• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

For all you fast-speed bikers on the Trinity Trails, please be on the lookout for maintenance roadblocks and detours (along the west-side bank of the river).   Early this morning on my bike to work I almost ran into one of these roadblocks.  Good news, though, as badly needed new concrete overlay work is being done to streamline some of the Trails.  Also, I'm wondering how the Chisholm Trail Parkway construction people are going to detour the trail under that portion still awaiting the overhead bridge just south of Forest Park.  Or will they have a detour there?

#2 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

Is this the section just west of Rodgers and adjacent to the gas well? I heard they were going to divert onto the gravel for a bit there.

#3 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

There's a divert there as of this morning.

My blog: Doohickie

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

I rode the detour on the gravel section today, as well.  I'm glad they are rebuilding the poor asphalt sections into a wider concrete surface.

#5 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

As to the Chisolm Trail Parkway overhead bridge construction just south of Forest Park, I'm afraid they'll have to close the bike/pedestrian way temporarily.  Having looked at that particular area, I don't believe there's any way they can detour the trail.  My guess is the bridge connection will be installed over a weekend to minimize disruption.

#6 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

As to the Chisolm Trail Parkway overhead bridge construction just south of Forest Park, I'm afraid they'll have to close the bike/pedestrian way temporarily.  Having looked at that particular area, I don't believe there's any way they can detour the trail.  My guess is the bridge connection will be installed over a weekend to minimize disruption.

My guess is the bridge connection will be installed over the weekend in minimize car disruption while maximizing trail disruption.

#7 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:31 AM

I've stayed off the Trinity Trails this past week because of the weather.  The rains probably delayed the laying of concrete on sections being upgraded.  And I wasn't about to ride my bicycle through mud puddles in the gravel paths detours.

#8 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Too bad. You missed some great riding.

#9 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:38 AM

I hit the Trails early this morning.  The west-bank section south of Rodgers Road has been rehabbed with concrete or asphalt (someone please explain the technical difference).    The red-colored mesh barricades are down.   About two weeks ago, during early morning in the dark, I was headed north on the Trails to work downtown.  Even with a headlight, I almost ran into the red-colored mesh barricade just south of the River Plaza building (was day-dreaming, apparently).  The barricade just comes up on you.  Swerved my bicycle to the left and tried to stop myself from running into an off-trail metal fence, but was too late.  Wrecked my bike.

#10 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

Asphalt (HMAC or hot mix asphaltic concrete as TxDOT calls it) is aggregate mixed with bitumen at a high temperature and rolled in place under compression where it cures as it cools. It remains somewhat flexible and waterproof over its serviceable life.

Concrete is aggregate mixed with sand, water and portland cement. It is poured in place in a slurry form and it cures by evaporation and chemical reaction. When cured it is impervious to water and rigid. It has little tensile strength so it is often reinforced with steel.

#11 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hmmm just a thought.  Concrete is definitely permanent.  Bike Trails are often along way from nearest access street.  Prepared sub and top base course with Cold Mix - Cold Lay,  asphalt vibrapac 5 - 6 pass rolled.  Does not rely on hotmix trucks on standby during placement.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

John, sorry to hear about your wrecked bicycle.  The trails were originally laid with asphalt.  Gradually, over the years, the trails have been replaced with concrete.  The new sections are wider and much safer in concrete because the asphalt had been cracking and failing with cracks running parallel to the trail.  These kind of cracks are not good for road bikes.  Everyone, thanks for the explanation of the differences between concrete and asphalt. 

#13 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

Tangentially related to the Trinity Trails: The Wall Street Journal published this article about equestrian traffic in Fort Worth.

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

I don't have a problem with the horses, but a couple of times yesterday, one guy stopped on the trail while he was on his horse, probaby talking to tourists.  This was where the trail was narrow in Trinity Park and there was barely enough room for a horse, two tourists, and bicycles to pass.  If they were going to stop and talk, they should have moved several feet away, instead of being on the trail.  At another location, a young lady was riding a horse way too close to the concrete trail.  There's plenty of grassy areas for the horses to walk.  Finally, my other comment about the condition of the trail yesterday is that they need to be cleaned.  There was too much dog and horse poop left behind.

#15 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

Heads up, the asphalt trail is being replaced from just north of TRWD headquarters (Northside drive) to the northernmost bend in the river.

The trails that we like to use are actually maintenance roads for TRWD. They are making them wider because the former asphalt trails were too narrow for their F250s and the trucks were destroying the edges of the pavement. The new concrete trail is wider and stronger so it won't yield to the maintenance trucks so poorly. Yes I know there are also gravel trails adjacent to many of the paved trails and they run their trucks on them too.

