87 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

In this morning's Star Telegram.  Big development on Samuels Ave. announced.  I guess this goes along with the net increase in people in Fort Worth.  Apartments are doing well and are pretty well occupied.  I have a friend building a townhouse next to the osteopathic hospital on Camp Bowie because his rent keeps going up at Lincoln Trinity Bluffs apartments.  Just capitalism.  They can charge more, but at some level people will move.  Not saying they shouldn't charge more.  I would always raise rents until I had a waiting list of one. 

http://www.star-tele...l-to-build.html

www.fortworthview.com

#2 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

I love living at Lincoln Trinity Bluffs and I was not a happy camper when my rent went up $100 a month last year. I am an original tenant and I came in on a rent deal that put me below market.

I was pleasantly surprised when I recently found out that I will have no rent increase if I sign a one year lease this time, which I plan to do. I love that more residences are going in. I am hoping this will keep the rents more stable.

#3 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

Lincoln Properties has done exceptionally well with their apartments on Samuels-I believe they are for all practical purposes fully rented out. Hillside Apartments/Duplexes across from Weatherford and Belknap along E. 4th have a waiting list. The key factor for developers as well as for present and future renters is location. The south end of Samuels Avenue is in close proximity and easy access to I-30, I-35, and Hwy 121 Airport Freeway thus appealing to renters who commute on these major thoroughfares to work. The views of the downtown and Trinity River and their proximity are added attractions. Even though the high-end Villa De Leon Condo tower did not pan out for its developer (thanks to the Great Recession) it established the dense urban residential pattern that seems to be the accepted model for this end of Trinity Bluffs/"Uptown"/Samuels Avenue that with each new announced project solidifies this pattern. I still hope there's some chances for survival of the historic homes north of Pioneers Rest Cemetery, (see the Getzendanner House thread in the Historic Preservation section) but big money development has its own momentum and is hard to curb once its underway. I have mixed feelings about this announcement (because we are trying to sell our 1880's Samuels Avenue property for less than a developer offered us in 2008) but I do feel sad about the potential disappearance of Fort Worth's oldest neighborhood surrounded by a sea of new development. The worst case scenario for the neighborhood's identity would be the purchase of the landmarked 1890's Queen Anne style Garvey House at 769 Samuels to use its large multi-acre lot for redevelopment but I still feel that possibility is a few years away-maybe not before the Trinity River Vision Town Lake project is nearing completion. (2020-2025?) 

#4 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

Just thoughts that popped into my head while reading the article above:

The development artwork looks good, but with 234 new residential units the access via Samuels Avenue into Downtown is going to be even more congested than it is now. This would have been a great area to have run a streetcar to, assuming many or most of the residents are going to work (or play) in downtown. As it is, the pinch in road width between Peach and Belknap Streets, and the poor connection into the downtown grid makes it difficult to get in or out of the neighborhood, especially when the elementary school is loading or unloading SUVs and school buses. Maybe one thing that could help would be a wide bike/walking path along the river but at an elevation easy for residents to reach that would connect the apartments with downtown. 

The article mentions Tom Struhs and partner's original vision for apartments, condos, shops and restaurants. The condos haven't worked well, but that can best be attributed to the economy, but where are the shops and restaurants? I can't see this area being a draw from other parts of town due to the traffic mess, but is there just not a critical mass living there yet to attract retail businesses? 

It seems to me that this area would be served well if the various railroads in the area could be convinced to participate in a project to "unionize" the spider's web of tracks into one modern, possibly sunken, corridor as part of the eventual upgrade of the Tower 55 mess. By unionize I mean combining individual companies' facilities into one that is shared and superior to what came before, as in "Union Station". This sort of facility could speed trains through the area quieter, faster, and safer, since it could be built without at-grade crossings. This would of course need to be a public/private project (like the current Tower 55 upgrade/patch) since the railroads cannot be forced to do any rail relocation they don't want to. 

