895 replies to this topic

#101 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

I started a thread for the conversion of the current All Needz Plumbing building on South Main:  http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=5889

710Main2.jpg

--

Kara B.

#102 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Kevin, do you think any of these other projects need threads of their own?

PS-You guys remember this old rendering of S. Mian? It's been around since before I posted here. It seemed like a long shot back then, and now it seems like its a few years away!

4f77238423704cb6aa3ede310ff915b1.jpg

Streetcar pls!

#103 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:05 PM

Yeah, check out the streetcar; it seemed like it would never happen, and now...

My blog: Doohickie

#104 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:52 PM

Ouch. That was just hurtful.

#105 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:15 AM

Today, the Star-Telegram has an excellent, comprehensive piece about the history of the Near Southside revival. It's the main story on 1A and takes up almost two full pages inside. The online edition has video.

If you open it through the FWST tweet, you should be able to read for free: https://twitter.com/...919177399889920

#106 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:15 AM

There is an article in today's Fort Worth Star-Telegram about Fort Worth South.  The link is below:

http://www.star-tele...le15407396.html

#107 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:27 AM

Ouch. That was just hurtful.

Yeah, I'm still smarting from that.

Anyway, this is a minor development, but a development none the less:  Zio Carlo Magnolia Brew Pub is now known as Chimera Brewing Company.  They held a private event Wednesday night which had a pretty good turnout, and a grand reopening.... ummm... Saturday I think.  I think they will be updating and slightly expanding their menu.  They already have some of my favorite pub food (sandwiches and pizza) and they recently started serving desserts.

I think it's more of a tweak than a total re-do of the place, and a rebranding. 

Let them get resettled, but it might be a good location for a future forum lunch.

#108 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:12 PM

There is now construction underway at the 2 story medical office building(s) at the triangular lot just west of Trimble Tech's baseball fields. 

#109 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:07 PM

Here's a FWBP article about the Condo project that recently wrapped up on May ave. south of Magnolia. It also talks a bi about the groups future plans, Forest Park Tower, and Schaumberg's past projects and potential future investments. 

http://fwbusinesspre...Southside-.aspx

#110 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:23 PM

$213 per sq ft? Holy moley.

#111 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

Anyone know what this is? 

It's at 1007 Main. 

1545971_10205420174817257_22791381370896

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#112 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:03 PM

I noticed that as well. Another Main/Penn area fix up. Looks like aneat rooftop for a restaurant.

#113 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

HopFusion headed for Fort Worth’s Near Southside

http://www.fwbusines...843b50b835.html

#114 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:10 PM

Absolutely!  I should have posted that.  I ride bikes with Macy and Matt, the co-owners.  They hope to be brewing by year's end.

11143237_810952735620285_209315714182024

#115 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:42 PM

By the way, if you have an old bicycle you aren't using, HopFusion is collecting bikes to use in the decor of the brewery.  You can contact them via their Facebook page.

#116 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

By the way, if you have an old bicycle you aren't using, HopFusion is collecting bikes to use in the decor of the brewery.  You can contact them via their Facebook page.

Crap. Already got rid of mine... 

Oh well. 

7fwPZnE.png

#117 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:27 AM

More small S. Main news, Tacoheads will be opening a brick and mortar store at 119 S. Main, which is somewhere near Amphibian Stage productions. 

https://www.facebook...?type=1

#118 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:24 AM

Awesome.  This is one reason why food trucks/carts can be a big benefit to a central city - it gives entrepreneurs a way to get a foot into the urban core despite the cost, get successful and established, and later gives them the opportunity to turn that success and experience into a physical location.

--

Kara B.

#119 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:50 PM

1001 Bryan, 

eVQwACU.jpg

Building as it stands now

#120 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:13 AM

Bryan Avenue looks like it might be turning into an off-Main entertainment district. If you start at Rosedale and go north, there is the little place above, a couple empty blocks, then

. Republic Street Bar
. Treymark Vodka (is that a new distillery?)
. HopFusion Ale Works
. Shipping and Receiving (a block east on Calhoun)

Hardly a cohesive district, but they are dots that could be connected with other like business to build a decent bar/entertainment district.

#121 jsfslls

jsfslls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:24 AM

I couldn't find this anywhere in the forum, so I decided to add it just in case some people haven't seen it.

This is the FWSI Near Southside Progress Report for 2015. Towards the bottom of the report, there's some residential, mixed use and historical renovation projects that include what looks like to be a new rendering of the South Jennings Apartments, a mid-century modern project at 6th Avenue & Oleander Walk, apartments at Jennings & Morphy designed by Schaumberg Architects, The Vickery & South Main Mixed Use project that was just posted in that forum, renovation of The Laundry at 428 Hemphill and a couple others.

http://www.fortworth...port-ONLINE.pdf

#122 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:18 AM

428 Hemphill restoration:

428+BOARD_06+17x11-1.jpg?format=1500w&st

Current:

LOG_2661.jpg?format=750w&storage=local

--

Kara B.

