• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:26 PM

Let's do something a little different and have a contest. I will even throw in a prize for the winner - a very nice prize if you ask me. I don't know how hard the contest will be. I guess if you already know the answer it will be easy.

Here goes:

Yesterday, I took a little backroads road trip and ended up in Brownwood which has an interesting old downtown area. The city was obviously quite prosperous during the 1920s but, unfortunately, like so many other West Texas town, it does not seem to have ever fully recovered from the Great Depression.

While exploring downtown, I was pleasantly surprised to discover a surviving store building from a once successful retail chain that had locations in a number of Texas towns. Not only is the store building in decent condition with many of its original interior details appearing to be intact from a peek through the windows, it looks as if someone is in the process of restoring it.

The contest is simple: the first person who can correctly identify this retail chain wins the contest and the prize.

The pictures below will provide some clues and here are some others.

This chain had locations in a number of Texas towns. Fort Worth had one. So did Mineral Wells. So did Hillsboro. So did, obviously, Brownwood.

This chain opened its first retail stores in the 1920s and experienced phenomenal growth. In 1926, the chain had 10 stores. By 1930 it had 550 stores.

This chain was successful enough to have its own in-house private brand record label. Such store brand record labels were quite common at the time and often featured excellent recordings by some of the era's jazz greats recording under various pseudonyms. Today collectors refer them as "dime store labels" even though they were not limited to just dime stores. Large department stores such as Hudson's in Detroit and mail order giants such as Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward also had their own record labels.

The chain also sold its own brand of radio sets. In fact, I have a beautiful wooden 1939 table top "farm radio" shortwave/standard (i.e. AM) broadcast set sold by this chain which is in working order. A "farm radio" is a radio set which required batteries and was thusly named because large parts of rural America were not electrified until the 1950s. The batteries were very expensive (especially for many rural residents during the Depression) so such radios were rarely left on as idle background chatter. Because such batteries are difficult to obtain today, mine operates from a workaround "battery pack" of ten modern 9 volt batteries and a single modern "C" battery. This chain's products were far more popular in rural areas than they were in the cities.

If you are over 45, chances are very good that at some point in your life you have been inside one of this chain's stores or, at the very least, walked or driven past one in operation. If you are under 45 chances are just as good that you have at least heard of this chain.

Now, here are some basic rules to the contest: Only one guess per person allowed - a posting listing every 1920s retail chain imaginable will be disqualified as will "it is either ___ or ____" postings. If after posting your answer you decide that you want to change your mind, you may do so just as long as you make it very explicit in your posting "I am changing my answer to ......." In fairness towards others I ask that if you are a native or former resident of Brownwood that you please disqualify yourself from posting your answer publicly. (You may, however,email me your answer privately at dismuke@dismuke.org and if you are the first former Brownwood resident to do so and nobody else has provided the correct answer on the Forum, I will send you the prize to you as well. In other words, you will not be penalized for being from Brownwood - but I want to give others a chance as well ).

Now, the prize for the winner will be a collection of CD-Rs containing the following:

- An audio CD featuring approximately two dozen tracks of popular recordings from vintage "Hit of the Week" records. Hit of the Week was a one-sided cardboard 78 rpm record sold through newsstands for 15 cents from 1930 - 1932 during the worst years of the Great Depression. Even 15 cents was more money than most could spare for phonograph records and the company that made them folded in 1932. All of the recordings are from my collection and have been restored by yours truly using the new audio restoration equipment that I purchased several months ago.

- An MP3 CD featuring approximately 100 half hour episodes, including commercials, of the old Burns and Allen radio program staring George Burns and Gracie Allen. Most of the episodes are from the 1940s but there are a few from the 1930s and early 1950s as well.

- An MP3 CD featuring approximately 100 half hour episodes, including commercials, of The Shadow. This was a very long running series. The episodes on this CD are from 1937 to 1942. Some of them star Orson Wells as Lamont Cranston a.k.a. "The Shadow."