#5 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

You covered a lot of salient points in your comments. Traffic along Samuels Avenue is sometimes congested and with the hundreds of new apartment units being built across from Charles E. Nash Elementary at 401 Samuels and the already leased Lincoln Park apartments, it is certain to get worse. The under-construction second rail line by BNSF due east of the existing line parallel to Samuels Avenue will also increase passing train noises but efforts have been made to mitigate it with the new construction. However, access to the neighborhood is becoming more restricted with a planned closure of Peach Street for the new track with the only access to the residential area east of Samuels (the traditional "Rock Island" area) at Gounah and after the new line is completed, at Cold Springs road. Peach street will thereafter be permanently closed. I honestly believe the developer's original plan to restrict and slow down traffic on the South end of Samuels did not envision the volume of traffic it handles now or will be forced to in the future. Contrast that with the new development along West 7th which the wide avenue easily accommodates. Maybe as you suggested there could be access via the river side but proposed roads and bike paths there are dependent on the progress of the TRV Town Lake project and its planned infrastructural improvements. According to BNSF planners who spoke at a neighborhood meeting about the second rail line going in, the long range plans call for the bulk of BNSF rail traffic to bypass the downtown area but when asked for a time frame guesstimate, the spokesperson said it could be mid-century before that happened.

As for badly needed retail shops and other amenities that were part of the original redevelopment plans, they have never materialized. I would think a small volume discount grocery such as an Aldi store could do very well in the neighborhood but their business model site placement seems to be constructing them along well established commercial retail corridors. The old Courthouse Supermarket and neighborhood Amin's and McCloud's convenience stores went away with the new development but the Sonic/Chevron fast-food/convenience store combo to replace them between Belknap and Weatherford streets is decidedly not pedestrian-friendly. (and is sometimes fairly inaccessible to neighborhood car access depending on traffic volume) So yes, neighborhood residents could greatly benefit from some commercial establishments but downtown FW generally is underserved in that respect. The higher downtown land values translate into higher rents for businesses and downtown dwellers expect prices to be comparable with the chain or big-box retailers which use less costly land sites. Samuels Avenue land prices are still somewhat less than core downtown land to the best of my knowledge so there's still hope for some commercial-retail shops to go in at some future point. However, the original vision for mixed-use residential-commercial-retail development is not happening, at least not currently. I can only hope that as development continues these neighborhood business needs will be met but only time will tell.

#6 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

From the S-T article's description and a view of the artist's rendering, appears that part of the structure will be "straddling" the bluff.  Interesting design plans.

#7 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

From the S-T article's description and a view of the artist's rendering, appears that part of the structure will be "straddling" the bluff.  Interesting design plans.

I think there was a location factual error in the article as well. Mention is made of it being next to the Lincoln Park townhomes in the 700 block of Samuels. The only vacant parcel available for redevelopment in the 700 block,  is 761 Samuels, right next door to the Garvey House and where the former Foster-Pool house once stood. I think all of this planned project will be to the south of the historic Bennett-Fenelon House at 731 Samuels. There is a large parcel of land between 731 Samuels and the Lincoln Park apartments south of there. A church structure will be lost and a couple of modest older houses.  I hope the developers will put a buffer of greenspace for transition between the new apartments and the historic Bennett-Fenelon house. (dating from the 1870's and one of the oldest surviving homes in Fort Worth).

#8 tcamp

tcamp

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Hey John S.

Can you give me a call or drop me a line when you get a second. I've enjoyed your posts on Chase Court would love to talk more about it when you get a moment. My email is todd@qcinema.org and my number is 817-723-4358. Thanks so much,

Todd Camp

#9 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

Man my neighborhood has changed a lot. I know this is offtopic but it will always be Rock Island to me. Not Trinity Bluff or what ever name you give it. Didnt know peach street was gettig knocked off. Ahhhh the sadness deepends. :(
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#10 Funkutown Retro Retro

Funkutown Retro Retro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

I love Rock Island

#11 Funkutown Retro Retro

Funkutown Retro Retro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

I love Rock Island

#12 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

It seems to me that this area would be served well if the various railroads in the area could be convinced to participate in a project to "unionize" the spider's web of tracks into one modern, possibly sunken, corridor as part of the eventual upgrade of the Tower 55 mess. By unionize I mean combining individual companies' facilities into one that is shared and superior to what came before, as in "Union Station". This sort of facility could speed trains through the area quieter, faster, and safer, since it could be built without at-grade crossings. This would of course need to be a public/private project (like the current Tower 55 upgrade/patch) since the railroads cannot be forced to do any rail relocation they don't want to. 

