Photo
- - - - -

West 7th Development

Cultural District W. 7th Street Urban Villages New Construction Mixed Use Development

• Please log in to reply
1601 replies to this topic

#101 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Nov 26 2007, 01:42 PM) View Post

A little grist for the rumor mill: I've gotten word that some other tenants going in to West 7th will be LA Fitness, Fireside Pies, Brut, Iron Cactus, Tom Tom, and Splitsville (a high-end bowling/food thing).

Brut - The champagne store http://www.brutdallas.com/ OR Brut - The cologne and race car team http://www.brutworld.com/ ??? newlaugh.gif

Splitsville looks awesome!!! http://www.splitsvillelanes.com

#102 dustin

dustin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:20 AM

tom tom? like the GPS handhelds?

#103 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:47 AM

YES!

No. Not GPS. tongue.gif

It's a wonderful Asian bistro from Uptown, Midtown, WestEnd ? area of Dallas, near Mockingbird Ln.(75). I'm sorry, I don't know Dallas that well as far as "village" bearings to a location other than a highway or street. It's where all the MU living is and Taco Diner and other places are. GREAT food and atmosphere. Raspberry Mojitos are TOPS.

I've asked the Management at the Dallas location about any FW location prospects, they didn't hint much but will look forward to serving us their best. Wonderful people, the husband owns a neighborhood bar nearby there too. Good community oriented folks. Forget (been since Sept.) during our conversations if the concept was a chain or not, has multiple ownership though. Great place. Can't wait.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#104 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:48 PM

Just a random thought, but I recently visited Austin’s answer to the “urban lifestyle center” concept called the Domain. It’s really quite nice. To me, what makes the Domain so uniquely pleasant is the efficient and unobtrusive way head in parking and traffic flow is managed through the development. No easy feat in the land of mammoth SUVs and dual cab pick-ups.

By comparison, although I really like both the West Village and Mockingbird Station in Dallas, their “street” ambience often seems choked and subsumed by the constant and intrusive movement of similarly sized vehicles.

Just hoping that traffic and street parking management is an important consideration for those planning the three Seventh Street developments in Fort Worth.

#105 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:42 AM

Demo work is underway on the old Acme buildings now.

IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#106 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:24 AM

In response to the parking comment, I am sad to report that the plan only includes parking for the Cypress site---no extra. This would have been the perfect time for the city to step in and create a parking PID, pay to build the extra parking and be re-paid through collecting parking fees. Unfortunately, I think it's too late for that---I don't know where you'll park for lunch at La Familia, or drinks at Ten...

#107 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:32 AM

I think Museum Place seems to be managing the parking stuff much better than West 7th, unless W7th plans to have on-street parking (haven't seen evidence of it if they do). MP's going to have extensive on-street parking to complement their garages.

--

Kara B.

#108 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(redhead @ Dec 17 2007, 11:24 AM) View Post

or drinks at Ten...

I go here a couple times a week. If they don't start getting customers, we won't have to worry about their need for parking. This is a VERY laid back and unpretentious cocktail lounge, I encourage anyone to go out there and support them. They leased and built a little too early, I hope they can hold out for the developments to finish.

#109 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE(bhudson @ Dec 17 2007, 01:58 PM) View Post

or drinks at Ten...

I go here a couple times a week. If they don't start getting customers, we won't have to worry about their need for parking. This is a VERY laid back and unpretentious cocktail lounge, I encourage anyone to go out there and support them. They leased and built a little too early, I hope they can hold out for the developments to finish.

We have just recently found this place! It is great! We have been there only on Friday evenings after 9pm. Great menu!

mb

#110 guest

• Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:35 PM

---I don't know where you'll park for lunch at La Familia, or drinks at Ten...

Montgomery Plaza parking lot, that would create a lot of foot traffic crossing 7th - surely MP wouldn't allow that to happen.

#111 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE(concretist @ Dec 17 2007, 11:35 PM) View Post

Montgomery Plaza parking lot, that would create a lot of foot traffic crossing 7th - surely MP wouldn't allow that to happen.