- Two MP3 CDs featuring almost 75 hours of vintage radio news broadcasts from the 1937 Hindenburg disaster to the assassination of JFK. The vast majority of the broadcasts focus on the 1938 - 1945 years with coverage of the events that led up to World War II, on-the-scene reports from the London Blitz, breaking coverage of Pearl Harbor, the various battles on both fronts of the war, D-Day and the death of FDR. Broadcasts are from all of the era's major networks, NBC, CBS, Mutual, the BBC and, on the later broadcasts, ABC.

- An MP3 CD of between 32 and 40 hours of various Big Band era remote broadcasts, mostly from hotel ballrooms. Bands include Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Phil Harris, Paul Whiteman and a rare complete 1 hour 1933 broadcast of Rudy Vallee's pioneering Fleischman's Yeast Hour

I have tried to put together a variety of items so that there should be at least something of interest for anyone - and if not, they might make nice gifts to someone who is. The winner should give me up to a week to burn and label the CDs and to find a spare moment during business hours to drop them off at the post office.

So, here are the photos. Good luck!

Posted Image
Above is a full view of the building from the front. This store opened in June, 1929. Because of the hot weather, advertisements in the local newspaper announced that that building would have several hundred fans running as well as iced water available for customers. Some of the vintage ceiling fans can still be seen through the front window.

Posted Image
This is the single most important clue as to which chain this building was designed for. Most of this chain's stores had this very beautiful logo. You can see a similar one in downtown Mineral Wells. However, there seem to have been some exceptions as I am aware of one instance of a store building put up by the chain that apparently did not have it.

Posted Image
Detail along building's roofline.

Posted Image
More detail along building's roofline.

Posted Image
Detail on building's front facade.

Posted Image
Looking through the glass at the building's window display area. The original window display areas are pretty much still intact.

Posted Image
Floor tile at store's entry. The store has two front entry ways separated by a display window. Both entries feature this tile

Unfortunately, I was unable to get any decent photos of the interior. However, ornate pressed metal ceiling and the mezzanine area is still intact as are some of the vintage ceiling fans. I am not sure exactly when the chain left this particular location but it was, undoubtedly many decades ago. It is amazing to me that the interior was not more significantly altered since then.

Downtown Brownwood is very much depressed with lots of very nice buildings sitting empty and boarded up. So I applaud whoever it is who is apparently putting money into bringing this surprisingly intact little gem back to life.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#2 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Historic buildings and landscapes, local history, current events, coffee, hard liquor, and arguing!

Posted 11 July 2004 - 02:46 PM

W. T. Grant?
WWSPFD?*

History is but the record of the public and official acts of human beings. It is our object, therefore, to humanize our history and deal with people past and present; people who ate and possibly drank; people who were born, flourished and died; not grave tragedians, posing perpetually for their photographs. ~Bill Nye, History of the United States

For me there is no greater subject than history. How a man can study it and not be forced to become a philosopher, I cannot tell. ~George E. Wilson

*What Would Susan Pringle Frost Do?

#3 kenkuhl

kenkuhl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Photography, Architecture, Cycling, Broadcasting, Art

Posted 11 July 2004 - 07:55 PM

Montgomery Wards?

#4 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:19 PM

One thing I forgot to mention in my posting was that I will not be providing the answer until Monday evening. If neither of the present answers are correct and nobody else provides a correct answer, I will provide additional clues every day until somebody eventually figures it out. If the correct answer is already posted by Monday evening, I will confirm it and we will have our winner. If you think that an answer already submitted is correct, well, it is too late to be the winner but feel free to chime in.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#5 bryanr

bryanr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:50 AM

I belive it might be the Kress chain.
Paschal Class of 1976

#6 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:28 AM

Woolworth's ?

#7 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:48 PM

What a fun idea!

I think I'm wrong, but I'm going to guess McCrory.