It would be very difficult to do anything about the vertical alignment of BNSF's Fort Worth Sub. main through this area since it's pretty much a steady 1% climb from the Trinity River bridge through Tower 55 all the way to Birds. Flatten it in one spot and you have to increase the slope from that point on, if that makes any sense. The grade separation idea doesn't work well for the railroads if the north/south routes are changed much vertically. On the other hand, changing the vertical alignment of the east/west routes would require massive reconstruction of I-35W as well as other roads in the area.

The current improvements under construction are a joint effort between UP and BNSF. This project really is the "Union Station" of freight corridors. Since there's only so much you can do vertically before the grade becomes unmanageable, there's not a lot of options getting the various north/south routes together at Tower 55. I suppose a better plan could be dreamed up if acquiring new right-of-way weren't an issue, but beyond a sliver alongside existing right-of-way here and there, I don't think that's practical. And relocating the railroads somewhere other than downtown is also a good idea, but where? And what will it cost?

When it's all said and done there will be a third north/south alignment just west of the two north/south UP tracks. It will be constructed on existing right-of-way and use an existing bridge over Lancaster. This third route and the updated existing routes will have increased track speeds through the area, but I'm not expecting a dramatic increase in actual speed through the tower. The real difference for BNSF will be having the ability to move both a northbound train and a southbound train through the tower at the same time rather than having to stage one after the other. This will reduce dwell times from Haslet to Joshua, which will reduce idling, noise, pollution, etc. UP's traffic lanes will see similar benefits as well.

#13 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

I love Rock Island

ME TOO!!! ES MI VARRIO 'It is my neiborhood" :swg:

ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#14 Funkutown Retro Retro

Funkutown Retro Retro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

Oops!! But I love my meadowbrook even more!!! Ha!

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

The portion of this topic discussing Birds Siding has been split off into its own thread.

#16 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

Because a number of months have passed since this project was supposed to break ground (Oct. 2013) I've wondered what happened? Then again, the lots supposed to be used for the project still have for sale signs, I decided to try to seek some information. First I contacted the Star-Telegram writer who posted the original article on Friday, June 21 of last year. Her reply was she had assumed the Bluffs project was underway but if not, she had no explanation for the delay. I therefore made a call to Carleton Properties in Dallas and got a voice mail so I left an inquiry about the status of the project. No reply. I also sent an email to their information request link and thus far, no reply to it, either. I must therefore speculate the project has been quietly cancelled or delayed indefinitely. Someone out there knows the story but developers apparently keep their plans to themselves as much as possible. At least the new apartments across from Charles E. Nash elementary school appear to be nearing completion. Still no retail exists in this large new housing environment and at this point I wonder if there ever will be. I'm puzzled as to why this Trinity Uptown grand development vision has fallen so short of original projections but on the plus side, the sporadic historic homes along Samuels Avenue (Fort Worth's oldest neighborhood) seemed less threatened these days. At some future point a balance between new development and the historic character of the neighborhood will have to be identified but just when or how remains a mystery.

#17 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

An update: Printice L. Gary, a principal with Dallas-based Carleton Residential Properties, provided the courtesy of a call this morning regarding their Trinity Bluff project. According to Mr. Gary, at the time of the June 2013 press release, some major components of putting together the proposed luxury apartment project on Samuels Avenue were still on-going at the time. When a project of that size requires lining up a combination of equity investment, outside investment, and financing, the timetable is difficult to pinpoint. Mr. Gary confirmed ownership of the land for the project by Carleton Properties and is still working on the complex details of funding the project. He was optimistic and confirmed the project is still a "go". I did not ask him for a current timetable but he inferred it would likely happen this year barring any unforeseen circumstances. (as happened back in 2008) Not spoken was perhaps a wish to track the occupancy rates of the current apartment expansion nearing completion across from Charles E. Nash Elementary; Mr. Gary did say he did not want the Carleton project to interfere with traffic flow (as has occurred periodically with the new apartment construction opposite the school) and that Carleton wished to be good neighbors with current Samuels-Rock Island residents. He did ask for input about the project and I reiterated an urgent need for retail services in the neighborhood. He replied there was first a need for a critical mass of residents adequate to support retail businesses. I mentioned that prior to the new development we once had two long established neighborhood convenience stores (McCloud's where Marriot's extended stay now stands and Amin's near the corner of Gounah and Samuels) as well as a very popular Mom & Pop type restaurant on the northeast corner of Gounah and Samuels. (El Metate, which continues to operate on Northeast 28th) Older residents remembered a laundry facility in the same vicinity.

