• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

The Star-Telegram article by Gordon Dickson is about plans to build a highway loop east of Weatherford, which would improve traffic flow and open the areas between Fort Worth and Weatherford to future commercial and residential development. A knee-jerk reaction to the spurt of growth in the greater Weatherford area? What interests me here is that, once again, motor vehicular traffic takes precedence over light rail or other alternative modes of transportation. Before car fans jump on me, I don’t believe regional planners need to be reminded that the auto is a major cause of urban sprawl. This would have been an opportunity to put in a rail transit system in this area for more efficient growth management before urban sprawl makes it more difficult. I suppose initiating such a system in sparsely populated areas (at least for now) is not economically feasible nor is there the political will for it. It's only when the area gets congested that planners call for light rail.

http://www.star-tele...nk=omni_popular

#2 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

While it is a opportunity for rail, we seem to think building a road is a better idea. *cough*Chislom Parkway*cough* So I doubt that'd happen. I'll champion and hope for it, but the rail should come first I think. Rail is a (not THE, but A) solution to road congestion, but why should we plan on road congestion and waste, then try to fix it by building rail (which will be after they've landlocked the road to be as big as it can be).

Look out Weatherford, the sprawl is coming for you.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Sprawl is already present in Weatherford, to some degree.

#4 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

An alternate description would be expansion to meet demand, rather than sprawl.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#5 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

Sprawl is already present in Weatherford, to some degree.

I agree. But making sure the gaps are filled in is more of what I'm referring too.

An alternate description would be expansion to meet demand, rather than sprawl.

The key to expansion to meet demand is to do it right in the first place. If it's not working elsewhere, repeating the same mistakes is the definition of stupid. Most people I know in Weatherford (which, honestly is only a few) don't work in DFW, they work West and North of Weatherford. So the expansion would just bring them more into the Metroplex forcing them (much like Burleson/Cleburne) to be a part of the Metroplex and seek work and homes within DFW because of travel costs, which will only leave their town's value and growth shrinking as the economy falls/booms. The key to these sort of moves is to bring people/work INTO a city. That is what grows and builds a city. If that expansion does nothing but take peoples money and time outside of the city, then how can that city be posed to survive?

Weatherford should want to grow, growth isn't a bad thing. But being absorbed isn't natural growth.

My two bits. :)

#6 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Good points, all. My guess is the fear is not groundless among individual communities that they will lose their identities by being "absorbed" into a metropolitan area or urbanized region. Even Fort Worth faced the problem years ago with respect to Dallas. Once back when some were even advocating changing both cities' names to "Dalworth." Alas, Arlington is viewed outside of Texas as a suburb of Dallas (as are the mid-cities on either side). What will happen in the case of Weatherford, as well as Burleson for that matter, is that their growth will eventually "blend" into the Dallas-Fort Worth area, if it hasn't already. We are stuck with a regionalism concept, whether we like it or not or want it or not. And that's where regional planners need to step in and be influential on issues such as regional transit systems, my preference being rail.

#7 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

What are the chances of this east loop of weatherford,becoming an outer west loop for FW?
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

The outer west loop of Fort Worth is planned to cross I-20 in the vicinity of Farmer Road/FM 1187, which is a few miles east of the Weatherford Loop.

#9 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

http://www.fwbusines...SubSectionID=39

This article by Carolyn Poirot in the Fort Worth Business Press is about a planned THR health care campus west of Fort Worth. Another indication that the area between FW and Weatherford is experiencing fast population growth and commercial development.

#10 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

Schwarz-Hanson Architects posted this on Facebook

This is a rendering of the "Houston Center" on the square in downtown Weatherford. The three story, 21,000 sf building will have offices above retail and restaurant spaces on the ground floor. Construction is set to start later this month.

3qMDL2d.jpg

Looks like a lovely building for a small town downtown.

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:00 PM

Yes, it is a lovely building, but it is a little faux historic.

#12 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

Was in downtown weatherford 2 Saturdays ago----appears to me that the need for this building is non-existent.  There are a ton of buildings available for rent in the older buildings around the square for both retail and restaurant spaces.

BTW, Shep's place is a great restaurant and a ton of beers on draft, etc.  Love the patio.

#13 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

Although I'm not a fan of Weatherford (personal reasons), it would be nice to see it grow as well.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#14 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:37 PM

Weatherford is returning it's courthouse square back to the way it originally was. 

http://www.star-tele...e208615429.html

#15 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:13 PM

I have mixed thoughts about historical restoration versus modernization (as anyone here whose read my Forum post contributions regarding the Stockyards).  In this case, historical restoration of the courthouse square has my vote.  If they were talking about most of "downtown" Weatherford, I would prefer modernization.  

Incidentally, when I started this thread six years ago, there was a plan to construct a new outer highway loop east of Weatherford.  Whatever happened...?

#16 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:07 AM

I have mixed thoughts about historical restoration versus modernization (as anyone here whose read my Forum post contributions regarding the Stockyards).  In this case, historical restoration of the courthouse square has my vote.  If they were talking about most of "downtown" Weatherford, I would prefer modernization.  

Incidentally, when I started this thread six years ago, there was a plan to construct a new outer highway loop east of Weatherford.  Whatever happened...?

Still seems to be part of the plan, http://www.nctcog.or...L2018PACKET.pdf

mapped on page 3 with selective details on page 5 of link

#17 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:30 AM

Projections to 2045, more likely than plans, provided the political will and economic feasibility.  Some of us older folk may not be around by 2045.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users