25 replies to this topic

#1 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:07 PM

The boutique opened this monday. I wish I had known that before I attempted to go last night. Over an hour wait....for cupcakes!!!! Needless to say, I didn't get any. I'll go back when the hype has died.

From DBJ:
Beverly Hills cupcake boutique is opening its doors in Dallas Monday.

Sprinkles Cupcakes have been featured on "The Tyra Banks Show," "The Oprah Winfrey Show," and its clients include Banks, Winfrey, Barbra Streisand, Jake Gyllenhaal and Katie Holmes.

The boutique offers more than 20 flavors, including chai latte, coconut, ginger lemon and peanut butter chip. The cupcakes got for about $3.25 each or $36 a dozen, according to the company Web site.

And sticking with the theme that everything is bigger in Texas, the Dallas location is larger than both California locations.

The Dallas store, in the Plaza at Preston Center at 4020 Villanova Drive, makes Sprinkles' fourth location. The company also has stores in Beverly Hills and Newport Beach, Calif. A store is opening in Phoenix this summer.

The company also is planning stores in 15 other cities including Houston, Chicago, Denver, Charlotte and Atlanta.

www.sprinklescupcakes.com

#2 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:04 PM

So Dallas finally has a cupcake shop...it's about time. smilewinkgrin.gif Fort Worth's has been up and running for close to a year now. And, oh wait, it's a local store - not a chain! If any of you guys haven't checked it out, I would highly reccomend it. It's called The Cupcake Cottage and it's on El Campo right off of Camp Bowie. They're doing a lot of business! Plus, the owners daughter tells me the cupcakes at the Dallas shop aren't that good...and believe me, the ones at the Cottage are AMAZING (and cheaper)!

#3 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:07 PM

Plus, the owners daughter tells me the cupcakes at the Dallas shop aren't that good...and believe me, the ones at the Cottage are AMAZING (and cheaper)!

hmmmm. Must be the water. dry.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#4 Dallastar

Dallastar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Apr 5 2007, 05:04 PM) View Post

So Dallas finally has a cupcake shop...it's about time. smilewinkgrin.gif Fort Worth's has been up and running for close to a year now. And, oh wait, it's a local store - not a chain! If any of you guys haven't checked it out, I would highly reccomend it. It's called The Cupcake Cottage and it's on El Campo right off of Camp Bowie. They're doing a lot of business! Plus, the owners daughter tells me the cupcakes at the Dallas shop aren't that good...and believe me, the ones at the Cottage are AMAZING (and cheaper)!

Aw come on Jonny, 1st of all I know Ft. Worth has more than one cup cake shop, 2nd Dallas has hundreds of cup cake shops, and yes locally owned not just chains, and I think it's okay to post about new openings of new places, with so many people here from other parts of the country (especially California) I think this would be welcome news, plus I see you guys posting about new Walmarts and Super Targets all the time, Sprinkles is a very rare and exclusive retail shop new to Texas and yes that is news.

And last, do you honestly expect the daughter of another cup cake shop to say "Wow" these cup cakes at this other shop is great! you lost a lot of cred with that one. I think you need to leave that up to public opinion. If the cup cakes are no good believe me people will not continue to pay $3.25 for a cup cake. Right now, (it may not contiue) but right now the line is continously out the door.

But thanks for your insight!

#5 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:59 AM

I try to post openings like these because I assume that there are people on the forum that are very "regional" like me. If something new is in Dallas, I wanna try it. And since I'm in FW often, when something new opens there, I wanna try it there also. If something interesting opens in Plano, Arlington or Southlake, etc...I'm there!! I'm going to be in FW tomorrow and I'm planning to checkout 29 Degree Tavern, another opening I posted by the way. And I'm upset that I haven't heard of this Cupcake Cottage since, afterall, cake is my favorite food. I'm glad you mentioned it Johnny, as I now plan on trying them out on Saturday as well. smile.gif

#6 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

29 Degree Tavern is zzzzz.

It's a glorified Bennigan's from the same company.

#7 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE(Buck @ Apr 6 2007, 10:39 AM) View Post

Yeah, that's what I heard. But I'm willing to try it anyway, mainly the beer. From what I understand, that location is kind of cursed, so it may not be around very long.

#8 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(Buck @ Apr 6 2007, 10:39 AM) View Post

I have not gone to the "29", but I heard ALL about it from a "29" bartender who was talking his head off (I seriously thought it was going to EXPLODE) about it from it's concept to infancy to present stage, at EMBARGO of all places and on a Sat. night. I wanted to tell him to "SHUTTIE!" and then I was going to ask him, "SO why aren't you there right now?", but I figured that would have just broken his little "29" heart, so I kept it in.

As afar as cupcakes, I guess I will HAVE to try JR23's FW choice for "BEST CUPCAKES IN THE REGION!!!" and stock up for this EASTER WEEKEND.

Cupcakes. Brings back some "good time" feelings about all those elementary in-school weekday birthday parties that I never had, but always celebrated for the other students.