I'm a big believer in the free market. If enough people want to park, I'll bet business finds a way to get it done. Maybe all that stuff along the south side of 7th street, east of Foch could become street level retail with a couple of levels of parking above. I can't believe that body shop and the run down retail will stay there too long. Has anyone heard of concrete plans for that space yet?

#112 guest

• Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Dec 18 2007, 08:34 AM) View Post

QUOTE(concretist @ Dec 17 2007, 11:35 PM) View Post

I can't believe that body shop and the run down retail will stay there too long.

What run down retail are you referring to?

#113 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(concretist @ Dec 18 2007, 12:02 PM) View Post

I'm thinking he means the former Istook's German car tuners/wig store/whatever it is now at the corner of 7th & Foch. Along with the Caliber Collision place and the other body shop and such.

--

Kara B.

#114 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Dec 18 2007, 02:35 PM) View Post

QUOTE(concretist @ Dec 18 2007, 12:02 PM) View Post

I'm thinking he means the former Istook's German car tuners/wig store/whatever it is now at the corner of 7th & Foch. Along with the Caliber Collision place and the other body shop and such.

Bingo. I probably could have been less direct and more specific at the same time. And I know Caliber is split off from the 7th & Foch corner by the 7th Street Station apartments, but to me it's the same basic scenario. Valuable property that doesn't quite fit with the new vibe. Something will change right around there and if the parking needs are great enough, someone could do it there.

#115 guest

• Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:22 PM

[/quote]
Something will change right around there and if the parking needs are great enough, someone could do it there.
[/quote]

The low hanging fruit is gone. There is no land for sale in that area. The last two lots sold were on Carroll and 7th and they sold for 100 buck per square foot ($625.000.00 per lot), not exactly the price you want to pay for parking lots. Redhead is right, as is her indomitable nature - the city blew it.

#116 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Dec 18 2007, 01:12 PM) View Post

...if the parking needs are great enough...

Don't be silly. We'll all be riding light rail, of course! rolleyes.gif

#117 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

Give it time. It's coming. It's inevitable. The momentum is building, just wait and see. Light rail is vital for this city's future.

As for parking - it's the city, not the 'burbs. People will just have to accept that sometimes they won't be able to park five feet from their destination.

</rant>

--

Kara B.

#118 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE(concretist @ Dec 18 2007, 05:22 PM) View Post

The low hanging fruit is gone. There is no land for sale in that area. The last two lots sold were on Carroll and 7th and they sold for 100 buck per square foot ($625.000.00 per lot), not exactly the price you want to pay for parking lots. Redhead is right, as is her indomitable nature - the city blew it.

Really? I drove by there yesterday and saw a for sale sign on one of the industrial buildings on Norwood, south of the new stuff.

Where money is involved, there is always an opportunity. I was thinking more of a multi floor garage than a parking lot. This is supposed to be urban. Think vertically. Take it up. Those lots look to be roughly 500 X 325. There is a lot of room in one of them to bury a garage in the middle surrounded by retail. Even if you're all the way over to Lancaster, that's not much of a walk to hit the whole area.

But if the market doesn't need it badly enough. It won't happen on its own. Kind of like light rail.

#119 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Dec 18 2007, 04:28 PM) View Post

Give it time. It's coming. It's inevitable. The momentum is building, just wait and see. Light rail is vital for this city's future.

As for parking - it's the city, not the 'burbs. People will just have to accept that sometimes they won't be able to park five feet from their destination.

</rant>

That's what valet is for! Pull up front in your Escalade, let the valet handle it, and walk right in the store.

#120 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:12 PM

Actually cberen is right about the parking, in that is exactly what Cypress plans. Vertical structures wrapped by retail at the ground level, office and residential above. That was my point: if they added one more floor with the city's help (to be reimbursed by parking fees) the problem could have been solved...but such was not the case.

Concretist is totally right: low hanging fruit is gone, and now Cypress is looking north of 7th since no one else seems interested in selling to them. Great time to be in Fort Worth!!!

#121 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:36 PM

Well, I tried to go down Foch street earlier today. Couldn't decide on Chimy's or Ten... didn't really even know if either were open. But I nearly missed the turn because my Foch St. landmark, the Acme building, is no longer.