#123 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:40 PM

Fancy!

#124 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:05 PM

Bryan Avenue looks like it might be turning into an off-Main entertainment district. If you start at Rosedale and go north, there is the little place above, a couple empty blocks, then

. Republic Street Bar
. HopFusion Ale Works

Hardly a cohesive district, but they are dots that could be connected with other like business to build a decent bar/entertainment district.

Add this little development to that list, http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=5700

I couldn't find this anywhere in the forum, so I decided to add it just in case some people haven't seen it.

This is the FWSI Near Southside Progress Report for 2015. Towards the bottom of the report, there's some residential, mixed use and historical renovation projects that include what looks like to be a new rendering of the South Jennings Apartments, a mid-century modern project at 6th Avenue & Oleander Walk, apartments at Jennings & Morphy designed by Schaumberg Architects, The Vickery & South Main Mixed Use project that was just posted in that forum, renovation of The Laundry at 428 Hemphill and a couple others.

http://www.fortworth...port-ONLINE.pdf

Wow fantastic post! There is a TON of good stuff in here. I'll copy some of the things out and post them in their respective threads. 

428 Hemphill restoration:

Go Southside go!

#125 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:19 PM

The work at 428 Hemphill is a big improvement.  I look forward to seeing it take shape.

#126 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:13 PM

Few more small projects from TMA-CHA, just in case you haven't gotten enough yet :)

Doctors office at Rosedale & Lake

Untitled-5.jpg

"Travis Avenue Apartments" not sure where this is. 

i6BIBNn.jpg

Somewhere on Cannon, nearby Hemphill judging by the background. 

8csQjvT.jpg

#127 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:56 AM

Rosedale & Lake is actually apartments upstairs, medical offices and retail space downstairs.

The Travis Avenue project is, I think, directly behind Dr. Bajaj's office/apartment building on Lipscomb, across from all of Dr. Aggarwal's increasingly-elaborate office/apartment developments.  The Travis building is also Dr. Bajaj.  I think it's interesting that the two of them seem to have this friendly race toward ever-larger mixed-use projects.  A lot of the medical professionals were extremely skeptical of the new Southside "neighborhood" zoning that required them to include apartments, but they've been so successful that they seem to be going bigger and bigger with each expansion.

It looks like the site for Bajaj's new project on Travis has now been cleared and a construction fence is up.

--

Kara B.

#128 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:33 AM

This is great news.  I really like what is happening to the area and I'm just glad that I am a resident of this part of town.  From time to time, like this weekend, I give my cycling friends a tour of the area on bicycle.  One of my friends commented on how great the neighborhood is becoming.  Eventually, I will turn to these developments for listings on the main site, but I have still been focusing on the Stockyards.

#129 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

While I get as excited as everyone else when I see a cool ambitious rendering of a new project, often people commission those renderings before they have secured their funding, so we can't assume that every building that displays a rendering will necessarily translate to a complete project.  Often these projects unfortunately don't work out financially. 

Its still a good sign.  Glad to read about more progress in small infill sites, filling in with more residential and commercial density. 

#130 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:15 PM

In expounding off of what Urbndwlr said, we have countless numbers of drawings of projects that have never gotten off the ground.  Some only go as far as hand drawn sketches, while others get as far as a solid floor plan, elevations, and renderings to the level that have been posted here.  I have one project, mentioned elsewhere on this forum, that went as far as having the stage above and about 50% complete construction documents before it was cancelled.  I'm also sitting on two projects for the same client where the documents are 100% complete.  We have been told those two buildings are on hold.

Finally, there are the rare occasions where the architect completes the construction documents and the project is cancelled, and finally, never constructed.  These go into the records as unbuilt.

#131 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:24 AM

. Republic Street Bar
. HopFusion Ale Works

I got a peek around inside HopFusion.  Great things are afoot.  Much of the demolition inside the building is done.  In the next couple months you should see exterior changes, including a large patio deck added to the NW portion of the building.  It will have a slightly obstructed (but still pleasant) view of the skyline.  There was a large rollup door facing Bryan at some point; that door will be opened up and expanded.  I also got to try some of the beers and they are unbelievably good.

There is a large space on the NE end of the building that is not being leased by HopFusion.  The owner is reportedly seeking a restaurant for that space, preferably something that could have synergy with the brewery (i.e., cooks with beer, a beer garden, something like that).

There is also a new BBQ place that will open (or maybe already is) on Bryan; they may use HopFusion brews in their sauce (they have some early samples to experiment with).

I think the rebuilt Main Street will be the tourist/family destination, and a block east on Bryan there will be several places that are frequented more by the locals.  It's kind of exciting to listen to Macy's vision for the brewery and the surrounding area.

