#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 11 September 2004 - 12:55 PM

The Fort Worth Chapter of the American Institute of Architects is hosting the first Tour de Architecture Bike Ride. It is a combination bike ride and architectural tour. Participants will receive a map guiding them through the city with notable architectural landmarks identified. An architectural guide will be issued with the maps that include short building descriptions.

The ride starts at 10:00 AM on Sunday, October 31, 2004 at the TCU Bookstore. The TCU Bookstore is located at the corner of W. Berry and S. University Drive. The distances are 14 and 27 miles. The cost of the ride is $15.00 until October 28th. From that point until the day of the ride, the cost will be $20.00. You can register on the day of the ride if you wish to wait. Several architects will be riding and they will be giving architectural descriptions of many of the buildings. For more information on the ride, you can contact AIAFW at 1425 8th Avenue. Checks are made payable to AIAFW.

AIAFW Web Site: http://www.aiafortworth.org

Download Bicycle Tour Registration: http://www.aiafortworth.org/Bike.pdf

Edited by John T Roberts, 28 September 2004 - 03:38 PM.

#2 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2004 - 03:11 PM

Is there a T-shirt? If so, does it have a Halloween theme?

Sounds great, though. I intend to be there regardless of T-shirt.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 03:51 PM

Yes, we will have a T-shirt. It will not have a Halloween theme, but an architectural theme.

The design for this T-shirt has been pretty painful. You would think that a group of architects could design something unique and architecturally interesting. However, no one has had time to really devote to this design and the art work for our "Architecture Month" has been slow to come.

We are going to start this ride out small, and build from this first ride. I'm sure that we will learn many lessons from it. I'm hoping to have the registration forms in the bike shops next week and we will probably have one on-line very soon.

Greg, it will be good to have you attending. I'm hoping others on this forum will be there, as well. It is also kind of fun to have a pay ride start to where I don't have to drive to the start. It is just a short bike ride away from home.

#4 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 05:21 PM

The ride sounds great, I would like to go as well. Ghughes, want to team up? Oops, I better make sure that the group I team with is riding mountain bikes and not touring bikes.

Pup

#5 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2004 - 05:51 PM

Pup, I've taken to the mountain bike for most of my riding now. So many of our streets require more toughness and tire pinch-resistance than you can find with a road bike. A group sounds like a good time: "Team Forum"

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:52 PM

I'm distributing the application forms to the bike shops at the current time. You can pick up an application at Colonel's Bicycles in the 3000 Block of S. University Drive, just up the street from the ride start and at Bicycles, Inc. at Granbury Rd. and I-20.

#7 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 03:08 PM

I'll be there! I went on the Tour de Monuments last year during Convention and really enjoyed it! It was very interesting to hear about FTW and at a slower pace than riding around in a car.

Mary Bess
Nader Design Group

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 03:33 PM

It will basically be the same route as last year with just a few modifications. We are planning on making this a yearly event that is open to the public.

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 08:55 PM

I noticed that some of the forum bicycle riders have not signed up. Time is running out and after next Thursday, the ride fee goes up to $20.

#10 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 11:17 AM

It will basically be the same route as last year with just a few modifications.  We are planning on making this a yearly event that is open to the public.

View Post

Do you know approximately how long it takes to do the 14 mile course and the 27-mile course?

I signed up for the 14 mile but might want to do the 27 mile instead, if time is on my side.

mb

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 02:41 PM

If you stop with the architects and look at the buildings, the overall average will be about 10 miles per hour. You might assume 1 1/2 hours of riding time for the short route and 2 hours and 45 minutes for the long route.

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 06:59 PM

I just wanted to tell everyone that I had a ball on the tour. We had a few logisitical problems, but overall a very fun ride. We did average 10 mph, but it was rolling time and not a total average. In the upcoming issue of the FW Business Press, you might see myself, forum moderator Greg Hughes, Architect Ames Fender, and his son King. Ames Fender and his son are Wyatt C. Hedrick's grandson and great-grandson, respectively.

#13 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2004 - 06:34 AM

It was a good ride, although I had to shortcut the last part to be on time for a birthday dinner. Thanks to the AIA volunteers for promoting a special part of Fort Worth's character.

#14 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 09:16 PM

Well, I missed it. I was concerned about the 80% chance of rain forecast for Sunday, and opted to go to Deep Ellum to see the Halloween revelers and stayed out late. No headache Sunday morning though, I've been on some serious antibiotics combatting a bronchitas, so I enjoyed the O'Douls Amber. I just figured if the heavens opened up while I was on a bike 7 miles from shelter I would pay for it. When I got outside Sunday morning I was furious, it was a nice day day and I missed the ride.

Prairie Chicken :rolleyes:

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 09:24 PM

Although it was humid, we didn't have any rain. Overall, it was fun. The AIAFW is planning to make it an annual event. Next year, we will have a larger committee and we will be more organized.

#16 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2004 - 04:37 PM

Here's a shot from the ride in Trinity Park
Posted Image

#17 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 07:29 PM

Greg, thank you for posting this picture.

#18 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 14 November 2004 - 08:31 PM

Looks like it was a lot of fun. Are there any forum members visible in that picture?

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 10:10 PM

Jonny, I don't think so because Greg did the short route and I led the long route. I will make a note that the fellow with the plastic bag in his hands (nearest the camera) is Architect Ames Fender. Ames is the grandson of Wyatt C. Hedrick, one of Fort Worth's legendary architects.

#20 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:37 PM

Actually I did most of the long route, not realizing that there were (apparently) two starts. There were four of us who, after a fashion, that took in most of the long route together.

#21 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 03:22 PM

Looks like it was a lot of fun. Are there any forum members visible in that picture?

Well...sort of... that is my sister the third face-forward individual from the right. I must be hidden behind her! What a hoot!

That is Ames Fender in the front center of photo with his back to the camera. He was the guide for this group.

mary bess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users