Just a pile of rubble and rebar.

#122 bobr

bobr

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Dec 18 2007, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (concretist @ Dec 18 2007, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Istook's has been gone for about a year and a half. The Flower Market has been in this location and has purchased that property. There is no WIG store. You perhaps are referring to Gavrel Furs, which is my store, and has been there for about 15 years. Drop by sometime and look around my building. It is actually a nice art deco designed building and I have no plans of moving. I will have a problem with people parking in my lot and will have to play the "bad guy" and start towing since my parking lot will be the only easy place to park in the area. I tried to tell the city council members that people simply won't go into a parking garage if they just have to pop into a store for a minute or two. They will take the easy path as always, and park in my lot. I wanted the city to ask cypress to build back from the street just enough for a bit of short term parking in front of their buildings, but they just ignored my letter. The mexican restaurant customers use my parking on the side of my building where my employees park every day. And many nights they use my whole parking lot. But I have so far just tried to be a good neighbor and not complain, but as parking becomes more and more difficult, I'm afraid i'll be forced to act.

I understand that cypress sold the building that is attached to my neighbor at the Flower Market on the east. Backwoods is supposed to move there. I welcome this move. It is good to see that the businesses that have been in the area for a while are able to stay. If I were to try to rebuild my building somewhere else it would cost me way more than what I could sell for now. I have almost 10,000 sf of building including a 1350 sf below ground vault. Not to mention that I don't want to move. I have paid my dues in this area, staying here for years, and now that it finally is booming I deserve to be able to stay. Although I have been thinking recently that a restaurant would go nicely here and probably make me more money than my current business smile.gif Only problem is that I no nothing about the food industry! But being in the fur business in Texas some people say I could sell ice to the eskimos smile.gif

#123 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:20 PM

bobr, welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around, your perspective would be very welcome here.

#124 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:20 PM

I agree with Chris. We would love to hear things from your perspective. Welcome to the forum!

#125 Texas Super

Texas Super

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:High Rise, Sports Facility, Educational, Residential, and Commercial Construction. Motorcycle riding in the Texas Hill Country and Arkansas.

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jan 3 2008, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with Chris. We would love to hear things from your perspective. Welcome to the forum!

Does anyone know who the General Contractor is and what the construction schedule looks like?

#126 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:15 AM

Cypress building "back from the street" would have been a mistake. No place for front parking lots from here on out. The buildings need to be right up against the sidewalk. What they did need to do was incorporate a lot more on-street parking, whether head-in or parallel. Everything I've seen indicates that they haven't really done so, but if they have then that will solve the issue. Museum Place will be a lot better in this regard, I think.

--

Kara B.

#127 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

Neither development needs more parking, IMO - 7th street just needs rail transit!

#128 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:12 PM

so the solution then is to just slap a rail line down the center of seventh and have a trolley run the half mile length of that stretch of road? sounds good to me. rolleyes.gif as much as it's going to pain some of you to read this: you could build 2 or 3 of each of these 7th street projects in the time it will take for effective light rail to hit fort worth. developers will respond if/when light rail becomes a reality, but they can't plan for that in the near term - certainly not if they want their projects to be successful. it doesn't do anyone any good for the banks to foreclose on an underperforming project - developers, bankers, shoppers, residents of the city, or chat board commentators that like a bunch of new projects to talk about.

ag, the only issue i have with your comment on street level parking is the traffic disruption that it causes - especially parallel parking. for one, no one in texas knows how to parallel park. secondly, that fact that in order to do it correctly one needs to pull in front of the space and back in creates a traffic nightmare. we love tailgating each other in slow moving traffic and parking lots (see dallas' west village). as you will find at southlake town square, narrow streets and head-in parking can lead to traffic problems as well. without ample room for wider streets you almost need to have exclusively garage parking (i'm inclined to believe that southlake would have had an easier time widening roads than w. 7th will). if you want a good example, the grove that caruso development did in california is outstanding - their garages alone are worth checking out the project.

all this being said, it would seem that the plans are already finalized for each of these projects, so we're all just whining about spilled milk.

