12 replies to this topic

#1 Zoso

Zoso

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:39 AM

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but does anyone know if anything is planned for the space where the now closed Care-A-Lot Inn (on Lancaster across from the Masonic temple) resides? It connects to the space on Henderson where the Exxon closed several years ago.

#2 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(Zoso @ Jun 14 2007, 10:39 AM) View Post

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but does anyone know if anything is planned for the space where the now closed Care-A-Lot Inn (on Lancaster across from the Masonic temple) resides? It connects to the space on Henderson where the Exxon closed several years ago.

The Care-A-Lot in has closed!?!?! Woo hoo! That is one of the ugliest buildings in FW! Is it possible that it has to do with the Southwest Pkwy? I know the Travel Lodge (former Ramada Inn @ University is coming down...)

#3 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

Speaking of the SW Pkwy... Check out this rendering. It reminds me of Central in Dallas before they yanked all the plants out.

http://en.wikipedia....westParkway.jpg

#4 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(jefffwd @ Jun 14 2007, 12:26 PM) View Post

The Care-A-Lot in has closed!?!?! Woo hoo! That is one of the ugliest buildings in FW! Is it possible that it has to do with the Southwest Pkwy? I know the Travel Lodge (former Ramada Inn @ University is coming down...)

I don't believe it has anything to do with the Parkway. The Care-A-Lot Inn was recently purchased, and is being closed for renovations as far as I know.

--

Kara B.

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:55 PM

Happy Birthday, Kevin!

I believe the building is scheduled for renovation and I think it is supposed to become a Hampton Inn.

#6 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:40 PM

Great news -- that was a decent hotel, one of the original Rodeways, and deserves to get its brand back.

#7 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:49 PM

Darn...I was kind of hoping it would be torn down and replaced with something substantial.

#8 ttomlin

ttomlin

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:29 AM

Yes, it will be a Hampton Inn. I found that the Pearl Group is renovating and operating it. You can find a small rendering of the hotel here: http://www.pearl-rea...Our_Hotels.html

Something interesting, they also mention a Westin downtown for 2008.

#9 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:24 PM

The Chevron (empty) next door looks like it's about to re-open as a Texaco, new pumps installed this week. I was betting it would be torn down for parking for the Hampton Inn, but I guess I was wrong.

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:25 PM

If you had been keeping up with the Downtown Design Review Board meetings, you would have discovered that the Chevron has been scheduled to be converted into a Texaco. It was on the DDRB Agenda a few months back. I try to post all of the agendas under the Community Events Calendar.

#11 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:10 AM

Care-A-Lot Inn to become Holiday Inn Express by fall... Looks like the downtown Westin has been pushed back to 2010... http://www.pearl-rea...portfolio.html#

Holiday Inn Express slated for downtown by early fall
By SANDRA BAKER
Star-Telegram staff writer

FORT WORTH -- The former Care-A-Lot Inn building, on Lancaster Avenue near Henderson Street, is being redeveloped and will open in late summer or early fall as a 132-room Holiday Inn Express, its owner said.

Pearl Investments, which renovated the former Clarion hotel downtown into an Embassy Suites, bought the property, 1111 W. Lancaster Ave., in February. At the time, Pearl had not decided on a hotel brand for the structure, which was built in 1950.

Pritesh Patel, chief executive of Pearl, said Holiday Inn Express was chosen to meet a need for more family-oriented hotels downtown. Rooms will run about $130 a night, and it will feature an oversized indoor pool, he said.

"Downtown Fort Worth is definitely a family market," Patel said. "We're bringing something to the market that doesn't exist."

Workers have spent the past few months gutting the interior of the building and will begin installing electrical, plumbing and heating and air-conditioning systems, he said.

The owners are working with the Downtown Design Review Board on the building's exterior. The brick will be resurfaced and painted, and a covered entranceway facing Lancaster Avenue will be added, according to plans.

Only five floors of the six-story building will be renovated for rooms for now. The sixth will be added in about five years with an additional 30 rooms, Patel said.

The hotel will employ about 70 full- and part-time employees.

Pearl has more than 20 years of experience in the hotel business with properties in Lubbock, Waco and San Antonio.

#12 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

Looks like they started the finish out of the top floor. Windows are out and construction elevator is up.

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

In that original article on the redevelopment of the property from 2008, the Star-Telegram reported that the 6th floor would be renovated for rooms in about five years.  We are at that point now, so it looks like the owners are sticking to their plans.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Renovation, Rodeway Inn, Hotels

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users