I'd argue if the smaller resident count prior to new development was sufficient to support these businesses, with the additional apartment and Villa De Leon residents a carefully researched retail mix would currently be profitable near this location. (residential survey needed?) All retail, except for the Chevron station convenience store combo with Sonic Drive-In (which is quite hazardous to access on foot) now requires travel by car or public transportation. The Courthouse Market grocery was a downtown institution near Samuels Avenue on Belknap but it too was  a casualty of new development. With the current and anticipated residential numbers a smaller version of the Magnolia Avenue type retail mix could probably do very well on Samuels. Of course, the income levels of apartment dwellers would probably not support luxury retail but certainly a small grocery (an Aldi's comes to mind as an almost perfect fit) a restaurant/café or two, and other specific retail businesses might do very well in combination with new residential development. Mr. Gary mentioned that Carleton Residential is not in the commercial construction business so it would be for others to bring in this type of development. Former developer Tom Struhs recognized this need for retail services and included them in his conceptual renderings. While the imagined Parisian type café street environment now seems fanciful, the need for retail establishments still exists. A worst case scenario would be for Rock Island-Samuels Avenue to be covered with apartment complexes devoid of any retail amenities. I could see that as having a negative impact on rent levels in the future. I hope City planners and development coordinators will help bring some retail development to the neighborhood so it can truly take on a diverse urban character. As it exists at present it could just as well be out around the low density Alliance corridor. Even there, retail continues to expand along major roads near the brand new neighborhoods/apartment complexes. The development along Rock Island-Samuels amounts to a de facto new urban neighborhood and should be recognized as such. Mr. Gary kindly advised that he will keep me posted on Carleton Properties progress on the pending project and I will in turn post any useful information here. I believe Carleton Properties will make excellent neighbors for our evolving neighborhood.

Now if someone were to take the vacant lots in the older sections and build carefully designed (sympathetic to the historic character) and dense single family townhomes, the existing historic and newly developed sections could blend in seamlessly. I think developers can do better than transform all of Samuels into "apartmentville"-it needs a mix to remain interesting and appealing. Ok, I'm a dreamer, but in the 25 years I've lived on Samuels I've seen a major transformation occur that someday needs to reach a logical conclusion. As the late James Toal once said in an article, "you don't want to leave Samuels Avenue hanging".

#18 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Happy July 4th! In my conversation with Mr. Gary (Carleton Properties) back in March he was very convincing that this long anticipated project would still come to fruition. Yesterday, a crew started erecting a construction fence on the west/bluff side of Samuels in the area where the proposed project is slated to be built. The fence surrounds two houses in the 600 block of Samuels: a 1930's Cape Cod type cottage (a duplex?) and a c. 1910 Foursquare two story house just to the north of the cottage. The Foursquare type house is cement shingle clad and the integrity of its interior is unknown. In the more recent past, it was used as a halfway house facility run by a religious organization but has been vacant for some time. I would categorize its historic/architectural significance as minimal but there might be some architectural details worth salvaging depending on how intact the interior is. (I've never seen the interior) However, of significance is a short stretch of historic limestone curbing in front of the Cape cottage that by some small miracle has survived for over a century. It would be wise for local historians to photograph and document this early street feature before it is gone-I can count on one hand the number of places in Fort Worth where this early stone curbing survives. It might even be appropriate for a local historical group to seek permission from the City of Fort Worth and Carleton Properties to remove this small stretch (20-40 ft.) of curbing as a historical artifact from the turn of the last century. (maybe integrate it into the proposed Stockyards development?)

In any case, its good to see this project finally moving forward and I look forward to seeing the finished product as the bold design breaks the rather monotonous apartment blocks standing towards the south end of Samuels. I do hope the proposed tower above the bluff remains part of the completed Carleton project. It is essential that good design be part of the undeveloped part of Samuels Avenue for a desirable urban neighborhood to remain.