#8 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2004 - 06:56 PM

Silvertone

There's a brand with history - phonographs, radios (and tubes and antennae), guitars, ... and a record label.

Put my $1 on Sears, please.

#9 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:25 PM

Sorry, guys, you can stop guessing now, because Kenkuhl has already supplied the correct answer. It is the Monkey Wards building and it was almost a victim of progress like the Fort Worth store.

Austin Chronicle Article on Br'wood MW Building
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#10 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:45 PM

It is the Monkey Wards building and it was almost a victim of progress like the Fort Worth store.

Well, "progress" is not the term that I would use for it. At least from an aesthetic standpoint, I don't think architecture has progressed very much at all since the late 1920s/early 1930s. Quite the opposite. And what is about to happen to the Fort Worth store is nothing short of vandalism - and I will never forgive those fools on the city council for voting to publicly subsidize it. But anyhow, I digress before I have even started.

Andy is correct: kenkuhl correctly identified the building as a former Montgomery Ward store. So congratulations, kenkuhl. You will have quite a time capsule coming your way. Drop me a line at dismuke@dismuke.org or though this Forum's personal messaging feature with the snail mail address you would like me to send everything to. Give me about a week or so to get all of the CDs burned and dropped in the mail.

And to Kip Wright, bryanr, seurto, pmburk, gdvance and AndyN, if you will all drop me a line with a snail mail address, I will send each of you the audio CD of the vintage cardboard Hit of the Week records for participating in the contest. Many of the recordings have never been commercially reissued - so it contains some pretty hard to find stuff. Again, give me a week or so to get everything put together.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:59 PM

Dismuke, thanks for running the contest. It has added a little variety to the forum.

#12 kenkuhl

kenkuhl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:17 PM

The photo of the logo rang a bell, but I wasn’t certain. Then I did a search and found Austin Chronical article.

I did some more searching for information about this building and found that there was quite a lot of controversy in Brownwood surrounding it in 2000. It was slated to be torn down for a new Post Office. Some residents spoke up to save the building. Others said they could care less if it was torn down. The argument evidently got fairly heated. I also found this in a 2001 article: “One of the buildings, which used to house a Montgomery Wards in the ’20s and ’30s, is now being renovated and will soon be opened as a multi-level clothes shop/spa.”

The third (and most comprehensive) article I found was in our Star-Telegram, but unfortunately they charge for their archived articles. It is titled “Old Building Spurs New Controversy: Brownwood’s plans for post office stalled”, dated May 30, 2000. I purchased it ($2.95) and it is an interesting article about the building and the battle, but regrettably I would be violating the copyright by posting it here. (If you do an archive search of the Star-Telegram for “Old building spurs new controversy” you will find the summary and can purchase the article.)

----

I might not have spent so much time researching for the contest if it hadn’t been for the prize. I worked in radio for 11 years (before ownership deregulation, ie. ClearChannel) and Dismuke’s prize is an absolute treasure trove!! I will be listening to my prize when I drive to Brownwood. After all the reading I’ve done about the town and the great building, I really want to see it for myself.

Thanks Dismuke, for the contest & the prize!
-Ken

#13 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 01:57 AM

The Texas Observer article reminded me of Larry McMurtry's The Last Picture Show. I'm glad I live in a rare part of West Texas where communities thrive and where attitudes are tolerant.

#14 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:42 AM

Thanks, Dismuke - I emailed you my address for my consolation prize. Can't wait to hear the CD! I adore old/rare music.

I really like the idea of this contest - it adds some excitement and variety to the forum. I wonder if it might be something we could do periodically, maybe even with other members contributing?