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

Another factor for the widening and repaving is that the standards for multi-use trails have been widened to make the trails safer.  Doing this work makes everything better for all users, including the TRWD.

#17 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

Another factor for the widening and repaving is that the standards for multi-use trails have been widened to make the trails safer.  Doing this work makes everything better for all users, including the TRWD.

Yes, I like the concrete overlay.  One advantage over asphalt is that concrete appears to "shine" white in the dark.  You can see the path better.  Also, concrete appears to be smoother, less wear and tear on bicycle tires.   Both features make travel easier, quicker, and safer.

Somewhat similar to discussion about horses on the trails but of the mechanized variety:  Of course motorcycles and scooters are prohibited.  But what about the Segway?  Anyone know if it would be allowed on the bicycle paths?  I've often thought about buying a Segway...12 miles per hour on electric battery!

#18 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

Real Men self-propel, john.

#19 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

Of course!  Bicycling is great exercise.  But have noticed street police patrol on Segways downtown.

#20 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

I think the Fort Worth Segway tours utilize the trails for at least part of their tour, but I might be wrong.

I think you can get a waiver for many motorized uses on the trail. I was riding my bike a few weeks ago and came upon a group of Model T's and Model A's riding along the trails. They were out there all day scooting around- saw them later when I was a Martin House.

#21 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

I'm ordinarily a patient guy when it comes to road repair, but I'm getting a little peeved by the pace of work (or non-work) on that itty bitty trek of Trails that runs parallel to the new Forest Park Medical Center and underneath the new Chisholm Trail Parkway bridge at that location.  How long does it take to apply some concrete to about 30 feet of this trail?  I don't like riding my bike on the gravel detour for fear of getting a flat.

While on the subject of riding or running on the Trails, a forewarning to anyone venturing out in darkness of early morning (around 5 a.m.) at the Crystelle Waggoner Trailhead.  There, the other morning before dawn I almost rode my bike into a live skunk in the middle of the concrete Trail.   

#22 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:48 PM

I was going to note in another thread that the pace of anything connected with CTP is downright agonizing.

#23 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:23 PM

I'm ordinarily a patient guy when it comes to road repair, but I'm getting a little peeved by the pace of work (or non-work) on that itty bitty trek of Trails that runs parallel to the new Forest Park Medical Center and underneath the new Chisholm Trail Parkway bridge at that location.  How long does it take to apply some concrete to about 30 feet of this trail?  I don't like riding my bike on the gravel detour for fear of getting a flat.

How about the chunks that have been taken out of the trail just east of there at the low water crossing? That pavement has been missing for about 4 years!!!??

#24 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:01 AM

Are you referring to the Trails on the river's east bank?  I hardly ever ride on that side because a lot of it between SW Fort Worth and downtown is non-existent.

#25 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

No it's on the north bank, just east along the trail from the new medical facility.

https://www.google.c...m/data=!3m1!1e3

#26 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:51 AM

A little side note...that small stretch of cracked concrete of the Trails just south of the new Forest Park Medical Center was finally paved over last month.  It takes awhile but city crews eventually get the job done.

#27 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

Some rehab work is going on both sides of the Trails in the Bryant Irvin area.  I've observed bulldozers carving out paths running along the river shoreline.  The work also includes the "U-turn" (now blocked with a mesh fence) connecting the east and west banks at that point just north of the SW Boulevard bridge. 

#28 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:54 AM

The work at 183 is relating to the Waterside Development.  If you look at their site plans, they show a road connecting down to Bellaire Drive S. where the dam was built across the oxbow of the river.  At the current time, the trail goes across the river then runs along the top of oxbow dam to connect to the bike lane on Bellaire Drive S.  In the next few months, they will be building this roadway on top of the dam.

#29 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

An approximately quarter-mile stretch of the west-side Trails running parallel to the railroad yard (south of the wooded area) has been finished with that clean smooth concrete.  Kudos to whoever in the city administration decided to re-route the paved Trails away from that long shade-less stretch and lining it so it goes under some trees.  Makes a difference when you're biking under the hot Texas sun!

#30 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

If you think of the river area as a park, they're just utilizing more of the park land.  I like it.

#31 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:05 AM

I agree with you, Johnfwd.  It is nice to get that hot section of trail more into the shade.  However, I'm wondering how much impact it will have on the bluebird houses that were put up a number of years ago next to the fenceline/tracks.  Every Spring, I see bluebird parents going in and out of those houses. 

#32 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:06 AM

I agree with you, Johnfwd.  It is nice to get that hot section of trail more into the shade.  However, I'm wondering how much impact it will have on the bluebird houses that were put up a number of years ago next to the fenceline/tracks.  Every Spring, I see bluebird parents going in and out of those houses. 

Well, I promise not to disturb them.