At the risk of being too repetitive, I sincerely wish some retail businesses and/or service amenities would be part of the future development on Samuels. My favorite on a wish list would be an Aldi's store which I think would quickly become a sales leader for downtown residents. It wouldn't hurt to have a couple of small restaurants and specialty retail businesses-the total lack of these basic amenities within walking distance are surely problematic for the many new apartment dwellers moving into the completed Lincoln Park apartments. As mentioned in the past, the original developer showed neighbors conceptual drawings of a "Parisian Cafe" type streetscape on Samuels (retail downstairs with upstairs residential) but the current version is residential, period. Successful core urban development should always have a retail and services component as seen on West 7th.  City planning should have encouraged some retail component in the residential mix and the failure to do so will surely negatively impact the neighborhood's future. (the past included several thriving retail businesses now gone as mentioned in previous posts)

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

John, as always, thanks for the update.

#20 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

You are welcome, John. I hope you'll have an opportunity to bring up the topic of the historic stone curbing with Historic Fort Worth and/or the City; perhaps it could be saved as an early historic artifact to be removed and placed in a protected location. (Stockyards?)  I believe its the only remaining stone curbing section on Samuels Avenue. It would be of zero use to the new development and might soon disappear as construction work increases in the coming days. I typed in 701 Samuels Avenue and the rare stone curbing comes up clearly in streetview in front of the Cape Cod style 1930's duplex cottage-must be an interesting story behind its survival. Update 7/7: I walked down and counted a total of 12 antique Limestone curb blocks today-no sign of further activity at the site. I speculate they go back to the days before Samuels Avenue was paved.

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:24 PM

6.4 acre plot on Samuels highlighted in a recent bisnow article. 

72999_1429110901_ipamap-large.jpg

Read it for yourself and a few other things here.

#22 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:08 PM

Hmmm... Interesting reporting style. This outlet must be aiming to be the FOX Infotainment entry into the business press market... 

#23 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:57 AM

RD, I think they are doing just that.  I'm on their e-mail list, so I get their daily updates.

#24 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for posting the article, Austin55. I see a familiar pattern here. In 2004 local newspapers and media were talking in glowing terms about the fabulous future downtown development planned along the Trinity Bluff. Like the fabled early 1890's Arlington Heights project launched by H. B. Chamberlain when he bought 2,000 acres of land from Chicago financier Tom Hurley and local attorney Robert McCart, the Trinity Bluffs development has fallen far short of the original vision. This six acre highlighted tract in the article is the same as that owned by Carleton Properties so apparently the envisioned 230+ units and an 11 story tower project announced by Carleton in Oct. 2013, is no more.

Not to worry, though. I'm sure the folks from Lincoln Properties are looking at this available land and trying to decide if it would be practical to extend their blocks of apartment buildings further to the north along Samuels Avenue.  The location remains prime in its proximity to downtown and local transportation hubs but the will to create something beyond yet more blocks of generic apartments apparently does not exist anymore. Trinity Bluffs was once promised to have retail and services business combined with residential housing, but nothing happened. The Great Recession steered development money towards less risky apartments construction and now a development pattern has been set. I distinctly recall the since moved on developer excitedly showing conceptual renderings of a "Parisian cafe" type street environment with Bistros and small boutique type businesses sharing the street with his upstairs apartments and condos. In what (I dislike saying) is in typical Fort Worth fashion, the grand visions announced a decade ago have turned out to be far more modest, perhaps even below minimal expectations. In this situation, the fate of the entire Trinity Bluff development may depend on who buys this multi acre tract and what they intend to do with it. My betting money is on yet more predictable and investment-safe apartments being built, not anything grand or innovative. (of course, I'd love to be mistaken) As for new retail, I think the only way at this point to get any retail in the neighborhood would be to give away free land. (some sections are already in a TIF district)

Perhaps having to settle for less is just part of our City's character and culture-our larger and richer neighbor to the east gets most of the exciting urban "bling" in the Metroplex but Fort Worth does have redeeming qualities in the wonderful people who live here. It might take the Trinity River Vision coming to fruition in another decade or so for something great to come to this re-branded urban neighborhood, that is, if any undeveloped land remains then. On the plus side, long time Samuels Avenue/Rock Island residents can take a breather because the neighborhood core is now almost as quiet and stable as it was before developers arrived. Still no retail, though. (even less than before development arrived when we had two convenience stores and a restaurant in the neighborhood) In summary, I'm a bit disappointed but not surprised.