#15 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 13 July 2004 - 09:36 AM

Dismuke - I agree with pmburk, this is a good idea. I will also be getting in touch about my consolation prize (although I really wasn't expecting anything). That is a beautiful bldg and hope it finds a good "home." Thanks again! :cry:

#16 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:00 AM

And to Kip Wright, bryanr, seurto, pmburk, gdvance and AndyN, if you will all drop me a line with a snail mail address, I will send each of you the audio CD of the vintage cardboard Hit of the Week records for participating in the contest.  Many of the recordings have never been commercially reissued - so it contains some pretty hard to find stuff.  Again, give me a week or so to get everything put together.

I just wanted to add that I received my CD from Dismuke yesterday and listened to some of it last night. Very enjoyable! All stuff I hadn't heard before and all very unique. Pleasant listening. Thanks! :?:

#17 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:18 AM

Dismuke - Also want to let you know I got my disk in the mail yesterday, but haven't had a chance to listen yet. Will be very interested.

Thanks again :?:

#18 kenkuhl

kenkuhl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 10:11 PM

Wow! I've now had the opportunity to sample a little from each of the CDs from Dismuke containing hundreds of hours of vintage radio broadcasts! They are really very enjoyable, and I am really glad I won the contest!!!

Dismuke- Thanks a million!

-Ken

#19 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Historic buildings and landscapes, local history, current events, coffee, hard liquor, and arguing!

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:44 PM

Thanks for the CD, Dismuke! May I have your permission to use it for educational purposes?
WWSPFD?*

History is but the record of the public and official acts of human beings. It is our object, therefore, to humanize our history and deal with people past and present; people who ate and possibly drank; people who were born, flourished and died; not grave tragedians, posing perpetually for their photographs. ~Bill Nye, History of the United States

For me there is no greater subject than history. How a man can study it and not be forced to become a philosopher, I cannot tell. ~George E. Wilson

#20 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for the CD, Dismuke! May I have your permission to use it for educational purposes?

Sure, that shouldn't be a problem.

Just curious - what sort of eductational use do you have in mind?
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#21 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:25 PM

Telling them about the history of the music and playing it in class.
WWSPFD?*

#22 zootwoman

zootwoman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:10 PM

Let's do something a little different and have a contest.  I will even throw in a prize for the winner - a very nice prize if you ask me.  I don't know how hard the contest will be.  I guess if you already know the answer it will be easy.

Here goes:

Yesterday, I took a little backroads road trip and ended up in Brownwood which has an interesting old downtown area.  The city was obviously quite prosperous during the 1920s but, unfortunately, like so many other West Texas town, it does not seem to have ever fully recovered from the Great Depression.

While exploring downtown, I was pleasantly surprised to discover a surviving store building from a once successful retail chain that had locations in a number of Texas towns.  Not only is the store building in decent condition with many of its original interior details appearing to be intact from a peek through the windows, it looks as if someone is in the process of restoring it.

The contest is simple:  the first person who can correctly identify this retail chain wins the contest and the prize.

The pictures below will provide some clues and here are some others.

This chain had locations in a number of Texas towns.  Fort Worth had one.  So did Mineral Wells.  So did Hillsboro.  So did, obviously, Brownwood.

This chain opened its first retail stores in the 1920s and experienced phenomenal growth.  In 1926, the chain had 10 stores.  By 1930 it had 550 stores.

This chain was successful enough to have its own in-house private brand record label.  Such store brand record labels were quite common at the time and often featured excellent recordings by some of the era's jazz greats recording under various pseudonyms.  Today collectors refer them as "dime store labels" even though they were not limited to just dime stores.  Large department stores such as Hudson's in Detroit and mail order giants such as Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward also had their own record labels.

The chain also sold its own brand of radio sets.  In fact, I have a beautiful wooden 1939 table top "farm radio" shortwave/standard (i.e. AM) broadcast set sold by this chain which is in working order.  A "farm radio" is a radio set which required batteries and was thusly named because large parts of rural America were not electrified until the 1950s.  The batteries were very expensive (especially for many rural residents during the Depression) so such radios were rarely left on as idle background chatter.  Because such batteries are difficult to obtain today, mine operates from a workaround "battery pack" of ten modern 9 volt batteries and a single modern "C" battery.  This chain's products were far more popular in rural areas than they were in the cities.