#129 jmilam

jmilam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (PLS @ Jan 3 2008, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so the solution then is to just slap a rail line down the center of seventh and have a trolley run the half mile length of that stretch of road? sounds good to me. rolleyes.gif as much as it's going to pain some of you to read this: you could build 2 or 3 of each of these 7th street projects in the time it will take for effective light rail to hit fort worth. developers will respond if/when light rail becomes a reality, but they can't plan for that in the near term - certainly not if they want their projects to be successful. it doesn't do anyone any good for the banks to foreclose on an underperforming project - developers, bankers, shoppers, residents of the city, or chat board commentators that like a bunch of new projects to talk about.

ag, the only issue i have with your comment on street level parking is the traffic disruption that it causes - especially parallel parking. for one, no one in texas knows how to parallel park. secondly, that fact that in order to do it correctly one needs to pull in front of the space and back in creates a traffic nightmare. we love tailgating each other in slow moving traffic and parking lots (see dallas' west village). as you will find at southlake town square, narrow streets and head-in parking can lead to traffic problems as well. without ample room for wider streets you almost need to have exclusively garage parking (i'm inclined to believe that southlake would have had an easier time widening roads than w. 7th will). if you want a good example, the grove that caruso development did in california is outstanding - their garages alone are worth checking out the project.

all this being said, it would seem that the plans are already finalized for each of these projects, so we're all just whining about spilled milk.

Excellent points. Without the extensive parking, there would be no businesses in the area. Most of the tight, street level parking only cities are also older cities that were heavily developed before the explosion in the auto market. If there is not free easy parking all of those businesses will be gone. If you take it even further, if there was not free parking after 5 and on weekends downtown, those businesses would be gone as well. And, parking garages are not cheap....

#130 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

I'm not whining - did I sound like I was? Because I wasn't. I'm just pointing it out. On-street parking is a good thing, helping to create a barrier between pedestrians and auto traffic and also to slow down traffic. Sometimes, traffic needs a little disrupting. And none of those streets need to be widened any more than they are - 7th Street is already too wide and could stand to be brought back to four lanes with on-street parking its entire length between the river and the museums.

I know everybody wants to keep thinking in terms of cars, but this city needs to wake the heck up and realize that we have to have some freakin' vision about this sort of thing and that we cannot simply keep building stuff that is centered around cars anymore. We have to put equal or greater emphasis on pedestrians, bicycles, and transit as compared to cars if we're going to be setting this city up for the future. Even if it's not ready yet, we can't ignore that it's coming and keep doing the status quo. Fort Worth deserves better than that.

--

Kara B.

#131 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Jan 3 2008, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not whining - did I sound like I was? Because I wasn't.

figure of speech, lost in translation... wasn't accusing anyone of whining, but the phrase seemed to fit well.

And none of those streets need to be widened any more than they are - 7th Street is already too wide and could stand to be brought back to four lanes with on-street parking its entire length between the river and the museums.

i was referring to the streets that will eventually run through the developments, not the main thoroughfares - hence the reference to southlake. 1709 (southlake blvd) is certainly wide enough, but the streets that actually run though the town square are quite narrow, a complaint of many patrons.

as for the status quo, i don't disagree with you that our auto-centric culture is in jeopardy, but that doesn't mean its going to change any faster. you can't plan a development for something that may or may not occur 10 or 20 years down the road - you won't be around to see the benefit because the bank will have foreclosed on you already. until there is substantial progress made, the money won't be there to chase around what ifs. its likely to be cheaper and easier to make adjustments when the what ifs actually happen.

#132 bobr

bobr

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Jan 3 2008, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cypress building "back from the street" would have been a mistake. No place for front parking lots from here on out. The buildings need to be right up against the sidewalk. What they did need to do was incorporate a lot more on-street parking, whether head-in or parallel. Everything I've seen indicates that they haven't really done so, but if they have then that will solve the issue. Museum Place will be a lot better in this regard, I think.