#25 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:08 PM

John S., I think you are right in having to settle for less is a part of our City's character and culture.  I actually think it is a part of the "Fort Worth Way".

#26 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:36 PM

According to the leasing agent, condos are going to be built on the empty lot between Lincoln Trinity Bluffs and the TCC Health Center. They've already started removing the trees from the hill at the back of the lot. 20824144700_f0bd560241_z.jpg

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:57 PM

That's quite a narrow lot. 

#28 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:03 PM

That's quite a narrow lot. 

Gonna be quite a narrow building, then. Should be interesting. I just don't really have an idea of the exact space in which it's supposed to be going up.

Can anyone pinpoint this?

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#29 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

I'm assuming it's roughly this?

bluff.jpg

#30 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:34 PM

I'm assuming it's roughly this?

bluff.jpg

Ah. I figured. Thanks. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#31 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

That is the exact spot. They've taken out some of the trees all the way down to the trail. 

#32 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

Can't imagine they can build many condos on such a narrow tract of land, unless they go vertical in a big way (are there height restrictions in that area?).

#33 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:14 PM

More info from DDRB agenda. Could be mixed use! A small eatery could be perfect there for students, courts staff, and nearby residents alike. No mention of height. 

DG15-19 501 E. Bluff Street/ Genesis on the Bluff Owner/Applicant: 501 Bluff Street, LLC- Justin Williams Request for review and comments on the conceptual design of mixed- use buildings.

#34 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:58 PM

Austin,

As I recall, another developer wanted to do a project in that vicinity about 15 years ago and proposed a high rise tower. However, because of the proximity to our landmark courthouse the design was thought to be detrimental in obstructing views of the courthouse. A proposed 12 story limit was offered as an alternative but rejected by the developer. It is my understanding at the time this land was owned by the Bass family and one of the members objected to having  a tall tower there. There are attractive alternatives in the mid-rise range as seen along North Central Expressway/I-75 in Dallas and in the same in throughout Addison. A modernist sleek black glass 5-6 story mixed use structure would look great, IMO and would complement TCC's Modernist Health Sciences building.  This area is becoming a downtown core with all the new development and increasing national attention to Sundance Square.

#35 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:47 PM

..... This area is becoming a downtown core with all the new development and increasing national attention to Sundance Square.

Glad to see that this area is on the verge of getting the long awaited attention that was promised;  I know that you have been hoping and waiting for while now to see the changes. :)

#36 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:53 PM

Anyone have any more info from last nights DDRB meeting? FWBP and the ST reported on the Flatiron Duplex and the Pier 1 apartments but nothing about this. 

#37 David_H

David_H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:01 PM

6.4 acre plot on Samuels highlighted in a recent bisnow article. 

72999_1429110901_ipamap-large.jpg

Read it for yourself and a few other things here.

There seems to be some new activity at the Samuals Ave lot. I noticed that the "For Sale" signs have been removed and the other day a team with an auger rig was doing some drilling. 

Any news on what's happening?

#38 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:38 AM

Before we got married, my wife lived in one of the new-ish apartment buildings over there.  It's a great spot to live if you can sleep through unbelievably loud train horns being blasted just feet away from you at 3:00am.

#39 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:40 PM

Re post #26, some more info.

DG16-08 501 E. Bluff Street Owner/Applicant: 501 Bluff Street, LLC / Justin McWilliams Requests a Certificate of Appropriateness to construct a three-story, mixed-use development

#40 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

• The DDRB voted to continue discussing a mixed-use development at 501 East Bluff Street. Property owner Justin McWilliams wants to build three structures: one three-story mixed-use building and two three-story residential buildings. He plans for the building to have a "south beach" design, he said, and the DDRB asked that McWilliams work with city staff on the aesthetics of the building. 

http://www.fortworth...f23f0d4105.html

#41 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:03 PM

A "South Beach" design??? Has he been to that neighborhood? Has he seen the current architecture? LOL

Interested in watching this progress. I know it will be successful bc if you build they will come but a "South Beach" design sounds like a sore thumb to me.