If you are over 45, chances are very good that at some point in your life you have been inside one of this chain's stores or, at the very least, walked or driven past one in operation.  If you are under 45 chances are just as good that you have at least heard of this chain.

Now, here are some basic rules to the contest:  Only one guess per person allowed - a posting listing every 1920s retail chain imaginable will be disqualified as will "it is either ___ or ____" postings.  If after posting your answer you decide that you want to change your mind, you may do so just as long as you make it very explicit in your posting "I am changing my answer to ......."  In fairness towards others I ask that if you are a native or former resident of Brownwood that you please disqualify yourself from posting your answer publicly.  (You may, however,email me your answer privately at dismuke@dismuke.org and if you are the first former Brownwood resident to do so and nobody else has provided the correct answer on the Forum, I will send you the prize to you as well.  In other words, you will not be penalized for being from Brownwood - but I want to give others a chance as well ). 

Now, the prize for the winner will be a collection of CD-Rs containing the following:

- An audio CD featuring approximately two dozen tracks of popular recordings from vintage "Hit of the Week" records.  Hit of the Week was a one-sided cardboard 78 rpm record sold through newsstands for 15 cents from 1930 - 1932 during the worst years of the Great Depression.  Even 15 cents was more money than most could spare for phonograph records and the company that made them folded in 1932.  All of the recordings are from my collection and have been restored by yours truly using the new audio restoration equipment that I purchased several months ago.

- An MP3 CD featuring approximately 100 half hour episodes, including commercials, of the old Burns and Allen radio program staring George Burns and Gracie Allen.  Most of the episodes are from the 1940s but there are a few from the 1930s and early 1950s as well.

- An MP3 CD featuring approximately 100 half hour episodes, including commercials, of The Shadow.  This was a very long running series.  The episodes on this CD are from 1937 to 1942.  Some of them star Orson Wells as Lamont Cranston a.k.a. "The Shadow."

- Two MP3 CDs featuring almost 75 hours of vintage radio news broadcasts from the 1937 Hindenburg disaster to the assassination of JFK.  The vast majority of the broadcasts focus on the 1938 - 1945 years with coverage of the events that led up to World War II,  on-the-scene reports from the London Blitz, breaking coverage of Pearl Harbor, the various battles on both fronts of the war, D-Day and the death of FDR.  Broadcasts are from all of the era's major networks, NBC, CBS, Mutual, the BBC and, on the later broadcasts, ABC.

- An MP3 CD of between 32 and 40 hours of various Big Band era remote broadcasts, mostly from hotel ballrooms.  Bands include Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Phil Harris, Paul Whiteman and a rare complete 1 hour 1933 broadcast of Rudy Vallee's pioneering  Fleischman's Yeast Hour

I have tried to put together a variety of items so that there should be at least something of interest for anyone - and if not, they might make nice gifts to someone who is.  The winner should give me up to a week to burn and label the CDs and to find a spare moment during business hours to drop them off at the post office.

So, here are the photos.  Good luck!

Posted Image
Above is a full view of the building from the front.  This store opened in June, 1929.  Because of the hot weather, advertisements in the local newspaper announced that that building would have several hundred fans running as well as iced water available for customers.  Some of the vintage ceiling fans can still be seen through the front window.

Posted Image
This is the single most important clue as to which chain this building was designed for.  Most of this chain's stores had this very beautiful logo.  You can see a similar one in downtown Mineral Wells.  However, there seem to have been some exceptions as I am aware of one instance of a store building put up by the chain that apparently did not have it.

Posted Image
Detail along building's roofline.

Posted Image
More detail along building's roofline.

Posted Image
Detail on building's front facade.

Posted Image
Looking through the glass at the building's window display area.  The original window display areas are pretty much still intact.

