• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:57 PM

Dallas Skyline About to Get Dramatic Addition
By Brian Curtis
NBCDFW.com
updated 1:45 p.m. CT, Thurs., May 27, 2010
The Dallas skyline is about to get its most dramatic addition in years.

As early as Friday, the 400-foot-tall arch of the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge will begin rising over the Trinity River. The bridge will connect the Woodall Rodgers Freeway to Singleton Boulevard.

The bridge was designed by renowned Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava. The single white, tubular, steel arch is comprised of 25 sections, each approximately 15 feet in diameter. A massive crane will stack the sections atop two concrete pylons that will anchor the arch. They will then be bolted and welded together.

Once the arch starts rising, it will happen quickly. The entire structure could be in place in a matter of weeks.

Workers will then string a web of cables that will support the wing-like bridge deck, which is already taking shape. When it's finished, the bridge will be wide enough for six lanes of traffic.

The Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge costs $119 million, paid for by a combination of public and private money. It is a key part of the city's controversial plan to redevelop the stretch of Trinity River in downtown Dallas.

The bridge is scheduled to open in mid-2011.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37369729/

MSN Privacy . Legal
© 2010 MSNBC.com

#2 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:35 PM

A photo of this bridge as well as one of the others can be found here:

http://www.trinityri...ty_bridges.html

Kinda makes the newly redesigned Trinity bridges in Fort Worth look... sleep.gif

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. The Calatrava Bridge is very expensive compared to the Fort Worth Trinity Bridges. Also, three Calatrava bridges were planned in Dallas and they can only afford to build one of them. Also, we don't need to be competing with Dallas on who can build the tallest and most significant bridge over the Trinity.

I also guess that once the arch is nearing full height Brian will be able to photograph it from his perch in The Tower.

#4 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ May 27 2010, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess it's all a matter of perspective. The Calatrava Bridge is very expensive compared to the Fort Worth Trinity Bridges. Also, three Calatrava bridges were planned in Dallas and they can only afford to build one of them. Also, we don't need to be competing with Dallas on who can build the tallest and most significant bridge over the Trinity.

I also guess that once the arch is nearing full height Brian will be able to photograph it from his perch in The Tower.

I started charging my batteries the minute I saw the article... biggrin.gif
www.fortworthview.com

#5 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

Volare,
On the same day that NBCDFW.com was posting the news about Dallas' Calatrava Bridges, the Chicago Tribune and no less than the New York Times as well as many other preeminent media organizations were reporting about Fort Worth's Kimbell Museum ..kinda makes you wonder which will have a more dramatic impact on the landscape three years hence... rolleyes.gif
Keep Fort Worth folksy!

#6 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (renamerusk @ May 29 2010, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Volare,
On the same day that NBCDFW.com was posting the news about Dallas' Calatrava Bridges, the Chicago Tribune and no less than the New York Times as well as many other preeminent media organizations were reporting about Fort Worth's Kimbell Museum ..kinda makes you wonder which will have a more dramatic impact on the landscape three years hence... rolleyes.gif
Keep Fort Worth folksy!

Agreed, but I wouldn't mind having a couple of really promminent skyline features that would leave an impression on someone of our city.

St. Louis - Arch
New York - Take your pick
Seattle - Space Needle
Chicago - Sears Tower
Dallas - Reunion Tower, Caltrava Bridge
San Fran - Golden Gate
Houston - Smog

See. They've all got something. They aren't necessarily beautiful, but they're memorable.

#7 FoUTASportscaster

FoUTASportscaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (Volare @ May 27 2010, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kinda makes the newly redesigned Trinity bridges in Fort Worth look... sleep.gif

At least your recreation project wasn't commandered by tranportation goals in the name of flood control and recreation. City leaders here are still trying to be the first city every to build a highway within a floodway.

#8 JimmyR

JimmyR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

The drawing reminds me of a bridge in downtown Rochester, NY. Below are a couple of links to photos I found online.