Cupcakes. THE SWEET THERAPY! wacko.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#9 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:33 PM

When I read Jonny's reply I thought the same thing you guys said in your responses.

I also thought something must be wrong that people today are willing to pay $3.29 for a single cupcake. I know they are putting flavorings into the cupcakes to make them taste real good, but they are still just cupcakes for crying out loud. I can get 1/2 dozen at Kroger for $3.29. When you consider the health benefits of eating cupcakes, what is the difference between them and Krispy Kreme dougnuts? Give me a big ol' cheeseburger for $3.29! cheeburga.gif

I guess being an old fart I would never wait in line to spend that kind of money for a cupcake. I just worry that a younger generation won't think coffee for $4.00 and cupcakes for $3.29 isn't decadent and wasteful. Give me some $3.00 a gallon gas that everyone is complaning about, it seems cheap compared to some of the things kids are throwing their money away on these days. laugh.gif

#10 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

A $3.29 cupcake is worth trying. Better be good though, orI'm gonna come lookin for JR23. Just waitin for him during the graduation ceremony. mad.gif

J/K!

I will certainly offset that splurge by enjoying me a $1 movie over in NRH. smile.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#11 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE(Dallastar @ Apr 6 2007, 07:56 AM) View Post

Aw come on Jonny, 1st of all I know Ft. Worth has more than one cup cake shop, 2nd Dallas has hundreds of cup cake shops, and yes locally owned not just chains, and I think it's okay to post about new openings of new places, with so many people here from other parts of the country (especially California) I think this would be welcome news, plus I see you guys posting about new Walmarts and Super Targets all the time, Sprinkles is a very rare and exclusive retail shop new to Texas and yes that is news.

And last, do you honestly expect the daughter of another cup cake shop to say "Wow" these cup cakes at this other shop is great! you lost a lot of cred with that one. I think you need to leave that up to public opinion. If the cup cakes are no good believe me people will not continue to pay $3.25 for a cup cake. Right now, (it may not contiue) but right now the line is continously out the door.

But thanks for your insight!

Ouch.

When did I say it wasn't OK to "post about new openings of new places"? Also, wouldn't you honestly expect the owners of a cupcake shop to know what a good cupcake tastes like? They said the cupcakes themselves weren't half bad...it's just the frosting tasted store-bought. And where the heck are you coming up with this "you lot a lot of cred" BS? Am I not allowed to have an opinion about this because my source is biased or some nonsense? That's rediculous.

And you know why people are paying $3.25 for a cupcake? Because they're from Beverly Hills. That's the way things work in Dallas - you pay as much as it takes for something fashionable, even if it isn't that good.

#12 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:10 AM

All this type of over-the-top "basic" stuff is really distorting the cost of basic living. Its unbelievable what people convince themselves that they "need". "I've had such a hard day, I need a Sprinkles on the way home."

$3 daily coffee
$2 bottled water
$3 cupcake
$50 monthly cable bill
$40 mobile phone bill

Not to mention true "basic"
$70 monthly home phone bll
$3 gas
$40K SUV
etc.

#13 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

I see your point... Gotta keep up with the sheeple...

$3.25 for a cupcake at Sprinkles
$56.95 for the Southern Fried Lobster Tail at III Forks
$125.00 for ripped jeans at Lucky
$60K for my black Cadillac Escalade
$75.00 round trip in gas from Fort Worth to Dallas and back - Priceless! wacko.gif

#14 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE(jefffwd @ Apr 7 2007, 11:48 AM) View Post

Excuse my saying so, but the discussion of specialty stores with people standing in line for ... cupcakes, seems quite surreal with all we know of the ill effects of excessive fat and sugar in diets. It seems the more you know the less you care!

#15 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Apr 7 2007, 12:39 AM) View Post

And you know why people are paying $3.25 for a cupcake? Because they're from Beverly Hills. That's the way things work in Dallas - you pay as much as it takes for something fashionable, even if it isn't that good.

The line was also wrapped around the corner in Dallas when Freebirds buritto opened in Dallas as well as when the first Steak and Shake opened near the Galleria, so I think the price has little to with it. I think it's more of the curiousity factor of "is it as good as they say". There will probably be a line wrapped around Sprinkles when it opens in Atlanta or whatever city it opens up its next store. I do think it's a little hypocritical of FWorthians to continually claim Dallas to be prententious because retailers that are extremely popular, expensive, or trendy continually seem to skip over FW for Dallas. I have little doubt if such shops landed in FW they would be applauded and well attended. However, its probably a good thing the don't stop in FW, that way FW folks can continue to say Dallas is prententious for landing them and Dallas folks can continue to say FW is country because it doesn't. Tit for Tat.
QUOTE(Prairie Pup @ Apr 7 2007, 11:28 PM) View Post

QUOTE(jefffwd @ Apr 7 2007, 11:48 AM) View Post

Excuse my saying so, but the discussion of specialty stores with people standing in line for ... cupcakes, seems quite surreal with all we know of the ill effects of excessive fat and sugar in diets. It seems the more you know the less you care!