I was not in favor of front parking lots for cypress, just some head-in parking in front of their buildings. I realize that this can be a pain on a high traffic street, but some short term non-garage parking is needed i think. My suggestion was just to push the buildings back 20 feet or so for 1 row of head-in parking in front of most of the buildings. I don't think it would have inhibited pedestrian traffic either. Just might have eased the parking problem that we all know is coming. Just limit these spaces to 1 hour parking and I think it would have been a great help. But that badly needed parking space would have meant mega-bucks to cypress in terms of lease space, so they had no incentive to do it. It would have taken the city council to act, but nobody was really listening to me back then. I wish I had found this forum earlier, maybe something could have been done.

#133 bobr

bobr

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (PLS @ Jan 3 2008, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not whining - did I sound like I was? Because I wasn't.

figure of speech, lost in translation... wasn't accusing anyone of whining, but the phrase seemed to fit well.

And none of those streets need to be widened any more than they are - 7th Street is already too wide and could stand to be brought back to four lanes with on-street parking its entire length between the river and the museums.

i was referring to the streets that will eventually run through the developments, not the main thoroughfares - hence the reference to southlake. 1709 (southlake blvd) is certainly wide enough, but the streets that actually run though the town square are quite narrow, a complaint of many patrons.

as for the status quo, i don't disagree with you that our auto-centric culture is in jeopardy, but that doesn't mean its going to change any faster. you can't plan a development for something that may or may not occur 10 or 20 years down the road - you won't be around to see the benefit because the bank will have foreclosed on you already. until there is substantial progress made, the money won't be there to chase around what ifs. its likely to be cheaper and easier to make adjustments when the what ifs actually happen.

I strongly agree that you have to plan a development around the mode of transportation of the day. We HOPE W7th will become the highly pedestrian urban village we all want. Many HOPE light rail will be included, but to plan a huge development without adequate parking for the current mode of transportation - CARS, is a huge mistake. Back about 8 years ago or so, the large building attached to Istooks former place (next door to me) was leased to a school. The parking for that building was not near ample for a school, and twice a day we had to chase people out of our lot. I got to be known as a "mean guy" to many of those people, but I was just trying to protect my business. And about 10 years ago or so, Acme leased the building that was to the west of me across Foch St. to an internet company - Flashnet, and they grew so fast that their employees parked in my lot every day. I had to go over and ask them to move under threat of towing, but every new day several other employees would park in my lot. Not to mention their customers who would park there for short periods all day long. The one time I towed someone it turned out to be someone I knew, a friend actually. So it was just not worth the stress to worry about towing. I just had to keep asking people to move. I really don't need to have to make that part of my daily routine. And then there are the people that get verbally abusive when you ask them to move. Oh, that really makes my day. So you can see that parking has ALREADY been an issue around my part of W7th in the past and this time I am afraid it will get rediculous.

#134 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:24 AM

I do know that the city will not even consider head-in parking in that area...I know from experience. Because of the So7-Trinity Parkway debacle, no one really knows where the arena traffic will be routed. Since the last traffic impact study (there have been three, I believe) the "new and improved" route is to disperse the traffic along Currie and Foch from the south to 7th, although the city wants to encouage the use of Lancaster as an alternative. The problem is that Cypress' plans want the Currie-Morton intersection to be a four-way stop, which certainly won't allow traffic to diisperse very quickly.

#135 dustin

dustin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

When everyone stops driving ginormous SUVs, i will gladly favour head-in parking. If you have ever tried to park at Great Outdoors or blue bonnet bakery you will understand. Pulling out of those type of spots can be perilous. Putting that kind of parking on 7th AND adding the kinds of traffic they are expecting would be a huge mistake. On the interior streets of the development, that would be perfect, just not on 7th.

#136 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:18 PM

I was referring to the interior streets, not 7th. The city would not even accept the application!!! They just said "this type of parking is not allowed in that area." I tried to argue, but was summarily dismissed. The problem is that even if you own the property, you cannot control the street parking, and most buildings in that area have very little parking of their own.

#137 guest

• Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

I saw Mose's Transmission on Currie and 6th moving out today. Fort Worth Camera bought the building and is relocating there. I enjoy seeing local business hang in the cultural district. I hope 6th street becomes the antithesis of the Big Box and chain stores coming South of 7th and currently located at Montgomery Plaza. There are rumors floating around that some of those big box stores behind MP may soon be going dark. I've also heard they're not having such an easy time of getting tenants for the Cypress Development as well as people who put down deposits for condos at MP wanting their money back. 2008 could be a tough year and parking might not be such a pressing issue, at least for now.