-Jimmy

http://www.americant...see-NY1_jpg.jpg

http://www.duksauce....er/IMG_3362.jpg
Jimmy

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

Jimmy, we haven't heard from you in ages! Welcome back to the forum.

#10 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:58 AM

The Dallas skyline is getting another new addition. Against all logic, imo, the 42 story Museum Tower condo building breaks ground in the Arts Disctrict today.

#11 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:47 AM

An addition to the skyline that won't do much for the urbanism of DTD. Not sure I'd want to pay $800 per square foot to live with a freeway ramp at my front door.

--

Kara B.

#12 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (vjackson @ Jun 24 2010, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Dallas skyline is getting another new addition. Against all logic, imo, the 42 story Museum Tower condo building breaks ground in the Arts Disctrict today.

I don't know why people are all skiddish over the success this tower. First of all, it's totally privately funded. And second, if it fails, it will only go rental and bring lots of monied foks into Dallas' Arts District anyway. The only people I would feel sorry for are the people who spent a million dollars on a condo in Texas. And I think it's off the portion of the freeway that's being covered with the deck park, Fwology. And i don't think it has to have a coffee shop and some cute eatery on the first floor to add to the urban fabric of downtown Dallas. I think the grounds are supposed to be lush and park-like and that's just as inviting to me. And most importantly, it brings people who will live in the District.

I own a condo in Dallas and even with the condo market the way it is (even thought its increased 26% this year), I was a little stunned to see this going up. But I still think this a win win for Dallas' Arts District. (And it's a gorgeous building btw).

#13 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (eastfwther @ Jun 24 2010, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I think it's off the portion of the freeway that's being covered with the deck park, Fwology. And i don't think it has to have a coffee shop and some cute eatery on the first floor to add to the urban fabric of downtown Dallas.

It's sort of adjacent to the deck park, but the site is literally encircled by an off-ramp. Check the maps. It's separated from the Arts District by an over-scaled road, a median, and a spiraling off-ramp.

No, not every building has to have retail. They all ought to do something to engage the street in some fashion, though. I'm sure it'll look very flashy on the skyline, but the building and its (lack of) relationship to anything is faux urbanism in a vertical cul-de-sac, to borrow Walkable D/FW's phrase.

http://www.carfreein...cul-de-sac.html

--

Kara B.

#14 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (Fort Worthology @ Jun 24 2010, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (eastfwther @ Jun 24 2010, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I think it's off the portion of the freeway that's being covered with the deck park, Fwology. And i don't think it has to have a coffee shop and some cute eatery on the first floor to add to the urban fabric of downtown Dallas.

It's sort of adjacent to the deck park, but the site is literally encircled by an off-ramp. Check the maps. It's separated from the Arts District by an over-scaled road, a median, and a spiraling off-ramp.

No, not every building has to have retail. They all ought to do something to engage the street in some fashion, though. I'm sure it'll look very flashy on the skyline, but the building and its (lack of) relationship to anything is faux urbanism in a vertical cul-de-sac, to borrow Walkable D/FW's phrase.

http://www.carfreein...cul-de-sac.html

This is DFW. If freeways impeded development, there would be nothing here. rolleyes.gif I've enjoy carefree's blog, but unfortunately he doesn't seem to know where he lives. This is TEXAS!! Urbanism here is never going to look anything like New York, Chicago, Boston, or even Portland. Urbanism here is always going to be an urban or (semi) urban development, right next to the parking lot fronted, surburban style designs that plague this region. Even carefree pointed out, downtown FW only totally walkable on Main St. The rest of downtown is pretty hit and miss. Or just look at W 7th. Montgomery Plaza is a fine example of DFW "urbanism" A walkable structure upfront, with huge surburban sprawl in the back. A real mullet development if I 've ever seen one. Go on down the street and you have those other two developments that everyone DRIVES to, park sthe car, then get out and walks around inside its very obvious borders. Then gets back in their car and leaves. In FW these inward, to themselves developments that have little connectivity to the neighborhoods around them, are not even linked with any form of mass transit, yet to us, they are "urban" all the same. Spare me the talk that people will live, work and play here. These developments couldn't make it on those people alone and greatly depend on the people in their cars. I guarantee you see few people from the surrounding neighborhood walking down W7th into So7 to eat dinner. What I'm trying to say is I don't expect every building to be built like this is 1901 New York. Urbanism here has its own style and is simply going to be very fragmented and car based. I have no problem with that and don't spend much time wishing for what will probably never be. At least not while you or I are alive. So I enjoy the pieces of walkability that will come along as I age, but I don't kid myself that this area is going to resemble manhattan anytime soon. I doubt if any buyers (or future renters) in Museum Tower believe they're buying in Manhattan either.