Posted Image
Floor tile at store's entry.  The store has two front entry ways separated by a display window.  Both entries feature this tile

Unfortunately, I was unable to get any decent photos of the interior.  However, ornate pressed metal ceiling and the mezzanine area is still intact as are some of the vintage ceiling fans.  I am not sure exactly when the chain left this particular location but it was, undoubtedly many decades ago.  It is amazing to me that the interior was not more significantly altered since then.

Downtown Brownwood is very much depressed with lots of very nice buildings sitting empty and boarded up.  So I applaud whoever it is who is apparently putting money into bringing this surprisingly intact little gem back to life.

View Post

This is awsome. I am the owner of this building and about 3/4 of the block. It was the 23rd Montgomery Ward Retail store to be built in Texas. It opened in October 1929. The store was open until the 60s. It is a beautful building. We have been delayed in restoring it because we were sued by an attorney who had intended to flip the sale of the property from his client to his own coroporation and then to the United States Post Office. This attorney alleged that I interferred with his contract with the Post Office and with his own client. We were tied up in Fderal Court for 3 and a half years. We were dismissed out o the case. The Judge hasn't ruled yet. The attorney claims he had a valid contract for sale of real estate with the Postal Service but to this date has not produced a copy of a signed contract for sale of property. In the lawsuit he claimed reliance on their "promise" to sign. The this attorney sued me fo slander and libel because I turned him into the Texas Ethics Commission when he ran for JP becuase he never filed his campaign forms. Also because he is still bent on trying to make me pay for his deal gone sour due to his own fault. I intend to fight on to my dying breath.

Next time any of you come to Brownwood, let me know and I will give you a tour and treat you to lunch at The Turtle Restaurant loacted next door. That restoration was done by my husband and myself. We have also been at work on the Doggin Ford Bank Building, a cool old sandstone bank built in 1897. This bank was the bank for the Coggin ranch business, run by Henry Ford, an interesting character with a mysterious background.

#23 zootwoman

zootwoman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:15 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that the figure is The SPIRIT OF PROGRESS. She also adorned Montgomery Ward's tomb. Mr. Ward was the leading figure responsible for the preservation of the Chicago waterfront for the use of the public. He spent a considerable part of his fortune in legal battles to preserve the lakefront for the citizens of Chicago. I feel his kindred progressive spirit. She holds the light or torch of knowledge while using her key to open the door to the future.

#24 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:02 PM

Welcome to the forum, Zootwoman! It is rather amazing that our Fort Worth Forum is reaching all the way to Brownwood. If you would like to post photographs of the other buildings you own in Brownwood, please do so. We have an Urban Photos Forum for posting pictures of buildings outside Fort Worth and Dallas.

#25 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 08:51 AM

I smell a Forum Fieldtrip opportunity!

Sometime in January perhaps? (Of course if we all show up, I would expect lunch to be dutch treat).

#26 zootwoman

zootwoman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:35 PM

I smell a Forum Fieldtrip opportunity!

Sometime in January perhaps? (Of course if we all show up, I would expect lunch to be dutch treat).

View Post

January would be great!!!! A friend of mine forwarded a link to this site. Can you tell me more about your group?

Can we arrange local press coverage of your visit? We need to raise awarness here about the positive impact that preservation can have on the local economy.

Also how can I get a copy of your CD package. Will pay to play!

#27 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:37 AM

Also how can I get a copy of your CD package. Will pay to play!

View Post

I will be glad to put the CD package together for you. And there will be no need for you to pay. An opportunity to tour the building is more than a fair exchange. Just drop me a line at dismuke@dismuke.org and give me a snail mail address where you would like me to send the CDs. Please include words such as "Fort Worth Forum" or "Brownwood Texas" or "Montgomery Ward" etc so your message won't get overlooked as spam. It probably will be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to get everything burned to CD - so what I will do is let you know by email when I have everything together and have dropped it in the mail.

