point win and overlooking being beat by WV which TCU proceeded to beat 2 weeks following.

I feel that by the CFP leaving either Baylor or TCU out of the playoffs they might as well hand the trophy to Alabama now because I am not too impressed by any of the other conferences.

16atmjd.jpg

#42 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:06 PM

It hard to adequately express the amount of esteem that I have for TCU, Coach Patterson and his team.  I believe he said it best recently in the Fort Worth Star Telegram -

Patterson said he is glad to have done it all at TCU.

“At some point in time, you become more than a coach with the university, you’re an ambassador for it,” he said. “You don’t just make a decision to win football games, you make decisions that make the university better, especially at a small private school because you can have an effect.

“For me, it’s been about giving back. For all your success, you want people to have success with you. What I had the most pride in, we’ve been able to show off the Texas high school coaches and their kids and we’re able to show off the university and the town of Fort Worth and the Metroplex. Even after the Rose Bowl, I got a lot more, ‘Thank you for what you did for Fort Worth,’ than I ever did ,‘Thanks for going 13-0 and winning the Rose Bowl.’”  FWST  December 2014

And this from The Peach Bowl 2015 - Atlanta

They, too, also appreciate the head coach, as bowl president Gary Stokan said Tuesday.

“I’d like to congratulate coach Patterson not only for the five coach of the year awards,” Stokan said, “but to me, more importantly, the class he’s exhibited throughout the whole college football playoff process.

“In this business, you teach as much as you coach. I think what Gary taught not only his players, but all of us in this business, to rise above adversity is a lesson I’m sure those kids will be able to use later in life.”

Stokan didn’t have to name any names. Everyone at TCU knows what he meant.

Go Horned Frogs!

#43 Dallastar

Dallastar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

Hope you guy's are watching TCU is kicking some serious arse! Take that SEC and Championship Playoff committe.

#44 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:11 PM

TCU putting on some serious domination. Loving it.

#45 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

All that talk about the Ole Miss defense. Apparently they forgot about who OUR coach is... 

Go Frogs! 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#46 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

Hope you guy's are watching TCU is kicking some serious arse! Take that SEC and Championship Playoff committe.

And too, all of the Metroplex recruits.  Love that Patterson knows that DFW and Texas is bursting at the seams with talent that is every bit the equal of the SEC.  Tomorrow is Baylor's day to make its statement.

#47 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

Glad to hear that TCU is the first Big 12 school to make a statement this bowl season.

#48 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:23 AM

Sorry for the double post, but yesterday was a bad day for the SEC. Two teams that were camped out in the top 5 for much of the year were beat pretty soundly.

#49 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:56 AM

What is obviously needed is FEDERAL OVERSIGHT! We need to get congressman Joe "Smoky" Barton on this as soon as possible; might even get bipartisan action going:

http://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/bud-kennedy/article4460841.html

Sorry, some NYE frivolity must have spilled over onto the new calendar.

#50 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:02 AM

NYE frivolity from a column that was published 3 weeks ago?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users