#33 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:31 AM

I think those houses have been successful.  I'm seeing the bluebirds on almost every ride along the trail.  Maybe I'm more aware of them, since one of my cycling buddies told me about the houses and showed me some of the eggs inside.  He and his wife help to keep the houses maintained.

#34 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:02 AM

Seriously (this time), I heard the birds chirping in the trees on my bike trek to work early this morning.  Live long and prosper, bluebirds! On the Trail re-route project, I really don't think the city was doing this mainly out of sympathy for sun-baked bicyclists.  Are they thinking of getting more clearance for future widening of the river channel at this point?

#35 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:18 AM

Is there any reason to believe the river needs to be widened?

#36 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

Is there any reason to believe the river needs to be widened?

Not sure, but isn't some channel widening part of the TRV project?  As to this particular run of the river where the paved Trails has been re-routed further west...all I'm suggesting is that the city may have other plans besides making the ride more comfortable for bike riders.

#37 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:15 AM

The TRV area is all north of 7th and east of 35 (flood control).

#38 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:55 AM

Yeah, I know that, but won't a major flood control project at the north end affect the flow to the south?  That's what got me to thinking about whether parts of the river channel toward the south might have to be widened.. though it's a layman's conjecture.

#39 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:27 AM

I have not heard of any plans to widen the Clear Fork of the Trinity River.  It appears that this section of the river adequately contained the flood waters of this Spring.  I will see if I can find out anything.

#40 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

Yeah, I know that, but won't a major flood control project at the north end affect the flow to the south?  That's what got me to thinking about whether parts of the river channel toward the south might have to be widened.. though it's a layman's conjecture.

All of the work to accommodate changes to the water flow and to hold future flood water is happening east of 35.

#41 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:56 AM

Sections near downtown are being modified in that the angle of the banks is being made more shallow. The steepness of the banks right now is considered a safety hazard and a barrier from people having direct access to the river. But I've not heard anything being done as far upstream as the area near Colonial.

#42 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:18 AM

Enough said elsewhere about the reason for forcing bicyclists and leisure walkers to take a detour through the woods of Trinity Park this time of year.  That being the case, the city should apply a concrete overlay to the major path through the woods to link with the begin and ends points of the detour.

#43 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:25 AM

Enough said elsewhere about the reason for forcing bicyclists and leisure walkers to take a detour through the woods of Trinity Park this time of year.  That being the case, the city should apply a concrete overlay to the major path through the woods to link with the begin and ends points of the detour.

Or ya know, they could just fence off the trail corridor during their 3 week setup. Just like they do for the train.

Write your Rep at 

PEDESTRIAN AND BICYCLING ADVISORY COMMISSION                            Let them know you want this fixed...

http://fortworthtexa...ory-commission/

• JBB likes this

#44 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:07 AM

Recently I've noticed that the Trinity River bed just north of the Southwest Boulevard bridge is almost dry and that bull dozers have been working on the riverbed at that location.  Does anyone know why?  Is there an upgrading or re-channeling being done down river as part of the Trinity River Flood Control project on the city's north side?  Or is connected to rehab of the bike/pedestrian trails?

#45 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:29 AM

I ride the trails in that area mainly on the weekends.  I do not have confirmation, but it appears to me that they are dredging the river retention area behind the low water dam.  The outlet for the standard level of that retention pond was about two feet below the actual bed of the river at that point.  This is probably a flood control/maintenance issue that has nothing to do with any other projects.  It could be that it has some relation to Phase 2 of Waterside, but I'm not sure.  With the bottom being dredged out, that area should be able to handle more water than it does now.  Sediment does collect behind those dams, and from time to time, it has to be removed.

#46 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:01 PM

Thanks.  Additional thought:  Shortly after the Houston flooding caused by Hurricane Harvey, the Trinity River water flow to the south in our area seemed to slow down.  Based on my understanding that Texas rivers flow south into the Gulf, I thought at the time that TRWD people had deliberately checked the Trinity flow in order not to aggravate the Houston flooding situation.  Now, maybe TRWD was taking this opportunity to do necessary dredging of the river bed?  Is my theory plausible?

#47 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:04 PM

I would say that it is plausible.

#48 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

This S-T article by Sandra Baker is quite astounding.   One day you could ride your bike over 200 miles on the Trails!  Linking Fort Worth and Dallas?  Wow!

http://www.star-tele...e185288513.html

#49 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:44 PM

The Bomber Spur!

#50 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:10 PM

Doohickie, I saw the Bomber Spur on the map.  That puts the trail on my office's property line.  It's too bad they removed the bridge over Camp Bowie.  If it was still in place, this conversion would be much easier.  My office is in the old Levitz Warehouse at 6913 Camp Bowie Blvd.  This puts the Bomber Spur forming our western property line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users