As to January, I know that there is something that I am wanting to do on one of the weekends in January. I think it might be early in the month - but I will need to find out for sure. As soon as I know, I will put up a posting here as to what weekends work best for me for a Brownwood trip.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#28 zootwoman

zootwoman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 02:10 PM

[
As to January, I know that there is something that I am wanting to do on one of the weekends in January. I think it might be early in the month - but I will need to find out for sure. As soon as I know, I will put up a posting here as to what weekends work best for me for a Brownwood trip.

View Post

[/quote]

I almost forgot, the restaurant is closed for holiday from January 2 - the 13th, so any time after that or February.

#29 kenkuhl

kenkuhl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 04:07 PM

It's great to hear the building is in good hands. I'd love to see it & visit Brownwood. A group trip would be great....

#30 zootwoman

zootwoman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:56 PM

It's great to hear the building is in good hands.  I'd love to see it & visit Brownwood.  A group trip would be great....

View Post

Well you all pick a date after January 13 and we'll show you around!

#31 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 04:48 PM

View Post

I, for one, am very interested in doing this. So far, Kenkuhl and Andy have expressed interest in doing it as well. So when is a good time for everyone? Weekends are pretty much the only time I can do it. So far, I do not have anything specific planned for any of the weekends in late January/early February. Obviously, I would want a bit of advance notice regardless as to what is decided upon - and I am sure so would zootwoman. So what works for everyone? Kenkuhl? Andy? Anyone else?

Zootwoman - there is another old building in Brownwood besides the Montgomery Ward store that I would absolutely love to see the inside of - that old empty skyscraper hotel building. Do you by chance know the owners of it and whether or not they are at all open to such things? Do you know what, if any, long term plans they have for the building? Also, I have not forgotten the CDs I am going to make for you. The last few weeks have been a bit busy for me but now that I have taken care of a few things, I should have a chance to get them burned soon.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#32 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:43 PM

View Post

I, for one, am very interested in doing this. So far, Kenkuhl and Andy have expressed interest in doing it as well. So when is a good time for everyone? Weekends are pretty much the only time I can do it. So far, I do not have anything specific planned for any of the weekends in late January/early February. Obviously, I would want a bit of advance notice regardless as to what is decided upon - and I am sure so would zootwoman. So what works for everyone? Kenkuhl? Andy? Anyone else?

Zootwoman - there is another old building in Brownwood besides the Montgomery Ward store that I would absolutely love to see the inside of - that old empty skyscraper hotel building. Do you by chance know the owners of it and whether or not they are at all open to such things? Do you know what, if any, long term plans they have for the building? Also, I have not forgotten the CDs I am going to make for you. The last few weeks have been a bit busy for me but now that I have taken care of a few things, I should have a chance to get them burned soon.

View Post

How about February 5th? Is there some major event conflicting with that? I have stuff the last two weekends of January.

I'd offer to drive everyone, but I haven't got the motor back in my bus.

#33 kenkuhl

kenkuhl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 02:59 PM

As much as I'd like to go, things have gotten extremely busy for me lately and I doubt I could spare a day for the trip.

Take some pics to post!

#34 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:38 PM

OK, even if we don't confirm February 5th just yet, I am proposing the following schedule:

Meet at Intermodal Station at 9th & Jones at 9:30am on Saturday. Anyone coming from Dallas can ride the first Saturday westbound TRE train and make it on time. If you are coming from Dallas and wish to ride with someone, you should make arrangements to do that BEFORE Saturday to make sure there is a space for you. I can have the Interurban car opened so that anyone who wants to see the nicely restored interior can do so while waiting for the others. We depart the intermodal station at 9:45 am or shortly after the TRE arrives if it is late for some reason.

The drive is about 2-1/2 hours (I believe) We should arrive between 12:30 and 1:00pm.

This is the part of the schedule that zootwoman should fill in regarding the tour and lunch. Whenever this part is done, we turn around and make the drive back to Fort Worth.