Hey, I'm very health concious and far from overweight, but I'm of the belief that it's not what you eat, but how often you eat it. Besides good (and sometimes bad ) food is one of the few luxuries I can readily afford. So please don't chastise me for wanting to taste a cupcake. tongue.gif

#16 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Apr 6 2007, 08:59 AM) View Post

I try to post openings like these because I assume that there are people on the forum that are very "regional" like me. If something new is in Dallas, I wanna try it. And since I'm in FW often, when something new opens there, I wanna try it there also. If something interesting opens in Plano, Arlington or Southlake, etc...I'm there!! I'm going to be in FW tomorrow and I'm planning to checkout 29 Degree Tavern, another opening I posted by the way. And I'm upset that I haven't heard of this Cupcake Cottage since, afterall, cake is my favorite food. I'm glad you mentioned it Johnny, as I now plan on trying them out on Saturday as well. smile.gif

Their cupcakes are pretty good, but I prefer the cupcakes at WFM, where I don't have to worry about artificial shakehead.gif stuff or people wanting to be the first to taste their cupcakes.

#17 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Apr 7 2007, 12:39 AM) View Post

True. cool.gif

#18 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE(Keller Pirate @ Apr 6 2007, 01:33 PM) View Post

I also thought something must be wrong that people today are willing to pay $3.29 for a single cupcake. I know they are putting flavorings into the cupcakes to make them taste real good, but they are still just cupcakes for crying out loud. I can get 1/2 dozen at Kroger for $3.29.

I don't think the Kroger cupcakes are made from scratch daily with sweet cream butter, Callebaut chocolate and Madagascar Bourban vanilla. Would I pay 3.29 for one of these bad boys? Sure, at least one time. If they aren't awesome, the place will be out of business soon (that process will take longer in Dallas of course, because it will take a while for the trendiness to wear off).

It's the same reason I go to Lonesome Dove and pay $12 for a small appetizer of quesadillas on occasion. Of course I could get quesadillas at Taco Bell for $3, but they don't taste as good. smile.gif

#19 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE(hannerhan @ Apr 9 2007, 12:12 PM) View Post

...If they aren't awesome, the place will be out of business soon...

Then how can we explain Starbucks' coffee?

#20 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(mmiller2002 @ Apr 9 2007, 01:10 PM) View Post

QUOTE(hannerhan @ Apr 9 2007, 12:12 PM) View Post

...If they aren't awesome, the place will be out of business soon...

Then how can we explain Starbucks' coffee?

That would take a dissertation, but basically Starbucks puts out a marginally better product than the bulk of their competition and millions of people are willing to pay significantly higher prices for it. There many other reasons too. But cupcakes aren't coffee...it's a niche product and not a daily part of peoples' lives. For people to regularly go out of their way to purchase expensive cupcakes, they had better be good or the place won't last.

#21 CurtisD

CurtisD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Apr 9 2007, 10:56 AM) View Post

The line was also wrapped around the corner in Dallas when Freebirds buritto opened in Dallas as well as when the first Steak and Shake opened near the Galleria, so I think the price has little to with it. I think it's more of the curiousity factor of "is it as good as they say".

There you go!! My wife was one of those "pretentious" people who stood in line with some friends from work for some of Sprinkles cupcakes. They had heard of the cupcakes on Oprah (who can put a line in front of most anything) and just wanted to see if they were as good as they had heard. That's it. I got to try the product and they're delicious. Usually where cupcakes are concerned, it seems more attention is paid to the icing, but with Sprinkles, the cake alone is really good. In due time, the lines will stop, and they'll have a good, steady, loyal following. Freebirds was a good example. There's no doubt the line would be around the corner in FW also if a place opened there with such a well-known reputation.

#22 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:50 PM

I don't think I have ever eaten a cupcake I didn't like.

I have had Star "5Bucks" maybe twice in my life. And I was surely bombarded by them in S CA. But then coffee is not my AM drug of choice. Dr. Pepper is, and I am a Pepper-holic. Oh, and I love PASTAS too. Heck, eating out in general.

I think the lines created at these places are similiar to the lines at all the Star Wars Saga Opening Days. Weirdos who NEED things in their lives, and voids filled. Like a daily dose of OPRAH.
www.iheartfw.com

#23 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Apr 11 2007, 12:50 AM) View Post

I don't think I have ever eaten a cupcake I didn't like.

cheeburga.gif

#24 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:22 AM

THanks, vjackson, for posting this. I have seen these particular cupcakes mentioned in some fashion magazines and the photos always made them look so yummy! I'd be curious to give them a try, at least once, to see what all the hype is about and to see if the flavor lives up to their yummy photos!

But, I'd probably not be one to spend top dollar on a cupcake regularly. But it is neat to know Sprinkles is now close by for a try!

Thanks again!

smile.gif mary bess

#25 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:29 AM

$3.29 for a cupcake?!?! They better be super JUMBO sized tongue.gif

#26 BlueMound

BlueMound