#132 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:44 PM

Rosedale & Lake is under site prep (Rendering a few posts up)

#133 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:43 AM

This is great news.  I really like what is happening to the area and I'm just glad that I am a resident of this part of town.  From time to time, like this weekend, I give my cycling friends a tour of the area on bicycle.  One of my friends commented on how great the neighborhood is becoming.  Eventually, I will turn to these developments for listings on the main site, but I have still been focusing on the Stockyards.

As a new resident to the Southside, I have to say, it's simply the best neighborhood in Fort Worth. 

#134 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:10 PM

http://www.fwtx.com/...e/pouring-glory

^ There's an article with more info on what Doohicke was talking about, which is going into 1001 Bryan. 

#135 jsfslls

jsfslls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:12 AM

Jennings, from Penn to VIckery, and Vickery, from Jennings to S. Main, was paved over. Never thought the sight and smell of fresh asphalt would be so good.

#136 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:22 AM

Sweet.  I've been out of town the last week or so; can't wait to check that out (on my bicycle).

#137 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:57 PM

The striping hasn't been done yet, so be advised, it's a bit of a free-for-all.

--

Kara B.

#138 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

The striping hasn't been done yet, so be advised, it's a bit of a free-for-all.

Stripes? I don' need no stinkin' stripes.

#139 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:50 PM

Speaking of Vickery, the warehouse structure on the farthest Southwest side (above Henderson) is proposed to become a branch of Cook Childrens, offices I believe. Looks like it could bring a lot of jobs to the area. 

SCR590_1.jpg

#140 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:32 PM

SW corner of Vickery and Adams? That's a sharp looking redo.

#141 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

There is a lot bounded by Hemphill, Peter Smith, Broadway and Grainger that was recently cleared, it's now completely empty, it was formerly home of Brian's collision. The lot is 1 block from the Phoenix apartments, across Hemphill from 428 Hemphill in post #122, and across Grainger from the currently undergoing site prep 400 S. Jennings apartment building. That puts it within 1 block of around 400 units, and along with being on a major thoroughfare (Hemphill) I see the lot having great potential to build something significant. Has anyone heard anything about it?

#142 jsfslls

jsfslls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

^I still haven't seen anything about that.

I was reading through the sales on FWB and I saw that MPC Rosedale, which I believe is another part of the Bedford company that's doing Magnolia on West 5th & Vickery, just bought 33,353 sq. ft. of land at 2100 W. Rosedale. It might just be an office, but it should be interesting to see what happens there.

http://www.fortworth...1a7166d74d.html

#143 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

Crimson Builders. Somebody from the company has posted on here occasionally.

#144 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:36 PM

Re post #122, 428 Hemphill restoration. Look like it will be called "The Laundry" No signs of construction yet. Additional renderings http://www.thelaundryfw.com/

DSC_0955.jpg

#145 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:12 PM

This might be one of my favorite projects going right now. Someone should be flogged for what was done to that building.

#146 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

Don't have a pic, but that Church's Chicken on the corner of Rosedale and Jennings is shut down and boarded up. Seeing how it's the only building on the block, I'd say that makes for another grand opportunity for mixed use...

12002901_10206236302619942_1616241995104

PLENTY of room. 

7fwPZnE.png

#147 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:26 PM

I've had my eye on that lot to. TAD lists the bulk empty part as being owned by BOARD OF REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SYSTEM, so that's a rather interesting, not sure what they would do with such a large and prime block.  

There were houses on the block that gradually began to dissaper after 2005, and the lot was cleared of trees in 2008 or so (using google earth)

Also worth noting the southern part of the block to the West is for sale

While at it, they ought to take out that ugly strip mall across the way (with the family dollar & subway) and that office store about 2 blocks down Rosedale to the East, both are the biggest eyesores on that street. 

#148 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:47 PM

UT? 

You know it's funny, I thought of TCU having a satellite campus right there in that area... but across the street where that strip mall you're talking about is. Would be interesting to bring in more youth and education in this spot. 

Good info.

7fwPZnE.png

#149 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:54 PM

The remainder of that lot other than the chicken place was going to be a mental health facility of some sort at one point in the 2000s, but it never happened.  It's just been vacant since then.

And I too would be thrilled to see the strip mall across Rosedale go away.  It's a terribly inappropriate design for the area now.

--

Kara B.

#150 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:03 PM

So here are just the few things I have in mind for this lot: 

- EECU Credit Union (basically replacing the one on West 7th) 
- a new rehab center (replacing the one near the downtown Masonic Center)

- 4 to 10 story apartments 
- Small college campus or facility. 
- Farmer's Market 

I would suggest a hotel (a fairly large one, at that) but the Southside isn't developed enough for that.

7fwPZnE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users