13 replies to this topic

#1 steve-o

steve-o

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

Does anyone know anything about this project? I hadn't heard anything about it before and now suddenly, it looks like a go.

From the S-T: An $8 million condominium development on South University Drive will move forward despite protests by residents who say the 59-unit project will overwhelm already tight parking in the area just south of Bluebonnet Circle in Fort Worth.

On Wednesday, Austin-based Hammond Jones Real Estate Development asked the Board of Adjustment to allow the project's three buildings and 208 parking spaces to exceed the zoning ordinance's open-space requirement, which is meant to provide adequate green space for residents.

#2 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

$8 mil for 59 units?!?! that's an awfully small budget for that many units.

#3 Bradleto

Bradleto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:59 PM

I suppose the new development will be where some or all of the old apartments are now located. As I recall, the Rashti family owned those apartments, at least decades ago, and may have built them too.

There is a street somewhere in the Westcliff/Bluebonnet area named after Rashti as I recall.

I am not certain I understand the neighbors' concerns over 59 units and the attendant parking load... aren't there many more rental apartments there already or at least some similar number? Again, I am uncertain how much existing housing will be razed to make room for the development, so it may be a well-founded concern.

Interestingly, about 8 or 10 years ago, a little pie-shaped sliver of a lot had a for-sale sign on it and it was located on the southeast corner where University Dr. intersects with the south edge of the circle... right behind a dry cleaner as I recall. Hmm? I wondered at the time if there was enough square footage to do anything with the lot, maybe build a small office building, so I called the realtor's number and talked to a young lady who seemed to know almost nothing about the lot, had a kid screaming in the background, so I let the idea drop. This would have been a small parcel of land south of the alley, not the adjacent parking area to the north and east of the northeastern most apartment building. I don't recall ever getting a square footage figure.

Then, not so many years ago, I noticed another pie shaped residential lot on the west side of the cirlce not far from the fish restaurant, found out who was paying taxes on it, and wrote him a letter... no response. I thought it was sort of an interesting piece of land.

Bluebonnet Circle... a very neat little area and well located. I hope it all works out for the best over there.

Brad

#4 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

I was wondering about those apartments; when we drove by Sunday, it was obviously they wouldn't be standing much longer; sidewalks torn up, fence up, asbestos signs on the doors. It will be interesting to see what happens.

There is a street, Rashti, that intersects with Trail Lake Drive, northish of Manderly and southish of South Dr.

#5 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:05 PM

Industrial-ish architecture with steel roofs!? That's something I've wanted to see in Fort Worth for a long time! I'm going to be bummed if the neighborhood organization succeeds in changing the style to the same-old same-old.

I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the land, but 59 condos sounds like a pretty low density. Makes me think the design won't be very urban.

#6 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:16 PM

I saw the debate on CCTV 7 the other day. I have to agree with the residents, some retail along the base would be good. Industrial look sounds good to me.

#7 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:27 PM

The lots are cleared and constrution has begun

#8 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:49 AM

I think that fake-industrial would not look good that close to the circle. Neighborhood period-correct would look better.

#9 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

It's been nearly a year without any activity and this project looks like they ran out of money or gave up.

#10 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:11 AM

I read somewhere (probably fortworthology) recently that they're just delayed. Something about starting construction in time to open with the beginning of the next school year.

#11 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:38 AM

The project looks to be well underway:

A shot of the back of the units on the West side of University:

Shooting South from the circle, if you look closely, you can see a number of police cars doing a spot check for seat belts, inspection sticker, and registration infractions - which I haven't seen in a long time.

These certainly aren't high end units by any means and the parking is going to be tight.

#12 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

Agreed looks basic, oh well better than the apts that were there, close the street so encourages urban feel. Parking will be tight, but I am betting 2 spots per unit

#13 tjh1

tjh1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

Does anyone know if these are still for sale or if will they be rentals?

#14 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (tjh1 @ Apr 5 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know if these are still for sale or if will they be rentals?

They are for rent only and the name of the development is 'South University Centre' at 817-923-9700.
Each unit is 3 bed, 3 bath and they are divided in three sections that are 1bed, one bath each and rent for $780/mo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users