Suggestions? Any takers? Different weekend?

Ken, hopefully Dismuke or one of the other photographically inclined persons will take some pix.

#35 zootwoman

zootwoman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:53 PM

OK, even if we don't confirm February 5th just yet, I am proposing the following schedule:

Meet at Intermodal Station at 9th & Jones at 9:30am on Saturday. Anyone coming from Dallas can ride the first Saturday westbound TRE train and make it on time. If you are coming from Dallas and wish to ride with someone, you should make arrangements to do that BEFORE Saturday to make sure there is a space for you. I can have the Interurban car opened so that anyone who wants to see the nicely restored interior can do so while waiting for the others. We depart the intermodal station at 9:45 am or shortly after the TRE arrives if it is late for some reason.

The drive is about 2-1/2 hours (I believe) We should arrive between 12:30 and 1:00pm.

This is the part of the schedule that zootwoman should fill in regarding the tour and lunch. Whenever this part is done, we turn around and make the drive back to Fort Worth.

Suggestions? Any takers? Different weekend?

Ken, hopefully Dismuke or one of the other photographically inclined persons will take some pix.

View Post

Feb 5 is fine with me. Please call me to finalize at 325-646-0141 ask for Mary
The drive is exactly 2.5 hours. The Wards building is not restored. The restaurant next door is. I can also take you in some other interesting buildings.

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:18 PM

I guess we should start getting this thing officially coordinated with the times being set. I can then post it as an announcement to the entire forum.

#37 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 16 January 2005 - 09:46 AM

Hi John,

I think Pat and I can make this trip 5 February 2005. Please let us know when things get finalized.

We plan to bring our cameras (Nikon 990 and new Canon 20d) and we might even take a few panoramic 360 degree images.

Dave

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#38 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:43 AM

How does everyone feel about February 5th?

#39 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:51 AM

How does everyone feel about February 5th?

View Post

February 5th works great for me.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#40 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 12:40 PM

I will be attending, unless something comes up. We have a visitor from Canada who will be in the area starting on February 2nd. However, we haven't set any definite tours up yet.

#41 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 03:28 PM

I may be interested in attending, who from the Northeast side would be interested in carpooling. Zootwoman, did you by any chance know Pat Copeland? Love that chicken salad!

Pup

#42 zootwoman

zootwoman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:42 PM

I will be attending, unless something comes up.  We have a visitor from Canada who will be in the area starting on February 2nd.  However, we haven't set any definite tours up yet.

View Post

Yes I did. Her tea room is now where The Turtle is located. It looks a whole lot different now. I think we'll tour four or five buildings.

zoot

#43 zootwoman

zootwoman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:43 PM

Hi John,

I think Pat and I can make this trip 5 February 2005.  Please let us know when things get finalized.

We plan to bring our cameras (Nikon 990 and new Canon 20d) and we might even take a few panoramic 360 degree images.

Dave

View Post

oh boy! can I get copies???? We have a large format HP printer.

#44 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:00 PM

I guess it is time to start taking a head count for the trip. I will be attending.

#45 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:03 PM

Just in case someone wishes to go down early, or can't leave with the rest of us, our destination in Brownwood is the Turtle Restaurant at 514 Center Avenue.

#46 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:08 PM

I guess it is time to start taking a head count for the trip.  I will be attending.

View Post

I will be attending - and since I have but one head, that is the only one that I can count. I will be sure to bring it along too! :D
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#47 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:19 AM

I am going to try to attend with my husband. I drive a Tahoe, so could probably take 2-3 other passengers along. Will have to give my final answer tomorrow morning, though, as I may have something going on Saturday that I can't change. Would love to see those buildings, though!

#48 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 05:31 PM

Arrangements are set. See you all at the interurban car at the intermodal station tomorrow morning at 9:30. We'll have the A/C on so the car is nice and cool for your viewing pleasure.

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users