#15 JimmyR

JimmyR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jun 23 2010, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jimmy, we haven't heard from you in ages! Welcome back to the forum.

Thanks! It's good to be back.
Jimmy

#16 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

I flew by Dallas yesterday and was shocked to see how much of this bridge is already completed. Looks like the main central TALL arch is almost complete! I was expecting progress more like Fort Worth's own "first of it's kind" bridge...

#17 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:16 PM

I like the tower. Wish we were building 20 just like it in Fort Worth. tongue.gif

#18 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ May 27 2010, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

John, I think I have our bridge construction today. A bit hazy but better than it has been in a few weeks. Just an amazing sight, to me. Yippee!

EDIT: Just saw on the news that this arch was just topped off today. (Mayor and Kay Bailey Hutchison at ceremony)

www.fortworthview.com

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

Brian, you have captured the arch of the bridge.

#20 DKinFW

DKinFW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:15 PM

And speaking of bridges...when the Fort Worth light sculptures were dedicated (the ones on Lancaster in front of the T&P Station) I remember that one of the speakers noted that the same artist was to help with the re-do of the 7th Street bridge. Does anyone know anything about this? I sent the artist an e-mail many months ago asking about this but never got a response.

#21 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

Every city has its own pace of economic development and it’s no secret that in our area Dallas is much further along than is Fort Worth. I was in and around downtown Dallas on legal business a few days ago and noticed that much more building construction is going on there than in my hometown. Even amid the slowdown in commercial real estate throughout the country, Dallas is still growing apace, with work progressing on one high-rise office building after another. Now I’ve read about some projects that are in the pipeline for downtown FW, including the Sundance Square plaza, the new civil courts building, and the new retail/residential buildings along Lancaster across from the old Santa Fe depot building. But why is it taking so long to get these projects off the drawing boards? Are planners, architects (no offense intended here) and builders complacent about FW progress or just slower to get going in FW than in Dallas?

#22 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:11 AM

Are planners, architects (no offense intended here) and builders complacent about FW progress or just slower to get going in FW than in Dallas?

I know we've argued this back and forth for a long time. My personal belief is that the two cities are after different things and are achieving different things. I'd love to see FW grow faster than it is, but I don't ever want the CBD to be like or look like Dallas.

In order I want the following for Christmas:

1. Continued organic growth from Magnolia North to I-30. Small busines, pedestrian traffic, artsy fartsy, sometimes a little gritty, genuine.

2. Substantial infusion of cash into Lancaster corridor.

3. Two new office buildings (250,000 sq ft.+) and five new residential projects downtown (preferably over by Le Bijou).

4. Lots of development on the North side of West 7th Street.

5. Anything interesting at all on the Upper West side. A building, a taco stand, anything.

I slaved over this list for at least two minutes. And I just don't see lots of new, tall office buildings in my dreams for the city. I want people and people-centric stuff.

#23 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:51 AM

I agree that the Fort Worth CBD doesn’t have to be like Dallas’s. But being a native and having lived here many years, I have concluded rightly or wrongly that we are ambivalent about growth. I believe Fort Worth decided to be a big city way back when; otherwise, why were the high rises downtown built? Once the CBD started to become dense, there was no turning back. But I also believe it’s possible, through wise planning, to continue CBD growth while still keeping Fort Worth folksy. What irritates me is when grandiose construction projects are announced but never completed due to financial or other reasons (as is shown elsewhere on this website).