#42 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:51 PM

Mr. McWilliams spoke to me two or three years ago about looking for a lot with a smaller footprint. At the time, the only thing I knew about him was the work he was doing over on Race street. Looks like he and the design review board did not exactly align on the proposed designs hence the request to work on the design aesthetics. I'm all for architectural diversity, so hope some of his vision is included in the final plan. Most of the apartments along Samuels are very tame design-wise and could be located anywhere in the DFW metroplex. I think monotony of design leads to a boring streetscape. Years ago, the development vision shared by one of the neighborhood's developers evoked a Parisian street cafe environment with sidewalk cafes and coffeehouses, mixed retail shops, and some of the Sundance Square/West 7th vibe. No retail exists on Samuels. I think there's room for an Aldi (which I believe would be well patronized) and maybe a Starbucks. (scads of younger apartment dwellers as well as TCC students would appreciate one) The freshly vacant lots due north of Villa DeLeon come to mind for such a use.  Other similar venues are needed to liven up what has fallen far short of the early developer visions. Where are the developers with vision? Saturating the neighborhood with yet more apartment blocks guarantees once they get a decade or two old no one will want to live there. Just my 2 cents worth...

#43 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:27 PM

I think he used to post here years ago.

#44 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:02 AM

I think "South Beach" aesthetics would look nice on Race street, there's a bit of a beachy colorful vibe there, it's unique for Fort Worth. Can't see it working well here. 

#45 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

Sounds like plans are brewing for the empty lot at 637 Samuels based on this from the city plan agenda.

d. Applicant Requests: Approval of waivers: 1. to allow a block face to exceed the maximum 500 feet; 2. to allow a block perimeter to exceed the maximum 1,600 feet; and 3. to allow the distance between publicly accessible streets to exceed 1000 feet.

#46 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:26 PM

Trinity Bluff - Phase 5, proposed to be a "luxury five story apartment community".

They are requesting waivers on the block face and block perimeter requirements in the subdivision ordinance.

More apartments. Any retail? I wonder what this part of town will be like in 20 years.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#47 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:53 PM

Any idea how many units?

#48 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:30 PM

Trinity Bluff - Phase 5, proposed to be a "luxury five story apartment community".

They are requesting waivers on the block face and block perimeter requirements in the subdivision ordinance.

More apartments. Any retail? I wonder what this part of town will be like in 20 years.

Too many apartments, long term too dense without retail.

#49 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:56 PM

Agreed with Thurman52:  too many apartments, architectural design and quality bars set too low for what could be a premier location once the Stockyards to the north and the Trinity River Vision-Town Lake project to the west reach completion. Still no retail of any kind (even less than the neighborhood had before development) which will come back to haunt this claimed to be "urban" neighborhood in the years to come.  As for development activity in the 700, 800, and 900 (west side) of Samuels, there's something going on with new survey sticks, core sample drilling, and walking visitations by business people in business attire. But I'm  (probably because we are trying to sell our property) largely in the dark so I hope someone like Sandra Baker at the S-T will get the scoop... that is, if there is one to get. On the plus side, after talking to repair estimators, it appears the long postponed renovation of the Garvey House (769 Samuels) may begin in the coming weeks. One contractor-estimator said it will be rehabbed for office use. A neighbor told me over the weekend he had been approached by a developer's agent and offered what I considered to be a generous price for his half-acre lot but he had declined it as inadequate. But rumors are just that and developer plans or projects can be scrubbed or changed at any time for any reason without notice. It's only when construction is completed can you take an announced project as a fact. We saw a similar boom-followed-by-bust cycle in 2008 on Samuels so development in the neighborhood is at the mercy of economic winds that can suddenly change direction like our Texas weather.

#50 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

Back on my post #26 I said that lot on Bluff would be condos. Maybe someday, but for now it is hangtag only parking for TCC. 

Also, the Chase drive-through bank across the way (between Weatherford and Belknap) has been closed for over a month. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Samuels Ave, 234 Apts. on Samuels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users