#138 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

I agree with wanting to retain local businesses in the mix on 7th Street. However, the FW Biz Press published a pretty upbeat article over the holidays about FW's real estate and development prospects for 2008...

http://www.fwbusines...lay.php?id=6852

#139 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

Do you know specifically which big box stores might be closing at Montgomery Plaza?

#140 guest

• Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (ramjet @ Jan 5 2008, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with wanting to retain local businesses in the mix on 7th Street. However, the FW Biz Press published a pretty upbeat article over the holidays about FW's real estate and development prospects for 2008...

http://www.fwbusines...lay.php?id=6852

I can't disagree with the article. There are several projects currently under construction, building generally does boom right before a bust. I just put more stock in what the local land owners and the realtors with feet on the ground are telling me, as opposed to a puff piece in the FW business press.

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jan 5 2008, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you know specifically which big box stores might be closing at Montgomery Plaza?

The realtors who told me this said big box stores, plural, mentioning only Office Depot in the particular. Being a land owner, albeit a small one in the cultural district I've made it my business over the past copula months to visit Ross, Marshalls, Famous Footwear, Petsmart, Office Depot and Pier1, and to be frank, I'm generally the only one in there...

#141 bobr

bobr

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:37 PM

I was glad to see that a construction fence has been put around the old jubulee cafe. Hopefully that means this eyesore will soon be coming down.

#142 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (concretist @ Jan 5 2008, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The realtors who told me this said big box stores, plural, mentioning only Office Depot in the particular. Being a land owner, albeit a small one in the cultural district I've made it my business over the past copula months to visit Ross, Marshalls, Famous Footwear, Petsmart, Office Depot and Pier1, and to be frank, I'm generally the only one in there...

Not trying to challenge your assertions, but I was in all of those MP stores over the holidays and they were quite busy - certainly as busy as any I've visited here in Austin. And that FWP article included interviews with commercial real estate agents among others in it's "puffiness." Perhaps your contacts should call the FWP and offer a different perspective...

#143 guest

• Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

That's great news, Ramjet! Over the holidays, for a two week period, those stores were busy. Make that one pyrrhic victory for Famous Footware?

#144 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

I was in SuperTarget twice in December and it was VERY crowded both times. One time was a Saturday evening...

#145 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (jefffwd @ Jan 6 2008, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in SuperTarget twice in December and it was VERY crowded both times. One time was a Saturday evening...

I hope this means their stock will start going up, TGT has been my worst holding.

#146 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (concretist @ Jan 6 2008, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's great news, Ramjet! Over the holidays, for a two week period, those stores were busy. Make that one pyrrhic victory for Famous Footware?

Stores like that had to know that they were getting in the area early, and that traffic would be pretty light for the first 2-3 years until the development fills in. The new development on 7th Street right now is a novelty. In 3 years it will be a destination, for all of Fort Worth.

#147 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:02 PM

I agree their real estate group should have researched the area and known what they were getting into. A few of the boxes may be struggling nationwide and this may be looking for the lagging stores to close

#148 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (bobr @ Jan 5 2008, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was glad to see that a construction fence has been put around the old jubulee cafe. Hopefully that means this eyesore will soon be coming down.

It is now a pile of rubble. Anyone know what will be taking it's place? How about a clone of the beautiful bank next to it...FW's own twin towers?

#149 Tony

Tony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (txsloth @ Jan 10 2008, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (bobr @ Jan 5 2008, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is now a pile of rubble. Anyone know what will be taking it's place? How about a clone of the beautiful bank next to it...FW's own twin towers?

Yeah, cause you can't have enough drab bank buildings.

#150 Tony

Tony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (Papaw @ Jan 6 2008, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jefffwd @ Jan 6 2008, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope this means their stock will start going up, TGT has been my worst holding.

I was told by someone who works for Target that that Montgomery store is among the best revenue generators in the state and rising (if I remember they rank in the top five already, but that is just from memory).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users