#24 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

What irritates me is when grandiose construction projects are announced but never completed due to financial or other reasons (as is shown elsewhere on this website).

I can't disagree with that. I definitely believe there's some truth to the "build it and they will come" philosophy in Dallas. But I like what we've got going. I just wish there was more of it.

I mentioned in another thread a little while back that I heard there is an office building in the works between the Tower and the old Pour House building.

So that's something. And it's not grandiose, so maybe it will happen.

#25 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

The New Calatrava Bridge in Dallas lampooned in The Dallas Observer, March 1 - 7, 2012.

"Just pretend the new Calatrava bridge really is opening - and worth the money......." Jim Schutze, DO

To read the entire story online

type:dallasobserver.com/2012/03/1/news

search and click: Just pretend the Calatrav Bridge is really opening, sit back and listen to Lyle

#26 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

This thread appears to cover the Calatrava Bridge and Museum Tower in Dallas, both of which are complete now.  Regarding the Museum Tower vs. the Nasher, what a mess!  Though, I about dropped my iced tea this morning when I read this in the DMN:

http://www.dallasnew...kullduggery.ece

Now the story has gone from mess to very odd scandal  Having gone through a condo purchase, I've learned firsthand how its value can be affected by the building's reputation,  Controversy, law suits, bad press make potential buyers run away like their hair is on fire.  Too bad this is happening to such a beautiful building (and too bad about the museum, too).  Gonna need some Solomonic wisdom over this one.

#27 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

That's fascinating.  Glad it's happening over there and not over here.

#28 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

The Museum Tower saga continues.  I really can't believe heads haven't rolled over all this.  If the idiots that run the Dallas Police & Fire Pension weren't in government roles (ie if they ran hedge funds or mutual funds or private client wealth), they would have been out of jobs years ago.  I can't imagine how the projected returns on that investment must look at this point.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20140402-museum-tower-hires-technical-firm-to-help-solve-glare-dispute.ece

#29 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

Could they replace the current windows with less reflective windows?

-Dylan

#30 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

It has certainly lived up to its expectations with its share of drama.

#31 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:38 AM

I know Fort Worth's skyline isn't going to get a new office tower anytime soon, but I've said before I would have expected highrise residential towers to have altered the skyline by now. Meanwhile, a 33-story condo tower was announced for Dallas in the DMN this morning.  Driving south on 35 towards DTD, it's amazing how all the residential towers have contributed in changing the Dallas skyline. Museum Tower might be a dud, but from what I understand, the other condo towers have done quite well. That said, I don't think the condo market is very strong in Fort Worth, but the apartment market is. Can we get at least one highrise apartment tower here?  I would have thought there would have been several by now.  

#32 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

I'm surprised the issues with the newest Calatrava bridge haven't received more coverage in the media:

http://www.dallasobs...kayaks-10681157

#33 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:13 AM

I'm surprised the issues with the newest Calatrava bridge haven't received more coverage in the media:

http://www.dallasobs...kayaks-10681157

Agreed. Beyond the Dallas Observer, I've not seen much.

Guess if were one were a pessimist you could compare it to some of the Panther Island stuff over on this side of 360... 

#34 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:12 AM

I was reading the Dallas Business Journal this morning and ran across this article.  It's about the West End in Dallas, but what got me was the photo.  When I last worked in downtown Dallas a little over ten years ago, when you looked across the freeway from the 40th something floor of Fountain Place, I would say 85% of these buildings were not there.   I know this is that horrible city to the east, but the growth of Uptown and Victory Park is pretty impressive.  Although, I think the architecture of many of the new buildings could be better, imo. 

https://www.bizjourn...eal-estate.html

#35 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:42 AM

All of the development in that direction has made an interesting skyline from certain viewpoints along I30 -- it is a long tail of similar height buildings to the north.

#36 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 10:02 PM

Whew!

I, for one, had cold chills just before clicking on this thread thinking there would be an announcement of a 300-310 meters super tall coming to the Horrible City to the East.  I know it can happen for Dallas, but I am just not prepared now to juxtapose that sort of thing with what we have currently in Downtown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users